Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bob Morales posted:

HR has requested we no longer call the cell phone extender 'the cancer box'

Get out your label maker so it can officially be recognized as the "Centrally Located Radiation Dispenser".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We've got a machine here that needs a laptop with some proprietary software on it to talk to it and of course that software requires a hardware dongle and you'll never guess what happened when Rufus dropped the laptop. Anyway, the replacement dongle is $1275 and my normally laid back boss is getting a bit irritating complaining about having to spend that money. poo poo, it's the price of doing business, man. I've been telling him for months we need to find a safer way to talk to that machine and keep getting put off with 'we're going to replace it next month' for 5 months now. Well, now you're going to have to replace the dongle, too dude, unless you want to speed up that replacement unit.

As for why the dongle costs so much? Because they can! Just because it isn't a artisanal custom machine part made in switzerland out of stolen Nazi gold doesn't make any less important for the functioning of the machine. Calm down, dude.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

HR has requested we no longer call the cell phone extender 'the cancer box'

How very backwards, because what really is cancer but a very aggressive cell booster?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

How very backwards, because what really is cancer but a very aggressive cell booster?

The owner's daughter came up with that name.

She is an anti-vaxxer, homeopathic/essential oils tard, turns off her home wifi at night, slept with a gold foil blanket over her belly when she was pregnant to avoid radiation to baby :tinfoil:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tactlessbastard posted:

We've got a machine here that needs a laptop with some proprietary software on it to talk to it and of course that software requires a hardware dongle and you'll never guess what happened when Rufus dropped the laptop. Anyway, the replacement dongle is $1275 and my normally laid back boss is getting a bit irritating complaining about having to spend that money. poo poo, it's the price of doing business, man. I've been telling him for months we need to find a safer way to talk to that machine and keep getting put off with 'we're going to replace it next month' for 5 months now. Well, now you're going to have to replace the dongle, too dude, unless you want to speed up that replacement unit.

As for why the dongle costs so much? Because they can! Just because it isn't a artisanal custom machine part made in switzerland out of stolen Nazi gold doesn't make any less important for the functioning of the machine. Calm down, dude.

You can get non-poo poo USB network hubs designed for license dongles. So you keep the thing locked away in your server room and install a driver on the laptop.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bob Morales posted:

The owner's daughter came up with that name.

She is an anti-vaxxer, homeopathic/essential oils tard, turns off her home wifi at night, slept with a gold foil blanket over her belly when she was pregnant to avoid radiation to baby :tinfoil:

tell her about medical grade steel that has to be harvested from ships sunk during wwii

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

You can get non-poo poo USB network hubs designed for license dongles. So you keep the thing locked away in your server room and install a driver on the laptop.

Interesting! That got me googling, going to experiment with Flexihub.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

tell her about medical grade steel that has to be harvested from ships sunk during wwii

Link for lazy, this is not a thing that I knew and is kinda interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

Link for lazy, this is not a thing that I knew and is kinda interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

It is interesting, and most of the steel is being harvested from WW1 scrap ships, not WW2 casualties.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my understanding is that the major qualifier is that they be harvested from ships that sank before the trinity site test.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

my understanding is that the major qualifier is that they be harvested from ships that sank before the trinity site test.

It's actually ships that had the steel they were made out of manufactured before the trinity test, but that would certainly include the set of all ships that sank before the test!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tactlessbastard posted:

It's actually ships that had the steel they were made out of manufactured before the trinity test, but that would certainly include the set of all ships that sank before the test!

yeah, i wasn't arguing with you. just pointing out where the wwii timeframe i had came from. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It amuses me that the best sources of wood and steel are from sunken ships because it's the only place to get samples from before the point where we irrecoverably hosed up the planet.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zil posted:

Use Tumor Tower from now on.

The Mutavational Speaker

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

iirc it's actually becoming less of a problem as the radiation levels decrease back to what they were before.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't understand why people are flipping out over Microsoft buying Github. Yes it'll probably get monetized to hell and back one day but that day isn't today and I don't see the reason why poo poo like this is happening over at Gitlab as a result. Microsoft could steal your code just the same before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Github is already monetized so even that objection seems a bit thin.

The spike on gitlab is really just a tally of how many basement dwellers are out there that still use terms like FUD and M$ unironically.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I figured it was just the Mikkkkro$oft people doing it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's something to be aware of and it's about it for now. Remember though MS bought Skype, then basically used it for only its name to rebrand Lync. Given how long these moves make it's not time to raise any alarms until Github For Business is announced. It's time to jump ship when it's worse in every way and loses stuff. None of this might happen, only part of it might happen. Microsoft has purchased a lot of things and some of them have been handled extremely poorly, others have been handled rather well but everyone loves to remember only the failures.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Che Delilas posted:

Meh, I say take a break when you need one. It's not their fault that we as a culture have this insane notion of work as a virtue in and of itself, so people feel like they have to invent reasons to take the time they're entitled to. Now, if they're not getting their poo poo done or seriously disrupting the rest of the team due to chronic unplanned absences, that's something else again.

I live in The Netherlands so by law we get 22ish vacation (pto) days. If you need to take a day of, that’s what these are for. I guess it’s somewhat of a different discussion.

People calling in sick so often while not being sick usually leads to ‘management attention’ on everyone that calls in sick for real. Which basically means you’re screwing your co workers.

But yeah, if you don’t have PTO, take mental health days whenever you need them.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Partycat posted:

I’d argue it is not the appropriate answer for hands free homes, or large enterprise. It has a niche.

But just because it has a bunch of nerd knobs doesn’t make it better. Touching all the nerd knobs also doesn’t help if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I am having ptsd flashbacks to people putting DD-WRT on their routers at max power and loving with framing for more “range” .

