Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jesus WEP posted:

them doe eyes tho

That one’s the bigger rear end in a top hat of the two. The brindle does garbage like run away into the neighbor’s house and poo poo on their floor, sure, but the brown fuckin haaaaaaates me. Huge scaredy cat, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

large hands posted:

He was pretty nervous with our daughter when she was a newborn but has grown quite protective of her and puts up with hugs and kisses now. Her dropping food to him from her high chair might have something to do with it.

Aw, such cuties! :D And yes, bribes always work a treat! haha

And that's hilarious, Pollyanna! Now that you mention it, my old whippet always used to run over to the neighbours' house (thankfully a few houses down the road, so I'm not 100% if they knew he was my dog) and poo on their doorstep and front lawn, before promptly running back. (Never actually inside their house though, thankfully! Good lord)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Major Isoor posted:

Aw, such cuties! :D And yes, bribes always work a treat! haha

And that's hilarious, Pollyanna! Now that you mention it, my old whippet always used to run over to the neighbours' house (thankfully a few houses down the road, so I'm not 100% if they knew he was my dog) and poo on their doorstep and front lawn, before promptly running back. (Never actually inside their house though, thankfully! Good lord)

It has happened multiple times :v:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The dog that lives across the street constantly gets out and pisses on our front door. Like, a few times a week.

I think I’m just gonna let Bonnie snap at him next time she sees him

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There was a greyhound featured on Westworld last week! It was kind of just in the background, not really a part of the plot. But it's the first time I've seen one on TV. For some reason they don't seem like a very popular dog even though anyone who sees one in person will tell you how awesome they are.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Today was unseasonably warm, so of course it was time for a beach day!

The shaggy dog was very perturbed by the fact that there's a dog that can actually keep up with him. She is very speedy.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Those white paws are very good.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

bamhand posted:

Those white paws are very good.

They're incredibly useful when we're walking in the early morning and it's still dark.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah, I'm so jealous of how you guys are allowed to let greyhounds off at the beach! Unfortunately it's illegal down here, (specifically greys...no other breeds) since there are some real stupid restrictions in place against greyhounds in Australia.
That's one good doggo, though - looks like it was a fun day out!

In Tazo-related news though, I feel bad going to work and leaving him outside - even though he's under cover. Since the weather has just been so wet and miserable lately. I bribed Tazo with a yoghurt pot (which was 95% empty; he likes licking them clean) but he still stopped and gave me this yoghurt-snouted look when I told him I had to go.

I'm sorry, doggo! :( I wish I could take him to work; he'd love it in here.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Greyhounds have the best guilt game.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Radiation Cow posted:

Today was unseasonably warm, so of course it was time for a beach day!

The shaggy dog was very perturbed by the fact that there's a dog that can actually keep up with him. She is very speedy.

Majestic girl!!!

I’m so sad I can’t let Josie run free anywhere, there’s no fully fenced areas nearby. I did find a field 40 minutes away you can rent for £10 for an hour for your dog but it feels like too much hassle.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm amazed you don't have fenced dog parks where you are. Is that true for most of the UK or just your area?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Most of the UK.

It’s normally fine for people as most of the UK is super dog friendly, it’s just bad for dogs who won’t come when you call.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie kinda comes when called, the best way however to make her come is to turn and run away from her. She loving loves chasing her humans :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello usually takes a hard think before coming back when called, particularly if we're walking alone. The turn-around trick works, as does a roast chicken bribe. Honestly, she's almost the perfect dog. Her only major issue is her dog-shyness, and walking in the woods and meeting the same dogs every day seems to be helping her cope with that. Small baby steps, we've only had her for two months!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

rhoga posted:

Genovera and I are going to pick up this handsome guy from a rescue this evening.

I'm not going to get anything done at work. I'm just gonna be thinking about dog.

Ah I can see you got him from AAGI! I recognize that Petco and the person posing him :)

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Ah I can see you got him from AAGI! I recognize that Petco and the person posing him :)

Yeah! :)

Also, today is Tennyson's birthday! Here are some pics from this morning.

