Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Keeshhound posted:

What, do you have an infestation of pyromaniacs or something?

i have pretty hilariously bad luck with lightning literally striking twice and nuking a floor after nuking a ceiling, but there's a few considerations other than pyromaniacs - raiders and zzt both immediately come to mind. fire in rimworld is pretty much the poster child for 'it's not a big deal until suddenly it is.' losing a few pieces of furniture isn't that big of a deal, but losing an entire room or an entire building because the floor turned into an inferno is a real blow.

i'll accept wooden floors, especially early on, for being so easy to put down, but in the realm of 'every second counts' like i play, having something big go down because of fire is pretty much the ultimate insult. that was a lot of time and resources that literally just went up in smoke.

deffo agreed you should get your wall on before you stone floor anything but i'm not a fan of carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I've been playing with the fuse mod so long I forgot that was an issue for people without it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I found a really important mod to have: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1362659868&searchtext=

e: aha, prosthetic toes and fingers, at last! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1293881397&searchtext=

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 4, 2018

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Fire is a big deal when none of your pawns will fight fire, which is what I spawned with (2nd map/try) :downsgun: I had to roll back once because of fire but got some lucky rain and now I have a few fire fighters.

Also I wonder if there's friction between the DF developer and this team. I see it may have started as a thread on the DF forums but they have now sold a million copies and it borrows so heavily from it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think Toady really cares about anything that isn't math or code.

Rimworld doesn't come anywhere close to DF's level of detail anyway. How could it ever?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sten Freak posted:

Also I wonder if there's friction between the DF developer and this team. I see it may have started as a thread on the DF forums but they have now sold a million copies and it borrows so heavily from it.

Considering Toady has flat out refused money from publishers on multiple occasions I don't think he cares.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think Toady really cares about anything that isn't math or code.

Rimworld doesn't come anywhere close to DF's level of detail anyway. How could it ever?

Thank god

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Also, burned carpet is very useful in defenses since it's something like 50% speed to walk over, if you're not running a mod that lets you put down mud.

why

Hey remember the normandy landings when the germans had rolled carpet all over the beaches and then set fire to it, covering them in a thin layer of ash, which utterly crippled the assault? They had to crawl up to the charred remains of the gripper rod and shove a bangalore torpedo under the faint remnants of the cardboard tube to detonate it because there's no way anyone could get past such an obstacle under fire.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's just so tacky. No one wants to be seen dead crossing it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

why

Hey remember the normandy landings when the germans had rolled carpet all over the beaches and then set fire to it, covering them in a thin layer of ash, which utterly crippled the assault? They had to crawl up to the charred remains of the gripper rod and shove a bangalore torpedo under the faint remnants of the cardboard tube to detonate it because there's no way anyone could get past such an obstacle under fire.

I don't question it, I just know it works.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The one thing I really like about this game is the lack of achievements on Steam. Nothing for mods to break!

(You wouldn't believe how anal I get about, say, Paradox games and playing them without any mods that break the checksum, because I want them cheevos)

Finally starting to experiment with one or two, and my god, the Psychology mod is SO much better. I can't imagine not using this now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The rimworld basegame really is just rimworld + the first few pages of mods on steam all installed

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The rimworld basegame really is just rimworld + the first few pages of mods on steam all installed

Yeah, I kinda wanted to get a feel for the vanilla game before I delved into mods too much. I've got about 60 hours in now, and starting to dabble.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh sure, just dabbling. That's how it always starts. Just the tip of a mod here and there and before you know it you've got Cthulhu worshiping jedi riding on the back of a brachiosaur with their cybernetic body bitching about how everyone else is dressed the same as they fight a wave of Scrin invaders.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Oh sure, just dabbling. That's how it always starts. Just the tip of a mod here and there and before you know it you've got Cthulhu worshiping jedi riding on the back of a brachiosaur with their cybernetic body bitching about how everyone else is dressed the same as they fight a wave of Scrin invaders.

This absolutely describes my current game pretty accurately

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

That cultist mod is pretty high up my list, I won't lie.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wolfechu posted:

The one thing I really like about this game is the lack of achievements on Steam. Nothing for mods to break!

It's still in Early Access. Who knows what Tynan has up his sleeve for release?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Tynan better licence out rimworld 2 if he wont make it himself or I'm gonna be hella mad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't moved up to jedis or cults....but I did just install another 50 mods so I'm up to 130~ now. This is genuinely more addicting than modding Sims, which is saying something. And now...to actually play the game? Goodbye, freetime!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

McGiggins posted:

Tynan better licence out rimworld 2 if he wont make it himself or I'm gonna be hella mad.

Rimworld 2: 2.5d isometric with z levels but everything else is exactly the same. Here's a billion dollars, Mr. Sylvester.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there any way to turn off the particle effect on steam geysers? My game runs perfectly fine except when it plays the steam animation, at which point I drop to like 15 fps until the animation ends :shepface:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's just so tacky. No one wants to be seen dead crossing it.

You'd think that would make them run faster. Because I swear to god I will not die on a burnt rug.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't moved up to jedis or cults....but I did just install another 50 mods so I'm up to 130~ now. This is genuinely more addicting than modding Sims, which is saying something. And now...to actually play the game? Goodbye, freetime!

