Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

I would encourage you to revisit it, then. It's wildly better in its recut state. If they had originally aired as they currently exist, I really believe we would have had at least a few more seasons.

They're now hour-long episodes (with occasional connective-tissue footage shot a few years after the show ended) without the fluffy wraparound Old Indy stories, and they're really much more focused on telling a single complete adventure. Occasionally the seams show a bit when you realize that the first half of an episode doesn't relate all that much to the second half, but that's few and far in between, and it doesn't detract from the quality.

But it's remarkable how in their recut form they feel decades ahead of their time—sometimes even ahead of where we are now. It might just be the most ambitious TV show of all time, and it's a shame that it's not better remembered because of the format and editing choices of the time.

Also, if you can get your hands on the DVDs they're highly recommended. All the historical figures in the episodes get their own really well-made documentaries that you can watch after the episode and gain additional historical context for the events in the show. They feel like mid-90s History Channel documentaries, but on far more varied subjects.

Seconding this. It took me forever to track the sets down at a decent price 5ish years ago, but they’re easier to find now. They’re fantastic and the recut episodes are miles above the original broadcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

The series was like Lucas's dry run for the Star Wars prequels in a way - was there ever any point where he wanted to do the prequels as a TV series instead of movies?

I don't know, but he did dictate a lot of the stuff in The Clone Wars cartoon and its showrunner Dave Filoni is basically his protege.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing I remember Young Indiana Jones was the "they stole my chickens" bit (AKA Early Mexican History in a Nutshell). Funny yet poignant.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Len posted:

What's going on with Solo reminds me of this article. Because it's being hated, called pointless, just a wikipedia article in movie form, etc by people who haven't seen anything other than the trailers but who read blogs and twitter.

The Wikipedia article in movie form was the review from NYT. The critical reviews are flat and unenthusiastic as far as I can tell, I don't have Twitter or look at Reddit or whatever.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 3, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

The Wikipedia article in movie form was the review from NYT. The critical reviews are flat and unenthusiastic as far as I can tell, I don't have Twitter or look at Reddit or whatever.

A lot of it seems to be "not the absolute disaster I was expecting".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

What's going on with Solo reminds me of this article. Because it's being hated, called pointless, just a wikipedia article in movie form, etc by people who haven't seen anything other than the trailers but who read blogs and twitter.

Those books sound terrible. They deserve to be pilloried by Tumblr psychoes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

The series was like Lucas's dry run for the Star Wars prequels in a way - was there ever any point where he wanted to do the prequels as a TV series instead of movies?

Lucas absolutely talked about this, and even when the prequels were being made he said ideally "The Clone Wars" would be like 100 movies. Scope wise he delivered exactly that with the Clone Wars series. But even before then you'd briefly hear the idea floated for a series set during the clone wars or a Solo-esque show focused on smugglers/bounty hunters/assorted Star Wars lowlifes and so on.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think an anthology series set like the Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales of Jabba's Palace, etc., could be really good stuff. Let different people explore the Star Wars universe, through different characters, situations, all the different walks of life; this episode is about a Gand hunting an Aqualish serial killer, this one is about the political intrigue of Corellian ambassadors trying to prevent civil war, this one is a procedural on Coruscant.

There are unlimited stories and planets you could use for Star Wars stories; why limit yourself to war and rebellions, when there are ten thousand other things you can do?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The MSJ posted:

I don't know, but he did dictate a lot of the stuff in The Clone Wars cartoon and its showrunner Dave Filoni is basically his protege.

My favorite thing was years ago they put out a book about The Making of The Clone Wars TV show (or it might of been The Artwork of ..., can't remember). They have quotes throughout the entire thing from writers, animators, actors, and everything. And only one quote from George, which was "Dave would put Plo Koon in every episode if I didn't stop him."

I love George's dry sense of humor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

As someone who's tried to write a few reviews, there are movies where they don't even get you angry enough to write a proper bad review, they just exist and sort of disappoint you. I gained insight into my parents while watching Mary Magdalene.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Davros1 posted:

My favorite thing was years ago they put out a book about The Making of The Clone Wars TV show (or it might of been The Artwork of ..., can't remember). They have quotes throughout the entire thing from writers, animators, actors, and everything. And only one quote from George, which was "Dave would put Plo Koon in every episode if I didn't stop him."

Dave would make an excellent guide for the Star Wars franchise creatively. He's done a lot of new stuff in the shows that still feels like part of the Star Wars universe. He really, really gets the franchise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leavemywife posted:

I think an anthology series set like the Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales of Jabba's Palace, etc., could be really good stuff. Let different people explore the Star Wars universe, through different characters, situations, all the different walks of life; this episode is about a Gand hunting an Aqualish serial killer, this one is about the political intrigue of Corellian ambassadors trying to prevent civil war, this one is a procedural on Coruscant.

There are unlimited stories and planets you could use for Star Wars stories; why limit yourself to war and rebellions, when there are ten thousand other things you can do?
I agree, I wish they would make some stories involving characters that are either minor or original ones. Rogue One had all new characters created for the film (minus the cameos of Tarkin/Leia/Vader), and that worked for the most part (although I would say the weakest character in the film is easily Jyn Erso).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think Filoni also designed the compass Luke was searching for in Battlefront 2 and then appeared in TLJ.

Davros1 posted:

He's a vagina-mouthed Predator with Leia hair buns instead of dreads. How can you not like that?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 4, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I think Filoni also designed the compass Luke was searching for in Battlefront 2 and then appeared in TLJ.

He's a vagina-mouthed Predator with Leia hair buns instead of dreads. How can you not like that?

It alwys annoyed me that he got kind of a lame death in Revenge of the Sith.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

That's exactly what Clone Wars is. It's an anthology of tales that take place during the titular wars that follow different stories, different characters, different tones and scopes, different aspects of the conflict from all levels. Each 1-3 episodes is exactly what you're describing, it just has the connnective tissue of the Clone Wars rather than Star Wars as a whole.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

feedmyleg posted:

That's exactly what Clone Wars is. It's an anthology of tales that take place during the titular wars that follow different stories, different characters, different tones and scopes, different aspects of the conflict from all levels. Each 1-3 episodes is exactly what you're describing, it just has the connnective tissue of the Clone Wars rather than Star Wars as a whole.

I thought that one was about Anakin and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars. I watched some of it, and I remember different Jedi being featured prominently, but that was a few years ago, so I might be misremembering.

That show is streaming on Netflix, right? I might check it out again, because that sounds good to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There are plenty of episodes featuring Anakin and/or Obi-Wan, but more often than not as the series goes on it becomes pure anthology. The latter seasons are definitely more experimental and interesting. Worth watching, but you might want to track down a "which episodes to skip" guide because there's some fluff in there. But basically, read episode descriptions and watch the ones that sound interesting if you're interested in giving it another shot. Maybe jump into season 3 to give it a try. It's all 1-3 episode mini arcs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't there one episode that's literally just a kaiju short film?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Some of the best episodes of the series don’t even feature any movie Jedi, just clones dealing with a corrupt Jedi in an Apocalypse Now situation.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

There are plenty of episodes featuring Anakin and/or Obi-Wan, but more often than not as the series goes on it becomes pure anthology. The latter seasons are definitely more experimental and interesting. Worth watching, but you might want to track down a "which episodes to skip" guide because there's some fluff in there. But basically, read episode descriptions and watch the ones that sound interesting if you're interested in giving it another shot. Maybe jump into season 3 to give it a try. It's all 1-3 episode mini arcs.

Even the ones that feature the main pair differ pretty wildly. It's a really good show.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Some of the best episodes of the series don’t even feature any movie Jedi, just clones dealing with a corrupt Jedi in an Apocalypse Now situation.

That was a brilliant little arc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Those books sound terrible. They deserve to be pilloried by Tumblr psychoes.

Oh no doubt. But it just was the first thing I snapped to when thinking about how people have reacted to Solo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I thought that one was about Anakin and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars. I watched some of it, and I remember different Jedi being featured prominently, but that was a few years ago, so I might be misremembering.

