Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m hard pressed to think of a fast food place that does have an animal as a mascot.

McDonald - Creepy clown
Burger King - Creepy king
Jack in the box - Creepy jack in the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Well, was the noid an animal or man, or something in between?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I wonder if there's a separate aquatic mascot for every different species that they eat. Tuna, salmon, mackerel, etc.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Well, was the noid an animal or man, or something in between?

A man, as Domino’s discovered to their sorrow.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Fuckin lol

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1002992197954875392?s=21

Whole thread is funny

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm still lollin about "Courts have explained it this way."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm still lollin about "Courts have explained it this way."

also lol

https://twitter.com/THCobbPHC/status/1003005832622104576

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 13, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

And people say law isn't funny.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

...wait, is that a citation to Abigail Adams at 49?

Have you not looked at the footnotes and citations yet for their arguments? You, of all people, are in for a treat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 13, 2021

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

As awful as things are, every day I’m grateful that these guys are clowns and not intelligent, calculating, ruthless actors. People are clutching pearls about the death of our republic now, but we are so lucky everything is being exposed by these novices, hucksters and two-bit conmen

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Now I'm pissed that Obama didn't pardon every federal drug offender after trump was elected, or eat out of Lincoln's skull, or some poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Just missing a "Can we get away with this?" parenthetical.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
The only real question left is who leaked it. Trump's legal team leaks like a sieve so they're the obvious suspect. But the brief is so badly written that this may be a rare Mueller leak just to show what a bunch of bozos they're dealing with. On the other OTHER hand, a legal team this incompetent wouldn't notice how badly written it was and leak it as a trial balloon for what appears to be a legal argument for an imperial presidency.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Meh I've written worse

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Meh I've written worse

Me too.

But then I sober up and proofread it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Is the Magna Carta still applicable in Common Law and can you cite it in a court case? Asking for a friend.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GamingHyena posted:

The only real question left is who leaked it. Trump's legal team leaks like a sieve so they're the obvious suspect. But the brief is so badly written that this may be a rare Mueller leak just to show what a bunch of bozos they're dealing with. On the other OTHER hand, a legal team this incompetent wouldn't notice how badly written it was and leak it as a trial balloon for what appears to be a legal argument for an imperial presidency.

there hasn't been a single leak traceable to Mueller while various trump factions leak stuff damaging to other trump factions left and right, so just because it's hilariously damaging doesn't mean it's not from the trump side

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lote posted:

Is the Magna Carta still applicable in Common Law and can you cite it in a court case? Asking for a friend.

unless you're a judge, citing the magna carta is just identifying yourself as a complete nutcase to anyone who is reading your brief who is going to be veering hard into sovereign citizen territory within a page or two

if you are a judge you're probably just identifying the decision as a pompous and bad decision

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you're talking magna carta or articles of confederation in court you're firmly in sovcit land.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Just cite Leviticus or the code of Hammurabi instead

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you're talking magna carta or articles of confederation in court you're firmly in sovcit land.

Nah this is in reaction to the Trump self pardon tweet, I got the same question this morning from a friend

They all willfully ignore the Constitution has a remedy that congress can exercise right after they get around to reclaiming all the powers they gave to the executive

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also, assuming the president can't pardon himself, what in the constitution prevents Congress from passing legislation effectively doing the same thing?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also, assuming the president can't pardon himself, what in the constitution prevents Congress from passing legislation effectively doing the same thing?

This is so beautiful

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Nah this is in reaction to the Trump self pardon tweet, I got the same question this morning from a friend

They all willfully ignore the Constitution has a remedy that congress can exercise right after they get around to reclaiming all the powers they gave to the executive

in that case you would cite to an american court case citing the magna carta for the preposition you want to endorse, and quote the language about that principle going all the way back to the magna carta from that court case. under no circumstances do you cite the magna carta directly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

This is so beautiful

Watch as we slowly get maneuvered into the perfect immobile drilling position.

Alternatively, Trump could have a temporary medical issue, and then Pence could step into office just long enough to pardon him.

DOJ posted:

Presidential or Legislative Pardon of the President

Under the fundamental rule that no one may be a judge in his own case, the President cannot pardon
himself.

If under the Twenty-Fifth Amendment the President declared that he was temporarily unable to perform
the duties of the office, the Vice President would become Acting President and as such could pardon
the President. Thereafter the President could either resign or resume the duties of his office.

Although as a general matter Congress cannot enact amnesty or pardoning legislation, because to do so
would interfere with the pardoning power vested expressly in the President by the Constitution, it
could be argued that a congressional pardon granted to the President would not interfere with the
President’s pardoning power because that power does not extend to the President himself.

August 5, 1974

https://www.justice.gov/file/20856/download (emphasis added)

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What would a legislative pardon look like that wouldn’t run into a separation of powers issue? The President can pardon because it’s specifically in the Constitution. Congress has no such power. Just because the President arguably can’t pardon himself doesn’t automatically vest Congress with the power to do the same.

Of course if we get to that point I suppose it’s fitting that our Republic died due to the Air Bud rule.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

in that case you would cite to an american court case citing the magna carta for the preposition you want to endorse, and quote the language about that principle going all the way back to the magna carta from that court case. under no circumstances do you cite the magna carta directly.

Among other concerns, the Magna Carta is written in Latin so you would at least want to cite a translation.

US. v. Tigano, 880 F.3d 602, 611 (2d Cir. 2018) posted:

The Magna Carta incorporates this requirement in its early thirteenth century language establishing basic guarantees of justice: "We will sell to no man, we will not deny or defer to any man either justice or right." Id. at 223, 87 S.Ct. 988 (emphasis added) (quoting Magna Carta, c. 29 (c. 40 of King John's Charter of 1215) (1225), translated and quoted in Sir Edward Coke, The Second Part of the Institutes of the Laws of England 45 (Brooke, 5th ed., 1797) ("Coke's Institutes")).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

GamingHyena posted:

What would a legislative pardon look like that wouldn’t run into a separation of powers issue? The President can pardon because it’s specifically in the Constitution. Congress has no such power. Just because the President arguably can’t pardon himself doesn’t automatically vest Congress with the power to do the same.

Of course if we get to that point I suppose it’s fitting that our Republic died due to the Air Bud rule.

Congress could pass a law making everything he did legal for a President to do. Then repeal the law after he leaves office, but then he’s safe because it would be ex post facto.

It would take a lot of accomplices, but he already has that in Congress. I mean, the rule of law is more fragile than we think. It requires good faith from a majority of stakeholders.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
the gently caress is this rule of law you talk about

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alexeythegreat posted:

the gently caress is this rule of law you talk about

One of the many myths used to placate the masses

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Congress can't pardon, and can't make criminal conduct un-criminal after the fact.

If they tried, of course, we're all too fat and lazy and glued to our phones and TVs to do anything about it other than violently and impotently bleat into our internet shout jars until we run out of breath and then flip back to CSI: Manitoba/Facebook/Jezebel: Op Ed section and look for the next hit of digital dopamine before falling asleep with a smug smile on our jiggly chins.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

Congress can't pardon, and can't make criminal conduct un-criminal after the fact.

If they tried, of course, we're all too fat and lazy and glued to our phones and TVs to do anything about it other than violently and impotently bleat into our internet shout jars until we run out of breath and then flip back to CSI: Manitoba/Facebook/Jezebel: Op Ed section and look for the next hit of digital dopamine before falling asleep with a smug smile on our jiggly chins.

Don't doxx me ever again

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
NYC to 190k done by Milbank. Wonder if anyone will jump to 200.

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/new-york-to-190k-no-cravath-didnt-make-the-first-move/

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Let's hope so. Interesting that Milkbank made the move, and that they did so now kind of out of nowhere and outside the normal season for it.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

Let's hope so. Interesting that Milkbank made the move, and that they did so now kind of out of nowhere and outside the normal season for it.

Actually, for some reason, this seems to be the season for it, $160 to $180 was in June 2016. Eidt: And I guess prior to OCI makes sense.

My hope is that Milbank wanted to jump in front and make a quick splash before other firms go to $200, possibly to *maybe* save some face if they stay at $190. Is that the most optimistic reading of this, and do I have any actually knowledge of what's going on? Yes it is, and no I do not, but whatever.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 4, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Actually, for some reason, this seems to be the season for it, $160 to $180 was in June 2016.

I did not remember this at all - I thought it was around October/November.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

At last, the long-suffering biglaw attorneys will have a bit of extra lettuce to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I look forward to law schools around the nation raising their tuitions accordingly.