Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

John Wick killed my dog so I had to go hire the other John Wick.

John Wick is exactly the kind of person that would have set off John Wick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
he killed his character's dog

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

They go the same was as every ambitious goon game: dying one day to two weeks in.

Yeah but there's still an ambitious stillborn goon game every week but there's been no nationsims for months

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I keep intending to finish my up the writing for my Discworld nationsim at some point. Maybe when my current game wraps up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god I thought I knew that name somehow. What the gently caress.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What game is it where each person rolls up a bunch of characters and the entire starting party is a dozen or so level 1 characters with the expectation that half aren't coming back from the first dungeon alive? I think it's an OSR game, but I can't remember which one specifically or if it's something like Hackmaster

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

What game is it where each person rolls up a bunch of characters and the entire starting party is a dozen or so level 1 characters with the expectation that half aren't coming back from the first dungeon alive? I think it's an OSR game, but I can't remember which one specifically or if it's something like Hackmaster

Dungeon Crawl Classics. It's okish but I wouldn't recommend it over any of it's peers.

A better version of this is the original Dakr Sun setting for 2e.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there a better system for playing fighter pilots than Warbirds? I'm specifically shopping around for something to run Area 88/Ace Combat in (I know about Warbirds' Jet Age expansion).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
John Wick is funny to laugh at because he's got a big head and a lot of name recognition. Historically, his GMing advice/the rules he's developed end up somewhere between falling short of the bluster or being outright bad habits to pass on. As far as I know, he's dialed back a lot on the smug persona at just the right time to not make a huge rear end of himself on social media, and he certainly works to support progressive causes. So no, he's not tabletop rpg Hitler, or a scam artist, or (as far as I'm aware) a sexual predator. You're free to feel that he's not guilty of any truly heinous crimes in tabletop rpgs.

Still, I don't see why a disclosure necessary when nobody has conflated him with genuinely toxic or dangerous individuals until Jeffrey decided to go "lol you guys sure do hate him, Zak S much?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea no one seems to hate him like we rightly hate morons like Zak, it's just kinda 'haha he's kinda a pompous wad at times and he used to be a weirdly over-adversarial GM'. Dude's a dork, it's funny to point and laugh at it when he acts like a dork but no one seems to HATE him, more just 'aw man this dingus' at worst.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wick seems like the avatar of a certain sort of old school adversarial game mastering that was extremely common for a long time across a wide spectrum of gamer's. It always sucked, but it just seemed like it was the expected way for game master's to act, and it was not uncommon for them to straight up embrace that in the most ham-handed fashion. Wick was just that writ large, a Tucker who hypes his Kobolds as if he were John Romero.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 4, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm a dummy who doesn't check the forum itself, only my bookmarked threads. I didn't know there was a general TG chat thread.

Hello! How's everybody doing in here?

I haven't played any tabletop rpgs recently but I have a friend who said that he's been coerced into a bad game. To quote him,

quote:

I got roped into a tabletop game and got pigeonholed into playing a character I don't like with abilities that make no sense with the personality I picked out and the game systems are as complicated as they are vague and the DM didn't make enough printouts so I could actually look things up to make said character and I just don't loving understand the point of the game because apparently it is not just a straightforward DM makes the scenario type game so poo poo sucks.

Something called "the sprawl." It's boring me to tears. Most of us have nothing to do and I bomb rigged a door just to do something. My character is supposed to sabotage the mission, but everyone knows that because this system is stupid so I can't be subtle about it, pretty much everything you do that isn't complete stealth risks ending the game regardless of outcome because there's some sort of urgency track that advances when you draw notice, and if I did play the saboteur seriously it would make me a tremendous rear end in a top hat

I can't say I've ever heard of it but hopefully he'll be able to just say "yo I'm not having fun, peace"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I only heard about John Wick from here and I'm just chuckling at how much he's That GM.

players must've killed his dog or something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm a dummy who doesn't check the forum itself, only my bookmarked threads. I didn't know there was a general TG chat thread.

