Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLWckfIEUUk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got an email from a beta testing set up that I do testing through. They offered a “cellphone research opportunity”. I signed up for it and it was through Facebook. You had to download a Facebook VPN and background logger (PowerLog).

It paid $20 a month and I use my phone for Facebook, Twitter and this app so they are not going to find out anything cool from my phone.

I downloaded the set up yesterday and in 24, I have noticed that this logger is zapping my battery. For it being on in the background, it has used this much of my battery in the last 24 hours:

Yeah, I am getting rid of this now.

I have a large sum of money I need to get out of my country. Give me your bank details so you can help me.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

You are not a Nigerian Prince who works at Nintendo with my uncle!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm yes, what I want to do it run literally all of my data through "Facebook". Nothing bad can come from this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can fix it but I will need your SSN, DoB, and mother's maiden namee

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got that same beta test invite and as soon as I read who the company was (which was hid in the T&Cs) I noped out of there so fast

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

You are not a Nigerian Prince who works at Nintendo with my uncle!

Don’t try to roll with this you spent money on a shady a f VPN, dumbass.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Maybe you should change your passwords.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I did not pay for anything. I went through my usual beta testing website (which is well known and reputable) that I have used several times for several different projects.

Facebook has been getting users’ call and text info for years on Android. They have probably been doing stuff like that through Apple as well. Hell, Apple alone has all of our info somewhere.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
OK? You were willing to sacrifice all personal data going through your phone in order to receive $20/month. Whether or not that's worth it to you is your call, I guess, but what did you expect by posting about it here?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I posted about it more as an account on how it was draining the battery. I was surprised at how much it could be using and I thought it might interest some here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It shouldn't really be at all surprising that software designed to intercept all your data traffic and send it to a third party (one known to be a lovely steward of data, but that's neither here nor there) will have to run all the time in order to do its job, and will suck your battery down accordingly.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I should uninstall the Awful app, it drains alot :tinfoil:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I totally forgot that today is the WWDC keynote. Is it just me or is this the least buzz there's ever been around it? I'm sure I remember the thread talking about it for at least a week before the event usually - even on years when almost everything has already leaked.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

I totally forgot that today is the WWDC keynote. Is it just me or is this the least buzz there's ever been around it? I'm sure I remember the thread talking about it for at least a week before the event usually - even on years when almost everything has already leaked.

Oh wow I had no idea it was today. I know I saw the OSX dark theme leak but didn’t mentally tie it back to wwdc.

Maybe we’ll get our family of iPhone Xs then.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 4, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm super excited because I saw reports online that AirPods and Macbook Pros are in low supply so they are probably announcing something new for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, there's either nothing worth leaking or they're being really, really tight on what they're revealing. Going with the former, especially given that what we've gotten for iOS leaks are that iOS 12 will mostly be a maintenance release.

The Dave posted:

Maybe we’ll get our family of iPhone Xs then.
The software conference rarely has major hardware reveals.

Over There posted:

I'm super excited because I saw reports online that AirPods and Macbook Pros are in low supply so they are probably announcing something new for them.
AirPod: Now with wireless case!
MacBook Pro: Now with keyboard that doesn't fail if you don't live in a clean room!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m ready for iOS11 to end.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Over There posted:

I got AirPods just a few months ago so I'll be kinda gutted if there's any big new features along the lines of decent volume control for them, unless there's some kind of product upgrade service they'll do. I can't imagine inner-ear headphones have quite the same resale value as other Apple products.

Still, they've been out long enough now where I can't really complain about new stuff coming.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 4, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I got AirPods just a few months ago so I'll be kinda gutted if there's any big new features along the lines of decent volume control for them, unless there's some kind of product upgrade service they'll do. I can't imagine inner-ear headphones have quite the same resale value as other Apple products.

If I had to guess I would say it would most likely be the wireless charging case to go with the charging pad they will be releasing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Over There posted:

If I had to guess I would say it would most likely be the wireless charging case to go with the charging pad they will be releasing.
Ah, nuts to that then. These last long enough where having to plug the case in every 2 or 3 days is hardly a problem for me.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ah, nuts to that then. These last long enough where having to plug the case in every 2 or 3 days is hardly a problem for me.