The Clone Wars have episodes featuring Padme, Yoda, R2, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Clone captains, and even Jar Jar but several prominent characters were created for it: many kids probably know Anakin's apprentice Ahsoka better than most OT characters. Some of the ways they use existing characters can also be surprising, like the alien singer from Jabba's place being a murderous femme fatale.

It's a bit more violent than many cartoons too. Lots of people getting shot, stabbed and decapitated, sometimes by the heroes and often in full view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cRUrQBzoE8

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The corrupt Jedi also being the same species as the bartender from Episode 2 and wields two double-bladed lightsaber.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 4, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

It's so good, it's insanely violent and hard as gently caress about how lovely war/the military industrial complex is by kids show standards too. Like I think even by season 2 Asohka and Barris (sp?) are just like yeah I'm not so happpy about the Jedi being "peacekeepers" when "peacekeeper" means "kill whoever the Republic tells us to." It goes in on how bullshit the republic is, how hosed up it is that a slave clone army exists, how hosed up the way droids are treated is, lots of episodes where they go back to a planet they had an adventurenon and it's a permanently hosed wartorn shithole now because they had an adventure there. There's an episode where a droid has its memeory selectively wiped so it doesn't realize it's a suicide bomber and when the truth is regealed it spends its last few seconds mutually freaking out with everyone about how a bomb is in the room and realizes it is the bomb like half a second before it explodes and it's played as dark humor. Clone revolts, clones desert and stuff because gently caress being created just to kill, we're farmers now. An endless supply.of Krennic-esque middle manager general droids. The scope of the show is kind of nuts.

Anakin is such a great character in it compared to the PT movies too. They give him this, like, kind of Kirk-esque brutal improvisational strategic side you never see in the movies, and he's near psychotically loyal to his friends' welfare. He's a real deal war "hero" everyone loves in the heat of the moment. You'd totally get why he's so charismatic and respected by everyone around him but feared at the same time even if you didn't know that he becomes Darth Vader.

Also you see Obi-Wan being a total in denial hypocrite a lot lol. Like there's a few points where Obi-Wan wants to do x/y/z talking someone down thing but Anakin just sneaks around and impales the person through the back because "I don't have time for this" and Obi-Wan just gives this like "lol CLASSIC Anakin poo poo amirite folks?!?" facial expression.

The violence in the show is great in a way. I say great not in that it's on screen, but it's often shot ir lit in a much more mature way than you'd expect for a kids show.

It has so many moments like that where it manages to be a light and goofy adventure show while showing the hosed up conditions and treatment that lead to Darth Vader and the Galactic Empire happening.

Anyway great show, it's the best Star Wars that isn't A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uljtvXrkdbc

I watched Future World yesterday courtesy of a free ticket. It's very bad! It does veer into entertainingly bad several times but this film has many, many shots that linger too long and dull that didn't work. I won't recommend paying to watch it but I had fun, so it was good!

The story is trite and has that "a 14 year old wrote this", I wrote a summary for a friend full of spoilers but he wanted to see it after reading it, so here it goes:

ok so FUTURE WORLD

IT IS THE POST-APOCALYPTIC FUTURE. everything is a DESERT. it's not clear how bad things are but apparently bullets are so scarce people don't bother with guns.

James Franco is THE WARLORD. He and his dirtbiker gang dirtbikes across a desert to attack an abandoned silo full of innocent people. The silo contains a SUPER HOT NAKED ROBOT. He activates her and names her ASH. He has a voice command remote that controls everything she does. THE WARLORD wants to gently caress ASH.

in the meantime there is an OASIS full of people and trees and even a lake. Lucy liu is THE QUEEN and she has a son PRINCE. PRINCE is the worst child actor in Hollywood now and sadly, the main protagonist. THE QUEEN is ill and PRINCE is like, mom according to this faded postcard there is a PARADISE BEACH with a TEMPLE OF LIFE where your cure awaits. THE QUEEN is all look this is a bad idea and everyone PRINCE talks to agree, it is a totally bad idea. but THE QUEEN also tells PRINCE he has the "eyes of a leader" (he does not) so he's like I AM LEADING!!!! and goes out dirtbiking with his two idiot friends to find PARADISE BEACH.

WARLORD brings his gang and ASH to LOVETOWN, owned by THE LOVELORD played by Snoop Dogg. The cinema censored a lot of stuff but i think it's basically a very large whorehouse. THE LOVELORD wants to gently caress ASH but does not act on it. PRINCE and his friends also turn up in LOVETOWN. One of PRINCE's friend has a gun and shoots dead a LOVELORD gang member. WARLORD sees this as an opportunity to amass weapons, so he sends ASH to seduce PRINCE, who is such a lovely character he accepts the seduction. I actually don't understand how it happens since they have zero chemistry whatsoever. so yes, PRINCE wants to gently caress ASH.

In return ASH, controlled by WARLORD, steals PRINCE's gun and shoots dead his worthless friends. Then they torture PRINCE until he finally reveals that he got the gun from the OASIS

They drive to the OASIS with PRINCE, not caring to get him to draw a map first because ??? And then ASH has a change of heart. It's not explained but a narration by ASH tells us she thinks this is the right thing to do. She defies WARLORD's commands and hijacks the truck PRINCE is in, badly injuring herself. The escape sequence is almost 15 minutes and very boring consisting of ASH and PRINCE running in holes and dirtbikers dirtbiking. they succeed in escaping

A deeply wounded ASH and PRINCE walk to a church and stay the night. ASH asks if she, a robot, has a soul and PRINCE says yes. It's still not clear how she defies programming and WARLORD's commands. Then ASH is like how do I talk to God and PRINCE actually teaches her how to pray, and presumably her programming thinks this is dumb so she shuts down. PRINCE builds a makeshift stretcher and walks in the desert dragging her along. It's also not clear why these people don't need food or water in the desert.

They reach PARADISE BEACH and get attacked by marauders. PARADISE BEACH has a big abandoned (community centre?) that's operated by THE DRUGLORD played by Milla Jollovich. PRINCE asks if this is the TEMPLE OF LIFE and she tells him nope, it's DRUGTOWN now. So yeah, the place is full of junkies. He says he needs to heal THE QUEEN and DRUGLORD says ok, but you need to be like us and PRINCE is like uhhhh what so she shoots him up with lots of drugs so he goes to sleep goodbye.

We get about a million year's worth of footage of his getting high and none of that is interesting.

ASH KETCHUM is operated on by MECHANIC GIRL who technomagically boots her up after like, soldering some wires. Then DRUGLORD takes ASH and is like "oooh i love you" and it's written so badly, I thought she just was happy to have a "daughter" she could love but

no

THE DRUGLORD wants to gently caress ASH.

DRUGLORD then throws PRINCE in a dried out swimming pool with a BIG DUDE and says "haha, you now need to fight this guy in a hosed-up state! then you can find the cure for your mom in his stomach" which sounds super dumb, but is in fact true. She holds a machete and shouts "I have a wildcard!" BIG DUDE punches PRINCE a few times then DRUGLORD says "This is the wildcard!" and throw the machete into the pool. In his hosed up state PRINCE somehow takes the machete and fucks up BIG DUDE and then seriously, he cuts into his stomach and does find the drugs to save his mom. at this point people in the audience start laughing

PRINCE is like ok i wanna go but! I want ASH to come with me. ASH is like no fuckboi, gently caress off. so PRINCE well, he goes away from DRUGTOWN but not from this movie, that upset me.

anyway MECHANIC GIRL wants to gently caress ASH too.

ASH has big chains wrapping her feet tied to the wall in her prison. MECHANIC GIRL steals into ASH's prison and tries to saw her loving thick chain with a thin handsaw which lmao. Then ASH is like no MECHANIC GIRL, you shouldn't save me because uh, she has a soul (???). Then they have sex because ????????? MECHANIC GIRL SUCCEEDS in her quest to gently caress ASH.

they wake up and DRUGLORD is pissed because she wanted a virgin ASH to gently caress. She tells MECHANIC GIRL to erase ASH's data and wow this is super creepy and weird, i'm surprised milla isn't laughing through her monologues

