Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Whoever was in that tank is not Ok tho.
I always got the impression that tank olympics Were exactly this- stunts for the sake of stunts rather than any competition on ones ability to use a tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Valtonen posted:

Whoever was in that tank is not Ok tho.
I always got the impression that tank olympics Were exactly this- stunts for the sake of stunts rather than any competition on ones ability to use a tank

You and I know from experience that any tank driving that's cool to watch isn't fun for the guys in the turret.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
On the other, jumping a Stryker is rad as hell.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Getting a HMMWV unstuck from 4 feet of mud is basically an Army passtime.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Strykers have a suspension.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The Northeastern part of Yakima training center is fun as hell to VC a stryker through. Tons of trails through rolling hills.

Strykers are actually pretty fun to VC anywhere, except for when it's cold as balls outside and raining or snowing. Or it's really dry and you get plastered with dust.

It can be kind of sketchy at night though when you can't see poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The more I learn about Russian ground combat tactics, the less worried I am.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

The Northeastern part of Yakima training center is fun as hell to VC a stryker through. Tons of trails through rolling hills.

Strykers are actually pretty fun to VC anywhere, except for when it's cold as balls outside and raining or snowing. Or it's really dry and you get plastered with dust.

It can be kind of sketchy at night though when you can't see poo poo.

Being a VC for a Stryker in a winter gunnery (late March-ish, I think?) in AK was one of my least-favorite army experiences.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Naked Bear posted:

On the other, jumping a Stryker is rad as hell.

Best part of training right here. That road to leschi town had some sweet jumps next to it.

Also lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Why would we bother getting ready for war when we have a few forever wars going on right now?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bird food bathtub posted:

Why would we bother getting ready for war when we have a few forever wars going on right now?

The whole country is quietly forgetting about the GWOT. It didn't end with a bang, it's just petering out because you can't have a decisive victory against an ideology.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I wonder what descriptor we will wage war on next. I hope it's disappointment so we don't have to feel so bad about having served

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We're probably due for another conventional excursion into Latin-America

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Venezuela could do with some regime change.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Argentina doesn't have stop signs. I think we should do some COIN down there to spruce up their infrastructure.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'll contact Whitefish Energy immediately.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Iraq and Afghanistan are now treated like NTC with shittier MILES gear.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How does someone make it to become a commander and then think blaming a junior enlisted supply clerk on why his COMMAND supply discipline program sucks.

He's been in the Army twice as long as me and somehow has no idea how property works. He has a 2LT fresh out of BOLCs understanding of property.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He probably led a headquarters platoon and then went straight to staff at brigade or division, skipping XO time. That's probably the only way you can make it to O3 without constantly being beaten over the head with property books.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 4, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
~because the army doesn't award competence and only morons stay in~

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of my dudes finished up a video for a unit on JBLM about a month ago. They kicked it back today insisting we make a change: we can't use one of the pictures because a door gunner in a helicopter isn't wearing gloves.

gently caress you, army

E: He's just gonna turn his hand green, mission accomplished :patriot:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 4, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

and that captain was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMzRwwo1PZg

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

You and I know from experience that any tank driving that's cool to watch isn't fun for the guys in the turret.

Not sure what the specific driving incident was at the time, but your post made me remember one of my TCs yelling, "NEVER. loving. DO. THAT. AGAIN!" over the platoon net. I wish I could solve problems like that in civilian life sometimes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Not sure what the specific driving incident was at the time, but your post made me remember one of my TCs yelling, "NEVER. loving. DO. THAT. AGAIN!" over the platoon net. I wish I could solve problems like that in civilian life sometimes.

