Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Painted some Descent figures (very poorly) and I had a blast doing it. Are there any other figure heavy games that aren't... war games? I've never really played a war game and I'm guessing on the premise I wouldn't love it. Bonus points if you have a recommendation that is co-op. If I could play warhammer 40k co-op with my wife that would be amazing because the figures do look awesome...

Gloomhaven is co-op and a great game, but only comes with about 20 figures. Blood Rage and Rising Sun from Cool Mini or Not are non co-op boardgames with a ton of figures, and then there are all the Zombicide games, also from CMoN, which are co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

Gloomhaven is co-op and a great game, but only comes with about 20 figures. Blood Rage and Rising Sun from Cool Mini or Not are non co-op boardgames with a ton of figures, and then there are all the Zombicide games, also from CMoN, which are co-op.

Another thing about the Gloomhaven minis: a lot of people would consider it a spoiler to open 13/19 of them before you've unlocked them in game. 6 are unlocked from the start. Of course you could if you wanted, but part of the fun with the game is the surprise when you unlock new characters.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone that sells knock-off old school Slayers? I need one and fyreslayers are way too big.
Preferably somewhere in Europe, but everywhere is fine

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Electric Hobo posted:

Is there anyone that sells knock-off old school Slayers? I need one and fyreslayers are way too big.

I thought Hasslefree did some but all I can see is this lady slayer. Oh and there's a topless version if her top offends you/fails to meet your definition of authentic.

https://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=hayden~hfd027&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-dwarves

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

I thought Hasslefree did some but all I can see is this lady slayer. Oh and there's a topless version if her top offends you/fails to meet your definition of authentic.

https://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=hayden~hfd027&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-dwarves
I'll be painting it for a guy who wants a classic looking slayer, so I'm not sure about that one. I'll run it by him, but I'm still looking for a more standard figure. Thanks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Does anyone know of a good source for cowering\fleeing civilians? Now that the boners are done I'm planning out their bases, and I'm thinking of having some of them saving or protecting escaping citizens.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Third Intercessor squad done!

I'm not a fan of how the camera isolates the edge highlights; in reality the edges aren't nearly as stark. Seeing them stand out in that picture like that makes me want to be really paranoid about doing the next unit.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 3, 2018

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Booyah- posted:

#2 is amazing, what ink is that?

Old Snake bite leather with the black top green wash on top. I was inspired by Pimple from Battle Toads. I have no idea if/what to highlight with.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

Avatars of War do a few, e.g. http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/w...d=118&Itemid=53

Not exactly cheap but they're pretty good quality and a very close match to GW stuff (iirc their main sculptor is ex-GW).

I likely have some spare GW ones I'll never get around to painting too. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig em out of whatever box they're in for you.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Team_q posted:

Old Snake bite leather with the black top green wash on top. I was inspired by Pimple from Battle Toads. I have no idea if/what to highlight with.

Looks fine without highlighting to me!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Moon Monster posted:

Another thing about the Gloomhaven minis: a lot of people would consider it a spoiler to open 13/19 of them before you've unlocked them in game. 6 are unlocked from the start. Of course you could if you wanted, but part of the fun with the game is the surprise when you unlock new characters.

Gloomhaven is also AFAIK nearly impossible to get outside of price gougers because of production/supply issues. I haven't painted Zombicide stuff, but going from my Nurgle Poxwalkers I imagine the Zombies are very fun, low stakes models to just basecoat and shade.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Gloomhaven is also AFAIK nearly impossible to get outside of price gougers because of production/supply issues. I haven't painted Zombicide stuff, but going from my Nurgle Poxwalkers I imagine the Zombies are very fun, low stakes models to just basecoat and shade.

There's a reprint coming right now actually, though prices are back up to around 200 if you didn't preorder a month ago or so.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, first set of Models are built and primed. Let that sit for a day while I find a wet pallet. Honestly this makes me nervous, im worried these guys are gonna come out bad. I already messed up one of the Wraithlords (He has a D-Scythe instead of a Shurikien cannon)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, first set of Models are built and primed. Let that sit for a day while I find a wet pallet. Honestly this makes me nervous, im worried these guys are gonna come out bad. I already messed up one of the Wraithlords (He has a D-Scythe instead of a Shurikien cannon)

They might, they might not. Cool thing about painting is it's paint. Good old Simple Green dunking and have at it again, with lessons learned making you a better painter.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’m working on my deathwatch, and instead of a normal black color scheme I want to do metallic black with silver highlights.

This is Vallejo steel with a black wash. I’m wondering if this is dark enough. I think I’m going to do the base steel coat, wash black, then highlight silver and wash it black again to darken everything even more.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Done painting that guy. Need to put the decal and maybe add some static grass.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Badablack posted:

I’m working on my deathwatch, and instead of a normal black color scheme I want to do metallic black with silver highlights.

This is Vallejo steel with a black wash. I’m wondering if this is dark enough. I think I’m going to do the base steel coat, wash black, then highlight silver and wash it black again to darken everything even more.

It's hard to say if you've gone dark enough until you block in other colors and see the contrasts. At the very least, block in your brightest colors and then you can see if your black properly reads as black or needs more darkening.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
#SpearBros!

