Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i believe in u vasler. i believe in the kock cult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

frest posted:

Can you use the summons as assistants, and is there a level 10 Forge Aspect summon on par with Bloody Mary my murder Maid of Honor

You absolutely can, and you can even use summons as victims/sacrifices. There's a 12 Forge Aspect summon if memory serves. He's a very shouty boy.

lets hang out posted:

Doesn't promoting cultists with knock work a little differently? I've heard that but I don't know what exactly the difference is.

Not that I can remember, though I haven't played a Knock cult since my first run and it's been a while. Secret Histories works differently than the others; that might be the one you're thinking of.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Manage to get a sensation victory. It was actually not as bad (in terms of grind) as I thought. I summoned the big grail summon, which has 12 grail and edge. Then I got into the peacock door and picked the Red Church, which unsurprisingly gave me the highest tier grail influence. Then with the assistance of my exalted I got 37 levels of my aspect using the Sunset ritual. Founding a cult that can get you prisoners for free is really handy late game. I probably couldn't do it so quickly if I didn't have unlimited prisoners to feed the spider gate.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 5, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Because spider is such a hastle I'm inclined to focus more on peacock but I worry that I'm going to miss something important in there

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Because spider is such a hastle I'm inclined to focus more on peacock but I worry that I'm going to miss something important in there

I think spider door has the the level 15 moth/forge/edge
influences behind it, but I'm not sure.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Hah, I didn't notice I missed an "n" in "knock" in my last post.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Two more questions:

When you refer to promoting someone with knock or something else, you're referring to an attribute that the individual member possesses, right?

Is the lore/aspect/whatever required to promote someone different based on what their attribute is?

One more question I guess, things like furtive whatevers (not at my pc atm), can they be used to upgrade aspects or do you specifically need to use aspects to upgrade aspects?

I ask this because in my experience I've received a lot of furtive moments from the white door but never an actual aspect. I think I'm confused!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

You can upgrade any Cultist with any lore, as long as it's high enough level (2 to recruit, 7 for disciple, I think 21 for the last one?). So a knock cult can upgrade guys with Grail lore, or a forge influence, or whatever. The type of aspect doesn't matter, only that it's strong enough.

Knock is actually a great way to get disciples early in the game. One of the results of "streets by strange moonlight" is a level 6 knock influence (which only lasts for 60 seconds before poofing). If you have even a level 2 knock lore, you can use the influence as a trapping in the promotion ceremony. It'll consume the trapping, but that's not a problem really, they're easy to get and expire so fast anyway.

Once you're through the White Door, you'll be able to quickly upgrade your cult, as that place dumps level 6 influences frequently.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, I thought that wasn’t true at all—can’t you only upgrade people with the lore your cult is founded on?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, I thought that wasn’t true at all—can’t you only upgrade people with the lore your cult is founded on?

I think they're referring to believer -> disciple only, because I'm pretty sure I couldn't upgrade a non-Moth disciple to Skintwister

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Actually that's wrong. All cult types can promote only with their lore type. A forge cult can only promote with forge etc. The exception is a histories guild which cannot promote with histories but rather promotes with that cultists type. So a moth cultist can only promote with moth and so on.

The special thing about knock is that knock books are insanely rare but you can promote any other type of lore to knock with study. Take a knock 2 lore and any other lore 2 and you get knock 4 and so on.

This also works for other lore types but it's very specific what they can be turned into.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Nope. While the game makes you think you're dedicated to one lore, the cult as a whole is pleasingly pragmatic and impartial. Any secret will do, as long as it's a good one!

Edit: well, maybe it's because I was a Histories cult it was working that way? I was making disciples out of any level 7 aspects I could scrounge up, regardless of the type of Cultist.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I think you are wording things very poorly (or really have a vastly different understanding than everyone). You upgrade your cultists with the same lore as your founding lore. Unless you founded the history cult which has it's own rule.

edit: there you go.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'll have to test it but I'm pretty sure histories cults do care about the lore type but only insofar it matches the cultist.

You're supposed to be able to recruit aquaintances with any lore type though. The drawback for histories cults is that they can't exalt anyone. So disciples is the most you get.

Edit: turns out I'm wrong any cultist specific lore requirements don't apply to histories cults.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 5, 2018

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Secret Histories cults can promote using any lore, at the expense of not being able to exalt anyone. Every other cult needs to use its founding principle to promote.

e: If you are not a SH cult this also applies to the acquaintance > believer conversion. You can gain acquaintances using any lore, but any promotions once you have them need to be your founding lore.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Doesn't that essentially make Secret Histories cults completely useless given how easy it is to promote people to disciple?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I think I'm even more confused now.

