Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm so far all the businesses in Yakuza 0 have a NO sign on the map so I guess they get unlocked later?

For the real estate minigame?

I have some bad news if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Bloodborne keeps scaring me away every time I get back into it lol

Last time I actually “figured it out” at least though

Maybe I’ll beat it this summer

It's tough to get into because it's spooky, hard and oppressive. There's a certain point for everyone where your brain suddenly understands that you are actually the most frightening thing in the world and your foes are simply meat into the grinder, because a hunter must hunt :black101:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I started with the cane and put all my points in skill. I think I defeated a few bosses by simply overpowering them.

Shy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 5, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Vicar just suffered. She would run in a corner to heal but I wouldn't let her.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Super Doctor K? Why have I never heard of this before?

YOU ARE ALREADY CURED.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shy posted:

I started with the cane and put all my points in skill. I think I defeated a few bosses by simply overpowering them.

Cane is great, it's just not as straight forward as the cleaver when you set out. I tried cane and didn't play again for ages, then I started again with the cleaver and found it a lot easier to get my head around the game since the cleaver has very obvious timing + serration versus cane in whip mode which is still serrated but less basic in the way it swings.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

It's tough to get into because it's spooky, hard and oppressive. There's a certain point for everyone where your brain suddenly understands that you are actually the most frightening thing in the world and your foes are simply meat into the grinder, because a hunter must hunt :black101:

This is such a good post.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS8lotbCag

Best $30 I ever spent.

Edit: Earlier I randomly bought an orange for no reason and now when I got in a fight with the real producer Kiryu stuffed the orange in the producer’s mouth and curb stomped him, spraying orange juice everywhere. This is the best.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 5, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

beep by grandpa posted:

(coincidentally that's where I found my wife, the Stake Driver :thunk: )

https://gfycat.com/ConstantCrispGoral

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: Earlier I randomly bought an orange for no reason and now when I got in a fight with the real producer Kiryu stuffed the orange in the producer’s mouth and curb stomped him, spraying orange juice everywhere. This is the best.

Wait until you see what happens if you have a carrot on you in Yakuza 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDkqJOjS3NQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why am I in a children’s playground teaching a dominatrix how to verbally abuse people

Edit: now the kids came over and asked what we’re doing

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 5, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza 0 and 5 are the best written games I've ever played. I've definitely played games with more exciting gameplay but the standard of dialogue and scenarios in Yakuza is leagues better than nearly everything else out there.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
To people who played or are playing Yakuza Kiwami, would you say that the two lategame major gun based bosses are some of the worst designed ones around? Like, even for PS2 era ones?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't know if there's a kingdom hearts thread so gonna mention it here.

I remember playing 1 and 2 on release way back when and a few friends have me interested in playing 3. I picked up the collections and went through 1 just fine (though god the story even in 1 is a nightmare). Playing the card game and like... I loving hate it? Like I'm very obviously missing something because this entire thing just plays like a absolute loving dumpster fire.

If I try to swing my blade at all, at any point I get like 9 enemies all hurling cards at me making sure I can't attack whatsoever. I'm dying to some insanely minor poo poo enemies because I just can't do jack poo poo and reloading my cards gets me totally hosed over.

Has anyone played this recently that can try to make sense of this because this poo poo is just mindbogglingly awful and I'm only in the second "world".
We do have a series thread here. Not sure how much advice will help if you're not having fun with the basic gameplay though, it can get pretty rough later on too.
If you do end up giving up, just look up the floor 11 to 13 cutscenes online, most of the stuff that happens within the actual worlds is just pointless retellings so only the latter voiced cutscenes end up being particularly relevant and they're like 20 minutes tops.

HGH fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 5, 2018

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I am truly sorry but I lied when I said before that I'll be playing Automata before Kiwami.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I’m not really feeling The Frozen Wilds right now unfortunately. It’s by no means bad. I love the setting. The characters are great. It’s intriguing. But the flow of the quests just isn’t sucking me in. I’m not sure why. The more I play the more I feel like I’m forcing myself to push through so I think I’m going to take a break for a while. The main game story was too good for me to frustrate myself over trying to like this dlc.