Painting black is hard. I have 9 guys at this stage.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I painted another dreadclaw

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Here are some things I have painted.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Thanqol posted:

Holy poo poo.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Pretty happy with the first set of boys in about 10 years.

Here's a progress shot of the last 20 years of on and (mostly) off
~1997 ~2004 ~2009 ~2018

Also I tried to freehand some eyes:

OH NOOOOOOOoooooooooo....

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I really like your '04 and '18 guys. They remind me of 80's cartoon goblins and glow-in-the-dark toys, respectively.

I hate painting eyes and will attempt to get away with just washing them when possible.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

Finished my Farstriders warband for shadespire.

These are great - what paints did you use for the armor?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Done painting that guy. Need to put the decal and maybe add some static grass.

I love this so much, there are lots of cream color schemes out there but you've executed it perfectly here

berzerkmonkey posted:

These are great - what paints did you use for the armor?

Thanks, the armor is
Ironbreaker base
all over Drakenhoff Nightshade
apply more nightshade just in the shaded regions
broad ironbreaker highlight

After that I sometimes do edges or some prominent surfaces with runefang steel, but it's generally not necessary to get the contrast I want.

That's what I did to the right two, the guy on the left was an experiment. Ironbreaker base, then wash all over with a mix of nuln oil gloss and army painter blue tone. That's it, no touch ups or extra highlights. The downside is it's a more teal blue than drakenhoff, and personally I don't prefer that.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I think 2 layers of wash was the correct amount of blackness for metallic black armor. I really need to get a decent light setup though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Badablack posted:

I think 2 layers of wash was the correct amount of blackness for metallic black armor. I really need to get a decent light setup though.

Definitely reads as black. Looks good. Are you gonna do the left arm in bright silver?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
For rank and file guys, yeah. I think for the Watch Master it’ll be double silver pauldrons and no chapter markings though, to signify a complete separation from his previous chapter and dedication to being a Deathwatch bro.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The warlord Napoleonic metal figures were a joy to paint

However I just finished a WW2 Soviet MG team from Warlord and those models were misshapen, rough in texture, melty and hosed up in places, and chipped like at the most gentle of handling. The paint also dried to a plasticky, glossy finish as if I didn't thin my paints at all.

They look ok but noticeably worse than my similar plastic figures despite me investing the same time and technique. Hopefully a matte coat will correct the chipping and glossy look. They were also a pain to prime in the first place, like whole areas wouldn't get any primer on them out of the spray can.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 5, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

The warlord Napoleonic metal figures were a joy to paint

However I just finished a WW2 Soviet MG team from Warlord and those models were misshapen, rough in texture, melty and hosed up in places, and chipped like at the most gentle of handling. The paint also dried to a plasticky, glossy finish as if I didn't thin my paints at all.

They look ok but noticeably worse than my similar plastic figures despite me investing the same time and technique. Hopefully a matte coat will correct the chipping and glossy look. They were also a pain to prime in the first place, like whole areas wouldn't get any primer on them out of the spray can.

It sounds like they might have still had mold-release on them, then. Did you give them a good wash in warm, soapy water first?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Lost Sons - Chaos Space Marines - Leviathan Dreadnought

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Thanqol posted:

Your Mortarion scheme is better than the studio. Those bright wings are great!

How did you do the branches on the Wraith Knight? Lord. Eldar robot. I haven't seen a robot treeman before and I like it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finally got around to getting a light-box today so I can step up my photo game a bit, took the opportunity to test it on a couple models which were always too big for my old A4 paper + desk lamp setup. Pretty pleased with the results:

Banesword

Knight Lancer

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
You guys are disgustingly good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Jesus. Those look amazing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Finally got around to getting a light-box today so I can step up my photo game a bit, took the opportunity to test it on a couple models which were always too big for my old A4 paper + desk lamp setup. Pretty pleased with the results:

Banesword

Knight Lancer

What's the lightbox setup and camera? This looks good and I hate my setup.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Thanks dudes!

bonds0097 posted:

What's the lightbox setup and camera? This looks good and I hate my setup.

It's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076KNW7GY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Camera is just iPhone 8+

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What do people do for a gloss coat? I've been using a cheap acrylic auto spray can and it's great when it works, but like 50% of the time it'll bubble or pool weirdly or just not get proper coverage unless I keep spraying and one of those things happens.

I've wasted so much time sanding, repainting & spraying etc. that I'm annoyed I like the finish so much (for big stuff) and how it's essential for the only way I've figured out how to shade white to my liking. If I could go back to bare paint and the occasional matte layer I would.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I just got the new Valleja Mecha varnishes and like them quite a bit. The matte is matter than their standard matte and the gloss is glossy as gently caress. Made washing trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sassassin posted:

What do people do for a gloss coat? I've been using a cheap acrylic auto spray can and it's great when it works, but like 50% of the time it'll bubble or pool weirdly or just not get proper coverage unless I keep spraying and one of those things happens.

I've wasted so much time sanding, repainting & spraying etc. that I'm annoyed I like the finish so much (for big stuff) and how it's essential for the only way I've figured out how to shade white to my liking. If I could go back to bare paint and the occasional matte layer I would.

I airbrush with Liquitex varnish.