Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Unlike Rose people generally liked Rey

Hell probably most of the reason people who hate Rose(as opposed to just not liking her) is the character got in the way of their otp Finn/Rey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Did you miss this thread calling Rey a Marie Sue until that term lost all meaning?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hell probably most of the reason people who hate Rose(as opposed to just not liking her) is the character got in the way of their otp Finn/Rey

Which drove them to racism?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hey if you've ever harassed an actor for being in a movie you don't like maybe loving go live in a hole and leave everyone alone you complete waste of space

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unmature posted:

Hey if you've ever harassed an actor for being in a movie you don't like maybe loving go live in a hole and leave everyone alone you complete waste of space

In other words...

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1003994454657822725

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Unmature posted:

Don't doxx me

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Love that dude

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna harass Kevin Sorbo for his role in God's not dead and you can't stop me

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

This kind of poo poo will eventually and seriously taint the franchise if it hasn't already.

These fans are going to poison the well and nobody in their right mind will want to act in a Star Wars movie.

Were people using this kinda hyperbole when internet fans were (still, actually) making GBS threads all over Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

AndyElusive posted:

This kind of poo poo will eventually and seriously taint the franchise if it hasn't already.

These fans are going to poison the well and nobody in their right mind will want to act in a Star Wars movie.

Might as well toss this franchise into carbon freezing until these loving low life's die off and reboot it when the world is so miserable they desperately need a reminder of what it was like to enjoy themselves at the movies.

I'm hopeful that those toxic shitheels really are a small minority. Last week I got on YouTube and looked at my recommended videos and of the 16 slots for 'Recommended,' literally 9 of them were all videos making GBS threads all over TLJ, bitching about SJW Star Wars, anti-Kathleen Kennedy stuff and I was confused, wondering what the gently caress I had been watching for YouTube to think I was so interested in TLJ shitposting. I was actually a little relieved when I looked and saw all those videos were from only one person, some guy called "Geeks + Gamers." At the time I was looking at this, he had posted 30 videos (no exaggeration) in a single week, all bashing Kennedy and celebrating Solo's box office woes.

I commented on one of the more recent ones just to ask, "With 30 videos in a week saying absolutely nothing positive about Star Wars, why do you bother claiming you're a fan and posting so much about something you hate? Watch something else?" And then that set off a ridiculous flurry of comments justifying it. According to these folks, and I wish I was making this up, they think Kathleen Kennedy is using Star Wars to push her personal liberal agenda for a run at a presidential candidate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Were people using this kinda hyperbole when internet fans were (still, actually) making GBS threads all over Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd?

I know you're taking the piss but this is of course before we all saw and heard about the results of the kind of poo poo both got and keep getting for their involvement in Star Wars.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't be a fan.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Doronin posted:

I commented on one of the more recent ones just to ask, "With 30 videos in a week saying absolutely nothing positive about Star Wars, why do you bother claiming you're a fan and posting so much about something you hate? Watch something else?" And then that set off a ridiculous flurry of comments justifying it. According to these folks, and I wish I was making this up, they think Kathleen Kennedy is using Star Wars to push her personal liberal agenda for a run at a presidential candidate.

In my fanfic the Death Star, Death Star 2, Star Killer Base, The Sun Crusher and The Moffship destroy the planet Earth and everyone celebrates like at the end of RotJ.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

there are toxic people on the internet and a lot of them are nerds, here’s Jim with more on the story

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mandrel posted:

there are toxic people on the internet and a lot of them are nerds, here’s Jim with more on the story

Yeah let's just let this be normal and be used to it. gently caress off with this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I know you're taking the piss but this is of course before we all saw and heard about the results of the kind of poo poo both got and keep getting for their involvement in Star Wars.

Tell that to the Star Wars Kid. Where's the cause from the current fandom to vindicate him from the abuse he suffered?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 5, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has there been any statement from Tran? All I've seen about her leaving Instagram and deleting her posts has been an unverified Twitter account without a quote or anything. Everyone talking about it links back to the same tweet. There's no listed examples from her account or anything. Is it largely jumping to conclusions a little bit to say her reasons for leaving Instagram, or has she or some verified person with knowledge of the situation actually said something?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I always like the Star Wars Celebration Trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbF9rBEae-Q

This next one is probably gonna be rough

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like the back half of this excerpt is relevant here.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Vinylshadow posted:

This next one is probably gonna be rough

I think I was able to snag VIP tix for next year's SWCC. We'll see if the payment goes through or if there are any other dumb ticket system shenanigans to come.

