Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
A few weeks ago I saw a rat snake chillin on the side of a boulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Also, can someone please tell me what plant this is?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ant sex update: there are like twice as many stupid drones in the same spot today, but there's a jumping spider on the scene, so I'm gonna just smoke weed and see how things play out

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've had way too much fun shooting ants off the wall today and they keep climbing back up the wall and forming back up into groups to be shot again. It's nature's shooting gallery

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Alpenglow posted:

Big beetle just hanging out on a nice obvious sign:

Alaus oculatus. Nice! :getin:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Buncha critters out on the bike trails this morning. A Red Tail that I expect bounced off a windshield, and a medium sized momma common snapping turtle.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Please don't pick up turtles by their tails. It can injure them.

Please DO help them get off roads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgd_B6iKPxU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not a critter, but I've got these trees that sprout white flowers all over them in the spring/summer. They can grow a good 50 feet tall, and during the ice storms this past winter, one of them got torn right out of the ground roots and all and fell smack dab into my former poolyard, where it still lays.

It's sprouting white flowers. It's still alive, even after falling down! I've never seen that before. I'm sure it probably won't survive much longer in that shape, but it's a really neat thing that is apparently possible if they come out with the roots intact.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

heres a really good yt channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQGoJ5zOZUU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Centipede!! Tiny centipede!! :peanut:
I'm pretty sure it's head is to the right. The poor thing kept getting freaked out by the bright light / flash from my phone.

That's your standard house brick for size.

(Central Arkansas)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What's this cute little fella? It's pretty good at strafing.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

anatomi posted:

What's this cute little fella? It's pretty good at strafing.

A hemipteran nymph, possibly some kind of leafhopper.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I saw a heron eat a mole alive including seeing the mole still struggling in its throat.

It was kinda gross.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The great blue herons around here seem to specialize in snagging Muscovy ducklings. They’ll stalk mama ducks, and wait for a duckling to get distracted. It’s kinda sad, and kinda amazing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I saw a heron eat a mole alive including seeing the mole still struggling in its throat.

It was kinda gross.

That segment with pelicans eating baby birds in a BBC nature documentary deeply upset me.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A couple weeks ago I saw a swan nesting near the river that runs by my work with a heron perched a few feet away from the nest. Watching. Waiting. A work colleague said that it looked like the heron was guarding the swan :3:

I didn't quite know how to break it to her...

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Recently saw footage of a magpie killing a baby rabbit. Not a surprise to me that they are capable of doing that, but christ is it brutal.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 5, 2018

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

A couple of years ago I saw a whole group of young magpies absolutely going in on another fledgling magpie, no idea what it did to piss em off but it must have been pretty serious

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hey, what that on the newspaper machine?

No, that.

It's an adorable tiny spider! :3:

Some kind of crab spider? I'm in Central Arkansas.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Flower crab spider Misumena vatia is your most likely candidate there, nice find! Looks like you caught it partway through a colour change maybe, if it was a few days later and it was fully yellow you might not have even spotted it :3:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I bought a new macro lens (ultra wide angle laowa 15mm) just in time for all the creatures to start stirring around here.

Widow skimmer

Wheel bug nymph

and some black vultures fixin' to drop the hottest album of 2018 after they finish eating an armadillo

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I have only ever seen "fully" bald black vultures. Is that one a juvenile that hasn't shed all of its fledgling feathers? It's an excellent photo also! I still need to upload my photos of a bunch of black vultures going to town on a possum.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Those photos are great.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks a lot!

Skutter posted:

I have only ever seen "fully" bald black vultures. Is that one a juvenile that hasn't shed all of its fledgling feathers? It's an excellent photo also! I still need to upload my photos of a bunch of black vultures going to town on a possum.

I think that's exactly what's going on with the feathers, it's definitely a younger bird given the lack of "wrinkles" and it also had a pretty bad attitude, of the 10 or so around there that one was the one hissing at me quite a bit. Stood out from the group for sure. Definitely upload those photos sometime! They're fascinating critters.

