Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Not a peeve per se, but I really can't understand people wearing jackets when it's 5 billion degrees outside. I can understand it in spring/fall where the day starts out cool and gets warmer but in summer the air is baking as soon as the sun is out. I saw a dude waiting for the bus the other day who was wearing a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a black leather jacket :psypop:

even tho it's hot and humid as hell inside and out, i wear a thin hoodie to work because i don't want people commenting on my scars :( coworkers ask me 'how are you not dying in that' and i say 'oh, i am, trust me'

we are all very sweaty but i am especially sweaty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sociopastry posted:

Peeve; self-entitled old people.

Entitled old people who complain about kids/millenials who "act entitled."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I know a couple of people like that, and it makes me wonder what they are getting out of what they're watching. As you say, there's definitely shows you've watched to the point they're background music. But I'm definitely not interested in sharing something new that I like and think the other person will like because they'll miss half of it.

The worst is when I share a comedy I like and a joke I really appreciate lands and I think I'm sharing a laugh with a friend only to see they're in the middle of texting. Bonus points if they seem annoyed by what's on their phone. Bonus bonus points if they look up when you laugh and laugh weakly themselves.

Some people are not TV friends, I guess is the lesson for me. Or I have lovely boring taste.

Hello I an one of these people. I have extremely bad ADHD and can't focus on just watching the movie, so I gotta do something else during so I can focus.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I get kind of passive aggressive with that kind of thing, like if i want to show someone the best movie/show in the world and they take out their phone i'll just pause and wait for them to put it away. If you don't want to watch it, just say so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't care if someone's not paying attention to what they're watching - unless they keep asking me to explain it to them. Either watch the drat show or accept that you're not going to understand it properly!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My daughter (the oj chugger) does this thing where it seems like she's paying attention and then halfway through she starts going "Whose that woman? Why are they doing that? What's that?" But if you pause it to explain she gets snippy and tells you "I don't need a loving novel just tell me *blank*!"
In other words I pray for any future partner.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Desktop programs that don't save login info, nor have the option to save password.

Gee sure, I'd love to copy over my 30 digit randomly generated password each time the pc restarts.

While this is only a few seconds a day, it doesn't change the fact that it's so frustrating when the majority of desktop programs will happily keep you logged in for months at a time without issue.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NASA principally use the metric system (apparently).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Dysgenesis posted:

NASA principally use the metric system (apparently).

Basically every scientific orginization/university uses it. I did know a professor that used weird units but that was just him being a dick to "prove a point". I don't know what the point was but nobody liked it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Youtube app for Android.

Since some update like a month ago, it just started playing videos all choppy and sometimes stuck at low resolution. I've cleared the cache, deleted and reinstalled the app, everything. It's just poo poo. And the worst part is that it worked just fine until whatever update made it become lovely for no reason.

And obviously Google doesn't give a double goddamn gently caress about feedback.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KozmoNaut posted:

The Youtube app for Android.

I've always found it simpler and more convenient to just use YouTube in the browser than bother with the app.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
My mum watches two, sometimes three different shows on telly at the same time. As in she keeps clicking back and forth between them. Often one show is way louder than the others. It drives me absolutely bonkers. Please, choose one show and watch it! I've asked her if she really gets either show when she does this. "I get the main bits, I don't care for the filler scenes".

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
People that won't shut up about how they haven't had enough coffee or how they'd be useless without coffee. Coffee can be great for a boost, but some of these people are already useless, coffee or no. I don't understand the coffee fetish that some people seem to have.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Leavemywife posted:

People that won't shut up about how they haven't had enough coffee or how they'd be useless without coffee. Coffee can be great for a boost, but some of these people are already useless, coffee or no. I don't understand the coffee fetish that some people seem to have.

Ah yeah, that's just addiction talking.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
People that dig at every last exploit and bullshit cheese they can in multiplayer games to desperately grab any advantage they can just ruin actually playing games online really just shouldn't even bother playing. That poo poo just ruins games for others. Of course they'll often call pretty much anybody else that plays a horrible noob that doesn't get the game and lord how good they are over everybody else.

Sorry buddy but you aren't relying on actual game skill you're abusing bugs, glitches, and things that weren't intended to be done. That doesn't make you good that makes you a poo poo head who is insufferable to play with.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When my buddies and I were into Bad Company 2, we got the Vietnam expansion when it came out. The PPSH was a sub machine gun and I primarily used those. I was racking up kills left and right, my k/d ratio had never been better, and I thought I'd dramatically improved.

As it turned out, that gun was basically broken; if I remember right, it could spit out two killing bullets faster than a shotgun could at point blank range, had stupid good range, had a large magazine; it was broken, and responsible for my improvement.

I quit using it because it was no fun realizing that the gun was what made me good, because I'd rather work on my skills with others, not rely on that to make me good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"You shouldn't drink those energy drinks, they'll kill you" yeah I know they aren't good for me but I'm not about to be judged for my unhealthy habits from a coworker who is on her fourth smoke break in six hours. Glass houses and all that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Red Bull is my spirit animal.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"Oh I'm so lonely I miss you!"