I've told this story a million times but I'll tell it once more. In my BOLC crew I had this guy named Harvey. Harvey was a former preacher and his goal was the be a chaplain, but for some reason he was tanking in the middle of that. He was a kind, generous guy who never swore and drank moderately. Harvey was a big dude, tall but still kind of fat. The kind of dimensions that don't fit well in a tank. Well anyways one training mission it's Harvey's turn to gun while I TC and my buddy Phil (who drives crazy) is steering. The sun is juuuuuuuust coming up over Kentucky and I see that we're about to hit some mud that had hardened to the consistency of concrete while going about 20-30 mph. The evaluator and I kind of look at each other and brace just in time for us to hit full speed. Over the net I hear Harvey let out the most godforsaken string of curses over. His head was too big to use the gun sight with the face pad on, so he had smashed his forehead right into the sight. Poor guy ended up with stitches in his forehead.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I've told this story a million times but I'll tell it once more. In my BOLC crew I had this guy named Harvey. Harvey was a former preacher and his goal was the be a chaplain, but for some reason he was tanking in the middle of that. He was a kind, generous guy who never swore and drank moderately. Harvey was a big dude, tall but still kind of fat. The kind of dimensions that don't fit well in a tank. Well anyways one training mission it's Harvey's turn to gun while I TC and my buddy Phil (who drives crazy) is steering. The sun is juuuuuuuust coming up over Kentucky and I see that we're about to hit some mud that had hardened to the consistency of concrete while going about 20-30 mph. The evaluator and I kind of look at each other and brace just in time for us to hit full speed. Over the net I hear Harvey let out the most godforsaken string of curses over. His head was too big to use the gun sight with the face pad on, so he had smashed his forehead right into the sight. Poor guy ended up with stitches in his forehead.

Ouch.

I'll never forget seeing one of my buddies at the PX and he had no upper front teeth. He had hit them, and broke them all off, on the metal edge of the hatch (the hole part you stick your head out of, not the lid).

To this day I cringe thinking about that happening.

*edit* He told me the hatch had fallen, hit his helmeted head, and smashed his teeth into the ledge.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Slim Pickens posted:

One of my dudes finished up a video for a unit on JBLM about a month ago. They kicked it back today insisting we make a change: we can't use one of the pictures because a door gunner in a helicopter isn't wearing gloves.

gently caress you, army

E: He's just gonna turn his hand green, mission accomplished :patriot:

Sounds like some bullshit I had with USAEUR about making this series about going through WLC. That order was coming down the pipe (no NCO or E-4P without it) and I worked with the one in Graf for days and hours. Made 3 videos that got their message across (WLC isn't scary, here's how to prepare) and it got cut because soldiers didn't have their PTs tucked in underneath their winter pts while also doing that dumb stretchy bullshit. They wanted me to basically redo the whole thing and I just gave up and my boss tossed the job away to someone else.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Sounds like some bullshit I had with USAEUR about making this series about going through WLC. That order was coming down the pipe (no NCO or E-4P without it) and I worked with the one in Graf for days and hours. Made 3 videos that got their message across (WLC isn't scary, here's how to prepare) and it got cut because soldiers didn't have their PTs tucked in underneath their winter pts while also doing that dumb stretchy bullshit. They wanted me to basically redo the whole thing and I just gave up and my boss tossed the job away to someone else.

And they just grab soldiers off the street to sit/stand in front of a greenscreen and read poo poo off for safety videos.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That sounds like peak "I hate my job" level work.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The following is now obsolete (unless your commander is dumb):

POV inspections.

MSAF 360

Transgender training: Declared complete across the army, don't have to do new sessions anymore.

Substance abuse training: No longer unit requirement, case by case only.

Now, to see how many scaredy cat commanders still require this stuff as CYA.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
With most american states having no vehicle inspections of any kind, I was actually kind of okay with the POV inspection thing. South Carolina's roads are full of 2000 pounds rust missiles with no proper way to control or slow them down, and soldiers shouldn't be driving those.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mlmp08 posted:

The following is now obsolete (unless your commander is dumb):

POV inspections.

MSAF 360

Transgender training: Declared complete across the army, don't have to do new sessions anymore.

Substance abuse training: No longer unit requirement, case by case only.

Now, to see how many scaredy cat commanders still require this stuff as CYA.

All of them.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Vahakyla posted:

With most american states having no vehicle inspections of any kind, I was actually kind of okay with the POV inspection thing. South Carolina's roads are full of 2000 pounds rust missiles with no proper way to control or slow them down, and soldiers shouldn't be driving those.

State inspections don't really fix that.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
South Carolina roads shouldn't be the responsibility of some dumbass NCO either

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Posting to check my posts.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

There we go.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
TRIPS requirement going away is nice.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

TRIPS requirement going away is nice.

I had to do one because I’m too high rank to have a squad leader, so the computer checkbox has to serve as the substitute.

Seriously.

The alternative was to go bother a more senior officer and provide written proof that he/she had counseled me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Another alternative is to get out of the army

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

Another alternative is to get out of the army

One way or the other :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU