Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

japtor posted:

That’s the main reason they exist afaik.

How’s the graininess with them these days? I know that was an issue before way back when the retina screens started coming out, like the matte texture wasn’t fine enough and the anti glare effect arguably wasn’t worth the image degradation.

Yeah, guess I was asking if they're worth using for that purpose. I decided to move to a 2018 iPad from an Air 2 and don't know yet if display difference will bother me, so having an option to add a nice matte finish to it would be good to know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to turn my iPhone into a touchpad for my iPad? Use case would be if I had my iPad propped up on a stand and wanting to control/tap on the screen from my iPhone without having to reach across the table.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to turn my iPhone into a touchpad for my iPad? Use case would be if I had my iPad propped up on a stand and wanting to control/tap on the screen from my iPhone without having to reach across the table.

No.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So my company is sending me to training that used to come with about 5 huge binders of paper manuals and text books.

The company is now saving money by giving me a 10.5” iPad Pro. I even got to pick the color. I’m stoked!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Rolo posted:

So my company is sending me to training that used to come with about 5 huge binders of paper manuals and text books.

The company is now saving money by giving me a 10.5” iPad Pro. I even got to pick the color. I’m stoked!

Any chance you could spring for the 12.9? I use my iPad quite a bit for document annotation and review and find the 10.5 too small for that, especially in split screen.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Virtue posted:

Any chance you could spring for the 12.9? I use my iPad quite a bit for document annotation and review and find the 10.5 too small for that, especially in split screen.

Yeah, I love my 10.5 for personal use, but for work and documentation, I imagine a 12.9 would be much better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, I love my 10.5 for personal use, but for work and documentation, I imagine a 12.9 would be much better.

12.9 is the correct size for work. I use it with my O365 work account, to annotate project plans, and create network arch diagrams. Using with the Pencil and a BT/Smart Connector keyboard I can replicate 95% of my laptop workflow (that last 5% is using PyCharm on my rMBP).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Virtue posted:

It’s too late, but I’ve been using my personal iPad for this sort of coursework and it works fine. The majority of what I’ll actually be studying on it will be PowerPoint/flash card sorts of formatting.

It’s also only for a 2 week course, then I’m done with it and get to keep it. I’m a corporate pilot and do 0 desk work outside of my yearly training.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 31, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rolo posted:

It’s too late, but I’ve been using my personal iPad for this sort of coursework and it works fine. The majority of what I’ll actually be studying on it will be PowerPoint/flash card sorts of formatting.

It’s also only for a 2 week course, then I’m done with it and get to keep it. I’m a corporate pilot and do 0 desk work outside of my yearly training.

Congrats on your free iPad :D

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I use my 10.5 for pdfs and it’s great, much more wieldy than a 12.9, I can even get up and support my perfectly sized iPad with one hand. I mean does a 12.9 even fit though the door I doubt it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm still just amazed that it's cheaper to buy an iPad Pro for an one-time use than the printed documentation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm still just amazed that it's cheaper to buy an iPad Pro for an one-time use than the printed documentation.

Welcome to the future son.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

The printed documents not only get revised a lot, but they go through thousands of sets a week, so inventory has to be insanely high for something that the feds could want changed at any minute, turning literal tons of it useless.

It’s a lot lot lot cheaper to give an iPad and just have a document app that pushes updates. Every time I go to school for an airplane (until now) they give me a company duffel bag of printed material. This happens once a year.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rolo posted:

Every time I go to school for an airplane (until now) they give me a company duffel bag of printed material. This happens once a year.

I'm sorry for your loss of free duffel bags :(

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Please think of the trees.

App request incoming. I have to annotate a bunch of PDFs and would like to tie them together using an app which works cross platform between iOS and windows. Liquidtext and MarginNote seem like they might fit the bill except for the cross platform bit. Any recommendations? I use a keyboard and a pencil.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looking to buy an iPad for the wife. She wants something with pencil support and I'd rather get something more than 32gb so my options are the 128gb iPad 6th Gen or the 64gb iPad Pro. Microcenter has them both for $399 and $499 respectively.

My instinct is to just get the iPad Pro for future proofing at this point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FCKGW posted:

This is the correct choice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

FCKGW posted:

Looking to buy an iPad for the wife. She wants something with pencil support and I'd rather get something more than 32gb so my options are the 128gb iPad 6th Gen or the 64gb iPad Pro. Microcenter has them both for $399 and $499 respectively.