UBNT stuff is a good answer for when you want something that's better than consumer grade but not expensive. The niche is low-density sprawling networks in nerdhomes and non-nerd offices.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

PremiumSupport posted:

This. Especially in the summer months.

I'm sorry but if the weather is nice and my family wants to take a drive to one of the local state parks and enjoy the day I'm drat straight going to call in. Luckily my company understands this and I can say "I'm taking vacation today because it's nice out" but I totally understand that many workplaces are not as flexible or understanding. Companies need to staff with absences in mind, not as exceptional events.

A customer of mine literally has “no meeting Fridays” during the summer. Their staff are expected to be goofing off and/or not coming in on Fridays during the summer months.

poo poo. In the Pacific Northwest, productivity slows to a crawl during the threefour nice days of summer we get a year. Why waste them indoors?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm fortunate to work somewhere that offers flex time and has plenty of PTO accrual over the year. I'm able to take enough days off and half-days so I can take care of all that poo poo you just can't do on the weekend (mostly doctors' appointments).

I also have one WFH day a week... which admittedly tends to be an "open my work email/chat on one screen, open Final Fantasy XIV on the other screen" day. :v:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If your work is getting done who cares how many days it takes you to do it is my philosophy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

DizzyBum posted:

I'm fortunate to work somewhere that offers flex time and has plenty of PTO accrual over the year. I'm able to take enough days off and half-days so I can take care of all that poo poo you just can't do on the weekend (mostly doctors' appointments).

I also have one WFH day a week... which admittedly tends to be an "open my work email/chat on one screen, open Final Fantasy XIV on the other screen" day. :v:

I work remote, so FWH is every day :dance:

It's the thing that motivates me way more than anything else. I want to never, ever risk losing this privilege because it's the single greatest perk I could imagine. My stress level since I started remote 5 years ago is so different. I went back to a cubicle for a few months at one point (desperation after a layoff) and wanted to kill myself inside a week.

Sheep posted:

If your work is getting done who cares how many days it takes you to do it is my philosophy.

This is the prevailing attitude and why I love my current job. Just have Teams on your phone if you go out in case someone needs you to answer a question, and as long as you make it to all of the scheduled meetings and get your poo poo done who cares.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Must be nice to work in a place that supports work from home.
We have a wfh policy "only if you really can't come in"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Congrats! You just re-invented the inner join in our lovely visual report generator

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob Morales posted:

Congrats! You just re-invented the inner join in our lovely visual report generator

OK I actually want to see this.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

pixaal posted:

Github For Business

I too am terrified of the thing that’s been githubs revenue driver and business plan for years already

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phobeste posted:

I too am terrified of the thing that’s been githubs revenue driver and business plan for years already

But they were privately held so we don't know if they were ever actually turning a profit. Though Ars put out a big effort piece about "why microsoft made sense" that tries to analyze their money situation.

Given how poorly most internet era companies handle their "holy poo poo our website got popular and no one wants to pay for it and we're burning Serious Dollars" situation, I wouldn't be surprised if github was doing badly.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Well they overnighted the dongle and it got here this morning and it wouldn't authenticate. I've spent all day on and off the phone with the vendor and they just realized they sent us the wrong dongle

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tactlessbastard posted:

the wrong dongle

Wallace and Gromit do IT

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Wallace and Gromit do IT

Oh ho, they were being very evasive but the tech guy just admitted it was a license dongle for their much more expensive version of the software!

Edit: They really want it back, lol. Overnighting the right one, waiving the original cost.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 5, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

tactlessbastard posted:

Oh ho, they were being very evasive but the tech guy just admitted it was a license dongle for their much more expensive version of the software!

Edit: They really want it back, lol. Overnighting the right one, waiving the original cost.

Sounds like they need to upgrade your software license for free to make you, the customer, happy...

gently caress I hate dongles.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

called today & said he has not been receiving his ACH notices via email since December 2017.

:ghost:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

About 6 months ago I got a call from a vendor about scheduling an update because their backend was being updated they had to install a new software version. I couldn't get much info beyond "it's needed if you want to use this and the engineer can answer any questions".

Today is the day to talk to the engineer: He was very angry at management for hiring temps for the phone calls, many of them being highschool students. They called everyone and just assumed their list was accurate and nothing was explained to them. The "update" was for clients still on XP and 7 as they are dropping support for XP and 7. It wasn't an update as much as migrating the data from the old computer to the new computer.

The engineer said the entire thing was a giant waste of his time now and he might as well have called as customers either don't realize they were supposed to have a new computer (the phone calls were about 6 months ago and they were scheduling well ahead of time, obvious now that it was because of hardware). It's that or people that were already fine and now confused about this massive waste of time.

Giant waste of everyone's time, I'm sure their customers who need to buy new computers, weren't told so 6 months ago. I'm sure they'll love that they have less than a month to get a new computer. The guy seemed really desperate to keep me on the phone since I'm sure most of his day is people yelling about needing a new computer.

I'm guessing the list is based on the last computer they installed the software on, their website has a download and tells you to just move the DATA folder to migrate to a new computer. It's really going to depend what the break down of that list is, but the guy seemed pretty fed up with his job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

called today & said he has not been receiving his ACH notices via email since December 2017.

:ghost:

?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My boss has been told to find another job so I'm just going on a shopping spree for my department.

"x approved it..." when I get questioned about it at the end of the year

We need new stuff. 2560x1440 monitors, new laptops...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just as a random straw poll, how many people here work in what they'd consider to be a team, and believe that over 50% of their colleagues pull their weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm on a team of three, and I would say on any given day 66% of the team is pulling their own weight.

The person who is the remaining 33% changes regularly.