Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate that the Knack meme has festered to the point where people actually think its a good game.

That's the dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Woah I forgot about the video game chat threads. Hello again everyone.

Recently I realized that my Samus edition New 3DS isn't getting enough use after buying it on launch day last-ish year I decided to drop some money on a few Virtual Console games I've never played before.

Wario Land 2 is really good and has an absurd amount of content and features for a GBC platformer. drat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Woah I forgot about the video game chat threads. Hello again everyone.

Recently I realized that my Samus edition New 3DS isn't getting enough use after buying it on launch day last-ish year I decided to drop some money on a few Virtual Console games I've never played before.

Wario Land 2 is really good and has an absurd amount of content and features for a GBC platformer. drat.

Yeah, it rules and has like 12 ending or whatever. Did you get the path that opens up if you don't move during the intro yet?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah, it rules and has like 12 ending or whatever. Did you get the path that opens up if you don't move during the intro yet?

I'm still working on getting all of the endings. I had to look up a guide for that one, though. It's brilliant.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I literally just started Vampyr and already the dialogue is... oof. The Life is Strange hella teen dialog felt more natural than this.

This is a nightmare!! This can't be happening! What have I done?? *picks up a machette* Now I can defend myself! *kills a guy* I'm sorry... BUT YOU LEFT ME NO CHOICE.

There's also a horrible poem that starts off the game. This poo poo is already starting off way too serious

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It should be known that there are two major teams at Dontnod and Vampyr was developed by Team Remember Me, not Life is Strange.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Did you just really post Knack isn’t a good game?

NO poo poo. :v: It’s one of those unfunny memes the ps4 thread ran into the ground. I rather have that stupid Bad rats meme than that garbage.

Friend of mines bought Vampyr so it looks cool.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 5, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macaluso posted:

I literally just started Vampyr and already the dialogue is... oof. The Life is Strange hella teen dialog felt more natural than this.

This is a nightmare!! This can't be happening! What have I done?? *picks up a machette* Now I can defend myself! *kills a guy* I'm sorry... BUT YOU LEFT ME NO CHOICE.

There's also a horrible poem that starts off the game. This poo poo is already starting off way too serious

But is it worse than Detroit?

This is important information for my Gamefly queue

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate that the Knack meme has festered to the point where people actually think its a good game.

It is a good game though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I knew something was horribly wrong when none of the trailers showed actual gameplay.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I think my TV is too small or something to play Witcher 3 because I can't read anything unless I sit like 4 feet from it :saddowns:

If there was some way to increase the subtitle size and like enemy names/displayed level it'd be fine. Conversation text isn't too bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been playing World of Warcraft a lot, making my way through the recent expansion (that turned out to be over two years old but whatever).

The solo content is pretty fantastic, they give you lots of freedom with this new scaling system they got going.

But I have to complain about the people: my most recent MMORPG experience was Final Fantasy XIV, where maybe one in a hundred players are assholes, but here in WoW it might be closer to one in ten. Maybe they’re just super blasé by what must be very old content for them, but man, you’d think they’d at least respond to my hellos in dungeons.

As soon as I zone in, I say hi, I say it’s my first time doing this dungeon, and nine times out of ten I get silence, followed by the damage dealers running ahead of me (I’m a tank) and engaging enemies on their own. It’s not like they’re being dumb and suicidal, I mean it seems like people vastly outgear the content, but it’s kinda miserable for me and I don’t enjoy it.

And yeah, casual racism and sexism in public chat. I turned that off real quick.

Anyway. I’m home sick today so I’ll be playing more I think

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But is it worse than Detroit?

This is important information for my Gamefly queue

Detroit is the most unsubtle video game in the history of video games, but its dialogue at least usually feels natural.

This fucker says his thoughts out loud with every action you do, and it's all awful.

Detroit is cliche as hell, but this feels worse in that regard. Like just imagine someone saying the dialogue in this game while doing that dramatic head to forhead swooning gesture

edit:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 5, 2018

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I said come in! posted:

I knew something was horribly wrong when none of the trailers showed actual gameplay.

They released one a couple of weeks ago with not much fanfare and it looked budget as gently caress and your guy kept making the sames sounds when he attacks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

I said come in! posted:

Dunno about trailers but there was a sizable chunk of gameplay shown several months ago.