What is your cell plan? I was debating which iPad including the Pro and the 32GB with LTE works really well for me. I've installed all the apps that I want/need, all my personal data is in 2TB of Google Storage, $20 a month to stream whatever I want takes all my worries about not having enough storage away.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

One of my relatives has Parkinson’s and is going to in hospital for at least month. She wants something to play audio books. My current instinct is to get her the new ipad and load it up with Kindle, Audible, Netflix, etc. I’m also planning to put almost all apps bar media ones and FaceTime into a junk folder and not passcode it so the nurses can help if needed (or I guess I could put a simple code on and just write the number down :shrug:).

Is there anything I’m missing or any accessibility options I should be aware of?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Three Olives posted:

What is your cell plan? I was debating which iPad including the Pro and the 32GB with LTE works really well for me. I've installed all the apps that I want/need, all my personal data is in 2TB of Google Storage, $20 a month to stream whatever I want takes all my worries about not having enough storage away.

The 32 w/ LTE is $30 more than just getting the 128gb. Plus $20/mo.

Picked up the Pro. I have the same one in 256 and it’s amazing.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 2, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dugong posted:

One of my relatives has Parkinson’s and is going to in hospital for at least month. She wants something to play audio books. My current instinct is to get her the new ipad and load it up with Kindle, Audible, Netflix, etc. I’m also planning to put almost all apps bar media ones and FaceTime into a junk folder and not passcode it so the nurses can help if needed (or I guess I could put a simple code on and just write the number down :shrug:).

Is there anything I’m missing or any accessibility options I should be aware of?

So it’s awesome you are helping her with this but I have to wonder if maybe a kindle fire wouldn’t be better suited for this? If really all she wants is a kindle and some audio books maybe that’s the better option?

The iPad will work perfectly of course I’m just thinking that it might be easier for her to use the kindle for what she wants.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to vote Kindle Fire as well. She can purchase or browse for new books a whole easier on the Amazon device and it’s sturdier/easier to store in a hospital room. And God forbid something happens to it you can replace it 3 or 4 times for the price of that one iPad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I mean hell if audio is going to be all it's for get an old Android or iPhone and go ham.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m going to vote Kindle Fire as well. She can purchase or browse for new books a whole easier on the Amazon device and it’s sturdier/easier to store in a hospital room. And God forbid something happens to it you can replace it 3 or 4 times for the price of that one iPad.

Yeah Kindle fire is just a fantastic media consumption device of that is all you need. I keep mine on my bedside table and watch Netflix/Hulu on it at night if my wife is watching something I am not interested in, it pretty much takes a 3 foot fall off the bedside table every night when I inevitably fall asleep, roll over, and the headphone cable pulls it off. Zero damage yet.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

nerox posted:

Yeah Kindle fire is just a fantastic media consumption device of that is all you need. I keep mine on my bedside table and watch Netflix/Hulu on it at night if my wife is watching something I am not interested in, it pretty much takes a 3 foot fall off the bedside table every night when I inevitably fall asleep, roll over, and the headphone cable pulls it off. Zero damage yet.

I dropped my iPad Pro once (with Smart Cover) and now the speakers pop and hiss and sound is useless

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I dropped my iPad Pro once (with Smart Cover) and now the speakers pop and hiss and sound is useless

Your holding it wrong.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is the pro speaker decent enough to play music in something like a hotel room? Can I stop packing my Bluetooth speaker?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

Is the pro speaker decent enough to play music in something like a hotel room? Can I stop packing my Bluetooth speaker?

It's pretty good but there isn't a lot of bass.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not gonna lie: I wish I had waited another year to trade my Air 1 in since they are getting iOS 12, but oh well. It was weird being my only device that I had to punch in a password.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat this 10.5 pro screen is nice.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Not gonna lie: I wish I had waited another year to trade my Air 1 in since they are getting iOS 12, but oh well. It was weird being my only device that I had to punch in a password.

I traded in my Air pretty early on for a Mini 4 because I was having obscene storage issues with only 16GB. That was my last base storage Apple device. But an original Air is more then fine by today's standards if you don't store much on the tablet and don't play high-end games. The Gen 5/6 iPad has an identical design too, so you don't miss out on much in feature set.