I mean, you are basically playing the sims but with guns.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So the lord of the rim mod cuts out so much research and mod research, including a lot of things that would go well with it like floormats and what not.

I think there is less than 20 total items to do. As a result, I cant see much long term viability for the mod because you hit peak forward progress within an hour of play. Theres not anything left to strive for.

An elf war team with great bows will quickly slaughter everything in their path though, its glorious.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YiAt4yt0sE

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, you are basically playing the sims but with guns.

And with better load times!! God Sims 2 and 3 were the slowest things I've ever played. And they'd get harder and harder to play as the novelty of the different mods wore off. This game, though.... this game looks like it has hooks out for me, and I'm hoping I can grok the defenses soon. I should be able to, with all the advice, but I can be phenomenally dumb sometimes, so we'll see!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

McGiggins posted:

So the lord of the rim mod cuts out so much research and mod research, including a lot of things that would go well with it like floormats and what not.

I think there is less than 20 total items to do. As a result, I cant see much long term viability for the mod because you hit peak forward progress within an hour of play. Theres not anything left to strive for.

An elf war team with great bows will quickly slaughter everything in their path though, its glorious.

A new Lord of the Rims Unlimited was just released that doesn't lock off research. And forget great bows,the rivendell-bow is basically a sniper rifle that fires like twice as fast.

Double headed dwarves axes are also murder weapons

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 5, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'll give it another go then.

Confirguation question: where is the data on the mod enabled/disable and load order stored? I've been playing on instanced machines recently that are savesless so they're a fresh image each boot.

I need to manually insert whatever file controls that each time or reorder it all and hope i get it right.

When loading a modded game and getting the load order warning, an option to relaunch the game with those mods enabled and ordered in that sequence would be very nifty and useful.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

And with better load times!! God Sims 2 and 3 were the slowest things I've ever played. And they'd get harder and harder to play as the novelty of the different mods wore off. This game, though.... this game looks like it has hooks out for me, and I'm hoping I can grok the defenses soon. I should be able to, with all the advice, but I can be phenomenally dumb sometimes, so we'll see!

a 2x wide hallway full of checkerboard deadfall traps (stone minimum or steel if you have a lot of steel) that ends with a single tile exit into like a 12x18 box with cover and your cannon fodder/riflepersons at one end (and lol burnt carpets to slow down progress of attackers) is enough to deal with some pretty ridiculous raids.

Also as a general thing, you should be making/aquiring armor vests for your guys ASAP, they are one of the single most important items in the game, same with helmets.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Warmachine posted:

You'd think that would make them run faster. Because I swear to god I will not die on a burnt rug.

They cringe with every step and that slows them down

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Piell posted:

A new Lord of the Rims Unlimited was just released that doesn't lock off research. And forget great bows,the rivendell-bow is basically a sniper rifle that fires like twice as fast.

Double headed dwarves axes are also murder weapons

So I just checked out the numbers

Sniper Rifle has a warmup of 4, cooldown of 2.33, range of 45, damage of 40.
Rivendell-bow has a warmup of 1.4, cooldown of 1.4, range of 46, damage of 28 (10 more than the bolt-action rifle, more damage than anything except the sniper rifle). It's more accurate than the sniper rifle at every range but long.

A steel dwarf-doubled bearded axe has 10.26 DPS, steel longsword is 6.82

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 5, 2018

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
This is the killbox I use but i haven't played long enough to know how to abuse the system as much as some of you. The green things are proximity sensors to turn them on when people set up for defense.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Why do you have the walls as all doors? Colonists can rest traps on a diagonal.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"Go hunt caribou," I order

The colonist does, and angers the entire herd

Who promptly down him, then another colonist, and the third flees into the warehouse we've got constructed, and the herd BREAKS DOWN THE DOOR AND TRAMPLES HIM

and now the only audio from the game is the sound the caribou make and they won't stop

:rip:

e: Oh GOD every time one of my colonists gets back up the entire herd re-converges to trample them HELP

e2: oh my god. a recruit popped in to join the colony but he's literally incapable of doctoring, and if I didn't have the "hates work instead of being incapable of doing it" he'd literally be unable to help my dying colonists.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 5, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Never autohunt large game. Just grab everyone who can fight, recruit them and manually murder what you need if you're hunting boars or larger. Alphabevers are usually slow enough that a healthy hunter should be able to kite them back to the rest of the colony if they all go berserk, but otherwise stick to birds and smaller when tagging things for solo hunters to try to kill.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Never autohunt large game.

sage advice

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm learning so much as I play - well, the good news is only one colonist died, so I'm back at status quo, kind of. And wiser!

also yes randy sent a raider for giggles and they nearly kidnapped my single healthy recruit so I had to drag an injured man out of bed to get a rifle and gun 'em down and rescue my dude

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

another satisfied customer!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Best way to hunt is wait till night then walk up to your prey with a minigun and braaaaap. Because each individual shot is quite weak it doesn't tend to blow off limbs and thus waste meat like a sniper rifle does. Grenades are also quite effective since ironically they don't blow limbs off much either. Or just go all post scarcity and hunt with a mortar battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

manual hunting is basically a requirement imo due to the hosed hunting algorithm and the particulars with how manhunting works. though the last time i said that half of the thread decided i was being a massive sperglord and dogpiled me so shrug