From what I've read so far the game can range from ok to great depending how much you dig the setting and how much you're willing to overlook some flaws. There's a great review collection post on reddit here https://redd.it/8olgvd.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It is a good game though.

Yeah, miss me with that anti-Knack poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

And let me just say, I'm pretty apologetic of cliches and tropes. I enjoy plenty of tropes and cliche one liners. Point me to a story where the two leads hate each other but throughout the story fall in love, I am all over that overused poo poo. And I am ALL about Hank's character in Detroit.

Something about this though is TOO MUCH, on top of being way too loving serious.

edit: And I'm barely that far into the game either! The game just bombards you with this kind of thing SO QUICKLY

edit: I got an interaction thing for a rat, and I picked up the rat and ate it and then he out loud goes "this is DESPICABLE".

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 5, 2018

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been playing World of Warcraft a lot, making my way through the recent expansion (that turned out to be over two years old but whatever).

The solo content is pretty fantastic, they give you lots of freedom with this new scaling system they got going.

But I have to complain about the people: my most recent MMORPG experience was Final Fantasy XIV, where maybe one in a hundred players are assholes, but here in WoW it might be closer to one in ten. Maybe they’re just super blasé by what must be very old content for them, but man, you’d think they’d at least respond to my hellos in dungeons.

As soon as I zone in, I say hi, I say it’s my first time doing this dungeon, and nine times out of ten I get silence, followed by the damage dealers running ahead of me (I’m a tank) and engaging enemies on their own. It’s not like they’re being dumb and suicidal, I mean it seems like people vastly outgear the content, but it’s kinda miserable for me and I don’t enjoy it.

And yeah, casual racism and sexism in public chat. I turned that off real quick.

I came back to WoW after like 5 years of a break and it is massively improved and has some great QoL stuff now. The playerbase are indeed still 50/50 assholes vs. cool people.

I'm maining a mage and i got kicked out of an instance last night because i missed a request in the chat for me to spawn a refreshment table. As in, we finished one pack of mobs, the guy asked me to spawn the table but the tank pulled another mob so i just started fighting. The second the fight ended i was booted from the group and the healer whispered me with the usual "WTF n00b!?!?!" poo poo.

Had another one this morning where the tank and healer started arguing over a hosed up pull that we survived fairly easily. The healer then decided to stop healing the tank in the middle of the next boss fight so we wiped and then the tank ragequit and messaged us all to tell us how poo poo we were.

Most of the time groups are fine but it is nowhere near being like ff14 where everyone is chill and helpful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Detroit is the most unsubtle video game in the history of video games, but its dialogue at least usually feels natural.

This fucker says his thoughts out loud with every action you do, and it's all awful.

Detroit is cliche as hell, but this feels worse in that regard. Like just imagine someone saying the dialogue in this game while doing that dramatic head to forhead swooning gesture

edit:

That writing seems on-point for a Victorian penny-dreadful. But of course I'm not sure if they're purposefully going for that or if they're just inept.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jay Rust posted:

I can't go back to WoW after FF14. The graphics are worse, the story is worse, the location is worse, the music is worse and the community is so very much worse. It's mind-boggling that the 2nd most popular MMORPG has an almost universally nice and helpful community but here it is and it exists

(I still haven't played FF14 in months but that's mainly raid burnout)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they accidentally made The Surge free on psn for PS+ members. Grab it before they fix it
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4133-CUSA04733_00-THESURGECOMPEDIT

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I used to play a tank and when pubbies would scream ahead of me or try to chain pull poo poo, I'd just kindly ask them not to. If they did it again, I just let them get clobbered because it's not worth the extra effort to run and save them

Usually this led to a meltdown or a rage quit, but like, I'd rather go slightly slower and not die than rush forward and try to handle 4 packs because the rogue or whatever has a terminal case of GOTTA GO FAST

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looks like they accidentally made The Surge free on psn for PS+ members. Grab it before they fix it
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4133-CUSA04733_00-THESURGECOMPEDIT

Grabbed it! Thanks for the heads up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does the main vampyr ever look down at his own bloody hands and say "WHAT HAVE I BECOME"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Clicked. I hope this pans out, thanks!

Edit: Wow the Surge is only 6 gigs compared to Knack 2's 37

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Aw man, I was just thinking about The Surge the other day.

Too bad i'm at work though it appears to just be a sale price now?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Knack's filesize should only ever be displayed in blocks.

suuma posted:

You had to put it in your cart for the free bit to show up when I did it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

suuma posted:

On your phone, maybe?

It shows up as a sale price but when you go to checkout it's zero

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

I can't go back to WoW after FF14. The graphics are worse, the story is worse, the location is worse, the music is worse and the community is so very much worse. It's mind-boggling that the 2nd most popular MMORPG has an almost universally nice and helpful community but here it is and it exists

(I still haven't played FF14 in months but that's mainly raid burnout)

I can’t argue with any of that. But as I’m playing WoW, I’m appreciating all the things it does better, too: questing as a whole, how you get to keep your abilities when queuing up for old dungeons thanks to the scaling tech, the fact that you can actually move your items in your bags around while talking to a merchant...

And I’m sure when I start playing FFXIV again in like six months, I’ll remember to appreciate all of the things you mentioned, too.

I probably like them both equally

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yup thought same and boom free. Always wanted to try this game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Clicked. I hope this pans out, thanks!

Edit: Wow the Surge is only 6 gigs compared to Knack 2's 37

One of the reasons I played Knack was it's been sitting on my hard drive and it's so god damned big but I didn't want to delete before beating it.

Also, I know Knack was supposed to be bad and I didn't play it believing it would be good but it is just kind of amazing just how bad it is. As I said, the way it manages to be bad instead of mediocre feels like a mistake.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You guys rock.

Turns out my PS+ expired :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skypie posted:

I used to play a tank and when pubbies would scream ahead of me or try to chain pull poo poo, I'd just kindly ask them not to. If they did it again, I just let them get clobbered because it's not worth the extra effort to run and save them

Usually this led to a meltdown or a rage quit, but like, I'd rather go slightly slower and not die than rush forward and try to handle 4 packs because the rogue or whatever has a terminal case of GOTTA GO FAST

Ffxiv had the exact same thing and the dev response was to design future dungeons so none of the max pulls are very big. They're very on top of trying to encourage non-toxic behavior through game design. I haven't played wow so maybe they try too I dunno.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Seems to be fixed

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Ffxiv had the exact same thing and the dev response was to design future dungeons so none of the max pulls are very big. They're very on top of trying to encourage non-toxic behavior through game design. I haven't played wow so maybe they try too I dunno.

the game is so easy these days you can pretty much just walk through dungeons anyways

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

And let me just say, I'm pretty apologetic of cliches and tropes. I enjoy plenty of tropes and cliche one liners. Point me to a story where the two leads hate each other but throughout the story fall in love, I am all over that overused poo poo. And I am ALL about Hank's character in Detroit.

Something about this though is TOO MUCH, on top of being way too loving serious.

edit: And I'm barely that far into the game either! The game just bombards you with this kind of thing SO QUICKLY

edit: I got an interaction thing for a rat, and I picked up the rat and ate it and then he out loud goes "this is DESPICABLE".

You're making this sound like an entire game starring that power plant guy at the end of Hatred, and that sounds incredible.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, miss me with that anti-Knack poo poo

Okay seriously how much of the Knack series is Knack himself or people around him saying what Knack is doing is really cool, really great, keep it up, Knack.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Knack is the most bizarrely bland character. He has no personality traits whatsoever other than being kind of vaguely cocky. He's still better than most of the other characters in the game who do have personality traits but they're half assed and irritating.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knack is the most bizarrely bland character. He has no personality traits whatsoever other than being kind of vaguely cocky.

Truly the gamer mascot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My favorite thing about the Knack series is whenever you clear an area, no matter how much climbing or fighting or acrobatics or phase-shifting you had to do to get past it, your human companions just stroll up behind you like it was no big deal.

And then yeah they say "Great job Knack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

Knack's filesize should only ever be displayed in blocks.

I miss when each console had a visually distinct storage system and sometimes developers would get really creative with the file logo/model for their game on your PS2 memory card. It used up resources yes, but it was a lost art when they couldn't do it anymore.

• Locked thread