Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

As a player who loves role-playing smaller nations, I am super excited to see the level of detail here. I really appreciate their commitment to players like myself.

Sindai posted:

Imperator is 8192x4096.

And with this information, I can get started on my post-apoc North America total conversion mod...

Sort of half-kidding but kind of serious too. drat, that's exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

And with this information, I can get started on my post-apoc North America total conversion mod...

Before the After the End.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ExtraNoise posted:

As a player who loves role-playing smaller nations, I am super excited to see the level of detail here. I really appreciate their commitment to players like myself.

Post-Brexit UK - The UK government literally have a scenario dubbed Armageddon, and it's not even the one that has food stocks run out in Scotland and Cornwall within a couple of days, medicine and fuel within two weeks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

But how many provinces are there in Crete

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Rhodes is just one province? No sell.

Also they’ll release the game on March 15, 2019, calling it now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Sindai posted:

Imperator is 8192x4096.

:thunk:

Incidentally, anyone know suuuper high resolution topographic maps then? The largest I know of are these NASA ones but those "only" go up to 21600x10800 which apparently won't be enough if I'm gonna crop it down to East Asia.

also:

Johan posted:

While hopefully make an INSANE amount of dlc for this project, adding a new startdate is not gonna happen .

I think he mentioned somewhere else they're not planning on extending the timeline either, so I guess the dates are set.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ExtraNoise posted:

I already got a head start on modding Imperator ;D

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Screw Rome. Paradox should have done a Three Kingdoms game.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Groogy posted:

I already got a head start on modding Imperator ;D

The mods are coming from inside the house!

(Also: no fair!)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Koramei posted:

Incidentally, anyone know suuuper high resolution topographic maps then? The largest I know of are these NASA ones but those "only" go up to 21600x10800 which apparently won't be enough if I'm gonna crop it down to East Asia.

Make your own insanely high res one using something like Qgis and getting a couple of good topographic datasets. Terrain is actually the hardest since lots of height maps are raster-based, high res stuff will run you into tens of gigs of files!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Drone posted:

As longs as it's Romance of the Three Kingdoms rather than being strictly historical. And make Lu Bu immune to damage in the pursuit phase

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You should probably angle it the other way. There's no need for northern Siberia or Australia to be on the map.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

quote:

A city [...] may have a few buildings
Sicily has 23 cities

Oh boy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Yeah I'm slightly concerned about that but it's such an obvious poo poo UI / micromanagement hell probem waiting to happen that I'm hoping they will have a good solution.

They seem to be getting round to fixing Stellaris tiles which would be a fairly comparable level of scale.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Each building is made up of tiles. You can mix and match them for different adjacency bonuses. How is such a bonus calculated? Well each tile has a base property and associated stats, however you can further tinker it by opening that tile's sphere grid...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think the whole idea is they're building it from the ground up this time with that number of provinces in mind, so most of the management will be done via the states instead. Sicily is probably one of the single most important parts of the map from the perspective of the period so I'm pretty happy they're going all out with it.

Mantis42 posted:

You should probably angle it the other way. There's no need for northern Siberia or Australia to be on the map.

who says there's no need for Australia??

in the end I'm probably just gonna end up making it a square, but I would like to have Indonesia and Central Asia, both were at least vaguely connected to the East Asian world even this early on.

Koesj posted:

Make your own insanely high res one using something like Qgis and getting a couple of good topographic datasets. Terrain is actually the hardest since lots of height maps are raster-based, high res stuff will run you into tens of gigs of files!

