Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Sure let’s use our bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Gonna bow to show we're the real masters of honor.

Also, the presence of that art makes me worried.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
It's ALWAYS time to use our splendid Bow!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Guy Fawkes posted:

It's ALWAYS time to use our splendid Bow!
Next Lone Wolf thread we should all agree to never wish to use the bow.
But this time, let's use the bow.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Never Not Use The Bow.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

Never Not Use The Bow.

(Except when magic is also an option. :science:)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

The magic square one caused me to think the most. Also I think I’ve seen part of that skeleton image somewhere before...

Sure let’s use our bow.
Deathtrap dungeon I think.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Use our Bow. Light our Arrow on Fire with Kai-Alchemy. Aim for the Skeleton.

Why is only the most boring of these an option?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Darke Crusade posted:

You quickly draw an Arrow and take aim through a hole in the portcullis, but the Tukodak cower behind Prarg, using him as a human shield. Again the cruel voice booms out: ‘Put down your bow, Lone Wolf, or I’ll have my guards kill your companion.’

At once your anger subsides. You sense that this is no idle threat and, reluctantly, you obey the command.

From out of the shadows of the secret passage steps Warlord Magnaarn. He is a huge man—not much over six feet tall but massively built. His body is sheathed in finely crafted armour that fits his frame like a glove, and his features are coarse and foreboding, accentuated by a fresh battle scar which runs diagonally from the top of his red-haired scalp to a point near the lobe of his left ear.

Arrogantly he approaches the portcullis and stares unblinkingly into your eyes. For a moment you consider attacking him, but your senses detect that he is surrounded by a field of energy so strong that already you feel it leeching your psychic powers. He reaches to a pocket inside his cloak and takes out a large black gemstone, which he holds level with his sneering face. Scarlet veins glow within the depths of this stone, swirling and undulating as if they are alive. Waves of dizziness force you to your knees as the evil power of the Doomstone of Darke washes over you, bleeding you of the strength and will to resist.

‘I’ve been waiting for you, Lone Wolf,’ says Magnaarn, with a condescending tone. ‘I’ve known your plan ever since my spies told me of your arrival at Vadera. After all, there could be but one reason why the great Grand Master of the Kai would come to Lencia at this time. Yet, as you can see, Grand Master, you are already too late to stop me.’

Magnaarn turns to his Tukodak guards and orders them to take Prarg away. You try to protest but you cannot find strength enough to voice the words. The warlord smiles at your weakness.

‘Know you this, Grand Master. Now that I possess the stone of power, nothing can stand in my way. You were the only threat to my victory, but now you’re a threat no longer.’

With this he steps away from the portcullis and turns to follow his guards as they drag Prarg into the secret passage.

‘Farewell,’ he says, sardonically, before disappearing into the portal, ‘and remember my first words to you: welcome to your tomb.’

With these chilling words echoing in your mind, you watch as he disappears into the passage and the wall closes behind him.

A few moments after the wall closes there is a sound like distant thunder. Then a shudder runs through the floor and clumps of dirt begin to fall from cracks in the ceiling. Your strength is returning, but before you can attempt to escape, there is an almighty explosion and a deluge of rock and damp earth cascades into the passageway. The ceiling and floor are being pulled in opposing directions, and with a grating cry of tortured stone, the heavy portcullis shatters in two. Quickly you crawl beneath a broken section which lies at an angle to the wall, and take cover as countless tons of rock and earth rain down from above.

When at last the destruction ceases you find yourself trapped in the narrow triangular space between the heavy portcullis and the wall. Your quick thinking has saved you from physical injury, but, as far as you can tell, you are now buried in a collapsed level of the temple, hundreds of feet below the surface. Confident in the knowledge that, at worst, your stamina and Kai skills alone can keep you alive for several days, you begin the slow and laborious task of digging your way out of this subterranean tomb.

For fifteen days you tunnel through a solid wall of earth and broken rock, using your weapons and bare hands, sustained all the while by little more than your indefatigable spirit and will to survive. You are near to giving up when, mid-way through the sixteenth day of your internment, you suddenly break through into a passageway that is free of debris. Weak but alive, you drag yourself into this empty tunnel and collapse on the damp, fungi-covered floor.

Reduce your current ENDURANCE points score to 15 (if it is currently above this level). Also, erase any Meals you may have been carrying in your Backpack, and erase any potions of Laumspur and/or Alether.

