Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

Acacia REI posted:

Remember that stunt last season at Hilltop - when a zombie loudly rolling down the stairs somehow didn't wake anyone up, who for some reason were all sleeping on the floor downstairs, and if I recall correctly the front door was left open? I don't remember the details, it's all kind of a dumb blur at this point but a bunch of people died and it didn't make any sense.

The FEMA camp story reminded me of this.

I noticed this one too, and thought the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
yeah there was no excuse for the hilltop scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_-H3Tmj2c

it would be loud as hell in that old rear end house

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm pretty sure she was shooting at Naomi

Yeah, maybe. But then why not shoot Naomi after hitting Dorie :derp:
First time watching I thought he was clearly away from Naomi but re-watching, he's very close.

Something that amused me: after Dorie shot off the Vulture's finger he freaked out, looked like hewas about to kill him in anger until Morgan calmed him down. Then he hands over his guns saying, "You better keep these. Just in case..."
It's like the character has become self-aware
"...just in case my Kill Switch goes from off to on."

Spellman posted:

I had no major problems with this episode. I guess I just like the characters

I still like this group of assholes in FTWD, so I'm not quite ready to paint every minor inconsistency as real; there might be information we haven't seen yet that might reverse what were thought to be logical inconsistencies in this episode

Agree. I expected Morgan (Lennie James) was going to be a great addition - and he is - but both Jenna Elfman and Garret Dillahunt were surprises, and they've been fantastic.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Acacia REI posted:

Gimple is there to make sure the spinoff doesn't clown on the main show anymore like it did last season lol
I like to think this is true, and that he was oblivious to the jab at Laurie's driving some writer snuck in two weeks ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah, maybe. But then why not shoot Naomi after hitting Dorie :derp:
First time watching I thought he was clearly away from Naomi but re-watching, he's very close.

Something that amused me: after Dorie shot off the Vulture's finger he freaked out, looked like hewas about to kill him in anger until Morgan calmed him down. Then he hands over his guns saying, "You better keep these. Just in case..."
It's like the character has become self-aware
"...just in case my Kill Switch goes from off to on."

Agree. I expected Morgan (Lennie James) was going to be a great addition - and he is - but both Jenna Elfman and Garret Dillahunt were surprises, and they've been fantastic.

I can't move past Elfman being a pod person.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They are going to kill of all the characters from LA, I just can't imagine they live being that close to 20 people who are gonna kill them. If they live, these crazy characters from LA yet again destroy another community living in the world of the walking dead.

Like the only groups who lived in their wake are the pirates and island people in season 2.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 24, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hoo boy, I’m betting Dorie’s shitload of candy filled pockets or his scrabble tiles or something blocked the bullet and means he wasn’t instantly killed.

New week is probably gonna be a tense stand-off where Morgan has to convince them to put aside their enmity for a little while so Naomi can get the supplies necessary to patch up Dorie. BecauseHell if I’m willing to lose the best character of the season yet.

Or Morgan is so enraged they murdered his friend that the roulette wheel of his brain stops on ‘Murder everyone’.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Or Morgan is so enraged they murdered his friend that the roulette wheel of his brain stops on ‘Murder everyone’.

He left that character trait in the dump, where it belongs, along with "Flashbacks of Gavin"

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

warcrimes posted:

Yeah, some of this stuff didn't make sense, like how Alicia, Strand and Luciana are going to take on 40ish armed dudes out in the open. Also, I'm predicting the tin full of Scrabble tiles saves John's life.

That was a perfectly good ambush according to the mother show's rules.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No episode this week?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rocksicles posted:

No episode this week?

No. Off this week. Which is what I bitched about earlier in the thread.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

No. Off this week. Which is what I bitched about earlier in the thread.

I hate bye week.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spellman posted:

He left that character trait in the dump, where it belongs, along with "Flashbacks of Gavin"

Did he ever find out what the gently caress "YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!" was about?

Or did the writers just go "holy gently caress this is stupid" and pretended it never happened?

Binary Logic posted:

As someone who watched the criminally underrated Sarah Connor Chronicles (barring the first couple of eps which sucked and doomed the show), I was really looking forward to Dillahunt and he has not disappointed. His character is great.

ED: For anyone curious/never seen it, TSCC started with a lovely made for TV Terminator sequel that was awful. It rapidly turns more into proto-Westworld than a Terminator prequel, and he was arguably the most interesting character. The original Terminator actor was a meathead who looked constantly constipated but the minute Dillahunt takes over the role the show takes off, which I think is by like the 3rd episode.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 29, 2018

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I only watched the first episode of TSCC and thought it was garbage so I didn't check out the rest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoyed that show a ton.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boinks posted:

I only watched the first episode of TSCC and thought it was garbage so I didn't check out the rest.