PRINCE decides to run back to save ASH because i guess he really wants to gently caress ASH too, whatever

in the meantime WARLORD and his dirtbikers appear to gently caress poo poo up! They start killing people and in the commotion PRINCE runs into ASH's prison and uses the tiniest mallet to try to smash the chains on the wall that's tied to ASH's legs. WARLORD uses PRINCE's gun to kill off DRUGLORD and once he's done we get to see PRINCE in the background wimpily trying to smash the lock and everyone in the cinema (10 of us) laugh

WARLORD grabs all three of the idiots and they go outside to have a public execution. He instructs ASH to chop off PRINCE's and MECHANIC GIRL's heads off. ASH is like ok i'm compliant now and everyone in the audience is like YES PLEASE KILL PRINCE NOW KILL HIM THIS FUCKER WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING BAD IN THIS FILM (also he is mark wahlberg's nephew and poo poo at acting)!!!!

ASH goes bzzt i have resisted my programming and then starts killing WARLORD's gang instead. The three get on dirtbikes and WARLORD and his gang follow and by this time everyone in the audience is super sick of montages of dirtbiking in the desert, enough already.

ASH is like "i need to do something badass ok" so she takes a bike and a pole and then trips WARLORD up in a not very badass sequence. Then she stabs the gently caress out of WARLORD and he dies. The three of them gently caress off while the dirtbikers mourn their WARLORD and the camera lingers on them so long it made me feel bad for the dirtbikers

They go back to THE OASIS and QUEEN is somehow not dead and nobody asks about PRINCE's worthless friends, gently caress them. He gives QUEEN the Phoneix Down he took from the boss in DRUGTOWN and she's like "i'm cured!" and the audience is like "that's convenient".

Then ASH is all "this is not my place" and PRINCE is like "why" and i'm like "seriously she's not into you stop wanting to gently caress THE ROBOT, gross." ASH goes "i need to... uh... do justice" and it's like, yeah that works i guess.......

ASH and MECHANIC go out dirtbiking into the setting sun of the desert to become DIRTBIKING POST-APOCALYPTIC ROBOT-HUMAN-UNION VIGILANTE LESBIANS, the end.

moral: don't write a movie where EVERYONE wants to gently caress THE ROBOT.

EDIT: i should point out because people have asked me, but other than MECHANIC GIRL and BIG DUDE, everyone and everywhere is named that way in the film.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 4, 2018

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait a Milla Jovovich movie is bad?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Franco directed that one lmao. The trailer looked horrendous.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

James Franco directed that one lmao. The trailer looked horrendous.

Didn't you know he's a genius? He goes to college!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I watched Future World yesterday courtesy of a free ticket. It's very bad! It does veer into entertainingly bad several times but this film has many, many shots that linger too long and dull that didn't work. I won't recommend paying to watch it but I had fun, so it was good!

The story is trite and has that "a 14 year old wrote this", I wrote a summary for a friend full of spoilers but he wanted to see it after reading it, so here it goes:

ok so FUTURE WORLD

IT IS THE POST-APOCALYPTIC FUTURE. everything is a DESERT. it's not clear how bad things are but apparently bullets are so scarce people don't bother with guns.

James Franco is THE WARLORD. He and his dirtbiker gang dirtbikes across a desert to attack an abandoned silo full of innocent people. The silo contains a SUPER HOT NAKED ROBOT. He activates her and names her ASH. He has a voice command remote that controls everything she does. THE WARLORD wants to gently caress ASH.

in the meantime there is an OASIS full of people and trees and even a lake. Lucy liu is THE QUEEN and she has a son PRINCE. PRINCE is the worst child actor in Hollywood now and sadly, the main protagonist. THE QUEEN is ill and PRINCE is like, mom according to this faded postcard there is a PARADISE BEACH with a TEMPLE OF LIFE where your cure awaits. THE QUEEN is all look this is a bad idea and everyone PRINCE talks to agree, it is a totally bad idea. but THE QUEEN also tells PRINCE he has the "eyes of a leader" (he does not) so he's like I AM LEADING!!!! and goes out dirtbiking with his two idiot friends to find PARADISE BEACH.

