Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bwuuuh ok i guess top level moths can fail at destroying evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

lets hang out posted:

As I understand it there is no such thing as a sure thing in this game, everything can randomly do something else even if the chance is very, very small.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pirate Radar posted:

As I understand it there is no such thing as a sure thing in this game, everything can randomly do something else even if the chance is very, very small.

I've never had a 10+ expedition check fail and I had to run a lot of expeditions in my win. That seems rock solid at the very least.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

lets hang out posted:

Did they actually fail, or did the evidence get pulled out from the task by an on-going investigation? I actually lost one of my runs from that.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
What are marks an how do you get them? In one game I got all the way to the Peacock Door without noticing any.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Did they actually fail, or did the evidence get pulled out from the task by an on-going investigation? I actually lost one of my runs from that.

they fully "disappeared" and the evidence was still there when it was over :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They were too good at sneaking and snuck out of the physical world.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do I know which aspects are used for expeditions? I've only done two, one by in a throwaway game where everyone died and one where I tossed a couple of hirelings that found some guards and promptly murdered them, but I have no idea why one worked and the other didn't.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I know which aspects are used for expeditions? I've only done two, one by in a throwaway game where everyone died and one where I tossed a couple of hirelings that found some guards and promptly murdered them, but I have no idea why one worked and the other didn't.

Explanation: When you start the Expedition, after the first time it cycles, click on the Explore box again. Down below the slot to add more funds or followers, it’ll show you what you’ve added and what the challenges are. Click on each challenge and it will tell you which skills beat it. Watchers can be defeated with Edge, snuck past with Moth, and (I think) seduced(?) with Grail. 1-4 skill in that Lore gives you a low chance of success, 5 gives you a decent shot, and 10 gives you a high chance. Expeditions are always the same, so if you have to try again you’ll know what’s coming.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

So has anyone here actually tried to cast the The End Is Beautiful ritual? It seems like a game over so I'm rather scared of attempting it, but also insanely curious. This is the thing that has made me feel the most like a cultist, so good job Cultist Sim.

Is that the one who kills someone? It killed one disciple of mine, that's it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gato posted:

Finished my first game today, Lantern victory with a Knock cult. A bit frustrated that the end game boiled down to rolling the dice looking for the right artifacts to reach the arbitrary total for the last Rite, and constantly having to find new prisoners to maintain my ascension was a pain, but the feeling of mastery you get once you've accumulated enough instruments and lore and can pull out the endgame summons at will is fantastic. Third-level Knock cultists are amazing, they give you a constant stream of funds and items for zero risk, as well as handling all the locked doors even the summons can't manage. Plus the gigantic pile of lore I had by the end looked very pretty arranged by columns :)

Maintaining ascension once you get the third mark isn't all that hard actually. If you can't fulfil the requirement it'll ask for glimmersing or erudition instead. If you can't fulfil that, only THEN does it consume reason or passion.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ataxerxes posted:

What are marks an how do you get them? In one game I got all the way to the Peacock Door without noticing any.

A mark is your ascension path. You start wth a notion and when you lock that in it becomes a mark. Passing the stag door let's you obtain the third mark through the work verb.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

A mark is your ascension path. You start wth a notion and when you lock that in it becomes a mark. Passing the stag door let's you obtain the third mark through the work verb.

How do you lock it? Work verb, or do you need a rite?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Has anyone figured out how to get The Sun Before Me achievement yet? It looks like it deals with the door after the Peacock Door, but since you can only shove tools into that one I'm not sure what can be done. I can't decide if Alexis is the kind of troll that would put in an achievement that's impossible.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

How do you lock it? Work verb, or do you need a rite?

Dream it, then add a lore that's associated with your temptation.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

Dream it, then add a lore that's associated with your temptation.

Ahh, didn't think of doing that. Thanks!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, I've managed a enlightenment and power victory so far. Both of which mentioned they were a standard victory but I don't even know if the means to get fancy with that is even in the game at the moment. Last game was a bit rear end because the game was a total bastard about giving me moth treasure and that was my cult type. I had to promote two people to Skintwister with a maxed out moth lore and faded memories, but it was nice to finally have them because the utility of Edge really goes to pot in the seas around Port Noon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Made some good progress this morning after losing a run to the hunter last night. I've gotten a ton of cultists and a full set of disciples for each lore type, but I still haven't gotten through the stag door because I haven't rolled the correct lore yet. I'm just grinding out leve 3 and 4 expeditions with my raw prophet and random dudes. Sitting on a moth 10 lore, heh.