Bitch, we live in a world where we have text, email, loving Discord and a million other chat apps. If you had the WANT to talk to me, there's nothing holding you back but your own refusal to hit the send button.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People that dig at every last exploit and bullshit cheese they can in multiplayer games to desperately grab any advantage they can just ruin actually playing games online really just shouldn't even bother playing. That poo poo just ruins games for others. Of course they'll often call pretty much anybody else that plays a horrible noob that doesn't get the game and lord how good they are over everybody else.

Sorry buddy but you aren't relying on actual game skill you're abusing bugs, glitches, and things that weren't intended to be done. That doesn't make you good that makes you a poo poo head who is insufferable to play with.

If it's in the game, it's in the game. Don't go making arbitrary rules, the game is the ruleset.

People whining about the AWP in Counterstrike was the "no items, Fox only, Final Destination" of that era. Not to mention WW barbs or hammerdins in Diablo 2.

If it's bad enough, it will get patched. Otherwise just suck it up. Everyone faces the same bugs.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Jun 4, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

If it's in the game, it's in the game. Don't go making arbitrary rules, the game is the ruleset.

People whining about the AWP in Counterstrike was the "no items, Fox only, Final Destination" of that era. Not to mention WW barbs or hammerdins in Diablo 2.

If it's bad enough, it will get patched. Otherwise just suck it up. Everyone faces the same bugs.

The AWP was a deliberate part of the game. It isn't an exploit and there are disadvantages to using it. I'm not one to complain about that sort of thing because it's meant to be there and is in fact a normal part of the game, frustrating as it can be.

And no exploits don't always get patched out. I was actually thinking of Dawn of War when I typed that. Every now and again I think "boy I miss playing that game, it sure was fun" and run it again. Boy howdy is that a mistake. The game is a horrible mess of badly balanced bullshit, exploitable bugs, and other shenanigans like that. For a while there was a small community that had its own extra set of rules to make the game actually playable. If you exploited anything you were gone and the community wouldn't play with you. If you relied heavily on the unbalanced crap you were out and the community wouldn't play with you.

Abusing an exploit that was not intended to be in the game is literally cheating. If there were a glitch that let you, say, headshot a random person on the other team with the scout if you pointed your gun at a very exact direction you bet your rear end people would be exploiting that. Even if were very difficult to manually move your view there you bet your rear end people would be writing scripts to do it. It would absolutely wreck the game. You'd pretty much immediately lose players. The longer it existed the more you'd lose people. That's basically what ruined DoW; the exploits and unbalanced crap were so bad it became a contest to see who could abuse the exploits hardest.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's still a level playing field, which by definition is fair since everyone can do it. Learning to exploit a bug is no different from learning any other skill in a game. It's just a little bit more meta than straight, but it's still a skill learned and applied in the game. People also lock their frame rates in Quake 3 to 125 or 333 FPS in order to jump just a bit higher and gain a possible edge. Skiing in Tribes was a bug, and you can bet people whined about it when the first guy started doing it.

If you don't like it, there are hundreds and hundreds of other games to play instead.

People going "you can't do that, it's unfair!" is just like the weenies who go "you can't do that in metal!", when faced with bands like Igorrr. The only appropriate response is "watch me".

On the other hand, if a game has a bug/exploit where only people with very specific hardware combinations gain an advantage over everyone else, yes that is absolutely unfair. Same as writing scripts and using external applications to exploit bugs. That is no-go. But if it's in the game itself, it's in the game. For better or worse.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Jun 4, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

It's still a level playing field, which by definition is fair since everyone can do it. Learning to exploit a bug is no different from learning any other skill in a game. It's just a little bit more meta than straight, but it's still a skill learned and applied in the game. People also lock their frame rates in Quake 3 to 125 or 333 FPS in order to jump just a bit higher and gain a possible edge. Skiing in Tribes was a bug, and you can bet people whined about it when the first guy started doing it.

If you don't like it, there are hundreds and hundreds of other games to play instead.

People going "you can't do that, it's unfair!" is just like the weenies who go "you can't do that in metal!", when faced with bands like Igorrr. The only appropriate response is "watch me".

On the other hand, if a game has a bug/exploit where only people with very specific hardware combinations gain an advantage over everyone else, yes that is absolutely unfair. Same as writing scripts and using external applications to exploit bugs. That is no-go. But if it's in the game itself, it's in the game. For better or worse.

No, that isn't the appropriate response. Not for the worst of it. The reason I say that is because it drives people out of the game for exactly the reasons you say. People get frustrated or bored and leave. One of the problems with DoW is that some of the units in the game just plain never get built because the balance is so terrible. Meanwhile some are just so incredibly good they get spammed heavily. The big irony of people going "lol, watch me scrub" is that they're ultimately destroying the game by doing it. Same with the exploits; the worst ones actually got patched out but a few are still there. People can take the "lol watch me" response if they like but it drives off everybody else.