Many hours pass before you regain consciousness, and although your terrible ordeal has left you physically weakened, your mind is still as sharp and resolute as ever. You are determined to find a route to the surface and continue your quest, for even though Magnaarn now has Captain Prarg and the Doomstone of Darke, there may yet be a way you can defeat him. Before he entombed you in the passage he admitted that you alone posed a threat to his quest for victory over Lencia. Now that he thinks you dead and buried, you feel sure you can turn this to your advantage.

You stagger to your feet and peer along the gloomy passageway in either direction, east and west. You are anxious to pursue a route that will lead you quickly to the surface, and when you detect cold, damp air wafting from the west, you hurry this way. But you are soon disappointed. The passageway ends abruptly at the edge of a vast chasm, formed by the same destructive powers which buried you alive. At the bottom of this great fissure is a river of black water, and high above, you glimpse a few rays of winter daylight filtering through a tiny rent in the darkness. It looks so far distant that you abandon any thought of reaching it from here and return along the passageway.

A few hundred yards beyond where you emerged, you discover an octagonal chamber that is bathed by an eerie green light. This light is emitted by fungi which blanket the walls and ceiling and illuminate a strange circular door that has an octagonal lock. You have been in the chamber for no more than a few seconds when your senses detect something is wrong. Invisible fumes are rising from the fungi, which, in your weakened state, are making you feel dizzy and nauseous.

Curing: +1 EP (16/37).

Although you have been greatly weakened by your internment, your powers of Nexus are still sufficient to neutralize the effects of the noxious fumes.

As your mind clears and your strength returns, you approach the circular door and take a closer look at its strange octagonal lock. It comprises a keyhole and a series of numbers, although one of the numbers is clearly missing. Experience tells you that this is a dual combination lock, one that can be opened either by key or by tapping in the correct number which is missing from the sequence.

Curing: +1 EP (17/37).

You step closer to the door and carefully examine the combination lock. You are confident that, with your skill and experience, you will soon have it open without too much difficulty.

Curing: +1 EP (18/37).
What's the answer?

We just lost four doses of alether, two doses of laumspur, two meals and 22 Endurance points. Project Aon suggests we should also lose our potion of Oede but I think this book is mean enough already. And yeah, that section's totally unavoidable. The only way to avoid losing anything is to choose not to bring any potions of laumspur or alether with you at the start of the book.

Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern

3. Brass Key
  4. 22 Gold Crowns

5. Potion of Oede (+10 EP)

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 5, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Did we skip using the bow?

nelson fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 5, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Did we skip using the bow?
I somehow pasted the end of the last update again in place of the section where we don't use our bow. Fixed now.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
wow, what an rear end in a top hat loving move

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

15 days digging ourselves out of a tomb. Man we are pretty hardcore at this point.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maugrim posted:

15 days digging ourselves out of a tomb. Man we are pretty hardcore at this point.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oh yeaah, the "it took 15 days to dig yourself out of that place using the sommerswurd as a shovel" moment, my favorite part of the hyperkay series.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean to be fair, that's pretty legit. Like, you survive FIFTEEN loving DAYS with no food or water. You really are getting close to demigod territory at this point.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I mean to be fair, that's pretty legit. Like, you survive FIFTEEN loving DAYS with no food or water. You really are getting close to demigod territory at this point.

Not to mention generating oxygen by the SHEER POWER OF YOUR OWN AWESOMENESS :black101:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The correct answer is 40. The layout is really confusing because it's a circle (well, octagon) but you're supposed to read it as three rows:

pre:
100   4   25
 90   3   30
 80   2   ??
So fill in the missing operators and:
pre:
100 / 4 = 25
 90 / 3 = 30
 80 / 2 = 40
I had to give this one a bit of thought too, but mostly just because the way it's written is deliberately confusing.

After several unsuccessful attempts to open this lock, you abandon the door and leave the chamber. You are fearful of what may happen if you stay here any longer and so you retrace your steps to the place where you first emerged from the collapsed passage. You pause here for a few minutes to catch your breath; then you continue along the tunnel until, once more, you find yourself standing at the edge of the chasm. You scan this vast and dismal fissure, hoping to find a way to escape from this grim subterranean prison.

Curing: +1 EP (19/37).

After several minutes you notice a ledge which juts out from the chasm wall. It is located fifty feet or so directly above the place where you are currently standing. Close to this ledge you see a dark shadow. It marks the entrance to another tunnel, one that hopefully may lead all the way to the surface.

