Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mantis42 posted:

Why does he still remember someone he had a 2 minute conversation with 200 years ago? I don't remember people I talked to last week. What a goon, I'm going to put him in a pillory and have one of those automatic paint guns shoot him in the butt, forever.

It was, admittedly, a very special day that might have stood out in his memory for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Life after people is also a book and I think was a book before the made the series. As someone who hadnt been to california back when i played F2 the first time the ”desert wasteland” felt fitting on the setting, especially given that F2 literally sends you to quest Because droughts are killing your village. Then again when you look back some of the encounter maps do have trees and forest in them outside the ”combat area” mainly because ”isometric woodlands” is about as horrible for trying to see anything as it sounds.

Now that I have seen california and the only thing my governmental tour guide showed me was National Training Center I stand by the view F2 gave me- california/Nevada is just sand and dust.

But yea they really should do a real postapocalypse with buildings literally hidden under huge forests where the desthclaws are shadows under the looming darkness of forest canopy, take STALKERs red forest and up it to eleven and in addition to radiation put old industrial areas that have long since decrepitated into pools of industrial toxins.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does Tale of Two Wastelands work properly yet?

Kinda feel like playing FO3 or NV again and suddenly thought why not both

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yes

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

It was, admittedly, a very special day that might have stood out in his memory for other reasons.

Okay, you got me there.

He's still getting paint rear end.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

History Comes Inside! posted:

Kinda feel like playing FO3 or NV again and suddenly thought why not both

ToTW makes Fallout 3 so much better you won't want to play it any other way again. I suggest you add something to increase combat difficulty and/or slow down leveling, or you'll end up stomping over everything in NV.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Does hitting "Abort" actually fire the weapon with this mod?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So, do synths get mindwiped/reset after infiltrating a community? I ask because of the Art encounter where we see a synth that's being held up after trying to murder the original; are the Synth personalities aware of the murder they've committed? Is every non-courser synth in the railroad a cold blooded murderer?

Going off the Art encounter I assume the process goes teleport replacement nearby -> replacement murders and disposes of original -> replacement continues original's routine. I'm not 100% on them getting reset after getting in position, because the mayor is aware of and actively aiding tge institute without the use of commands.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Neurolimal posted:

So, do synths get mindwiped/reset after infiltrating a community? I ask because of the Art encounter where we see a synth that's being held up after trying to murder the original; are the Synth personalities aware of the murder they've committed? Is every non-courser synth in the railroad a cold blooded murderer?

Going off the Art encounter I assume the process goes teleport replacement nearby -> replacement murders and disposes of original -> replacement continues original's routine. I'm not 100% on them getting reset after getting in position, because the mayor is aware of and actively aiding tge institute without the use of commands.

Do you really think anyone writing the Institute thought about that a second?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bethesda has no loving idea what the deal with Synths is.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think the idea is that a synth will always act like it doesn't know it was a synth as long as it's under institute control. The ones the railroad work with really don't know, because they've actually been wiped.

It's a idea that probably could've used some expansion, like having you (somehow) discover a synth and them acting horrified to get you to lower your guard, then attacking. It would help sell the paranoia a little better.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I legit forgot that the railroad wipes freed synths. That makes more sense and is less "...why?" when considering that, at best, every synth personality is "the original, except willing to murder an innocent person for programmed reasons".

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What do you guys think the next poorly received macguffin will be for fallout 5 for whatever

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm guessing they try to go back to the safe option of something water related.

Neurolimal posted:

I legit forgot that the railroad wipes freed synths. That makes more sense and is less "...why?" when considering that, at best, every synth personality is "the original, except willing to murder an innocent person for programmed reasons".

I'm sure I'm giving way more thought to this than Bethesda ever did, but my assumption was always that the original synth was programmed only to simulate the personality of the replaced person on the surface without having an actual personality of their own, and then just happen to develop a personality (or something close enough to one; it's a philosophical question in it's own right) by accident that attains consciousness spontaneously.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

buglord posted:

What do you guys think the next poorly received macguffin will be for fallout 5 for whatever

One of those bastards ran away with the last of the Handi-Snacks

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
But a lot of the Railroad synths still know they're synths? After escaping the Institute a synth has part of it's memories wiped by a 'fail safe' that somehow knows it has escaped so they forget how to get in and out. The rest of the mind wipe is optional but most synths apparently take it so they can forget and lead a 'normal' life.

What's supposed to happen is the Institute picks a candidate for replacement and abducts them so they can be interrogated about their life. That person is then killed (presumably) and the replacement sent in to take their place. The weird thing with Art is how the gently caress the original got free and didn't even know they were being replaced. Unless whoever was responsible just guessed at his personality and unleashed the copy for shits and giggles.

What I also found stupid was at the end of the Brotherhood ending mission you come across synth pre-teen Shawn that somehow realizes your his father and wants to tag along before the base is blown to hell. You can rebuff him but all your BoS buddies immediately ask you WTF!? and demand you take him along. Like, guys, we're here to blow up the base and kill all the synths before they kill us. Why the gently caress do you want me to rescue this one? You know it's a fake, right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Valtonen posted:

Do you really think anyone writing the Institute thought about that a second?

I thought the originals of the people that got subbed out with synths were used for the Institute's super mutant stock, at least until the super mutant program collapsed.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the railroad only mind wipes synths if they ask to, but its given as an option don't seem to want to deal with the trauma of their synth lives

you average runaway seems to mostly be the servant synths sent up to scav or work the institute doing menial/dangerous labor though there is one AWOL courser we meet (well 2 if you count the guy from fallout 3)

dont be mean to me posted:

I thought the originals of the people that got subbed out with synths were used for the Institute's super mutant stock, at least until the super mutant program collapsed.

correct

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 5, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

What I also found stupid was at the end of the Brotherhood ending mission you come across synth pre-teen Shawn that somehow realizes your his father and wants to tag along before the base is blown to hell. You can rebuff him but all your BoS buddies immediately ask you WTF!? and demand you take him along. Like, guys, we're here to blow up the base and kill all the synths before they kill us. Why the gently caress do you want me to rescue this one? You know it's a fake, right?

The scene is literally This kid says he's your son. Leave him! How could you do that! He's a synth. Those institute assholes were real monsters, making kids like that. The end. They thought it was a real person, you told them it wasn't, they moved on. No moral quandary on the brotherhood's part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Railroad is rather useless considering Acadia has been functioning for over a decade.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Azhais posted:

The scene is literally This kid says he's your son. Leave him! How could you do that! He's a synth. Those institute assholes were real monsters, making kids like that. The end. They thought it was a real person, you told them it wasn't, they moved on. No moral quandary on the brotherhood's part.

Do they actually believe you? I've seen the scene once and don't remember all the options all I remember is by the end of the conversation I had a new robo-son to start a super unhealthy family life with so the rest of the team didn't disown me. A side effect of always playing Space Jesus in RPGs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Do they actually believe you? I've seen the scene once and don't remember all the options all I remember is by the end of the conversation I had a new robo-son to start a super unhealthy family life with so the rest of the team didn't disown me. A side effect of always playing Space Jesus in RPGs.

Yeah, Ingram reacts with disgust that they'd make a child synth

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

the railroad only mind wipes synths if they ask to, but its given as an option don't seem to want to deal with the trauma of their synth lives

It seemed like a pretty heavily encouraged option to me. Synth Jesus certainly wasn't thrilled about it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Azhais posted:

Yeah, Ingram reacts with disgust that they'd make a child synth

Well that's one plot hole filled. Just 9999 more to go.

Part of me hopes 76 doesn't have a central story, they just dump you outside and go "well here you go, have fun rebuilding America in this wonderful new hell world." and let you piece things together from there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My bet's on Fallout: Borderlands. It would make sense with the weapon system of FO4.

If I wanted to take a more specific bet, I'd say that you start out in an empty desert with just a vault entrance, you build up a fortress from there (settlement mechanic!"), and take on procedurally generated quests and instanced locations.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 5, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Valtonen posted:

Life after people is also a book and I think was a book before the made the series. As someone who hadnt been to california back when i played F2 the first time the ”desert wasteland” felt fitting on the setting, especially given that F2 literally sends you to quest Because droughts are killing your village. Then again when you look back some of the encounter maps do have trees and forest in them outside the ”combat area” mainly because ”isometric woodlands” is about as horrible for trying to see anything as it sounds.

Now that I have seen california and the only thing my governmental tour guide showed me was National Training Center I stand by the view F2 gave me- california/Nevada is just sand and dust.

But yea they really should do a real postapocalypse with buildings literally hidden under huge forests where the desthclaws are shadows under the looming darkness of forest canopy, take STALKERs red forest and up it to eleven and in addition to radiation put old industrial areas that have long since decrepitated into pools of industrial toxins.

SoCal and Nevada are mostly scrubland deserts, yes. NorCal is mostly savannas inland, with forests on the coast. I agree that a properly done postapocalypse with a looming forest canopy would be fantastic - moreso if the various settler types actually built or refurbished buildings instead of just throwing together lovely shacks full of holes.

Neurolimal posted:

My bet's on Fallout: Borderlands. It would make sense with the weapon system of FO4.

If I wanted to take a more specific bet, I'd say that you start out in an empty desert with just a vault entrance, you build up a fortress from there (settlement mechanic!"), and take on procedurally generated quests and instanced locations.

This would be fine and even, possibly, a lot of fun. As long as it's not Gamebryo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well that's one plot hole filled. Just 9999 more to go.

Part of me hopes 76 doesn't have a central story, they just dump you outside and go "well here you go, have fun rebuilding America in this wonderful new hell world." and let you piece things together from there.

It's kind of bizarre that Bethesda games even have central stories, since they're built around you continuing to play after the "story" is over. Just have a whole game of side quests!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sinteres posted:

It seemed like a pretty heavily encouraged option to me. Synth Jesus certainly wasn't thrilled about it.

synth jesus is also kind of a huge poo poo head that is very untrustworthy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Berke Negri posted:

synth jesus is also kind of a huge poo poo head that is very untrustworthy

At least he's well written.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

only ever made it as far as the derrigable showing up... or maybe going to find some dude out in the glowing sea.

it's comforting to know that in the end, the player, the writers and even the npcs are all just soooo loving confused about what's going on. about what I expected.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Clearly Nick is the only person who can be described as Synth Jesus, as he's the synth who's out in the world saving people every day.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wait, Nick is a synth?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Don't tell anyone in Diamond City though, because they hate synths there :ssh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does the railroad kill all future synths by blowing up the institute?

Reveilled posted:

Clearly Nick is the only person who can be described as Synth Jesus, as he's the synth who's out in the world saving people every day.

He is also known for being an escaped synth. And the mayor of diamond city is a synth to take notes on diamond city.

Why do they let nick stay there telling everyone he escaped from the institute? Isn't there an entire plot point about capturing escaped synths?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 5, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Keeshhound posted:

I think the idea is that a synth will always act like it doesn't know it was a synth as long as it's under institute control. The ones the railroad work with really don't know, because they've actually been wiped.

It's a idea that probably could've used some expansion, like having you (somehow) discover a synth and them acting horrified to get you to lower your guard, then attacking. It would help sell the paranoia a little better.

That would have been an interesting angle to take, and I wish the game had done that, but it really doesn't line up with what we see in game.

The synth plot line is what happens when a bunch of people watch Blade Runner in a bar with the sound turned off and then they all try to write a sequel for it without talking to each other.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That would have been an interesting angle to take, and I wish the game had done that, but it really doesn't line up with what we see in game.

I think it lines up to an extent, but not completely. Certainly some synths know they're pretending to be human, Art and the Mayor are good examples, but people like Danse definitely don't know they're synths. It's not really clear which type is the more common one, at least in my memory of Fallout 4.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

BarronsArtGallery posted:

10 years? Dude, you're frozen an extra SIXTY years.

I totally forgot. I platinumed the game six months ago and I totally forgot.

I should probably stick to spite gardening and huffing wonderglue

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Reveilled posted:

I think it lines up to an extent, but not completely. Certainly some synths know they're pretending to be human, Art and the Mayor are good examples, but people like Danse definitely don't know they're synths. It's not really clear which type is the more common one, at least in my memory of Fallout 4.

Technically, all we know is that Danse says he didn't know he was a synth. :tinfoil:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Keeshhound posted:

Technically, all we know is that Danse says he didn't know he was a synth. :tinfoil:

He's willing to let you kill him over it, if he's really just acting then that man deserves an Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Plus, you know, Harkness.