Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

How do you fill that glass?

Old server trick - When pouring a drink or carrying a martini glass, don't look at it. Your brain overcorrects for things that your body already corrected, causing spillage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton has a vet visit scheduled because her grody bird butt hasn't stopped being swollen up after her last egg laying bout (she produced three Easter miracles) and she's been quieter (read: less of an absolute poo poo).

She's eating well and flying/climbing/shrieking well but I know birds are good at hiding illness and injury so she's going to get checked anyway. And I know from chickens that the egg-making and egg-pooping apparati in birds are prone to loving up bad so better to be safe than sorry.

Stay safe murderbird.

Okay so I'm 100% officially Bird Cursed

Don't worry, Crouton is not dead!

So while I was away over the Easter weekend she stayed with a friend and decided to poop out three eggs before I could come back. I was a doofus and didn't leave the fake eggs with him so he could give them to her the moment she pooped one out. So out they came! The day I got back she got the fake eggs and laid no more. This has happened before and shouldn't be an issue right???? WRONGO

So her birdy butt area (vent/cloaca) didn't go down from being swollen as it is meant to after she gets out of a bout of egg laying. I weigh birds every second day and give them an all over body check at least once a week and was checking her vent every other day when I noticed the swelling wasn't going down. Around April 20th I decided "okay that is not improving" and between that and her being lighter than usual called the vet. In the ~5 days between booking the appointment and going there she started plucking the feathers and chewing the skin around her vent to the point of bleeding and tissue damage.

Wow! says the vet, that is NOT a normal bird butt, let's check her poops and blood. Okay, everything looks healthy there (bloodwork took a couple of days to get back of course). Hmm, I'd guess she is egg bound. *pokes pokes* Okay, I don't FEEL an egg, but there could be stuff inside, also maybe she ate something, let's do some xrays and otherwise look in her guts. *zaps a bird* Okay so there doesn't look to be anything inside her, but let's give her some lucrin injections to shut down her egg making facilities and also some chelation drugs in case she ate some heavy metal off the floor. Also let's go see Dr Adrian about bird feather plucking and behavioural problems. Dr Adrian the Birb Expert takes a look at her and goes "Wowee okay so a stressed bird is going to start plucking feathers, sure, but chewing the skin off the vent area is another area entirely, that's almost certainly NOT bird stress (but it will be making a very stressed bird!)" (also he took a look at the photos I took of Bird Setup and notes I'd been taking of their feeding/sleep hours/interaction hours and was like "Yes that SHOULD be a happy bird"). When chelation and lucrin didn't seem to be having an effect he gave her metacam and then gabapentin for neurological pain as girl birds who have laid eggs can get nerve damage from small bone fractures. They seemed to have a little bit of an impact but nothing major and now she has a suprelorin implant (shuts down egg making facilities for a year) as the most recent thing and the doctors are all like "what IS THIS BIRD :psyduck:"

And when you have QLD's finest Birb Vets on the case and they're like "okay we know SOMETHING is causing her pain, probably, but we don't have the foggiest idea WHAT" you know something weird is going on.

I am glad I have money stashed away for Emergency Bird Funds and also don't like spending my week to week disposable income on nice things because she is swiftly becoming an expensive girl.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
She's also doing Really Big Poops and showing other nesty behaviour but given that she's been on lucrin and now suprelorin that should all be well and truly shut down so the vets are even more like ????

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Current diagnosis is "Bird is experiencing pain but we can't tell why, her reproductive bits are abnormal but how and why isn't the suprelorin/lucrin having an effect"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Good luck, CE and Crouton :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
She's eating her food and playing with her toys and enjoying her scritches and murdering her balsa wood and not actively dying which is a good thing at least.

Well, she's asleep right now, but I'm sure she'll still be alive in the morning, touch wood...

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Feel better Crouton!!!!! Anais never got the memo she's a cockatiel and not a chicken and is always laying eggs so I can relate at least a little.