With renewed optimism, you recite the words of the Brotherhood Spell Levitation and at once you feel gravity losing its grasp. Assisted by this magic, you climb the rough chasm wall with ease and quickly reach the ledge above. Here you cancel the spell before hurrying into the new tunnel in search of a clear route to the surface.

Curing: +1 EP (20/37).

Your hopes of finding a clear route out of here are soon dashed when you arrive at a ruined staircase. It leads to a landing where you are confronted by the corpse of a Drakkarim guard, slumped beside a mound of rubble which is blocking the stairs to the level above. A quick examination of the dead body reveals that both arms are broken. Injured and trapped here by the falling rocks, it appears that this guard eventually died of thirst.

Curing: +1 EP (21/37).
Shall we search the body or just get straight on with clearing the staircase and start digging?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Search the body. There may be LOOT!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I maintain 35 is a perfectly sensible answer if you're reading the panels downwards, not across.

As compensation for this unfairness, let's grab some loot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

I maintain 35 is a perfectly sensible answer if you're reading the panels downwards, not across.

It's kind of like those things you see on Facebook where they'll write "18 / 3 * 2" to get people to argue over whether it's 12 or 3 because you could read it as "(18 / 3) * 2" or "18 / (3 * 2)".

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Activate Kai-Grandmaster looting ability.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

It's kind of like those things you see on Facebook where they'll write "18 / 3 * 2" to get people to argue over whether it's 12 or 3 because you could read it as "(18 / 3) * 2" or "18 / (3 * 2)".

Those are just trying to get people to respond, period. They're used to compile contact lists. Never, ever post a comment to them.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

He is holding a Bor musket, and when you fail to obey his command to halt, he levels his primitive gun at you and pulls the trigger.
Oh hey! Lone Wolf finally learned what those things were called! :D

Also, why is it that we cast the Brotherhood spell "Lightning Hand" using Kai Alchemy?

quote:

"Watch, Banedon, as I use my powers of Kai Alchemy to shoot lightning at these bandits!"
"Uh, I taught you that. The Brotherhood of the Crystal Star invented that spell."
"Nonsense Banedon! Everyone knows you wizards are a bunch of dress-wearing effetes, you could never do something so cool."
"But we-"
"Kai Alchemy, Banedon. Because we Kai are the best."

Also, search the body.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

ALWAYS loot the bodies!

(Also known as the D&D school of thinking).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You empty the dead Drakkar’s pockets and pouches, and discover the following items:
  • Dagger
  • Sword
  • Bottle (empty)
  • Bow
  • 2 Arrows
  • Ball of String
  • 40 Kika (equivalent to 4 Gold Crowns)
You are about to abandon the body when suddenly you notice something gleaming in the top of its left boot. It is a rod of silver, plain and unmarked, and little more than four inches in length. If you wish to keep this Silver Rod, mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item which you carry in your pocket.

Satisfied that you have overlooked nothing of worth, you turn your attention to clearing the rockfall which is blocking your escape from this landing.

Curing: +1 EP (22/37).

With stoic determination you begin the laborious task of clearing away the rock and rubble which fills this stairwell. You are fearful that it may take you several days to reach the next level, and so it comes as a welcome surprise when, after just a few minutes work, you see a gap appearing at the top of the mound. A gust of cold, wintry air wafts through this breach, rekindling your hopes of reaching the surface. Revived by the cold clean air, you attack the rubble with renewed vigour. But then your hopes are shaken when you hear a sinister sound; behind you, something is climbing the stairs to the landing.

Curing: +1 EP (23/37).

You pause to incant the words of the Brotherhood Spell Strength and within seconds you feel the fatigue disappear from your aching muscles. A vibrant sense of power and well-being infuses your whole body, enabling you to attack the rockfall with increased effect. Soon you have removed enough debris to enable you to squeeze through the gap to a clear section of the stairwell beyond. Once here, you block the opening behind you, and then race up the steps to the level above.

Curing: +1 EP (24/37).

Quickly you climb the stairs, spurred on by the wintry chill which grows steadily colder as you ascend. You count one hundred and fifty steps before you arrive at a chamber which is heaped with rubble. Its only door is blocked by debris and huge slabs of marble, making an immediate exit impossible. But it is not the door which commands your attention; it is a narrow circular shaft which is set into the middle of the ceiling. It is the source of the cold, wintry draught.

