Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Smith Comma John posted:

I mentioned a bit ago that confederation is broken for welves in ME, at least when playing as Orion: the other welf factions will confederate together in the first few turns. Turns out it's also broken in your favor, since the unified faction will gladly accept a confederation request with middling relations before you hit turn 30, and before you have the level 3 oak which is supposed to unlock confederation.

Another funny thing is that every single lord and hero for the welves can commonly start with the "Talon of Kurnous" ability which grants 10% range to all units in the army, and it stacks! Your basic archers have 252 range just by sticking a lord and 3 heroes together

I'm playing welves at the moment and none of them confederated. I confederated them just fine in turn once I'd got my tree though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

madmac posted:

Raiding does create a large hit to public order, yes. Corruption also is very bad for public order. With Dwarves specifically, you have various penalties for unresolved grudges that get worse with time, including public order.

A good basic setup for minor provinces for every race is walls, one economic building (tool crafting for dwarves, or a trade resource building) + 1 free slot that can go to a recruitment building, a special building, or a pub, which gives a bonus to public order. For Dwarves in terms of town recruitment you're pretty much looking to put an infantry barracks and maybe a ranger building in your minor provinces and the rest to walls+ economic/landmark/pubs/growth ect.

Major settlements you should just be looking for any high tier chains or landmark buildings, though sometimes it's helpful to throw up a useful minor building like a farm or pub and delete it later when you have the province filled out.

Oh, and Dwarves are the worst race in the game for having recruitment chains that require 2+ buildings to unlock units, so pay careful attention to unit requirements. Like with Empire a forge in every major province is pretty much a minimum requirement.

Thanks!

If I assassinate the targets of grudges, will they go away? I've got some dudes who are way on the other side of the map I'm supposed to defeat in battle.

For recruitment purposes, if I have a province with a siege place in the main city, and a town with the infantry recruitment chain and the relevant military support building, will the benefits of the military inftrastructure be province wide and not local?

I guess what I'm getting at is like, do the dwarves 2-building requirements line up in such a way that I'm going to have to have production focuses in separate provinces, if that makes any sense?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Thanks!

If I assassinate the targets of grudges, will they go away? I've got some dudes who are way on the other side of the map I'm supposed to defeat in battle.

For recruitment purposes, if I have a province with a siege place in the main city, and a town with the infantry recruitment chain and the relevant military support building, will the benefits of the military inftrastructure be province wide and not local?

I guess what I'm getting at is like, do the dwarves 2-building requirements line up in such a way that I'm going to have to have production focuses in separate provinces, if that makes any sense?

All recruitment buildings are province wide, so yes not everything has to be built in the same settlement.

It's been a while, but I think if a Lord who is a grudge target goes away for any reason it will abort the grudge. You can also clear grudges by wiping the faction off the map entirely.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
if you ignore a grudge long enough, it will fix itself

that is how you deal with all grudges

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Frog Act posted:

You will need to spread them out. You can't get enough slots in your capital to get the unique buildings and all the recruitment necessities in the same place. You'll probably take the Greenskin capital province (directly south of you) pretty early on and that province is ideal to make into your main infantry production centre due to veterancy buff buildings. I like making Karaz-a-Karak into a siege/guns place to complement that.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This doesn't seem right, where are the rest of my slots!!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I haven't played in a while - what are some recommended mods for a ME campaign? I'm not looking for any major overhauls or balance changes, just little stuff that might fix issues unaddressed by CA. I remember the Chaos invasion was supposed to be really lovely with them just ignoring everyone but the player - is that still the case? Things like that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You'll probably want to get rid of great power diplomacy penalties because it turns into a thing where, if you haven't been best buds since turn 5, you'll never be able to be trade partners, NAP, or allies with anyone ever again unless you bribe the absolute poo poo out of them. I suspect it's because great power penalties scale off absolute values not relative values so just unifying a good chunk your corner of the world makes people think that's the equivalent of being the Evil Empire and unifying the eastern hemisphere. I mean, downplaying a 60 great power penalty and, probably, aversion on top of random sleights that will always just accrue AND trying to overcome typical CA poo poo like needing like 150 positive diplomacy with your neighbor just to trade with them is a bitch.

Mortal Empires also gets really big, so little annoyances like agents become a really, really annoying thing later on and I recommend just getting the no aggressive agents mod. Like 10 assassination attempts on your Lord in one turn kind of annoying poo poo.