There's a thread on TV IV about it to this day, it really vastly improves.

The first episodes really are garbage and it gets much better (and fast - it's only a couple episodes before it really picks up steam, it's not like one of those 'wait a season' shows by any means). But first impressions and all, so the ratings never really recovered. But it was very good and realized early in to take a more interesting look at AI than try to jam Terminator chases into every episode.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

And there were some legit shocks. The dude from 90210 loving killed it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

drat I'll have to watch it someday

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Plus there's a certain... thing that happens somewhere near the end of the shows run that to this day I find shocking. Not what it was, but the way it was done, and I don't think I've ever seen another show do it quite like that ever since. The balls TSCC had were ponderous and hairy. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cactus posted:

The balls TSCC had were ponderous and hairy. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Hell I know it just from that description.

GreenNight posted:

And there were some legit shocks. The dude from 90210 loving killed it.

What's even funnier is on paper his character (which I won't spoil here) sounded terrible. The second I heard the concept I rolled my eyes. By the end of the episode (and consistently throughout the rest of the show) he totally redeems that and becomes a really great character in short order.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 31, 2018

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cactus posted:

Plus there's a certain... thing that happens somewhere near the end of the shows run that to this day I find shocking. Not what it was, but the way it was done, and I don't think I've ever seen another show do it quite like that ever since. The balls TSCC had were ponderous and hairy. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Yeah I still find it shocking as well. It was pretty great.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/T2YlXi1.gifv

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

My favorite part of that was thinking the Captain was actually not really that bad and he just had a dick brother

But I didn't realize how bad the Clarks were yet

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cactus posted:

Yup, the way it was done was really crazy and unexpected. Especially for people that liked how Fear handled things like Nick's death.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

At the time this happened, I remember comic readers complaining about it being lifted from the Holly trade. But after seeing how every other scene from the main show that was "directly" adapted from the comic has failed miserably, I for one am happy they pulled that poo poo off entertainingly enough in Fear. The Sasha death/coffin scene still would have been loving stupid regardless of whether FTWD had scooped that plot up before they had a chance to use it or not, I know it. They still would have found a way to make it dumb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I missed the first 20m can someone paraphrase?

Well atleast it looks like in previews they are going to lose the machine gun car.

Watching the first 20m now and so many dumb things happen. The worst cover fighting ever, a black was literally doing a spin every time before he shot, what is this dancing?

Are they continuing The Walking Dead with the Whispers? Because the vultures are basically using zombies like the whispers to attack people. Literally what happens when the people go to war with the whispers is they just send a big horde at them and most of the whispers die getting the horde to attack I think.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 4, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol I guess the theory that these guys weren't as bad as negan is debunked now

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'd love to see what happened after episode 6 to get us that shootout in 7.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I like how the 50 vultures with AKs couldn't go up against three people on a track

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
To be fair, the vultures don't seem very bright. Their plan has gone from "we will wait until your community collapses from lack of resources (which we have scavenged all around you) and then come in and take your stuff" to now "we will flood your settlement with zombies and then won't be able to take any of your stuff."

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Everyone seems to have caught a severe case of the stupids now, and we're back to the world where all cars are completely bulletproof if you stand behind them and guns can't shoot more than a stones throw away.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah I like how the 50 vultures with AKs couldn't go up against three people on a track

Make a gif of the black guy spinning to take a shot out of cover.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
this has gimple written all over it

https://i.imgur.com/kfQvD9l.gifv

Spellman
May 31, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

lmfao, alright I'll watch Westworld first

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just started actually watching it and why the gently caress doesn't strand use a grenade he has four of them

Even if it's a flashbang just chuck that poo poo

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

moist turtleneck posted:

I just started actually watching it and why the gently caress doesn't strand use a grenade he has four of them

Even if it's a flashbang just chuck that poo poo

I could have seen the scene work if all 3 of them just went loving nuclear, using everything they had to cause as much damage as possible. Like when the Vultures pull back they are running from some insane poo poo. Unfortunately 20v3 and the 20 couldn't just flank around the car.

I agree that it screamed Gimple.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Always shoot the glass. Except when your enemy's head is right behind it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

moist turtleneck posted:

I know it's bad when my father says, "Why the hell are they shooting like that? You like guns, is that a thing you do?"

Jesus, I'm the TWD and FTWD apologist to the nth degree, but that was really bad.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wait why the hell didn't Alicia drive the car away from the zombies and the park and gently caress up the vulture plan

That poo poo was Austin powers steamroller levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Maybe some covering fire would have helped, or any kind of gunshot in the general direction of the idiots casually unloading zombies. Ugh, is there gonna be a jump over to Danial for another Spanish episode soon?

• Locked thread