And of course... a birthday :burger:

(don't worry about sad Tess in the background, she got the other half)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my god, tess's doe game is on loving point

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

The hiding behind the counter really sells it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
:swoon: it’s a good thing I don’t have Tess because I would give her everything she ever asked for. Also happy birthday Tennyson!

We took Spartacus lure coursing today! It was actually great because with it being Father’s Day there weren’t many people there, and apparently there were a lot of dog shows today as well. Even so, about five vehicles showed up, including a camper full of Salukis. We also saw a bunch of whippets, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, an Afghan, and a suite of gorgeous Pharoah dogs. Sparty was the only greyhound and was quite popular :3:

It was good that it wasn’t crowded, because you have to demonstrate that your dog isn’t going to be a nuisance on the course. This first round is Single Stakes, which means a single dog and basically proves that they know to chase and don’t just go wandering off. Next will be certification, where they run with one other similar dog to prove they aren’t going to bite or something. So we had to run a few times and if there had been a crowd we’d have been waiting in the heat all day. We had a canopy and a nice breeze so it was quite nice, but even getting done before noon it was starting to get uncomfortable.

Not surprisingly, Sparty finished first! (in his group of one). That’s not to say there weren’t problems...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgN134Y7tqE

The second run went much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ6QXL63Zlo

He got 77/100 for both runs, scored on Agility, Enthusiasm, Speed, and Endurance (I think they gave us a mulligan on Agility tbh)

Our bub is a champion! (of one)

He had so much fun chasing the lure, even when he was worn out he kept looking over in the direction of the course. It was nice giving him a chance to really sprint and stretch his legs and fulfill that need to chase.

Edit: fixed some phone posting autocorrect errors and added a paragraph

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 18, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I blinked and your dog disappeared. May want to get that checked out. You could have a ghost dog on your hands.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

bamhand posted:

I blinked and your dog disappeared. May want to get that checked out. You could have a ghost dog on your hands.

Blink dogs are a thing, and very dangerous. Luckily I think this one is just stupid

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby had 15 teeth extracted. Thankfully it sounds like everything went well. They were almost all small ones, like the ones in the bottom front.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Abby had 15 teeth extracted. Thankfully it sounds like everything went well. They were almost all small ones, like the ones in the bottom front.

Poor girl, glad everything went well

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. She's better today but definitely not 100%. Seeing her after the surgery was really tough because she was clearly feeling pretty terrible.

She moves around a bit more now and does a bit of tail wagging, but no bursts of energy.

Also rip wallet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 20, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ouch! drat, that doesn't sound fun, for either of you. :( Hopefully Abby is able to recover quickly

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Glad to hear Abby's doing better, sounds like it was a serious op. At least you got a courtesy nail trim?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Haha indeed

She's better this morning. Poops are somewhat solid which is nice. Listening to her eating soft food that had soaked in hot water is gross. She has to take Rimadyl and an antibiotic for a few days after which she'll be back on hard foods etc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Seems like it's not the greatest week for Abby or Tazo, sadly. Since while I was at work, one of the gates on the property was opened up (while Taz was unleashed and thought to be snoozing...something I don't recommend doing unless he's tied up, regardless) and Taz ran through after a roo he'd seen from a distance many times.
He didn't catch up to it (since it put a fence between them, after taking off) but Tazo ran between/through some prickly bushes and scraped his face.

It's not the best photo due to it currently being late evening (and in a poorly lit room, to boot) but boy am I glad it didn't get his eye - I'd hate to think how he'd be feeling, if it had. :( Oh well; he's happily lounging about inside now - and thankfully it's not bleeding.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Aww, poor pooches :(

Sparty smashed into a gate we put up and got a cut under his eye earlier this year, poo poo happens. Seemingly more often with greyhounds, true, but they seem pretty resilient all told (even if they have stupid baby skin :colbert:)

What are you looking at I’m not weird you’re weird

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My brother and Thor.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

My brother and Thor.

This is like with my dog and my neighbor. He lets Josie out at lunchtime and because he spends a few minutes giving her loves, she is always way more interested to see him than me. If I have the neighbors over for dinner or something Josie is all up on him, jumping on the sofa and leaning on him etc.