Faster End Turn Camera is a mod that makes the camera move faster during the end of turns.

Rebanner is a mod that makes banners worth using.

You'll also probably need to get a reduced upkeep mod because upkeep scales way, way too highly for you to be able to field enough armies to actually hold on to your poo poo (at least, on VH/L). Unless you like the idea of raising a 4th army and the lord alone costing you 2500 in additional upkeep.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 4, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd actually recommend not playing Mortal Empires and just using WH1 or WH2 Vortex depending on where/what you want to play.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

jokes posted:

Mortal Empires also gets really big, so little annoyances like agents become a really, really annoying thing later on and I recommend just getting the no aggressive agents mod. Like 10 assassination attempts on your Lord in one turn kind of annoying poo poo.

Lords cannot get assassinated in ME, and besides the AI agents haven't been a bother since middle of first game patch cycle, they got nerfed a ton over the course of the game and that has stayed the same in tww2. To each their own of course but "no ai agents" mods is far from something that's necessary.

Also great power isn't only a penalty anymore, TK factions will like you better the more great power score you have, and I don't know what mods you run but I never have issue getting plenty of trade with pretty much any faction in vanilla ME on VH/Legendary.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Did my usual thing when this game updates: play a bunch of factions for at most 12 turns, then start as someone else. (surprisingly, I was able to finish up a TK Vortex game before the update nuked the save).

Really want to get a Delf campaign off the ground, but I feel like Helleborne's Death Night mechanic is going to annoy me. Did Malekith change significantly with this update?

EDIT: Honestly, the update just made me more eager for the Lizardmen/Skaven update.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 4, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, another fun bug with the Sword of Khaine: I killed Alarielle with Hellebron and claimed it. Which may have been a mistake, because now I can't use Hellebron's weapons, but whatever, I lost the Altar of Khaine the next turn anyway so that probably worked out. Thing is, Alarielle still has another copy. I'm going to try killing her and seeing whether I get two copies, because that'd be hilarious.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

Did my usual thing when this game updates: play a bunch of factions for at most 12 turns, then start as someone else. (surprisingly, I was able to finish up a TK Vortex game before the update nuked the save).

Really want to get a Delf campaign off the ground, but I feel like Helleborne's Death Night mechanic is going to annoy me. Did Malekith change significantly with this update?

EDIT: Honestly, the update just made me more eager for the Lizardmen/Skaven update.

The Death Night mechanic is one of the best extra mechanics they've come up imo. Unless you're playing completely passively, the the amount of slaves isn't punishing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Who's the free Dark Elf lord likely to be? Don't know much about their lore really.

Think everyone is expecting the Skink prophet guy for Lizards (similar to the Skarsnik campaign, making Skinks way better with less access to Saurus) and Ikkit Claw as the Skaven guy for the paid lord pack right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

thebardyspoon posted:

Who's the free Dark Elf lord likely to be? Don't know much about their lore really.

Think everyone is expecting the Skink prophet guy for Lizards (similar to the Skarsnik campaign, making Skinks way better with less access to Saurus) and Ikkit Claw as the Skaven guy for the paid lord pack right?

They might not get one. Empire still only has 3 in the campaign even with Toddbringer as a bonus in Multiplayer.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Zore posted:

They might not get one. Empire still only has 3 in the campaign even with Toddbringer as a bonus in Multiplayer.

Their initial freelc rollout plan had a free lord for each race on it, obviously that all got pushed way back cause of Norsca but I'd assume it's back on. Think they said they wanted each faction in 2 to eventually have 4 lords as well.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

thebardyspoon posted:

I think the betting is on Lokhir Fellheart, starting with a special black ark somewhere interesting, or a less likely Malus Darkblade with some Chaos association.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Huh, after checking the requirements, just realized I got awarded yet another bugged out achievement last night. Picked up Dark Dragon Lord which, going by the text, requires recruiting a Black Dragon as the Dark Elves... I got it upon conquering Vaul's Anvil (the DE one), which happened to have the upgraded scroll building already constructed (which has a Black Dragon in its garrison).

Given I'd already built one of those upgraded garrisons, and did so months and months ago near release too in a different campaign, not sure how that magically hit the trigger this time. Not like I've ever actually recruited one of those in any game, so it's not even a matter of the trigger somehow getting delayed or something.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I want more Lizardy lords. I love the faction, but I'm bored of those starts.