Here's a closer shot of the head

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I think that's exactly what's going on with the feathers, it's definitely a younger bird given the lack of "wrinkles" and it also had a pretty bad attitude, of the 10 or so around there that one was the one hissing at me quite a bit. Stood out from the group for sure. D

I think you're on to something. A few years ago, a man who spends much of his time banding birds told me that turkey vultures (the only species in Saskatchewan) are really chill when they're adults. He climbs up to a nest, finds a vulture, holds it in the usual gentle-but-firm way, and tags it. If there's a juvenile in the nest, it will freak the gently caress out and try to murder his face as soon as he reaches the nest, but the parents don't mind a bit.

Coming of Age for a vulture apparently means no longer giving any fucks at all.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A good life philosophy really.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Got to check a lifer off the list - I've seen what I was PRETTY sure were barn swallows flying around before, but never close or still enough for a positive ID. This is at my work and I've already let the people in charge of maintenance stuff know they're there & they're taking steps to make sure they're not bothered. They're like 15 feet up though so this is a pretty safe spot w/r/t cats, birds of prey, etc as well as people passing through.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's been raining a lot so I can only look out my window, but there's some cool guys outside my window

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Alpenglow posted:

Also saw this cool dude, who would not slow down for anything:

Is this an ant-mimic spider?

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Yes it is! I always figured they were some tropical-exclusive, not something that would climb on my car in Pennsylvania. I wouldn't pose at all like a nice calm Phiddipus jumper, so that was the only remotely decent pic I got.

More Pennsylvania critters from the few last weekends:

Lil Crab Spider

Chill stripey spider missing a leg

Ichneumon wasp with what must've been almost 6" of ovipositor :monocle:

This adorable little fuzzbum hanging out under a leaf

And a fairly friendly young Marmota monax!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those are some sick macros, what are you shooting with?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Slo-Tek posted:

Buncha critters out on the bike trails this morning. A Red Tail that I expect bounced off a windshield, and a medium sized momma common snapping turtle.

Red tail is probably a juvenile who is still figuring out how to fly. Proportions are all wonky and youngsters usually have bright yellow gapes like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

El Burbo posted:

It's been raining a lot so I can only look out my window, but there's some cool guys outside my window

Clearly jays, but I'm not quite placing them. The colors look a lot like a scrub jay, but the crest seems to indicate they aren't Aphelocoma.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Those are Blue Jays.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

the yeti posted:

Those are some sick macros, what are you shooting with?

Thanks! I ditched the standard giant Canon 100mm setup and roll with the Olympus 60mm now on an em-5ii. Just added the Olympus dual-flash which needs a bigger diffuser but so far is really helpful. It's soooo much more convenient to carry and set up.

Just saw my first firefly of the season! It seemed pretty wimpy- might have jumped the gun on molting a bit. Best of luck to it in the coming psychedelic love-fest. :heysexy:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I saw the first fireflies of the season here a few nights ago in the back yard :3: it's officially summer

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Those are Blue Jays.

Guess I'm not using to seeing blue jays with such gray heads. Also haven't lived in a place with blue jays in years - around here it's scrub jays and Steller's, and some gray jays up in the mountains.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think it's a lady.

Edit: Nope! Did some research. It's just a typical blue jay with a little color variance. Lots of pictures out there with them looking like that. Shrug!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 10, 2018

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Alpenglow posted:

Just saw my first firefly of the season!

Great photos! Can't wait to see these guys around here. They don't seem quite as plentiful as when I was a kid, but they still put on a good show.

Pearl Crescent waiting for sunrise.

Still getting used to this lens, the hardest part is the working distance. I'm getting the front glass element within about 2 or 2 1/2 inches of the critter for these. Using live view to focus is pretty much mandatory.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

drat those photos are nice