Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
so what were the "disparaging" remarks about the jesus loving cake shop owner that kiboshed the ruling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Al! posted:

yeah, all the ruling did was give businesses a legal roadmap on how to discriminate in states where their courts are already hostile to gay rights and get away with it. i dont know why everyones freaking out

No, not really, because the court pretty strictly says "This decision doesn't say anything about the actual fundamental question at play here, sorry"

https://twitter.com/RAVerBruggen/status/1003649930995601409

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

for all the justified anger at Decorum being something people hold sacred when it's clearly not supposed to be, it's weird how many folks in this thread seem to think that the chuds will just stop being homophobic if they don't have something that might look like an excuse if you run it through nineteen Photoshop filters, tilt your head, squint, and hammer the CSI enhance button like it's your dick

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

yeah, this is a giant punt and people freaking out about it and calling it the dominance of law by religion may be hyperventilating just a bit.

the Supreme Court overturned the rulings of lower courts which said that discrimination was bad, and replaced it with "well, we don't know if discrimination is bad or not, we'll decide it later maybe"

moreover, the reasoning they used to do so was by taking a bunch of quotes that were variations on "using religion as an excuse to discriminate is bad" and saying that while that's what they seem to say, they could also possibly be read as "religion is bad" and therefore they unfairly violated his first amendment rights

look at this poo poo

quote:

Standing alone, these statements are susceptible of different inter-
pretations. On the one hand, they might mean simply
that a business cannot refuse to provide services based on
sexual orientation, regardless of the proprietor’s personal
views. On the other hand, they might be seen as inappropriate and dismissive comments showing lack of due consideration for Phillips’ free exercise rights and the
dilemma he faced.

"on the one hand, they might mean a condemnation of the illegal behavior that the commission exists for the express purpose of combating. on the other hand, if you eliminate all context and stretch a little, they might be seen as dismissive of his rationale for illegal discrimination" - very smart Supreme Court justice person

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eat cake to trigger the libs

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

How easily do you burn in the sun op?

Somebody's got an axe to grind

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i'm kinda blown away that we got something that wasn't a 5-4 decision with the court holding gently caress gay people and we're still gnashing our teeth and tearing our hair out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i would have liked for them to cover whether cake baking is artistic expression

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
gays, have you tried, not being gay, or baking your own cakes? just throwing ideas out there.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schnorkles posted:

gnashing our teeth and tearing our hair out.

:geno:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

i'm kinda blown away that we got something that wasn't a 5-4 decision with the court holding gently caress gay people and we're still gnashing our teeth and tearing our hair out.

thread was pretty pent up over the weekend

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

I woke up hella mad op

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

this is absolutely art

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Straight guy here, with some objective analysis of this recent event that has the gays so hysterical

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Gay cakes are now mandatory

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

why are you bringing up a random article from 2016

or is this one of those "leftists saying clinton was bad cost her the election" things

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Trump Cakes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

so what were the "disparaging" remarks about the jesus loving cake shop owner that kiboshed the ruling?

“[I]f a businessman wants to do business in the state and he’s got an issue with the—
the law’s impacting his personal belief system, he needs to look at being able to compromise.”

“I would also like to reiterate what we said in the hearing or the last meeting. Freedom of religion and religion has been used to justify all kinds of discrimination throughout history, whether it be slavery, whether it be the holocaust, whether it be—I mean, we—we can list hundreds of situations where freedom of religion has been used to justify discrimination. And to me it is one of the most despicable pieces of rhetoric that people can use to—to use their religion
to hurt others.”

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:prepop:

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Agriculture
Printing press
Steam engine
Electricity
Atomic bomb
Computer
TRUMP

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Schnorkles posted:

I’ve noticed that you’re always claiming people are gnashing their teeth and tearing their hair when it’s not actually what’s happening.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i don't think a court should actually rule on what does/doesn't count as artistic expression, but it would have made for some fun reading

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Schnorkles posted:

No, not really, because the court pretty strictly says "This decision doesn't say anything about the actual fundamental question at play here, sorry"

yeah by the simplistic definition of "does this set a precedent" no but what it does do is provide a valid justification for a defense of bigotry that the supreme court just reaffirmed as a successful defense: you have to argue that the state didnt consider your sincere religious beliefs without prejudice. and while thats not going to work on the west coast it sure as poo poo would work in mississippi

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

maybe I'm completely jaded with how society exists in a Trump world, but it just seems to me that the fact that the scope was so narrow will mean nothing to a future court full of Alitos because that poo poo doesn't matter to fascists

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

“[I]f a businessman wants to do business in the state and he’s got an issue with the—
the law’s impacting his personal belief system, he needs to look at being able to compromise.”

“I would also like to reiterate what we said in the hearing or the last meeting. Freedom of religion and religion has been used to justify all kinds of discrimination throughout history, whether it be slavery, whether it be the holocaust, whether it be—I mean, we—we can list hundreds of situations where freedom of religion has been used to justify discrimination. And to me it is one of the most despicable pieces of rhetoric that people can use to—to use their religion
to hurt others.”

Wow those dudes should really take off their fedoras and be more normal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

to hurt others.”

jfc

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
clarence thomas: still the mvp of scotus
https://twitter.com/limminlaw/status/1003650170247106560

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

hey schnorkles what's the name of that organization that shows up at the beginning of every presidential election cycle and looks at which senators have a good shot at being the dem nominee and then gins up a "study" "proving" that they have the Most Liberal Voting Record In The Senate and all the Fox News ppl treat it like serious scholarship

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Straight guy here, with some objective analysis of this recent event that has the gays so hysterical

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

to hurt others.”

wowzers

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All i'm saying is maybe the fedora atheists should be nicer to christianity and maybe this wouldn't happen

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Joementum posted:

kinda glad they didn't given the transcript of the oral arguments on this issue

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

trump

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Clarence Thomas clearly avoiding the object in world versus object in mind question

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im a judge and I say this cake is gay as gently caress and im gonna (write) cum all over it

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

why would you go to Daytona

In laws vacation club. Free resort stay for 2 weeks

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

lol things slipping away faster than expected

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

i don't think a court should actually rule on what does/doesn't count as artistic expression, but it would have made for some fun reading

SCOTUS decision on whether games are art please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

In laws vacation club. Free resort stay for 2 weeks

oh well

enjoy the diesel exhaust for free i guess

• Locked thread