[New Video Game Slot Opened]

(this means I’m just going to play more Overwatch tbh)

JBP posted:

That’s a great point. I got part of the way but never felt like a true hunter. I psych myself out hard with these games.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 5, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

Wait until you see what happens if you have a carrot on you in Yakuza 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDkqJOjS3NQ

Is that who I think it is from 0?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm also going through the frozen wilds now. I just finished the storyline quest in it and god the bear enemies suck so much.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HGH posted:

To people who played or are playing Yakuza Kiwami, would you say that the two lategame major gun based bosses are some of the worst designed ones around? Like, even for PS2 era ones?

I remember that one rear end in a top hat on the roof with the dual-wielding pistols was a major pain in the dick in the PS2 game, but I haven't played Kiwami yet so idk if he's better or worse in that one.

Infinitum posted:

Is that who I think it is from 0?

Play Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza 5, and maybe you'll find out :ninja:

I think he's in, like... a single 2-minute flashback in 0? Maybe?

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 5, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's not the God Hand masseuse from China?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Why am I in a children’s playground teaching a dominatrix how to verbally abuse people

Edit: now the kids came over and asked what we’re doing
God I love that game.

Also, I fired up 0 again for the hell of it today and for some reason my endgame save isn’t there anymore, just an older one from chapter 7. I think it’s a sign. I know what I need to do.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Infinitum posted:

He's not the God Hand masseuse from China?

He is not

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Great wisdom from Kat

(I don't know if I'd continue with the game if it weren't for Kat)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kat is the best!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sefal posted:

I'm also going through the frozen wilds now. I just finished the storyline quest in it and god the bear enemies suck so much.

They are a big pain but there's One Two Weird Trick(s) to dealing with them:

-Shoot them in the rear end with shock
-Bring in other bots with corruption arrows

For the longest time I thought they were gorillas but bears make a lot more sense considering the setting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In that camp with the double Fireclaws, one of them is uncorrupted and you can override it. Watching two robobears slam each other across the snowy wilderness is a thing of beauty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I haven't unlocked Jupiter style yet, but somehow combat in GR2 feels worse than in GR1.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rinkles posted:

I haven't unlocked Jupiter style yet, but somehow combat in GR2 feels worse than in GR1.

Have you heard about a small indie called bloodborne? It has amazing combat, my friend!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are you using the thing where you pick up objects and throw them? It sucked in 1 but they dramatically improved it in 2 and now it's one of your best moves. I think the combat in 2 is way better now that there's more useful things you can do than just flying kick everything.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, I reckon I'm done with GoW. It's not a bad game at all but it is exceptionally dull. It's pretty much the same gameplay loop over and over.

I was just mainlining the story because the side stuff is tedious and I was midway through a fight when it suddenly dawned on me that I wasn't having fun in the slightest.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Unfortunately there's a grand total of one (1) fun boss fight in GR2 and it's over real quick. The Raven DLC adds a couple of decent fights thankfully.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hitman/status/1003667740857491456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Just saw this. I haven’t been into Hitman since Blood Money but I know a lot of you liked the new game.

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, I reckon I'm done with GoW. It's not a bad game at all but it is exceptionally dull. It's pretty much the same gameplay loop over and over.

I was just mainlining the story because the side stuff is tedious and I was midway through a fight when it suddenly dawned on me that I wasn't having fun in the slightest.

Don’t force it if you’re really not enjoying yourself but the story ramps up in an incredible way and the entire home stretch is really something special.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looks like the Vampyr reviews are coming out and it’s not looking so great overall. Complaints about the writing, which is a bit surprising, but also the combat, which is not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
E3 looks so bad.