Yeah same, but even if the MBP is a small improvement I'll take it since I was going to buy one anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It would be cool if they make AirPods that are actually comfortable.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

Really? Mine are super comfy, but I guess everyone's ears are different.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Change the shape of Apple headphones over my dead body(‘s ears). These things are perfect.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple ear phones fall out any time I move my head. QED.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am ready to waste money on the AirPod wireless case and AirPower.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m ready for iOS11 to end.

iOS 12 is just gonna be iOS 11 with a fresh coat of paint, they aren't rewriting that poo poo from scratch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Over There posted:

Really? Mine are super comfy, but I guess everyone's ears are different.
I got them and returned them two days later since I couldn't wear them for more than 20 minutes. I honestly do not understand what kind of ears people have to have such that shoving hard plastic into them is in any way comfortable. It's a bummer because I liked everything about them except that they weren't remotely comfortable for me. Give me AirPods with silicone tips and I will be first in line to preorder them.

Change the shape of Apple headphones over my dead body(‘s ears). These things are perfect.
I am sure that were they to offer a design that is comfortable to me that yours would remain comfortable to you.

I got Zolo Liberty+ and they are worse in literally every way except that I can comfortably wear them all day.

Anyway, here's MacRumors' WWDC roundup: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/01/what-to-expect-at-wwdc-2018/

tldr version: For sure: Updates to macOS, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS (and a Pride watchface for watches), summer Watch bands
Maybe: AirPower launch
Unlikely: New Macs and iPads Pro, iPhone SE 2, Beats-branded Siri speaker

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That iPhone SE 2 mockup they have is sexy as hell. New iPad Pros with faceID would be pretty cool too though I’m not sure my 12.9 is anywhere near close to upgrade. This thing is a beast and still working perfectly.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
They make accessory kits for the airpods that come with silicone tips and fins and lots of different fit options.

Also, I will pay an extra $20 for space gray airpods I hope that's part of the announcement.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Give me AirPods with silicone tips and I will be first in line to preorder them.

I am sure that were they to offer a design that is comfortable to me that yours would remain comfortable to you.

I got Zolo Liberty+ and they are worse in literally every way except that I can comfortably wear them all day.
Funnily enough, the main reason I buy AirPods over any other wireless headphones are that they're the only ones I could find that aren't silicones tips that go inside the ear canal like those Liberty+ ones. I want a bit of ambient noise for when I'm walking on the street, plus the inner-ear ones really hurt me and make me feel weird.

There's no one-size-fits-all option sadly unless they had detachable ends that could be swapped out for different users, or just offer two models.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AA is for Quitters posted:

They make accessory kits for the airpods that come with silicone tips and fins and lots of different fit options.

Also, I will pay an extra $20 for space gray airpods I hope that's part of the announcement.

I watched an airpod teardown video because I wanted to see if it would be feasible to take them apart and use idye poly to dye the plastic bits black. And unfortunately, it's not even a little feasible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I did not pay for anything. I went through my usual beta testing website (which is well known and reputable) that I have used several times for several different projects.

Facebook has been getting users’ call and text info for years on Android. They have probably been doing stuff like that through Apple as well. Hell, Apple alone has all of our info somewhere.

So you think that Apple is selling out our ~metadata~ and information to Facebook et al. and that Apple can just decide to look into my messages at will because they “have all of our info somewhere”?

Yeah they aren’t and they can’t. The second thing is virtually impossible for them to do so.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I watched an airpod teardown video because I wanted to see if it would be feasible to take them apart and use idye poly to dye the plastic bits black. And unfortunately, it's not even a little feasible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WWzf3wUik

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah they would have had to mask them and paint and I suck at painting. I wanted to be able to separate the plastic bits and dunk them in hot dye. Then you don't have to worry about chipping or brush strokes or anything like that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I had those and then I got some Jabra ones that are better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

Something that has to be taken off to charge them is not an acceptable compromise and entirely defeats the purpose of being convenient.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Where am I supposed to watch the WWDC livestream

I guess swift 5 is coming maybe ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern, whichever in between.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2018/

There's also usually live mirrors on YouTube for people who can't get Apple's player to work on their machine (requires Edge on Windows lol)