But I'm very happy to see iOS 12 isn't dropping the 5S/Air era stuff, yeah.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Eh, I sold an Air 2 and got the basic 2018 iPad because I got tired of seeing little bits of lag and, more annoyingly, waiting like tens of seconds occassionally for pages of a PDF to load if I scrolled too many pages at once. It's a noticeable, though not massive, performance increase from my Air 2, anyway, so I'd definitely go from an Air 1 to the new one. The display is also not nearly as noticeably worse than the Air 2 for me, that's the only thing I was worried about. The other negative I saw was that it sounds more hollow if you tap it with your finger nail, which yeah it does, but lol at trying to make that an issue.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

But an original Air is more then fine by today's standards if you don't store much on the tablet and don't play high-end games.
I’m going to disagree with this, depending on a person's view of “fine”. I had an Air from close to release until last week, when I got a Pro. The amount of (I’m guessing) swapping out of stuff due to less RAM had gotten really noticeable. Even two tabs of SA pages had constant reloads. Many Amazon search pages were just barely functional. Control Center was borderline painful to bring up. If I accidentally brought up Music in the split pane thing it was basically non-responsive for five seconds.

All these were work-aroundable, but it’s not much hyperbole to say the Pro is a different experience, imo.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m going to disagree with this, depending on a person's view of “fine”. I had an Air from close to release until last week, when I got a Pro. The amount of (I’m guessing) swapping out of stuff due to less RAM had gotten really noticeable. Even two tabs of SA pages had constant reloads. Many Amazon search pages were just barely functional. Control Center was borderline painful to bring up. If I accidentally brought up Music in the split pane thing it was basically non-responsive for five seconds.

All these were work-aroundable, but it’s not much hyperbole to say the Pro is a different experience, imo.

I don't have any problems like this on my Air 1. I mean, I'm sure the Pro is beastly in comparison, but for the light usage I put onto the Air, such as several Safari tabs, Awful.app, Discord, Tweetbot, etc, it's fine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hope this isn’t against the rules, but I threw up an SA Mart thread selling my barely used 2018 32gb I just replaced today.

If it’s not cool I’ll edit this post into something fun I guess.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859234&perpage=40

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 6, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Hope this isn’t against the rules, but I threw up an SA Mart thread selling my barely used 2018 32gb I just replaced today.

If it’s not cool I’ll edit this post into something fun I guess.

I doubt that is against the rules, edit your post and post the link as well.

Content: my Mini 4 works fine, although I feel dumb in some ways having an iPhone X, leaving it hang out at home and use what is essentially an iPhone 6 with bigger screen instead. If the 10.5 was new I think I would pull the trigger, but I’m forcing myself not to upgrade because the Mini 4 still is honestly fine overall, and I have upcoming adult expenses (car).

But goddamn does the 10.5 look nice.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I haven’t noticed any lag or slowdown on my Air 2 since buying it shortly after it came out.

I don’t plan on replacing it until iOS support is dropped or iOS 13 and beyond bring its performance to a crawl.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, whenever they start throwing FaceID into the Pros is the time to jump/upgrade to the newest generation iPad.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Posting again but whatever:

iOS 12 beta hints at FaceID in upcoming iPads.

quote:

Touch gestures for certain features on the iPad will be adjusted or added in iOS 12—and they'll look a lot like the gestures on the iPhone X. Swiping up from the bottom will still bring up the Dock inside apps, but swiping up again will bring the multi-tasking interface. To access control center, you'll need to swipe down from the top-right of the screen.

As far as we can tell, the home button will still continue to function as before on devices that have one, but there are no guarantees that future iPads will.

The iPad menu bar has also been adjusted. The time has been moved to the far left, while the connection status and battery indicator are in the top right. That leaves a big gap in the middle. Readers and commentators can probably guess why.

Emphasis mine. Usual caveats remain for features in beta releases that may or may not make it to final release.

Also neat in the iOS12 beta, up to two faces can be registered. Officially, it's for supporting users who have trouble getting FaceID to recognize them consistently (or have a need for a significantly changed look during the day). But it could be used to register two completely different faces.

Combined with having device profiles, it'd be an easy way to share an iPad between users.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ugh, putting a notch on iPads is dumb as hell. It only exists as a design compromise on the iPhones since they had to put the camera and sensors somewhere, but this isn't really a problem an iPad should have since having even a small bezel is useful to make them easy to hold.