Huh this looks complicated but I'll give it a go, thanks.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 4, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kaza42 posted:

As longs as it's Romance of the Three Kingdoms rather than being strictly historical. And make Lu Bu immune to damage in the pursuit phase

Seriously, they need to take a page from the RoTK games and make a game where you play as an RPG character in a big strategy world. It would be a good hybrid step between CKII and a real RPG.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

who says there's no need for Australia??

in the end I'm probably just gonna end up making it a square, but I would like to have Indonesia and Central Asia, both were at least vaguely connected to the East Asian world even this early on.
If you can find/make a tilted projection, you should be able to fit in Iran and most of the Arabian Peninsula, as well as all of India, without sacrificing Indonesia, Central Asia, or Japan. I mean, who wouldn't want to fill in the history of those places too. :v:

Koramei posted:

In my experience, you can't really use the full resolution of such a map in a Paradox game. Too much detail just means super jagged edges, so simply scaling up a map might work.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I figured you wouldn't want to include Australia since filling it in would be harder than China by a significant margin (seriously, how much do we know about the Aborigine cultures that far back?). But its your mod and if you can do something cool with it, why not?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I mean that image was just a joke, but a big part of my design for my last mod was that you should be able to start loving anywhere and still build yourself up to be a world-beating empire, and I think the mechanics in I:R will be even better for that kind of thing. The mod would be entirely about China and its immediate neighbors to start with but eventually touching on the other parts of eastern Eurasia that Paradox left out would be cool I think, and it's all loosely connected even this early.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you can find/make a tilted projection, you should be able to fit in Iran and most of the Arabian Peninsula, as well as all of India, without sacrificing Indonesia, Central Asia, or Japan. I mean, who wouldn't want to fill in the history of those places too. :v:

In my experience, you can't really use the full resolution of such a map in a Paradox game. Too much detail just means super jagged edges, so simply scaling up a map might work.

Laughs aside, I did make a crazy curved one last time which turned out to be a colossal pain in the rear end with every additional step I added to it, so this time I wanna go as simple as possible. That's a really good point about just upscaling one though, you're right that the detail is mostly gonna be unnecessary. I guess where it might be, you could just go in by hand too.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 4, 2018

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I figured you wouldn't want to include Australia since filling it in would be harder than China by a significant margin (seriously, how much do we know about the Aborigine cultures that far back?). But its your mod and if you can do something cool with it, why not?

I am developing a game right now where this is an issue. Attempting to find the "original" indigenous names for a location is often a challenge. When I'm not able to find a suitable name, I'm usually able to find an online dictionary for the language the people of that area used and throw together a couple of words to create a location name that sounds plausible based on local geography. It's called "Black Mesa" today because of basalt settlement? I'll look up "Black" and "Hill" and bingo-bango, I got a word to call that area.

I'm by no means suggesting a legit company (My friends and I are purely indie) go about doing it this way, but it could be a process modders use.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drone posted:

There is a very good 3 kingdoms CK2 mod that fills that gap.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I really want to know how forts are going to work, if it's just a straight port from EU4 I'm going to be sad, but with this many cities it's going to be difficult to avoid making every war turn into a stupid game of chasing enemy armies around.

Well it's more that you need that province density in some parts of the map in order to have tons of city states which are very emblematic of the period, and it would be weird for Greece to have like the same number of provinces as the rest of Europe combined just because of this. If they find a way to solve the problems of excessively fiddly UI and having to chase armies forever then more provinces isn't a bad thing.

Fabian strategy for the win!

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hands up, who enjoys building buildings in Paradox games? And no I don't mean the unique buildings or the ones that are sorta expensive and special. I mean the basic ones that you have to build AND upgrade in every province repeat ad nauseam. The ones you have to click through manually, because even though you give no thought whatsoever to them the AI can't figure out how to do it so they can't be automated in a satisfying manner.

Seriously, who likes that poo poo? And why does Paradox still thinks this is an integral and crucial part of grand strategy games and insist on including it in some form in every game? No I don't want to decide what to build in hundreds of cities in Imperator. I really, really don't. And if they force me to do that I will be greatly disappointed. If it has to be automated because it's not fun, then it doesn't deserve to be in a video game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I umm don’t care? It’s not a big deal. I certainly don’t get the weird hate.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i wouldn't mind buildings so much if there was a way to order the basic ones to be built in every state/province so i don't have to do a million clicks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i wouldn't mind buildings so much if there was a way to order the basic ones to be built in every state/province so i don't have to do a million clicks

They should move buildings to the state level in EU4.

Actually they should move all province features to the state level, and have provinces just be for movement like in HOI4.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Buildings could use a revamp anyhow, given how bad some of the benefits of them are vs the cost.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Kosher Water posted:

Congratulations, hopefully you haven't died in the wait.

it's like a christmas miracle but in june

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Having fun reading the I:R forums

quote:

It is moments like this where I wish Paradox would think for once before approving anything their marketing wings pushes out.

Names aren't trivial, they hold meaning and should be taken seriously, just like the rest of the game. As far as I'm concerned, Imperator: Rome is about Rome, Europa Universalis is about European dominance over the Earth, Victoria is about Victorian Britain and Crusader Kings is about Christian Europe. And every single time, the developers steer away from the name's purpose.

quote:

Both CK2 and EU4 have terrible levy recruitment systems, as well as how they justify war and how combat works. If Imperator wants itself to be taken seriously, then all those features will have to be completely redone and based off of historical systems instead of how it's currently represented. Right now, it's too gamey!

Recreate and simulate, don't simplify and mystify!

On homosexuality posted:

Unless for the sake of polital correcteness, what is the relevance of this discussion in the context of a grand strategy war title?

The game will also represent women's rights, alcoholism, domestic abuse, pedophilia, racism?

On what the Germanic gods should be called posted:

I think they should be presented in more civilized form by way of interpretatio graeca. Odin should be called Hermes (?), Thor should be Heracles, Tyr Ares and so forth.

I thought that last one was a joke, but apparently the poster is in deadly earnest.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The buildings make me think about what I want to do with my money - invest or spend on guns or whatever, and at what ROI threshold I wanna do that. That's a mechanism that should exist imo. Honestly what I'd change is make them less sterile somehow, ie have something happen beyond the slight +x to tax income. Maybe as I crank out courthouses a bureaucrat / lawyer / intellectual class emerges etc., with events etc. associated with it. I mean that's a general criticism I have, that the whole experience is so sterile - flip through tabs pres butan paint map rather than a society I'm building.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I like buildings a lot. They add a sense of internal development to your country.

Would be better if they could be automated, although I don’t think that’d work well for EU4 so much. Adding them through the ledger is pretty painless there days at least.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Autonomous Monster posted:

Having fun reading the I:R forums

On the Importance of a Non-Steam Version posted:

You see thats not my point!

Read my previous posts about entanglement again!

Its about not being connected all the time.
Its about privacy policy!
Its about that 5% of the gaming industry that doesnt behave or act like wireless motionless wet-ware.
its about the 5% that are still human.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/non-steam-version-of-imperator-rome.1102670/page-4#post-24330054

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their Steam-Only Rome game...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The GDPR restored my ability to feel human

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fspades posted:

Hands up, who enjoys building buildings in Paradox games? And no I don't mean the unique buildings or the ones that are sorta expensive and special. I mean the basic ones that you have to build AND upgrade in every province repeat ad nauseam. The ones you have to click through manually, because even though you give no thought whatsoever to them the AI can't figure out how to do it so they can't be automated in a satisfying manner.

Seriously, who likes that poo poo? And why does Paradox still thinks this is an integral and crucial part of grand strategy games and insist on including it in some form in every game? No I don't want to decide what to build in hundreds of cities in Imperator. I really, really don't. And if they force me to do that I will be greatly disappointed. If it has to be automated because it's not fun, then it doesn't deserve to be in a video game.

100% this. If I'm a goddamn emperor, I don't want to micromanage 50-60 cities in depth. Let me allocate resources to local development and delegate from there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Don't paradox games lack any drm still? So you could literally just boot steam for the initial download and occasional patch, and never ruin it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i had no idea paradox games ran on a 386