I haven't played any tabletop rpgs recently but I have a friend who said that he's been coerced into a bad game. To quote him,

I can't say I've ever heard of it but hopefully he'll be able to just say "yo I'm not having fun, peace"

Sprawl's a PbtA game so yeah

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

If he isn't enjoying it he should drop it, same as everything else

The sprawl isn't a bad game and sounds like it isn't being run properly (I don't think there's PVP stuff in it, the GM isn't prepared or explaining stuff well, and they're being way too harsh with the Heat Clock) but if he doesn't like it, he's not going to like it 5 sessions down the line.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, I told him to drop out of it if he isn't enjoying it.

I don't know what PbtA means though

I've been tempted to try and GM a game of Gratuitous Anime Gimmick but I've been having trouble getting motivated enough to actually do anything with it. I have some basic ideas for what I want to accomplish and I have people who have already made characters but ehhh, idk. I'd at least like to GM it some day if only because it seemed relatively simple to GM. It'd be good experience since the only thing I've GMed in the past is Paranoia.

My fiancee wants me to GM that official hasbro d&d-inspired my little pony game for her and whoever gets roped into that so there's that too, but that actually has premade adventure campaigns and stuff unlike GAG which just has info about the location it takes place in and the races and classes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

FirstAidKite posted:

Unless the GM's on some real bullshit he probably means the "When you put ___ above the mission" XP triggers, which are there to encourage roleplaying and meeting your personal flaws but if you're used to dungeons-as-boardgames-you're-trying-to-win probably reads like "here's an open mechanic to gently caress everyone over for personal gain". It's a different style of game to get used to.

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know what PbtA means though

Powered by the apocalypse. Derived from Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not a Sprawl expert but I'm pretty sure it doesn't encourage PCs to actively sabotage missions, that sounds like a case of a bad GM more than a bad game.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I got back last night from the UK Games Expo, where I had a really good time exhibiting with Becky and Josh from Black Armada, Grant, Chris and Mary from Rowan Rook and Decard, and Chris/Potatocubed from Certain Death as the first outing of the UK Indie RPG League.

Grant, Chris and Mary setting up the stall.
Highlights:

• Running Blades in the Dark for three first-timers and one pathfinder player. By the end they were getting in the full spirit of things, summoning spirits and throwing packets of drugs at the watch to distract them.
  • Making back our stall costs by midday Friday, leaving the rest of the con as plain sailing.
  • Meeting a bunch of RPG authors: Luke Crane, Greg Saunders and more now own a copy of Legacy.
  • Meeting a lot of my kickstarter backers and chatting with them about what they've done with the game, as well as goons like LazyAngel.
  • Trying out the Crusader Kings board game - components were pretty basic what with it being a prototype, but it really gets across the storytelling aspect of the pc game.
  • Sitting down with the head of Fria Lagen and the guy who makes Symbaroum to chat about RPG publishing, game design, art design etc while the Modiphius folks steadfastly failed to send anyone over to us to get a book signed.

Overall it's still far more a con about buying than playing, but it felt that there was a lot more breathing room this year. The UK Indie RPG League was a great success - we're now thinking about how to expand it into a broader body for the promotion and support of UK indies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not a Sprawl expert but I'm pretty sure it doesn't encourage PCs to actively sabotage missions, that sounds like a case of a bad GM more than a bad game.

I have a compendium class for that ! A buddy made me watch Blue Thunder, I made him let me pause it to take notes.

https://pastebin.com/RexgUmVF

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Went to the UKGE for the first time: it was great!

Bought a lot of RPG stuff:

Tried a couple of games, meet up with some friends.

Your stall had a lot of cool stuff and I was very tempted to get some of the Spire maps.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

FirstAidKite posted:

Is this someone he's played with before? Honestly it sounds like this GM and possibly the other players are doing a PbtA game for the first time and struggling. This could be a situation that is solved by discussion instead of quitting

You can get the playbooks (basically a packet of rules for how to play a particular character type) here http://www.ardens.org/downloads/ and I'd suggest you forward that link to your friend, seems odd the GM didn't

Moriatti posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics. It's okish but I wouldn't recommend it over any of it's peers.

I would it's a lot better than most old school D&D clones

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 4, 2018

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I played a Sprawl session a couple of days ago and it was great. Got my washed-up terrorist fixer's telescopic retrotech eyepiece cybereyes wrecked by shrapnel in a motorbike gunfight so I had to run the rest of the mission with empty eyesockets and an auxilary camera duct-taped to my head.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

For real, it undermines the point of a heist game to compel characters to sabotage it. If it's introduced as a possibility in play by the character's actions across multiple sessions, then maybe? But the GM shouldn't be dictating something like that, especially in a PBTA game. The GM should also be sure that the players know what's going on, have handouts available for everyone, and let the players choose playbooks they like and understand.

:psyduck:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

If they were using the quickstart scenario, one of the mission brief questions does go "a corporation is leaning on you to sabotage the mission", but you're not meant to be locked into that.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

xiw posted:

I played a Sprawl session a couple of days ago and it was great. Got my washed-up terrorist fixer's telescopic retrotech eyepiece cybereyes wrecked by shrapnel in a motorbike gunfight so I had to run the rest of the mission with empty eyesockets and an auxilary camera duct-taped to my head.

This is fantastic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PrinnySquadron posted:

Went to the UKGE for the first time: it was great!

Bought a lot of RPG stuff:

This led to me looking over the Legacy 2e Titanomachy quickstart. Quick question: Is it a Reign type dealy where the players all control (for a given value of control) the same family?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Every player in Legacy has their own family, which they control over x many years as the setting changes around them (and because of them).

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Yup, each player has their own character and family. It's closer to something like a multiplayer game of Alpha Centauri, where you alternate between you sending family agents out to claim lost facilities, wage war, identify allies etc and zooming in on 1 or more of the player characters to play out events in more detail.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's the interaction between Factions and Families? The line in the quickstart rules is:

quote:

Four factions define the society of Hekaton. Players, pick one; GM, take any that remain for your own use.
So are Faction and Family synonymous, so each player picks a different faction to be their family? Or is a family a much smaller unit and you're just picking which faction your family primarily ascribes to?

e: N/m, the quickstart rules never actually say, but much later rules kind of imply it's the latter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 4, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I believe all the players’ families are in the same faction?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Sorry, yeah, faction and family are synonymous. Family is the system term, but they can act as different factions in the setting. Sorry for the confusion there, I'll see about tightening up the wording.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, all of this sounds more akin to 'Bad GM' than anything. I feel like PbtA lives and dies by the buy-in from the players (which it sounds like there was approximately zero thanks to bad GMing) and/or the skill of the GM (in getting players/themselves to react and roll with the action, but without necessarily compelling them to do anything without a distinct reward/cost).

It definitely requires a different mindset than if you were running D&D, and any internal conflict within the group is never meant to be open/metagame'd unless the player explicitly make it open knowledge. More often than not, that conflict is caused by the corporations leaning on PCs in exchange for something, but it doesn't necessarily mean 'you must sabotage/tank this mission'. I mean there's always player choice involved - they could tank it as repayment for the high-end cyberdeck they 'found', or they could cross the corporation - only to find their hacking ability being burned away from their nerves via an old Russian mycotoxin when they're captured by the corp at a later date.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flavivirus posted:

Sorry, yeah, faction and family are synonymous. Family is the system term, but they can act as different factions in the setting. Sorry for the confusion there, I'll see about tightening up the wording.
Could you go through it from the start assuming I know nothing, because now I'm triply confused :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

Could you go through it from the start assuming I know nothing, because now I'm triply confused :v:

Family == Faction. Each player controls an entire one on their own, but also controls an individual character for when the action needs to zoom in.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, all of this sounds more akin to 'Bad GM' than anything. I feel like PbtA lives and dies by the buy-in from the players (which it sounds like there was approximately zero thanks to bad GMing) and/or the skill of the GM (in getting players/themselves to react and roll with the action, but without necessarily compelling them to do anything without a distinct reward/cost).

Honestly, full stealth missions are a nightmare to do properly in any system, especially cyber/modern, to the point where I'd just avoid them entirely in most contexts.

Edit: I notice that The Spawl has the badly worded versions of Act Under Fire ("you do it") and Read The Situation ("what's the best..") as well, which could easily have caused confusion.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 4, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flavivirus posted:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Family == Faction. Each player controls an entire one on their own, but also controls an individual character for when the action needs to zoom in.
Oh right I get it. A Family is the term for a player's group of whatevers, and in this particular quickstart scenario the groups of whatevers happen to be the various factions that make up the colony. Like how in Reign a Company can be anything from a mining concern to a village to a roaming horde of barbarians.

In the full game are Families customisable? I saw a list of the family playbook titles somewhere, are they archetypes to provide a framework to hang your own concepts on or fully fleshed out groups with a fixed place in a setting?

Also is there a thread?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Splicer posted:

Oh right I get it. A Family is the term for a player's group of whatevers, and in this particular quickstart scenario the groups of whatevers happen to be the various factions that make up the colony. Like how in Reign a Company can be anything from a mining concern to a village to a roaming horde of barbarians.

In the full game are Families customisable? I saw a list of the family playbook titles somewhere, are they archetypes to provide a framework to hang your own concepts on or fully fleshed out groups with a fixed place in a setting?

Also is there a thread?

Yeah, you've got it!
The 11 different family playbooks in the game are very customisable. From their starting start array (and their role in the backstory of your group's setting) to the moves they have access to and their guiding Doctrine, everything past the core concept (e.g. "vigilantes", "tyrants", "uplifted animals") is customisable.

The playbooks a group picks radically change the sort of setting you play in - Titanomachy is one result of the combo of those four playbooks (Tyrant Kings, Enclave of Bygone Lore, Order of the Titan and The Servants of the One True Faith).

I don't think there's a dedicated server, I generally use the PbtA megathread .

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

remusclaw posted:

Wick seems like the avatar of a certain sort of old school adversarial game mastering that was extremely common for a long time across a wide spectrum of gamer's. It always sucked, but it just seemed like it was the expected way for game master's to act, and it was not uncommon for them to straight up embrace that in the most ham-handed fashion. Wick was just that writ large, a Tucker who hypes his Kobolds as if he were John Romero.

John Wick: Play Dirty posted:

There’s a new girl in my life. I say “girl,” because that’s what she is.
Barely out of high school, but smart and cute as a button. And bouncy.
She’s gained the Secret Superhero Nickname of “Happy Fun Ball.”
Cute, bouncy, and full of potential disaster. “Do not taunt Happy Fun
Ball” is what everyone says whenever someone gives her a hard time.
‘Cause you just don’t know what she’s capable of.

This 18 year old trapped near me at work is "bouncy" and has gained the secret superhero name of "I hope you didn't watch SNL in the 90s." Later I'll visit so much unpleasant attention on her at the table that I'll be able to mistake her revulsion at my unwarranted leering for genuine discomfort at the game we're playing, which I will be proud of. I will do this by rambling on for 20 minutes about how only old D&D is good and rogues are poo poo compared to thieves, before describing a session where I throw all the rules out the window so I can leer at a teenager and give her a "villain point."

John Wick: Play Dirty posted:

She shudders and hides under the hood of her sweatshirt. Poor little
thing.
Happy Fun Ball has had that Villain Point for a few months now.
Every time she’s in trouble, every time one of the other characters is in
trouble, every time they could really use a hand, I always turn to her and
say, “You know, you could spend your Villain Point.”
That’s when she shrinks down and pulls the hood of her sweatshirt over
her head.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What is Wick's problem with Rogues anyway, that one's never been entirely clear to me.