WARLORD brings his gang and ASH to LOVETOWN, owned by THE LOVELORD played by Snoop Dogg. The cinema censored a lot of stuff but i think it's basically a very large whorehouse. THE LOVELORD wants to gently caress ASH but does not act on it. PRINCE and his friends also turn up in LOVETOWN. One of PRINCE's friend has a gun and shoots dead a LOVELORD gang member. WARLORD sees this as an opportunity to amass weapons, so he sends ASH to seduce PRINCE, who is such a lovely character he accepts the seduction. I actually don't understand how it happens since they have zero chemistry whatsoever. so yes, PRINCE wants to gently caress ASH.

In return ASH, controlled by WARLORD, steals PRINCE's gun and shoots dead his worthless friends. Then they torture PRINCE until he finally reveals that he got the gun from the OASIS

They drive to the OASIS with PRINCE, not caring to get him to draw a map first because ??? And then ASH has a change of heart. It's not explained but a narration by ASH tells us she thinks this is the right thing to do. She defies WARLORD's commands and hijacks the truck PRINCE is in, badly injuring herself. The escape sequence is almost 15 minutes and very boring consisting of ASH and PRINCE running in holes and dirtbikers dirtbiking. they succeed in escaping

A deeply wounded ASH and PRINCE walk to a church and stay the night. ASH asks if she, a robot, has a soul and PRINCE says yes. It's still not clear how she defies programming and WARLORD's commands. Then ASH is like how do I talk to God and PRINCE actually teaches her how to pray, and presumably her programming thinks this is dumb so she shuts down. PRINCE builds a makeshift stretcher and walks in the desert dragging her along. It's also not clear why these people don't need food or water in the desert.

They reach PARADISE BEACH and get attacked by marauders. PARADISE BEACH has a big abandoned (community centre?) that's operated by THE DRUGLORD played by Milla Jollovich. PRINCE asks if this is the TEMPLE OF LIFE and she tells him nope, it's DRUGTOWN now. So yeah, the place is full of junkies. He says he needs to heal THE QUEEN and DRUGLORD says ok, but you need to be like us and PRINCE is like uhhhh what so she shoots him up with lots of drugs so he goes to sleep goodbye.

We get about a million year's worth of footage of his getting high and none of that is interesting.

ASH KETCHUM is operated on by MECHANIC GIRL who technomagically boots her up after like, soldering some wires. Then DRUGLORD takes ASH and is like "oooh i love you" and it's written so badly, I thought she just was happy to have a "daughter" she could love but

no

DRUGLORD then throws PRINCE in a dried out swimming pool with a BIG DUDE and says "haha, you now need to fight this guy in a hosed-up state! then you can find the cure for your mom in his stomach" which sounds super dumb, but is in fact true. She holds a machete and shouts "I have a wildcard!" BIG DUDE punches PRINCE a few times then DRUGLORD says "This is the wildcard!" and throw the machete into the pool. In his hosed up state PRINCE somehow takes the machete and fucks up BIG DUDE and then seriously, he cuts into his stomach and does find the drugs to save his mom. at this point people in the audience start laughing

PRINCE is like ok i wanna go but! I want ASH to come with me. ASH is like no fuckboi, gently caress off. so PRINCE well, he goes away from DRUGTOWN but not from this movie, that upset me.

ASH has big chains wrapping her feet tied to the wall in her prison. MECHANIC GIRL steals into ASH's prison and tries to saw her loving thick chain with a thin handsaw which lmao. Then ASH is like no MECHANIC GIRL, you shouldn't save me because uh, she has a soul (???). Then they have sex because ????????? MECHANIC GIRL SUCCEEDS in her quest to gently caress ASH.

they wake up and DRUGLORD is pissed because she wanted a virgin ASH to gently caress. She tells MECHANIC GIRL to erase ASH's data and wow this is super creepy and weird, i'm surprised milla isn't laughing through her monologues

PRINCE decides to run back to save ASH because i guess he really wants to gently caress ASH too, whatever

in the meantime WARLORD and his dirtbikers appear to gently caress poo poo up! They start killing people and in the commotion PRINCE runs into ASH's prison and uses the tiniest mallet to try to smash the chains on the wall that's tied to ASH's legs. WARLORD uses PRINCE's gun to kill off DRUGLORD and once he's done we get to see PRINCE in the background wimpily trying to smash the lock and everyone in the cinema (10 of us) laugh

WARLORD grabs all three of the idiots and they go outside to have a public execution. He instructs ASH to chop off PRINCE's and MECHANIC GIRL's heads off. ASH is like ok i'm compliant now and everyone in the audience is like YES PLEASE KILL PRINCE NOW KILL HIM THIS FUCKER WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING BAD IN THIS FILM (also he is mark wahlberg's nephew and poo poo at acting)!!!!