In lighter news I think I need to get ~*Bandit Bird*~ a cozy corner or something because I noticed last night she sleeps hanging off the cage wall behind a thicket of leather toys.

e: Bandit whenever I try to take a picture

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 5, 2018

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Used some of my inheritance to buy a great big cage. Dunno when it will arrive. It is extremely frustrating that I cannot ask the opinions of the ones who will be living in it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Captain Log posted:

This cockatoo is so mean, it bit THROUGH my friends palm and rips people to shreds. So naturally, I'm somehow best buddies with him. I get to pet him and he does this whenever I walker my way into the room.

HENLO!

Parrots are weird. Their criteria for "best friend" is arbitrary sometimes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Mizuti posted:

Parrots are weird. Their criteria for "best friend" is arbitrary sometimes.

Lookit dem fluffenchops! Daww!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
That bird has mutton chops like a Civil War General

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
help

hes in my shirt and he won't come out

budgies aren't supposed to do this ah poo poo he's gone to sleep

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fart real loud

Idk man you're hosed, bird owns you now

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Today I begged the specialty parrot place for photos of the little bird I put a deposit on.

He or she has top tier messy spaghetti mouth. :allears: I'm in love!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So cute I might die

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Green Cheeks always have the look of being on, or off, ADHD medicine. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Spare-Ohs posted:

Today I begged the specialty parrot place for photos of the little bird I put a deposit on.

ohhhh myyyy godddd

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Spare-Ohs posted:

turquoise conures are amazing

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
sorry to birbspam but it has been a glorious pigday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8FTkW108RM

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Never stop. I love Pigpig.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but in that video it sometimes sounds like he mimics your tone when you speak to him. Makes me miss my little budgie buddies.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone else's tiel molting? A lot more of Tito's feathers and bird dandruff all over stuff.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh yes. Pion dropped one of his two tail feathers the other day, and is having way more pin feathers around the neck. He's getting difficult to give scritches again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not great pictures, but Agrippa took his first vacation to the beach

dude we know you're back there

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Not great pictures, but Agrippa took his first vacation to the beach

dude we know you're back there

The cutest little creeper :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

iRend posted:

sorry to birbspam but it has been a glorious pigday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8FTkW108RM

Ghost Borb

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Ghorb

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tendai posted:

The cutest little creeper :kimchi:

I can't remember if I posted this or not but my conure likes to hide in the couch cushions.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
So this is a new thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKHpFVkzKE

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Crouton and Galbedir are like that with ears. They also become automatic lickers after I have been for a run.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton and Galbedir are like that with ears. They also become automatic lickers after I have been for a run.

this is me with every animal ever, even without going for a run, because cystic fibrosis causes you to lose excess salt through sweating so animals see me as a big ol' giant salt lick

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIzEV958BQQ

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone else’s conure have an obsession with nomming on fingers? Because that and tormenting cockatiels are Bandit’s favorite things

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I took Mochi to the boarder today, listening to him start to freak out after he realized I was leaving him alone in a strange place was heartbreaking. The place seems really nice and has aviary time and fresh food and birdie baking every day (and there were a ton of other conures boarding!), but he's never been more than a night alone without both of us, and he was at home in his own cage. He probably thinks I'm never coming back :(

Bradbury sat at the top of his cage for the whole car ride and watched everything while we went to my friend he knows well who is watching him. As soon as we got his cage set down he settled in for a preen. Bradbo gives no fucks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

GoldStandardConure posted:

this is me with every animal ever, even without going for a run, because cystic fibrosis causes you to lose excess salt through sweating so animals see me as a big ol' giant salt lick

That’s hysterical and please god never go within fifty yards of a horse.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

That’s hysterical and please god never go within fifty yards of a horse.

Rip gsc, licked too much by Freckles and died.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
All my birds have gone through a licking phase. It's like they suddenly discover their taste buds at a certain age.

But Wandy liked it when I'd get home from work at a restaurant covered in about eighteen different types of food. I might have set a bad standard with her. :)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
bobby licks my ear its weird

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The first time I interacted with a hyacinth macaw it spent like 5 minutes having a vigorous tongue makeout sesh with my ear. It was simultaneously awesome and deeply weird.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
the only hyacinth macaw I've met asked to pick it up so I did and it ripped two buttons off my coat before hopping back to its perch and asking for scritches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Shark Sandwich posted:

the only hyacinth macaw I've met asked to pick it up so I did and it ripped two buttons off my coat before hopping back to its perch and asking for scritches

:hai: