Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Galactic civilization II is free on Humble bundle for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gun Jam posted:

Galactic civilization II is free on Humble bundle for now.

Warning- this game has that Civ-style one-more-turn thing big time. It’s a great game but even at more than a decade old it’s led to some “gently caress, it’s 3am, isn’t it?” moments.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Warning- this game has that Civ-style one-more-turn thing big time. It’s a great game but even at more than a decade old it’s led to some “gently caress, it’s 3am, isn’t it?” moments.

This is also exacerbated if you pop an Adderall before sitting down. You end up using the ship designer to design some pretty great art-pieces though.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/998972612784066560

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also on Steam! Get two copies for the price of none!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Kins posted:

Hacknet Deluxe is free on Humble for a couple of days.

The Kins posted:

Guns of Icarus Alliance is free for the next four days in honour of ARE TROOPS

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 24, 2018

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Offbrand X-COM Xenonauts free for the next two days.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Unhappy Meal posted:

Offbrand X-COM Xenonauts free for the next two days.

This game is absolutely worth your time. I put 122 hours across a few playthroughs. It's really solid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this is on gog, not steam, but you can use the community edition all the same by googling for it

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stealth edited when I realized it wasn't through Steam. But yeah use Community Edition for QoL and bug fixes.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mildly related, there is a new batch of games available on https://gog.com/connect

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Some kischy-looking tower defense thing called Fortified is free to keep forever if you grab it before June 8.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
oh wow this loving old rear end janky tank game I played as a teen still exists now and is freeware in this day and age http://www.longbowgames.com/treadmarks/ HOPEFULLY it still has a modding community or at least said mods archived somewhere despite this poo poo being a decade old and from obscure indie dev.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For the moment, Totally Accurate Battlegrounds is free to keep if you get it now, not sure how long this has left on the promo. Game itself is sort of what you'd expect, a half-parody half-clone of pubg style games, except everything is physics based.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

For Honor Starter Edition is free on Uplay until 17th June.

Sure it's the basic budget edition, but it's got quite a lot included:

quote:

All game content, maps, modes, and events are available in the package
No split between Standard Edition and Starter Edition player bases
3 Vanguard Heroes come fully Unlocked
3 additional Heroes (of your chosen Faction) are playable but not Recruited
Unlocking Launch Heroes is 8,000 Steel
Unlocking DLC (Post-Launch) Heroes is still 15,000 Steel

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1006927205870362624

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Oh. I was wondering why I suddenly started thinking of Ignis's cooking while browsing the forums yesterday.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Shadowrun Returns Deluxe is free on Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/shadowrun-returns-deluxe

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Buncha good free games via Twitch this month if you have Amazon Prime (though I guess they're technically not free if you're paying for Prime but whatevs) - https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition: July 2-4
Metal Slug 3: July 3 - August 2
The Last Blade: July 3 - August 2
Twinkle Star Sprites: July 3 - August 2
Q.U.B.E. 2: July 3-4
Battle Chef Brigade: July 4-11
Manual Samuel: July 5-12
Gonner: July 6-13
Next Up Hero: July 7-14
Uurnog Uurnlimited: July 8-14
Hue: July 9-15
Deponia Doomsday: July 10-16
Observer: July 11-17
Tacoma: July 12-18
The Bridge: July 13-26
Brutal Legend: July 14-27
The Red Strings Club: July 15-21
Tyranny: July 16-18
Broken Age: July 17-31
The Framed Collection: July 18-31
Serial Cleaner: July 18-31

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How does it work with Amazon prime? Do you get a steam key?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How does it work with Amazon prime? Do you get a steam key?

no you have to use twitch's own stupid client thinger

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
That seems pretty decidedly not free, particularly outside of the US where Prime is kinda poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pararoid posted:

That seems pretty decidedly not free, particularly outside of the US where Prime is kinda poo poo.

You can sign up for a free trial month of Prime and immediately cancel it and get the games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's no more and no less free than the indiegala dance that's described in the op, so basically take your picks on whether or not that headache is worth it to you for the games on offer.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1017463226714341376

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

guns of icarus is free again

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/guns-of-icarus-alliance

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Star Ruler 2 and its expansion pack are now free and open-source... with a catch: If you want it for free, you'll have to compile it for yourself! Also: No music.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

The Kins posted:

Star Ruler 2 and its expansion pack are now free and open-source... with a catch: If you want it for free, you'll have to compile it for yourself! Also: No music.

Hey, if there's interest becoming a Star Ruler 2 without paying :10bux: :10bux: for it, shout out in this thread. I can do an effortpost on how to make this happen on Windows 10. It's not very complicated, Microsoft Visual Studio (which is also free) will do all the hard lifting, and you just click on some buttons in the order I tell you.

Warning: While it's easy, the process will be somewhat annoying since you'll probably have to create a Visual Studio developer account, and the thing will download and install like ~7GB of tools to compile this 500MB game. That's modern software development for you! On the other hand you'll feel like a cool hacker compiling a whole videogame on your own system.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can you not just use Code Blocks or other lightweight IDE's?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Can you not just use Code Blocks or other lightweight IDE's?

It's possible. I used VS since it was already on my system, and I got a functional game out of it very easily just by pointing it at the .sln file. If you want to post a tutorial on how to compile Star Ruler 2 on some other IDE, I'd be really interested in it!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't know if I can throw that together, my use of Code Blocks was mandated by a class (I prefer VS because I'm lame and UE4 likes it) and getting it set up and compiling was a pain in the rear end. It routinely lost track of the GNU compiler and would ask for parameters randomly. Closing and reopening it would fix this.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't know if I can throw that together, my use of Code Blocks was mandated by a class (I prefer VS because I'm lame and UE4 likes it) and getting it set up and compiling was a pain in the rear end. It routinely lost track of the GNU compiler and would ask for parameters randomly. Closing and reopening it would fix this.

Sounds like we're in the same boat then, the reason I have VS installed is because it lets me have C# and a somewhat functional debugger within Unity. Let's not derail this thread further with this tool talk though.

My offer still stands, if there are actually people out there interested in simple-to-follow instructions on how to compile this game, and become the ruler of stars 2, I can post a tutorial that will take you there.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plz do so.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:justpost:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Attention, class! I know you all just can't wait to be nominated as Raumfürher for all time. However, you can't just start telling your people to build battleships and blow up and colonize lizardman planets, there's a whole lot of red tape to cut through!

Follow this link: https://github.com/BlindMindStudios/StarRuler2-Source

This is Github, where the source code of the game is available. Dowload the entire thing in a zip file from here:

Now unzip the package wherever you want the game to reside. For the purposes of the tutorial I just unzipped it at the root of my D: drive, but the location doesn't matter.
If you look in the folder, you'll see an inviting 'Star Ruler 2.exe' executable. This is the launcher for the game. You can double click on it already, but it'll do nothing, since there are no binaries to actually launch.

Next head to https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/

Visual Studio is an IDE, or an Integrated Development Environment. It's a set of tools that are used to create programs, such as video games. We'll use it to compile the code you just downloaded into an actually functioning videogame.
Just click on the download link on the web page, and then launch the installer you downloaded. You should see something like this:

As you can see, there's a ton of options about exactly what to install. Thankfully VS comes in parts, and is good about figuring out what parts it requires on the fly. You can just click on the install button for now to get going. If it asks about "workloads" or other things it wants to install, just say yes. Doesn't hurt. You might be invited to take a survey or two during this process. Helps to pass the time!

It'll also want you to create an account, but we can actually do without one! Click on 'Not now, maybe later'.

After the install is complete, you should see the Start Page of Visual Studio. Head straight to File -> Open -> Project / Solution...

The file Visual Studio wants to see is called 'Star Ruler 2.sln'. This is the location of the file:

Now Visual Studio will inform you that it doesn't actually have half the stuff it needs to deal with Star Ruler 2. Click on 'Install'
The Visual Studio installer screen you saw before will come back up. Click on 'Modify' at the bottom right. Yeah, it says 'Modify' instead of 'Install' this time. Weird.
Some other popups might come along, there might be a survey! Just keep clicking 'Ok' and 'Continue' and other words like that.
It might ask you to restart your system for god knows what reason. Keep focused on the thought of turning some insufferable elf race's planets into glass.
If you had to restart, just start Visual Studio and open the 'Star Ruler 2.sln' file again.

In the end if everything went right, you should be looking at a screen like this:

Now we want to compile the game. The relevant functions are under the Build menu. However, before jumping the gun, let's check out the Configuration Manager:

We want our configuration to be 'Non-Steam release':

The default 'Debug' configuration might work just fine, but there also could be weird things related to actually developing the game in there, so let's do this properly.

Now we're ready to compile. Click on 'Build Solution' in the Build menu!

Feast your eyes on the output window; this is the powerful process of turning source code into a video game! There'll be a lot of warnings, it's just the compiler being pedantic about how you're supposed to code in C++. Nobody cares, compiler.

Depending on your processor, this will take a while. Contemplate diverting asteroids towards insectoid dyson spheres.

When the process is done you should see this in the output window:

Are you ready to rule the stars 2? Because now that 'Star Ruler 2.exe' launcher I mentioned earlier will totally launch the game!

You also now have a fully functional Star Ruler 2 development environment. Don't like something about the game? Find that part in the source code, change it, and click on Build Solution again! Good luck, C++ is a complex language for a beginner, but it's easy to start with something like changing a bit of text to say 'butt'.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it would be easier just to buy it when it goes on sale.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it would be easier just to buy it when it goes on sale.
Yes, but

StoryTime posted:

changing a bit of text to say 'butt'.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Information wants to be butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Origin has retired their "On the House" freebie program, so don't expect anything else on that front.