Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0IKXfIBSLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
These old videos with the commercials intact are actually kind of awesome. I used to always try to pause the recording to leave out the commercials back in the day but they're actually kind of a neat time capsule

Buy this fluorescent yellow car, from Hyundai. YES, HYUNDAI!

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhgxbc5GH0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslBy66Azqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1atj1HrSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFO7PxMiwe4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

90s ads really aren't much worse than what we have today. Man I hate ads.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dixville posted:

These old videos with the commercials intact are actually kind of awesome. I used to always try to pause the recording to leave out the commercials back in the day but they're actually kind of a neat time capsule

Buy this fluorescent yellow car, from Hyundai. YES, HYUNDAI!

One day I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole. There are entire channels which are nothing but blocks of commercials from old programs. It really is fascinating, and it really amazes me that in the late 70's and early 80's vinyl as a finish on cars was advertised as a feature.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i made an 80s thread if any old goons wanna go back a bit further

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

90s ads really aren't much worse than what we have today. Man I hate ads.

Car commercials are the worst because how many times in your life are you actually going to buy a car? Let alone a brand new one. They feel like they're aimed at such a relatively small audience. But I guess the size of the purchase makes the advertisement worth it somehow. They're mostly based on encouragement of conspicuous consumption too, they just annoy the crap out of me.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm late to CCG chat, but my friends and I were such absolute loving melvins that we blew way too much time and money on, of all things, the Sim City card game

I still think the cards look neat in a weird, sterile, sorta haunted way, but I don't have any of them anymore.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Oh snap I didn't watch these until after I posted the above

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm late to CCG chat, but my friends and I were such absolute loving melvins that we blew way too much time and money on, of all things, the Sim City card game

I still think the cards look neat in a weird, sterile, sorta haunted way, but I don't have any of them anymore.

I didn't remember what Will Wright looked like and I was hoping the Mayor was him but it's not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dixville posted:

Car commercials are the worst because how many times in your life are you actually going to buy a car? Let alone a brand new one. They feel like they're aimed at such a relatively small audience. But I guess the size of the purchase makes the advertisement worth it somehow. They're mostly based on encouragement of conspicuous consumption too, they just annoy the crap out of me.

Someone is buying all these new cars. WHo? :iiam:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Randaconda posted:

Jihad/Vampire: The Eternal Struggle was good. Illuminati was good too, and Steve Jackson Games was like the only company that saw the crash coming and pulled out early and din't get burned.

But clearly, the makers of Jihad didn't see the crash coming

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone is buying all these new cars. WHo? :iiam:

Rich people :argh:

Also some of them get sold into leasing companies and stuff

Ok maybe I'm just a bitter poor eat the rich

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Randaconda posted:

Some audio nerds still use PS1s as their cd player of choice, for some reason.

If you get a model 1001 it has a really good DAC chip in it. Past that you get into people modifying it, which like, of course something you specifically modify will sound good, or people denying it's anything special at all.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sir Lemming posted:

But clearly, the makers of Jihad didn't see the crash coming

They changed the name long before then. Which is why my friends and I got into it. Local store was selling the old first edition cards with the different name/card backs for cheap.

We'd also heard it was based on the same thing as Kindred: The Embraced and were the right kind of nerd to think that was awesome.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

So, did you regret this?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

I know. I’m sorry. It was almost as shocking to me as the fact that I personally know someone who read it in the first place.

Speaking of, kinda, I need to find a “help me identify this book children’s book I read in the ‘90s and only half-remember” thread. Because I recall this book that was sort of sci-fi, in the “school kid gets sucked into alien stuff” genre, that I really liked when I was about ten but the only detail I recall is that sometimes the character(s) would put weirdly colored stamps on their forehead(s) which did something?

It wasn’t the Aliens Ate My Homework series.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So, did you regret this?

if only I had cut funding sooner

that said, I suppose my foolish teenage card game purchases helped give the city council chairman a nice Christmas

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

The more I stare at this, the worse it gets:

https://twitter.com/max6464646464/status/1003736763179913216?s=21

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Who’s the meatbag stuck between Dorothy Gale and the New Kids on the Block?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

deeek

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would legit buy a Blu-ray of cartoon all stars to the rescue

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

We thought called it DICK was the funniest thing we could do when were younger. Though I associate most of those shows with the 80s, the 90s DIC did Sailor Moon and a bunch of other anime.

Oh man the 90s anime explosion. No more hoping you could get a 12 generation copy of a badly fansubbed episode of Lum you already seen, but now you could rent anime at blockbuster or pay 40bux in 1996 money for a video tape with 2 episodes on it.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Jun 6, 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Updated for our modern times:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
One of my kids is really into the ‘90s Mario show. No idea why, but my god is it bad. I can’t figure out why I was so pissed about missing it to go to church, apart from the fact that it was obviously less soul-crushing.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

So which was worse, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, or Captain N, the Game Master?

trick question, it was Video Power, with that cartoon that had Max Force from NARC, Kuros from Wizards & Warriors, Tyrone from Arch Rivals, Kwirk the Tomato, and Bigfoot(?)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

So which was worse, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, or Captain N, the Game Master?

trick question, it was Video Power, with that cartoon that had Max Force from NARC, Kuros from Wizards & Warriors, Tyrone from Arch Rivals, Kwirk the Tomato, and Bigfoot(?)

Kwirk owned

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It should be noted that's Bigfoot the Monster Truck, not the sasquatch

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Video Power later pivoted to be a video game game show, hosted by Johnny Arcade. The winner got to run around in a maze full of video games and keep everything they grabbed.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wait wasn't there an episode of the Zelda cartoon where link died

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, what was the figure on Final Fantasy VII - it was two discs on the PS1 but would've needed something like 10 N64 cartridges?

Super Mario 64 at launch was 5.7 MB, or 35 Mbit, so it could fit on a 64 Mbit cart. They went as big as 512 Mbit, or 64 proper MB, for later games.

FF7 was on 3 CDs, or about 2100 MB/16,000 Mbit. 10 N64 carts would have been a serious underestimate, you’d have gotten all of disc 1 on ten carts.

Yeah, optimization would have brought that down a ton, and most of that space was FMV, but PS1 games only had to disc swap one time to have their total available storage size be a whole gigabyte per game. The N64 was struggling to make 1/10 the capacity of a single CD cost effective up until the day it died.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

mlnhd posted:

Video Power later pivoted to be a video game game show, hosted by Johnny Arcade. The winner got to run around in a maze full of video games and keep everything they grabbed.

Hell yeah, that version rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_JYQLKtmK8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was a show that aired in canada in the mid 90s on YTV (Youth Television, kind of a combination of Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and MTV, but not that good) called Video and Arcade Top 10. It actually showed kids playing games and some tips and reviews about games too. Before there was Giant Bomb or The Know there is where you had to go to see games in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbxXmMgwtaU
Look at all those 3rd party controllers in the opening

They also had The Anti-Gravity Room which talked about video games but also talked about genre TV, movies and comics.

YTV was not actually that bad, it was the place I'd see Daria. Its funny, Daria really spoke to me for my 90s teen experience, but I am always perplexed to find out it was mostly broadcast in the 2000s.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to watch Gamepro TV and Electric Playground. I think EP was a Canadian production too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZ7W94XeeE

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to watch Gamepro TV and Electric Playground. I think EP was a Canadian production too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZ7W94XeeE

Curse that Magneto and his gang of chumpsters!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

There was a show that aired in canada in the mid 90s on YTV (Youth Television, kind of a combination of Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and MTV, but not that good) called Video and Arcade Top 10. It actually showed kids playing games and some tips and reviews about games too. Before there was Giant Bomb or The Know there is where you had to go to see games in motion.

Look at all those 3rd party controllers in the opening

That n64 bus in the opening there? I had that at my 14th birthday party. I don't know how my parents managed it, because they wouldn't let me enter tv contests.
Man that was the best party. Cake and pop and snacks and video games and sugar.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

twistedmentat posted:

We thought called it DICK was the funniest thing we could do when were younger.

Oh that logo thing was a great way to pick on little brothers. "David Beale has no..." "DIC." "HA HA DAVID EVEN THE TV KNOWS IT"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2TKNclTfIU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Oh man the 90s anime explosion. No more hoping you could get a 12 generation copy of a badly fansubbed episode of Lum you already seen, but now you could rent anime at blockbuster or pay 40bux in 1996 money for a video tape with 2 episodes on it.

The best was stuff like the English dub of Angel Cop where they got a bunch of British voice actors doing questionable American accents and being told to "15 it up" by putting in a whole bunch of gratuitous swearing.

Stuff like that is probably simultaneously responsible for the view that all anime was nothing but tits and gore and the attitude amongst fans that it was all supposed to be for adults and 4Kids (:qq:) had cut all the swearing and violence out of, like, Pokémon.

(Though I think stuff like fan translations of Dragon Ball Z where characters calling each other - to cite one example - "candy-rear end faggots" is more of a 00s thing than a 90s thing. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best was stuff like the English dub of Angel Cop where they got a bunch of British voice actors doing questionable American accents and being told to "15 it up" by putting in a whole bunch of gratuitous swearing.

Finally, the source of the popular exclamation of surprise/frustration, "gently caress and piss"