I also want more welf lords, as they are my favourite faction by far. But I doubt they're coming :(

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I keep getting confused between Naggaroth, Naggarond and Naggarythe.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Dramicus posted:

I keep getting confused between Naggaroth, Naggarond and Naggarythe.

Nagarythe is the Dark Elve's original homeland in Ulthuan. Naggaroth is their current kingdom in Canada. Naggarond is the capital of Naggaroth and Malekith's starting city. Not that this probably helps much.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they're all full of dark elves, or as i like to call them,

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So instant quest battles mod breaks Norsca confederations, just fyi. Norsca is still really bugged though, I have 2 lords of change running around fully kitted out, I can't disband, replace or rename em.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ammanas posted:

So instant quest battles mod breaks Norsca confederations, just fyi. Norsca is still really bugged though, I have 2 lords of change running around fully kitted out, I can't disband, replace or rename em.

That bug also sounds like a mod conflict issue, honestly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I sorta wonder how much of all these bugs are just because people are running old mods on a patch that had 7 months of content held up in it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I sorta wonder how much of all these bugs are just because people are running old mods on a patch that had 7 months of content held up in it.

I also think a lot of the mods that "updated" for the new patch, weren't actually checked for compatibility, just changed the version number.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I think the betting is on Lokhir Fellheart, starting with a special black ark somewhere interesting, or a less likely Malus Darkblade with some Chaos association.

Lokhir also has a cool model.

Speaking of Cool Models I also quite like Wulfric's model despite how overdone it is.

Throgg is the clear winner however for the Norscan lords.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Instant Quest Battles mod hasn't been updated in 4 months, since Crynsos is still fighting to get the CMF working flawlessly. It's been something I keep an eye on since I usually use Gelt as my Empire LL of choice, his questline is poo poo and the IQB mod is practically mandatory for him IMO, and that also Crynsos has been struggling with it, the CMF, and bugs like some of Gelt's quest battles not giving appropriate rewards and the Empire's Chapter Objectives not triggering properly past the conquest of Grunburg for a long-rear end while.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Which agent is the dedicated assassin for the High Elves? Also, any agents i should try to get in my armies? I see they have fire mages which were devastating in my Dark Elves campaign.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lokhir also has a cool model.

I wonder if it would be mechanically possible for him to start on a Black Ark in the middle of the ocean, with no provinces. Or even to make him a permanently seaborn 'horde' faction.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dongattack posted:

Which agent is the dedicated assassin for the High Elves? Also, any agents i should try to get in my armies? I see they have fire mages which were devastating in my Dark Elves campaign.

Nobles are the ones who have the actual Assassinate ability. They're decent combatants but really shine for the Secure Influence action on the campaign map.

Mages of any kind, Loremasters of Hoeth, and Handmaidens are all good heroes to accompany armies. Loremasters have a grab-bag of magic (including healing and direct damage spells) and are good melee combatants too. Note that Mages can get the 'Incendiary' trait sometimes at the 40 influence cost level, which makes them extremely potent melee combatants on top of their usual magic traits, so keep an eye out there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ZeusJupitar posted:

I wonder if it would be mechanically possible for him to start on a Black Ark in the middle of the ocean, with no provinces. Or even to make him a permanently seaborn 'horde' faction.

Nothing but auto resolved naval battles all game. :suicide:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Lokhir originates from Karond Kar. So I imagine that would be his faction.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

important counterpoint: give me a dark elf who starts Literally Anywhere That Isn't Canada.

actually giving him those islands in the southeast of the vortex map would be good

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Personally, I would prefer if we got a Delf start in a radically different location just for variety's sake. Him being a sea lord means he could just set up shop anywhere and it would be lore-friendly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

thebardyspoon posted:

My guess is the next Skaven LL will be a Grey Seer, since "The Prophet and the Seer" just writes itself as a DLC title.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

My guess is the next Skaven LL will be a Grey Seer, since "The Prophet and the Seer" just writes itself as a DLC title.

I think it has to be Thanquol and Skavenblight.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
With Ikit Claw as a FLC Legendary?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

John Charity Spring posted:

That bug also sounds like a mod conflict issue, honestly.

Yeah, probably. The first LoC had been recruited by throgg before I confederated him, the 2nd came from new army recruitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Can anyone link me a TW:W mod that makes siege towers not able to attack literally everything you have in deployment? It'd be dope if it was save file compatible but I just want it in general because that is really dumb