Some of the exploits are hard to pull off. The other side of it is that exploits aren't readily obvious on the surface and new players facing them are going to go "wait, what the gently caress?" Maybe they can find information on the internet but it's more likely they'll just leave and play some other game. Though in some cases there isn't another game. One of the reasons DoW has held on at all is because it's still pretty unique. DoW 2 had utterly garbage multiplayer and I think a total of six people even bought DoW 3. So people still want to play DoW but there's just too much of a likelihood that you'll end up in a game that's totally unwinnable because somebody against you is being a poo poo. That isn't fun at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

it's more likely they'll just leave and play some other game. Though in some cases there isn't another game.

There is always another game.

Or you know, something other than video games. Branch out a little.

When motorcycling stopped being fun for me, for various reasons including speeding tickets, no accessible place to do maintenance and my bike being vandalized and stolen, I found other stuff to do. Your life doesn't revolve around a singular hobby.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jun 4, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife is very good at many adult human skills, but for years and years now I've tried to repeatedly remind her to move the dish she's serving out of closer to what she's serving onto, as opposed to shakily moving a dripping spoon or globby knife across several feet of clear table.

She will--no poo poo--reach out a knife, scoop jam from the center of the table, and then try to maneuver it back over no man's land like an overloaded cargo plane. If any or all of it drops on the table, she sighs or swears.

It's just such a weird blind spot that I'm always taken aback by a repeat of the performance, like surely this can't be happening still? At some point, obvious pragmatism has to take root, right? But I watch that wobbly serving spoon shedding peas port and starboard, and consider that this may just be a forever thing and I'll just try again with my daughter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

There is always another game.

Or you know, something other than video games. Branch out a little.

When motorcycling stopped being fun for me, for various reasons including speeding tickets, no accessible place to do maintenance and my bike being vandalized and stolen, I found other stuff to do. Your life doesn't revolve around a singular hobby.

No it doesn't but drat it dawn of war was crazy fun and got ruined. As games have gotten more popular it feels like things have just gotten continually worse. I've been doing more single player stuff but well...The games industry has been having issues.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I really hate pandora. It's a trash service where the extent of its "variety" is the same 20 songs on a loop in the same order, but more importantly, it makes it an enormous pain in the rear end to cancel your vip service if you don't live in the US. I shouldn't have to find a free VPN that actually works to cancel my service. I have one on my kindle fire but when you log into your account on the browser it "helpfully" just launches the app. You cannot access your account details no matter what you do.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Leavemywife posted:

I have a coworker who drums on his desk & fidgets all day, and asks people if they want coffee every afternoon, and is basically the real life version of that coffee-fueled Pat Kilbane character on MadTV that had googly eyes. He told me that he had untreated ADD. I'm not sure why he drinks at least five cups of coffee a day on top of that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have a coworker who drums on his desk & fidgets all day, and asks people if they want coffee every afternoon, and is basically the real life version of that coffee-fueled Pat Kilbane character on MadTV that had googly eyes. He told me that he had untreated ADD. I'm not sure why he drinks at least five cups of coffee a day on top of that.

Caffeine mellows ADD apparently. It makes no drat sense. So does nicotine apparently which also makes your body metabolize caffeine more quickly. I read somewhere that that's why people with heavy duty ADD or ADHD tend to chug coffee and smoke.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also cigarettes and coffee rule

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cigs stink. Coffee smells pleasant.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Caffeine mellows ADD apparently. It makes no drat sense. So does nicotine apparently which also makes your body metabolize caffeine more quickly. I read somewhere that that's why people with heavy duty ADD or ADHD tend to chug coffee and smoke.

So you're saying he'd be even WORSE if he didn't funnel coffee directly into his veins? Well, he should drink more then. He does smoke too. He's one of the most annoying coworkers I've ever had. Good guy though.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ADD is caused by your brain not having the energy to focus. Stimulants help you focus. Adderall is just a delayed release amphetamine.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've had mild ADHD all my life and used to chug coffee like a madman, no idea why it helped but it almost counteracted the effects ADHD had. I've cut way, way back but it still definitely helps on days I feel like I can't focus. I don't smoke though, seen too many family members get ruined by that poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh my god.

I feel so much calmer after I drink a Red Bull, now I know why

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

At least once a day a car goes down my street loudly projecting the sound of a ringing phone. What the hell is that?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

At least once a day a car goes down my street loudly projecting the sound of a ringing phone. What the hell is that?

That would be their phone interfacing with the Bluetooth in their stereo for a handsfree call. Yes, they're loud and people outside can hear it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

That would be their phone interfacing with the Bluetooth in their stereo for a handsfree call. Yes, they're loud and people outside can hear it.

Years ago, I used to walk to work (different job, different state) and just as I would arrive every morning I'd hear a mobile phone ringing, and I could not for the life of me figure out whose it was or where it was coming from.

It turned out to be a bird (not sure what kind, but the sort that mimics sounds) that someone kept out on their porch in the mornings across from where I worked. It also sometimes made road construction noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

docbeard posted:

Years ago, I used to walk to work (different job, different state) and just as I would arrive every morning I'd hear a mobile phone ringing, and I could not for the life of me figure out whose it was or where it was coming from.

It turned out to be a bird (not sure what kind, but the sort that mimics sounds) that someone kept out on their porch in the mornings across from where I worked. It also sometimes made road construction noises.

https://youtu.be/XjAcyTXRunY