My understanding was that I needed my aspect (the founding principles my cult is based on, which is knock in my case) to be above 7 to upgrade a believer.

What I'm reading here, if I interpreted things correctly, is that my aspect is required to upgrade, but that I can use those 60 second things as trappings and as long as the trappings are above 7 I'll be able to upgrade?

Edit: curse you, phone keyboard.

Do I have this right?

Vasler fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 5, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't that essentially make Secret Histories cults completely useless given how easy it is to promote people to disciple?

You get a stronger early game but give up exalted cultists, which isn't that much of a trade since demons exist. You'll be able to do expeditions right out the game basically.

^^
Yes a lot of things can be used as trappings. Crucially an item marked tool isn't consumed. Right now I have a tool with 8 forge so I can upgrade my cultists at any time.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vasler posted:

My understanding was that I needed my aspect (the founding principles my cult is based on, which is knock in my case) to be above 7 to upgrade a believer.

What I'm reading here, if I interpreted things correctly, is that my aspect is required to upgrade, but that I can use those 60 second things as trappings and as long as the trappjngat are above 7 I'll be able to upgrade?

Do I have this right?

As long as the combination of Lore and Trappings is above the threshold and matches your founding aspect, you can use it to promote. The 60 second influences work a treat for this, as do any high level tools. If you use ingredients those will get consumed, so be careful. You can also use the Trappings slot to burn off restlessness/dread/fascination even if they don't match your aspect as long as the lore is high enough.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

SH cults tend to be able to promote to disciple quicker, since you aren't reliant on one single aspect forever. The drawback of no exalts is rather drastic, though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vasler posted:

What I'm reading here, if I interpreted things correctly, is that my aspect is required to upgrade, but that I can use those 60 second things as trappings and as long as the trappjngat are above 7 I'll be able to upgrade?

Do I have this right?

Yes. You need the number at the bottom of the window next to your cult's founding lore to be 7 or higher. That number is the total of the aspect values in all the slots above it. This means that it's easier to promote cultists of the same type as your cult because their 2 or 5 points will also contribute to the total.

Basically you really need to pay attention to those numbers next to the icons at the bottom of windows, they have an impact on almost everything.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Demons can't abduct people and crank out items though. Demons are also terrible against mystic hunters. I gave up at I think the 7th hint/maid-in-mirror failure attempt to kill a tenacious mystic hunter.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Yes a lot of things can be used as trappings. Crucially an item marked tool isn't consumed. Right now I have a tool with 8 forge so I can upgrade my cultists at any time.

This is true, but it's a possible bug that right now, using spintria as a trapping eats the spintria. I like to think my cultists go back into the world with a little symbol of their occult membership in their pockets.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Spintra is money, which is explicitly a consumable.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
For a huge while I was putting Funds into the Trappings slot because I thought it was necessary. :nsa:

Small point, but: when you finish Commissions at the lowest level, the art for your manuscript is a really shoddy version of that lore’s art :3:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just because this seems to be worded very weirdly.

Yes, you only use your own lore to upgrade cult members, as far as i'm aware.

If people are having the same experience as me, they're getting a level 6 lore (or a lower level lore and a trapping) to promote a follower of their cult.

This is because you need a combined 7 of the lore to upgrade the first level of cultist. I am playing as an edge cult. An edge believer only needs a level 6 lore, because the edge believer himself also brings two edge to the table, for a combined total of 8.

Then I assume people are trying the same thing with say, a grail cultist after they've promoted their edge cultist and going "wtf, i can only upgrade my edge guys?". Nope, you just need either a level 8 lore or an additional trapping, as non *your cult* cultists do not contribute to the ritual in any way (the lazy bastards).

And to think I started that by trying to make it simpler to read. This loving game

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

That's a good point. I would only add, per the above the discussions, Histories cults work under completely different rules than above. It has the overall effect of making your early game stronger (easier to upgrade believers) and your late game weaker (can't upgrade disciples)

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Going by the developer tweets, I'm expecting DLC to take the form of alternate starts akin to the Socialite, Physician, Inspector but for the different Lore aspects

e.g. Temptation: "knifing around' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZNkz1V5ahU

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
I’m at 150 funds and not stopping anytime soon. Gonna see if the board ever objects to me being a creepy old dude who collects esoteric books and lore but never really does anything suspicious. If this doesn’t kill me somehow I should be able to go without working while I concentrate on actual cult business.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
First victory was a Power victory, which might be the easiest as far as temptation victories go. Once you give yourself the Third Mark you automatically progress to the Sixth Mark over time and then it's just burning time until you get your man King Forge to help you become the hairless idiot you've always wanted to be