ASH goes bzzt i have resisted my programming and then starts killing WARLORD's gang instead. The three get on dirtbikes and WARLORD and his gang follow and by this time everyone in the audience is super sick of montages of dirtbiking in the desert, enough already.

ASH is like "i need to do something badass ok" so she takes a bike and a pole and then trips WARLORD up in a not very badass sequence. Then she stabs the gently caress out of WARLORD and he dies. The three of them gently caress off while the dirtbikers mourn their WARLORD and the camera lingers on them so long it made me feel bad for the dirtbikers

They go back to THE OASIS and QUEEN is somehow not dead and nobody asks about PRINCE's worthless friends, gently caress them. He gives QUEEN the Phoneix Down he took from the boss in DRUGTOWN and she's like "i'm cured!" and the audience is like "that's convenient".

Then ASH is all "this is not my place" and PRINCE is like "why" and i'm like "seriously she's not into you stop wanting to gently caress THE ROBOT, gross." ASH goes "i need to... uh... do justice" and it's like, yeah that works i guess.......

ASH and MECHANIC go out dirtbiking into the setting sun of the desert to become DIRTBIKING POST-APOCALYPTIC ROBOT-HUMAN-UNION VIGILANTE LESBIANS, the end.

EDIT: i should point out because people have asked me, but other than MECHANIC GIRL and BIG DUDE, everyone and everywhere is named that way in the film.

So is this a moviepass or no

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ok so FUTURE WORLD

no

Sounds like a future winner on Best of the Worst.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

James Francos Max Max film

Is it any fun at least?

I actually sort of admire Franco for his willingness to mix up John Cheever adaptations with nonsense like this. I do have to wonder where he's getting the money for the 2-3 films he directs each year. Outside of The Disaster Artist, they barely get released.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BeigeJacket posted:

Is it any fun at least?

I actually sort of admire Franco for his willingness to mix up John Cheever adaptations with nonsense like this. I do have to wonder where he's getting the money for the 2-3 films he directs each year. Outside of The Disaster Artist, they barely get released.

He ropes in producers that pump out a million films a year. There must be some scam/racket behind it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BeigeJacket posted:

Is it any fun at least?

I mean, I imagine even with the star-studded casts he's not spending a ton of money on these movies, and the name recognition means that if he does turn out something worthwhile it's pretty much guaranteed to do okay.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BeigeJacket posted:

I actually sort of admire Franco for his willingness to mix up John Cheever adaptations with nonsense like this.
Dear Henry,

Last night with you was bliss. I fear my orgasm has left me a cripple. I don't how I shall ever get back to work.

I love you madly,
John

P.S. Loved the cabin.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It honestly sounds like they tried to make a big budget rip off of that 80s retro movie. Was it Powerkid? The one that was like a competently made Kung Fury.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Turbokid.

But that wasn't really like Kung fury at all, it had exactly one aesthetic and motif and stuck with it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
And it still wasn't very good.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Can we talk for a minute about how awful the Kung Fury feature film is going to be

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What? They're making one?

They couldn't even stretch the premise to half a god drat hour after throwing in a three minutes scene of two nameless Nazis bantering with each other about a single pun

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Have any of these 'wacky', ker-razy internet shorts ever worked when expanded to feature length?

The synthwave fad, and aesthetic, is going to look so, so dated in a few years time. A shame as I actually really like the first round of artists doing this music. But they were taking direct influence from Tangerine Dream, Jan Hammer and Jean Michel Jarre, etc. But you then got this crowd of imitators, who picked up on the obvious parts of the genre (the basslines and arpeggiated minor chords) and just churned out an endless stream of derivative dreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BeigeJacket posted:

The synthwave fad, and aesthetic, is going to look so, so dated in a few years time.

That's kind of the point, though.