Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Over There posted:

I honestly can't get over the fact that I can look at a game and think "holy poo poo games can't look better than this" and then 5 years later I look and think it looks like crap.

I remember going to a GameStop when I was 16 and seeing demo footage of Gran Turismo 3 and thinking that was it, games are photorealistic now, we’re done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah pretty much. You can call Detroit a lot of things but boring isn't one of them.

The only way I describe is he perfectly threads the line between “this is really dumb a funny and I’m going to laugh so hard later” and “Plus don’t die! :ohedear:”

As soon as you put the controller down the former wins but even though I realize I’m playing a bad game even in the moment he somehow gets through the irony shields

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I remember going to a GameStop when I was 16 and seeing demo footage of Gran Turismo 3 and thinking that was it, games are photorealistic now, we’re done

It's not your case, but the "wow the gpu melter from 5 years now looks like poo poo" thing I see thrown around a lot is a bit silly if you consider that Crysis 2 came out in 2011 (looking better than a lot of games today) and Crysis came out in 2007. It's downright disconcerting that a 11 years old game still looks alright by today's standard. You can't say the same for many other older games, sure, but it shows the technology hasn't moved forward as much as people think.

Graphics are definitely not improving as fast as they did back in the early 2000's or mid 90s and it's getting harder and more expensive to make things look slightly prettier than last year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Graphics don't need to improve as much as they did back then. Games look great now. There's small advances here and there but it's not like modern games are just going to look like poo poo 10 years from now in the way a PS2 or PS1 games do.

Imo games look good enough in tyool 2018. I'd rather see them pushed further conceptually/ gameplay wise than more bells and whistles that they don't need.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just finished route c (should have been asleep hours ago!)

I think the music in the library is one of my most favourite pieces in what may be one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard. I want to be able to listen to all the chiptune versions too!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I recommend the original Nier's soundtrack as well.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I recommend the original Nier's soundtrack as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea I'm glad that they've been so dedicated to making really good single player experiences over the past few years

I think they realized they cant compete with 3rd party mp games anymore.

VideoGames posted:

I think the music in the library is one of my most favourite pieces in what may be one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard. I want to be able to listen to all the chiptune versions too!

Please play the 1st game the sound track is next level

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Yes, play the original Nier and enjoy it's amazing soundtrack.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also make sure you do D and E

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Automata has a great sound track and the dynamic changes they make are amazing... but that gestalt ost...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If I'm downloading games to my main drive and it becomes full and an external HDD is connected, will it start installing to that automatically instead or just throw up its hands and stop?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It asks you what you want it to do when you plug in the drive

I think the default was to start installing stuff on your external whether or not your internal was full?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

It asks you what you want it to do when you plug in the drive

I think the default was to start installing stuff on your external whether or not your internal was full?
Sorry I said it backwards before, the external drive is the default install location, everything queued up is set to be installed there. It's almost full though and the main drive isn't yet, so will it switch automatically?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I look forward to you finding out for us

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

beast wars taught me that using cg animation is literally always a mistake and nothing has proven me wrong yet

If you're gonna start making GBS threads on Mainframe Entertainment-produced CGI cartoons, then you and I are about to have a problem buddy :goonsay:.

God they are janky as hell by modern standards, but I love'em all. Well, except Beast Machines. And nobody likes Beast Machines.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe I'm going to expose myself as the worst games recommender here, but Inside and Little Nightmares are fun and short and very good. Even if they are both dark and creepy they aren't like, emotionally draining or anything. Really chill way to spend an afternoon imo.

I need to buy Little Nightmares next time it’s on sale. I’m obsessed with stuff like the Alice games, Henry Selick movies, etc. Dark, creepy, melancholy vibe games. Does it nail that pretty close? The art style always looks like something I would love.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need to buy Little Nightmares next time it’s on sale. I’m obsessed with stuff like the Alice games, Henry Selick movies, etc. Dark, creepy, melancholy vibe games. Does it nail that pretty close? The art style always looks like something I would love.