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

First victory was a Power victory, which might be the easiest as far as temptation victories go. Once you give yourself the Third Mark you automatically progress to the Sixth Mark over time and then it's just burning time until you get your man King Forge to help you become the hairless idiot you've always wanted to be

The thing I like about the Power end is that despite what you might think, you never actually have to hurt anybody if you don't want to. Nothing particularly essential is behind the spider door, using Edge to solve expedition problems is optional, you get marks by buying more crap to burn yourself with. Maybe a lot of theft going on and I pulled some Scooby Doo hoaxes on folks but at least I feel more moral then that dirty poo poo Hobson and his false evidence.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Where the gently caress do I learn Phrygian? I have six books written in this goddamn deader-than-latin langauge. Is it a random book drop from an expedition or is there something specific about getting it? The flavor text you get when you slot in a Phrygian book in the study verb suggests that you can learn it from a ghost or something like that. Is that a a thing? Also, I sort of get that you get more powerful books from higher tier expeditions, are certain books found only in certain tiers? Or can I farm a high tier and eventually find all the books from lower tiers?

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 5, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Where the gently caress do I learn Phrygian? I have six books written in this goddamn deader-than-latin langauge. Is it a random book drop from an expedition or is there something specific about getting it? The flavor text you get when you slot in a Phrygian book in the study verb suggests that you can learn it from a ghost or something like that. Is that a a thing? Also, I sort of get that you get more powerful books from higher tier expeditions, are certain books found only in certain tiers? Or can a farm a high tier and eventually find all the books from lower tiers?

Yeah, some Demons can teach you languages with study.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
I don't care much for achievements, but I remember Sunless Sea's being pretty useful at tracking content seen/unseen. Is that the case for this game as well? Does anybody know if the GOG version has them? TIA.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

I’m at 150 funds and not stopping anytime soon. Gonna see if the board ever objects to me being a creepy old dude who collects esoteric books and lore but never really does anything suspicious. If this doesn’t kill me somehow I should be able to go without working while I concentrate on actual cult business.

How are you doing it? Plugging away at a Senior Position?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i didn't wanna read through all the spoilered stuff since i wanna be at least SOMEWHAT unspoiled on everything but if i'm chasing the red grail and need to solve the stag riddle and the riddle is 'what needs to open before this way opens?' that's totally the rank 6 knock thing needed, right? it seemed kinda obvious but i just wanted to make sure before i start subverting a bunch of lore to meet this requirement.

e: actually nevermind i fiddled around a bit and discovered that yes, i am correct

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 6, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I figured out how to get the special paintings last night but it weirds me out because it doesn’t change the text to tell you something new might happen when you put the rare ingredients into the box. Everything else that does something seems to have that reactive text effect.

As far as I can tell the requirements for a chance at a special painting are Fevered Imagination, bunch of Passion, and at least 12 lore of any particular type, including the contribution from the special ingredient?

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Pirate Radar posted:

How are you doing it? Plugging away at a Senior Position?

There’s one level above that that gives 4 funds. But if the board gets wind of your weird hobbies then you get fired.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

There’s one level above that that gives 4 funds. But if the board gets wind of your weird hobbies then you get fired.

Ooh, I thought that feeding Passion to the Senior Position was just how you got the mundane ending, didn’t realize there was more. What’s the expiration timer on the job card?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Infinity Gaia posted:

So has anyone here actually tried to cast the The End Is Beautiful ritual? It seems like a game over so I'm rather scared of attempting it, but also insanely curious. This is the thing that has made me feel the most like a cultist, so good job Cultist Sim.

yes, and it murdered the count

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wouldn’t be surprised if that ritual simply does exactly what it says and just kills someone random for no benefit to you (unless you get insanely lucky and it’s the investigator)

Semi-related, does anyone know what happens if you defeat all the named Investigators? I killed Wakefield and got the Weary Detective, who’s been quite pleasantly manageable so far so I’ve left him alone and focused on Moth-ing away his evidence when he gets it. If it’s something interesting then just say that, you don’t have to tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Ooh, I thought that feeding Passion to the Senior Position was just how you got the mundane ending, didn’t realize there was more. What’s the expiration timer on the job card?

The last position is unrelated to the Passion. If you look at the job card you will notice it has the "annoyance" tag, which means you can "solve" the problem with a nice helping of edge cultist, then take your rightful place in the company.