She refuses to share the sofa with me and sometimes if I try to get in her face for snuggles too much she will give me a warning growl. I don't understand. Surely by quantity I give her the most loves and all the food.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Hi folks, been reading through for a while and I think I'm determined to get a greyhound. I've had what was probably a greyhound mix in the past, judging by appearances and some mannerisms, and I think I am interested in the whole shebang, but I also want to make sure that I don't do the dog a disservice in not being ready to fully take care of him or her.

Basically, I will be getting my own place soon, most likely a multi-family housing unit, will be having a kid soon, girlfriend is not likely physically able to hold back a greyhound if he/she decides to chase while on a walk. I'm not sure I know what will constitute a large enough indoor space for a greyhound, I'm not sure whether I should be concerned with having a sighthound around a small child, and I will probably be the only one capable of exercising the dog. Am I in a position where I can/should accept responsibility for a longdog?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Greyhounds require almost no exercise and don't need that much indoor space. And mine at least doesn't pull very hard on a leash but YMMV on that I guess.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They’re basically furniture once inside the house, fuckers don’t move at all until they see the leash and collar come out

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

bamhand posted:

Greyhounds require almost no exercise and don't need that much indoor space. And mine at least doesn't pull very hard on a leash but YMMV on that I guess.

Mine is a saint on the leash, it’s always slack to the point he slows down if he feels the tension change because i turned to look at something. As long as you inform the adoption group about your lifestyle and needs they’ll match you up with a compatible needle nose.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

They’re basically furniture once inside the house, fuckers don’t move at all until they see the leash and collar come out

Yeah, picture a 70 pound cat that sleeps on the couch 16 hours a day that occasionally gets excited when you head towards the door. Also I've taken mine out on a run and he's done after < 1 mile and is content to go back inside and sleep. He'll also go on 10 mile hikes though. I think they're just not good at stuff like jogging but can do sprints or long walks.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Hi folks, been reading through for a while and I think I'm determined to get a greyhound. I've had what was probably a greyhound mix in the past, judging by appearances and some mannerisms, and I think I am interested in the whole shebang, but I also want to make sure that I don't do the dog a disservice in not being ready to fully take care of him or her.

Basically, I will be getting my own place soon, most likely a multi-family housing unit, will be having a kid soon, girlfriend is not likely physically able to hold back a greyhound if he/she decides to chase while on a walk. I'm not sure I know what will constitute a large enough indoor space for a greyhound, I'm not sure whether I should be concerned with having a sighthound around a small child, and I will probably be the only one capable of exercising the dog. Am I in a position where I can/should accept responsibility for a longdog?

I think you should probably wait until you have the kid, and then see if you still want the extra responsibility of a dog. That will also let you test the dog with your actual, specific kid, instead of depending on the rescue to determine if the dog is generically kid-friendly. The greyhounds I've walked have never been a threat to pull away from their walker or knock anyone over, and I think it's unlikely that your girlfriend will have a problem walking a greyhound, unless she has some disability or something. That said, if the real issue is that your gf isn't really on board with the whole dog-ownership thing, I'd hold off until/unless she comes around. It sucks to be the only caretaker for the dog, and to feel like asking for some help with the walks or feedings is some sort of imposition. (E.g. what are your plans for the dog if/when you have to take business trips?) And it's not fair to put the dog in a position where one of its owners doesn't really want it around, or might one day insist that the dog should go.

I apologize if I'm reading too much into your post - something about it just seemed to me like maybe the dog would be your project, rather than a uniformly-loved member of the whole family.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My greyhound group at least would not adopt if you had a very young child. Like under 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

bamhand posted:

Yeah, picture a 70 pound cat that sleeps on the couch 16 hours a day that occasionally gets excited when you head towards the door. Also I've taken mine out on a run and he's done after < 1 mile and is content to go back inside and sleep. He'll also go on 10 mile hikes though. I think they're just not good at stuff like jogging but can do sprints or long walks.

Spartacus does 3-5 mile runs (jogging for him) all the time now, but he’s also a weird mutant so :shrug:

Still collapses in a heap and sleeps all day at least