Expectantly, you step closer and investigate this shaft. For the most part it is dark, but you can see glimmers of grey daylight high above, and you can hear the whistling of the wind. But you can also hear another sound, one that is quite unexpected. It is a buzzing, insectile noise. You focus upon the darkness and suddenly you see that the noises come from nests of winged insects which are fixed to the inside of the shaft.

Curing: +1 EP (25/37).

You stand directly below the shaft and focus your Grand Pathsmanship on the basket-sized nests that are fixed along its walls. The incessant buzzing grows steadily louder; then several lines of large wasp-like insects emerge from the nests and escape towards the sky at the top of the shaft, driven away by your mental command.

When you feel sure that the nests are empty, you reach up and take a grip of the rough brick which lines the shaft. It offers good purchase for your fingers and toes, enabling you to climb past the nests and reach the top of the shaft in a matter of minutes.

Curing: +1 EP (26/37).

From the top of the shaft you look out across the sprawling ruins of Antah. You have emerged upon the flat roof of a mouldering stone crypt situated a few hundred yards from the tower by which you first entered the subterranean temple. A chill wind howls in the surrounding trees and overhead the darkening winter sky warns that night is fast approaching.

The ruins are completely deserted. The undisturbed blanket of snow which lies thick upon the ground, hiding all tracks, sorely reminds you that fifteen precious days have elapsed since your internment. You think of Captain Prarg and wonder if he is still alive, and an empty feeling gnaws at your stomach when you pause to consider the fate which may have befallen him and his Lencian countrymen now that Magnaarn is in possession of the Doomstone. You are fearful, but you are not entirely without hope. Magnaarn believes you to be dead; it is a belief that you could use to your advantage. After all, by his own admission, did he not say that you were the only threat to his victory?

Carefully you descend from the roof of the crypt and make your way through the forest to where, two weeks earlier, Magnaarn’s Tukodak guards were encamped. In this clearing there are no visible remains of their campsite, but diligently you sift through the ankle-deep snow, looking for clues to where they may have gone.

Curing: +1 EP (27/37).

Aided by your Grand Pathsmanship, you uncover some tracks frozen beneath the snow. They were made by horses and wagons and are a little over a week old. There are far more than you expected to find here, and you can tell at once that they were not all made by Magnaarn’s entourage. Before he left this site and headed west, he was joined by several hundred reinforcements.

During your search you also discover some scraps of food which you eat immediately: restore 3 ENDURANCE points. Having satisfied your curiosity, and your rumbling stomach, you decide to leave the campsite and follow the tracks westward.

Endurance: 30/37.
Curing: +1 EP (31/37).

Having decided to follow Magnaarn’s tracks, you are now faced with the unwelcome prospect of a tiring foot-slog through the Tozaz Forest, unless, of course, you can find some other means of speeding your journey. Using your Animal Mastery, you scan the surrounding woodland and send out a silent call for help. A few minutes pass, and then a wild dog appears. He is soon joined by a handful of other creatures: a young grey-skinned boar, two feral snow-cats, and an ape-like Rhudun. Unfortunately, none are large or sturdy enough to carry you any great distance.

Then, from out of the snow-laden undergrowth, bursts forth a wild stag. It is a magnificent animal, as large and as strong as any stallion. Subdued by your commands, it approaches and tilts its antlered head to allow you to climb upon its back. Obediently it responds as you steer it through the forest, heading westwards in the wake of Magnaarn’s troops.

Shortly after dusk you come to the banks of the River Shug, close by a small settlement of log huts which are grouped around a derelict ferry post. You dismount, and with a slap to its rump, you send the stag trotting back to its forest home. You watch him disappear towards the distant tree-line; then you turn back to the river and approach the huts on foot.

Curing: +1 EP (32/37).

The tracks end at a wooden jetty which juts precariously into the deep, fast-flowing waters of the River Shug. Carefully you examine the ground around this landing area, and aided by your exceptional tracking skills, you make two important discoveries. You deduce that Magnaarn and his troops boarded a barge here and headed downstream towards Darke. Also, you discover that this area was used as a mustering place for a second, far larger unit of troops. Doomwolf droppings and a Giak tooth hint at the identity of these troops, but your suspicions are confirmed when you find a bronze belt buckle which is engraved with the symbol of a fortress and a full moon. It is the symbol of the old Darklord city-fortress of Kagorst. It confirms your fears that Magnaarn has at last persuaded Kagorst to join his cause.

You are tired after your long trek. Rather than attempt to go any further, you decide instead to rest here in one of the empty cabins overnight and continue your journey at dawn.

Curing: +1 EP (33/37).

You awake at first light and make a search of all the cabins, but they have either been despoiled by Giaks or stripped bare and you discover nothing of practical use. However, you do uncover enough scraps of food, preserved by the cold, to make quite a decent breakfast: restore 3 ENDURANCE points.

After your meal, you gather together your equipment and set off along the river bank, heading west. The surrounding landscape is a harsh black and white desolation, devoid of all colour. The bleakness is deepened by the constant moaning wind and the occasional cawing of distant carrion crows. Five miles downstream you happen upon a hut at the edge of the river. You are expecting it to be empty, like the others at the ferry stage, so it comes as a welcome surprise to find it contains a rowboat and a pair of oars, both in good condition. Heartened by your discovery, you launch the boat into the water and begin your voyage towards Darke.

Endurance: 36/37.
Curing: +1 EP (37/37).
We roll: 9.

The journey downstream is swift and easy. The icy river cuts a direct path across the frozen plain before it wends its way through an expanse of low, rolling hills, blackened and scarred by war. Ruined hovels smoulder on the horizon and scores of snow-covered corpses, human and otherwise, lie where they died in a running battle that has swept like wildfire across this land.

Shortly after midday, you see something in the distance that sets your nerves on edge. It is a group of figures, huddled together on the river bank. You magnify your vision and identify them to be Drakkarim, possibly deserters from Magnaarn’s army, who are attempting to catch fish from the river.
  1. What loot should we keep?
  2. Should we hide in the bottom of the boat or row as hard as we can to pass them by quickly?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We might not get to make many decisions, but it's pretty cool seeing Lone Wolf casually use his magic powers all over the place.

Take silver rod, ball of string, and empty bottle because why not, we have the space.

Hide in the bottom of the boat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take silver rod, ball of string, and empty bottle because why not, we have the space.

Row quickly.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Take the silver rod and hide.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

So we are fighting the evil Walt Disney company.Careful their lawyers are powerful.
Take the silver rod and ROW ROW YOUR BOAT QUICKLY DOWN THE STREAM.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Take the silver rod

Toplowtech posted:

ROW ROW YOUR BOAT QUICKLY DOWN THE STREAM.

The current, and your powerful oar-strokes, propel you swiftly towards the Drakkarim renegades. You are fifty yards distant when the unexpected sight of your boat galvanizes them into action. They drop their makeshift fishing lines and take up their bows in readiness to fire the moment you are opposite their position. A growl from their pot-bellied leader passes for an order to fire, and suddenly you find yourself speeding through a cloud of deadly arrows.

Curing: +1 EP (22/37).
Shall we return fire or keep rowing?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Keep rowing. I doubt we have enough arrows to get them all.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Return Fire! I don’t think we’ve shot from a moving boat before.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We have a boat and wish to use it.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Maugrim posted:

Hide in the bottom of the boat.

This.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

You missed an update. Don't blame you, it was about a tenth of the length of most of this book's updates.

Row on!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You increase your stroke until you are rowing as fast as you can; then you hear the leader shout a command and suddenly the rain of arrows ceases. You pray that you are either out of range, or the enemy are out of arrows, but when you glance at the shore you see that the leader has you fixed in his sights. The only reason he has ordered his troops to stop firing is because he wants you all to himself.

The fat Drakkar lets loose his bowstring and his steel-tipped shaft comes whistling towards your head with chilling accuracy.

Curing: +1 EP (23/37).

You fix your eyes on the speeding arrow and incant the words of the Brotherhood Spell Halt Missile. For a few seconds the shaft freezes in mid-air; then it resumes flight and passes harmlessly across the rear of the boat. You hear gasps of astonishment from the Drakkarim, and more than one utters the word ‘Ziran’—the Giak for ‘Wizard’. As you disappear rapidly downstream, you see the renegades scrambling up the muddy bank in a desperate attempt to get away, having convinced themselves that you are a powerful sorcerer!

Your voyage continues without further interruption until, later in the afternoon, you catch sight of a town on the horizon. You check your map and discover it to be Konozod, a fortified Drakkarim stronghold. As the river carries you closer, you magnify your vision and see that it is built upon the left bank of the Shug. A huge stone bridge spans the river, and beneath this you see that the waterway is blocked by a barrier of chained logs.

Curing: +1 EP (24/37).
Do we stay in the boat or land and proceed on foot?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Let’s take a nice walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
let's go with the thread title