A bunch of dreck until the final night where we get the PS presentation. Then the next morning is Nintendo.

Before that: poo poo poo poo and more poo poo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

Same, I just can’t get it to properly click.

I have the same issue with HZD. Can’t really articulate what it is. I think I just find the combat very flashy looking in both but kind of lacking in substance. It doesn’t really matter to me if the rest of it is all good, I find it hard to really care if the fighting doesn’t engage me.

But weirdly this didn’t happen with Nier Automata... Hmm. Dunno.

Edit: actually you know what the thing with Dad of War is that so many of the combat options are locked at the start and I hate that in games. Yeah so I’ll have a ton of fun poo poo to do after 15 hours but I’d rather have fun poo poo to do right out of the gate, thanks. HZD is probably the same but with gear, now that I think about it.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 5, 2018

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Can’t wait to see if Devolver even tries to meet last year’s show. That was amazing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hitman/status/1003667740857491456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Just saw this. I haven’t been into Hitman since Blood Money but I know a lot of you liked the new game.

Hitman 2016 is fantastic an a return to form, you should absolutely get it. Looks like this is a tease for season 2 or whatever they're going to call it.

Those load times though, I really hope they can do something to fix that....

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you using the thing where you pick up objects and throw them? It sucked in 1 but they dramatically improved it in 2 and now it's one of your best moves. I think the combat in 2 is way better now that there's more useful things you can do than just flying kick everything.

Throwing is more useful; I like that the field picks up soldiers (which is especially fun with the auto-stasis gem). But that's fairly boring. Actually getting into the thick of things quickly gets disorienting, the camera freaks out far too often (esp. when gravkicking ground enemies), and the controls never feel snappy and responsive enough.

Would've liked some more maneuverability options, like a quick 180 spin.

I get that lunar is supposed to be floaty but walking just feels unresponsive.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Part of the problem with the fighting in HZD is that it never feels dangerous, even when the enemies can one-shoot you. Even the T-Rex looks and 'feels' like it weighs five pounds, and your attacks look and sound so weak it's like you're using nerf arrows. Contrast that with Monster Hunter World, GoW and, yes, Bloodborne and HZD's combat just feels boring and unengaging.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Akuma posted:

Same, I just can’t get it to properly click.

I have the same issue with HZD. Can’t really articulate what it is. I think I just find the combat very flashy looking in both but kind of lacking in substance. It doesn’t really matter to me if the rest of it is all good, I find it hard to really care if the fighting doesn’t engage me.

But weirdly this didn’t happen with Nier Automata... Hmm. Dunno.

Edit: actually you know what the thing with Dad of War is that so many of the combat options are locked at the start and I hate that in games. Yeah so I’ll have a ton of fun poo poo to do after 15 hours but I’d rather have fun poo poo to do right out of the gate, thanks. HZD is probably the same but with gear, now that I think about it.

I definitely enjoyed Horizon more because it wasn't as "set piece"-y.

Literally every area you visit in GoW involves: a bit of Uncharted style ledge navigation, a puzzle that generally involves Atreus shooting something/throwing your axe at something/pushing a box, an arena that some pallette swapped enemies spawn in. Rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times per "dungeon" and then an Ancient or an Ogre appears and you have the exact same fight you had with them the very first time you encountered them. Back to the boat and on to the next map marker to do it all over.

Occasionally you'll get a slightly more interesting boss fight but it's mostly the aforementioned loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn is really superb and well-balanced but I've always played on the highest difficulty where it was available. I think on Hard/Normal the game lets you get away with plinking down arrows for too long so that you never really learn the interrelationships between how to set traps, use elemental effects, and bring along specialty weapons like the Ropecaster. Then when players reach the first couple machines where regular arrows aren't effective they don't know what to do because they've never had to bring a complimentary loadout. There was a bit of a learning curve when the game first came out but now I can start a new game on Ultra-Hard and no-scope watchers with the starter bow right from the outset, it feels good!