Absolutely. The entire game is like watching a creepy stop-motion animation.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Absolutely. The entire game is like watching a creepy stop-motion animation.

poo poo I might not even wait for a sale

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought it release day for full price and have zero regrets. It’s really great.

Plus I recently found out at least one of the devs is a very nice goon. You should buy it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

Also it's a real shame there's no button to use the slide yourself.

You 100% can go down the slide in Pascal's village.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This was me and the Resident Evil 1 Remake. Now, it doesn't look all that impressive anymore.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

This was me and the Resident Evil 1 Remake. Now, it doesn't look all that impressive anymore.

I think it still looks great honestly. The lighting is top-notch

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I thought we’d never top FF7 and FF8’s cutscenes and prerendered backgrounds on PS1. Then I thought FFX and KH would never be topped on PS2. Then I saw Heavy Rain on PS3. And PS4 has tons of games with design and art direction that make HR look less impressive.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think it still looks great honestly. The lighting is top-notch

It keeps up, but now every game looks like that but with real 3d environments too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

VideoGames posted:

Just so you know, you can chapter select to the final fight and get the other ending easily that way

You're almost there!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're gonna start making GBS threads on Mainframe Entertainment-produced CGI cartoons, then you and I are about to have a problem buddy :goonsay:.

God they are janky as hell by modern standards, but I love'em all. Well, except Beast Machines. And nobody likes Beast Machines.

Beast Wars was good poo poo, but mainly because the voice actors seemed totally on board. It was definitely an exciting thing to watch when I was in middle school. Beast Machines was loving dreck.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s real good, but I would totally say wait for a sale so you can get the DLC on the cheap. It’s OK, but not great, compared to the main game. (Haven’t finished the third part but the first two were not nearly as strong as the main game.)

It’s also one that I kind of wish they had a software cap for the frame rate, at least as an option. I played through it the first time on regular PS4 and it just looks a little odd to me at a higher frame rate. It’s not bad, but it loses something about the standard version that I actually enjoyed. “Filmic” is a weird word that is easy to poke fun at but the choppier frame rate on regular PS4 really does help sell the claymation-esque aesthetic.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 4, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Beast Wars was good poo poo, but mainly because the voice actors seemed totally on board.

YeeeEEEEEEESSssssss :hai:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Hello free x-com2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

You 100% can go down the slide in Pascal's village.

Is there a button for it? I tried walking around the top end but all I remember happening is being able to awkwardly walk/skid down it like the sand dunes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

K, time to do that chapter select. Prepare To Exit Soul.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Someone said Broforce had improved so I tried it and it has but those load times are still astonishing for such a graphically simple game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beast Wars always looked so dumb to me. I think I was just like 2 years too old for it, but I couldn't accept real looking animals turning into robots. Dino Bots though, no problem.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of quality CG animation

Edit: The part of the game I'm at has a bunch of puzzles where I turn wheels to open gates and then use my powers to freeze the wheel to keep the gate open. Cory Barlog is a Grade-A plagiarist

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 4, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gow is clearly a knackoidvania

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

Is there a button for it? I tried walking around the top end but all I remember happening is being able to awkwardly walk/skid down it like the sand dunes.

It's been a few months, but I don't remember any prompt. Just whatever the usual use/action command is, either that or jumping on it? iirc there is no special animation for it and she just sand-dunes down like you said.

I thought you meant in your original post that you hadn't found a way on it at all lol.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized I have no fun happy-go-lucky games I could recommend for VideoGames to play.

Late to the party, but Pix The Cat :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6z3bRl3I0

Think that was the first PS+ game I ever got... I still have it installed for some reason having not touched it after the 2nd or 3rd day....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pix is really fun. I wish they didnt focus so much on grinding walls though. A good pacman should reward turn timing imo but the game is still top notch fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fqk-o5Jz0&t=214s