However I managed to do some real good art so I can start exalting my forge followers which is going to be a huge help going forward.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Made some good progress this morning after losing a run to the hunter last night. I've gotten a ton of cultists and a full set of disciples for each lore type, but I still haven't gotten through the stag door because I haven't rolled the correct lore yet. I'm just grinding out leve 3 and 4 expeditions with my raw prophet and random dudes. Sitting on a moth 10 lore, heh.

However I managed to do some real good art so I can start exalting my forge followers which is going to be a huge help going forward.

For the Stag Door - you need a level 6 lore, no higher or lower. I learned this one the hard way, it won't accept higher levels even if it's the correct aspect.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yah I know how to get through its just the last two lore I don't have at that level are winter and lantern and it's either of those two. I have several 8 and 10 lores sitting around plus a load of treasure. But until I roll that one specific lore I'm just stuck.

When I get home I'm going to just try and subvert another lore

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Yah I know how to get through its just the last two lore I don't have at that level are winter and lantern and it's either of those two. I have several 8 and 10 lores sitting around plus a load of treasure. But until I roll that one specific lore I'm just stuck.

When I get home I'm going to just try and subvert another lore

Do you have Winter/Lantern at higher than 6? If so, study them with a Reason to downgrade to 2x of the next tier down.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Has anyone figured out how to get The Sun Before Me achievement yet? It looks like it deals with the door after the Peacock Door, but since you can only shove tools into that one I'm not sure what can be done. I can't decide if Alexis is the kind of troll that would put in an achievement that's impossible.

Well, I kinda have an idea but I haven't tested it yet because it'd probably be grindy as all hell.

So if a standard victory entails getting your six marks and loading 36 of an appropriate aspect into a rite before hitting the button, what happens if you decide to go totally crazy about it? There are rites you can pull out of some end game tomes that have more then 3 slots, at least one I know of has 5, and i think you can put summoned entities in the sacrifice/assistant slot for that sweet 12 points in 2 different categories...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Caidin posted:

Okay, I've managed a enlightenment and power victory so far. Both of which mentioned they were a standard victory but I don't even know if the means to get fancy with that is even in the game at the moment. Last game was a bit rear end because the game was a total bastard about giving me moth treasure and that was my cult type. I had to promote two people to Skintwister with a maxed out moth lore and faded memories, but it was nice to finally have them because the utility of Edge really goes to pot in the seas around Port Noon.

You can use summons as trappings, that's how I got my skintwisters. Doesn't even destroy them. :byoscience:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Caidin posted:

Well, I kinda have an idea but I haven't tested it yet because it'd probably be grindy as all hell.

So if a standard victory entails getting your six marks and loading 36 of an appropriate aspect into a rite before hitting the button, what happens if you decide to go totally crazy about it? There are rites you can pull out of some end game tomes that have more then 3 slots, at least one I know of has 5, and i think you can put summoned entities in the sacrifice/assistant slot for that sweet 12 points in 2 different categories...

That was my idea as well. I'm working on getting my current run to a point where I can even begin testing this theory out, and I'll report back if I ever get to that point.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I uh somehow managed to permanently run out of reason. Its not on dimmed cooldown, its gone. Not completely sure how it happened maybe I stuck it into one of the candle slots and if so - it really sucks I don't think the game should do it, and it was my most successful run so far.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

lets hang out posted:

You can use summons as trappings, that's how I got my skintwisters. Doesn't even destroy them. :byoscience:

Fuuuuck :stonklol:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sekenr posted:

I uh somehow managed to permanently run out of reason. Its not on dimmed cooldown, its gone. Not completely sure how it happened maybe I stuck it into one of the candle slots and if so - it really sucks I don't think the game should do it, and it was my most successful run so far.

Have you been using it to recruit/promote cultists? If so, that consumes it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lets hang out posted:

I imagine the cultists joining hands and parying in the rite around the weird being you have summoned from beyond.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just as a quick thing, but I have just flooded the board with mystique and it's now causing the investigator to never be able to pick up any of the bad stuff I have done.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Is it possible to use summons to kidnap people? If so, how do you do it? Tried speaking with some about the cult and they didn't go for it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Is it possible to use summons to kidnap people? If so, how do you do it? Tried speaking with some about the cult and they didn't go for it.

I believe you can only use your cultists to kidnap/burgle/seduce/etc. You can send summoned creatures after your hunters and other annoyances, though. If there's anything they'll respond to in the Talk verb, (besides siccing them on hunters) I have yet to find it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kaethela posted:

Have you been using it to recruit/promote cultists? If so, that consumes it.

Yeah, that was it probably.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
So I lost 2 Skintwisters attempting to destroy evidence back-to-back. I have one left, and am guarding her very jealously, but am I correct that "that's all I'm gonna get?"

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I have some really basic questions about this game because it makes me feel rather dumb.

1) What's the best way to upgrade my lore? I'm a knock cult and I managed to get a level 6 knock lore, but aside from reading a pile of books and combining lower level lore I can't see a better way. My concern here is that this is going to be incredibly grindy to get increasingly higher lores.

2) How do I upgrade my cultists? I'm through the stag door but all my people are still believers because I have no idea what I'm doing.

3) How do I turn my word of enlightenment (my win condition card) into something that meshes with my knock cult? I know you can (spoilers) dream reason, health or passion to change things but which specific thing do I need do to make it mesh with knock?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

frest posted:

So I lost 2 Skintwisters attempting to destroy evidence back-to-back. I have one left, and am guarding her very jealously, but am I correct that "that's all I'm gonna get?"

Correct. All cultists (including pawns) are unique and cannot be replenished.

Vasler posted:

I have some really basic questions about this game because it makes me feel rather dumb.

1) What's the best way to upgrade my lore? I'm a knock cult and I managed to get a level 6 knock lore, but aside from reading a pile of books and combining lower level lore I can't see a better way. My concern here is that this is going to be incredibly grindy to get increasingly higher lores.

2) How do I upgrade my cultists? I'm through the stag door but all my people are still believers because I have no idea what I'm doing.

3) How do I turn my word of enlightenment (my win condition card) into something that meshes with my knock cult? I know you can (spoilers) dream reason, health or passion to change things but which specific thing do I need do to make it mesh with knock?

1) Read a pile of books and combine lore. Do expeditions once you have all disciples to get better books. Don't do expeditions with just believers, as it is really difficult to hit the skill required with them.

2) Same way you recruited acquaintances, but you need at least level 8 aspect. Tools, influences, ingredients, etc can all be shoved into the Trappings slot to help fill that gap.

3) You currently cannot. Lantern, Grail, and Forge are the only available desires/temptations for now.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Kaethela posted:

Correct. All cultists (including pawns) are unique and cannot be replenished.

1) Read a pile of books and combine lore. Do expeditions once you have all disciples to get better books. Don't do expeditions with just believers, as it is really difficult to hit the skill required with them.

2) Same way you recruited acquaintances, but you need at least level 8 aspect. Tools, influences, ingredients, etc can all be shoved into the Trappings slot to help fill that gap.

3) You currently cannot. Lantern, Grail, and Forge are the only available desires/temptations for now.

Okay, so then it *is* as grindy as I feared. I guess I need to buy and read more. You guys seem like you have your aspects way more upgraded than I do before you reach the stag door. Seems I've focused on the wrong priorities.

Now, it seems to me like I basically just need to read more as my aspect's level is what's preventing me from moving forward.

Can I still win the game as a kock cult with lantern, grail or forge as my temptations? I'm very unclear on how this works.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

It's me, the guy who exhausted the Book Shop, Auction House, and did like 15 expeditions looking for the book on how-to-read Aramaic before he moused over and realized Dr. Ibn taught it.

e: and GUESS WHAT EXPEDITION 16 REVEALED, a lovely book to sell! :negative:

frest fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 5, 2018

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vasler posted:

Okay, so then it *is* as grindy as I feared. I guess I need to buy and read more. You guys seem like you have your aspects way more upgraded than I do before you reach the stag door. Seems I've focused on the wrong priorities.

Now, it seems to me like I basically just need to read more as my aspect's level is what's preventing me from moving forward.

Can I still win the game as a kock cult with lantern, grail or forge as my temptations? I'm very unclear on how this works.

There is a bit of a grind, but it's not terrible, especially once you can get to the point where you're doing expeditions. Hit up the White Door a bunch for influences and histories lore, that should help push you forward. To be a bit clearer, as you progress through the higher-level expeditions, you'll get books which will give you higher and higher level lores, and there's a few books I've seen that just straight-up give you max level lores. You do not need to slowly grind up all your lore from the bottom up.

You can win the game with whatever aspect of cult you want. The only thing you're missing out on by not aligning your cult with your desire is the ability to use level 10 cultists in the final rite. Spoilers for the victory condition: to win, you need to perform a rite with your desire maxed out and at least 36 levels of your desire's aspect.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Kaethela posted:

The only thing you're missing out on by not aligning your cult with your desire is the ability to use level 10 cultists in the final rite.

Can you use the summons as assistants, and is there a level 10 Forge Aspect summon on par with Bloody Mary my murder Maid of Honor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Doesn't promoting cultists with knock work a little differently? I've heard that but I don't know what exactly the difference is.