Next year HAS to have some kind of come to Jesus admission from KK or whomever is in charge. Do a Feige-esque state of the franchise where they lay everything out on the table and preview everything that's to come.

Instead we'll probably end up just getting a TPM 20th anniversary retrospective...

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 5, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

This is entirely backwards.

The question is not how to protect the Disney franchise against TOXIC subjects who TAINT and POISON its purity.

The question is why Star Wars has failed to repel racist ideology. Why isn’t the rebellion antithetical to racism, and sexism?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I suspect the answer is related to that of the question of why so many of its fans don't like it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is entirely backwards.

The question is not how to protect the Disney franchise against TOXIC subjects who TAINT and POISON its purity.

The question is why Star Wars has failed to repel racist ideology. Why isn’t the rebellion antithetical to racism, and sexism?

I'm no big fan of Disney or their handling of the franchise, but nerds will latch onto any fantasy/sci-fi property regardless of its politics or ideology as long as its not overtly feminine/'SJW'. DS9 had a huge contingent of Gul Dukat Did Nothing Wrong fans and Elon Musk is apparently a massive fan of The Culture series

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

I think I was able to snag VIP tix for next year's SWCC. We'll see if the payment goes through or if there are any other dumb ticket system shenanigans to come.

Next year HAS to have some kind of come to Jesus admission from KK or whomever is in charge. Do a Feige-esque state of the franchise where they lay everything out on the table and preview everything that's to come.

Instead we'll probably end up just getting a TPM 20th anniversary retrospective...

Well, in 2020 they'll have to respond to Episode IX being handily beaten at the box office by Jumanji 3 so

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

multijoe posted:

I'm no big fan of Disney or their handling of the franchise, but nerds will latch onto any fantasy/sci-fi property regardless of its politics or ideology as long as its not overtly feminine/'SJW'. DS9 had a huge contingent of Gul Dukat Did Nothing Wrong fans and Elon Musk is apparently a massive fan of The Culture series

Things that make you go hmm.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And some of the racists attacking Star Wars actors are self declared alt-right DCEU fans doing so as "revenge" for Disney rigging rotten tomatoes.

So lovely people exist and are going to attach themselves to and attack franchises or perceived enemies, that is rarely the fault of the franchise.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Tell that to the Star Wars Kid. Where's the cause from the current fandom to vindicate him from the abuse he suffered?

Ghyslain Raza took a lot of poo poo too from the fandom in his day because of the Star Wars kid video. It sounds like he's taken it upon himself to help others who face bullying now. If I were to hear about some group of fans griefing him to this day, I'd react in the same way I am about the racist misogynistic bullshit directed to Tran.

poo poo needs to end, but probably never will.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

Ghyslain Raza took a lot of poo poo too from the fandom in his day because of the Star Wars kid video. It sounds like he's taken it upon himself to help others who face bullying now. If I were to hear about some group of fans griefing him to this day, I'd react in the same way I am about the racist misogynistic bullshit directed to Tran.

poo poo needs to end, but probably never will.

Probably dealt with a lot of bullying from day with a name like Ghyslain, that video was the straw that broke the camel's back. They should cast him in the Solo sequel as Maul's apprentice. lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

After years of being salty about it, I am now glad the special editions exist and have erased the originals. I’m for anything that makes Star Wars fans mad. They are bad and I wish them all Ill will.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

multijoe posted:

Star Trek is extremely not progressive. I’m not familiar with The Culture, but it sounds pretty much like Star Trek.

As a contrast, I haven’t seen any reactionary Elysium or Chappie fans.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Elysium is an overt Marxist power fantasy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't seen any Elysium or chappy fans

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hello I am chappie fan

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I like Elysium and Chappie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I haven't seen any Elysium or chappy fans

They are both good movies, OP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Chappie is my boy.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Star Trek is extremely not progressive. I’m not familiar with The Culture, but it sounds pretty much like Star Trek.

As a contrast, I haven’t seen any reactionary Elysium or Chappie fans.

Interesting that you say "extremely not progressive" and not "actually quite conservative". What is it to you exactly? Why is not explicitly conservative (or maybe it is)?

To me Star Trek has always come off as an atheist progressive's video bible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A show where the first interracial kiss took place is extremely not progressive.

You read it here first on the Something Awful Forums.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So is this what they're doing?

Qi'ra becomes Darth Maul's new apprentice (we're gonna be working together much more closely) so in the Obi Wan movie she's gonna be a midboss and possibly Obi Wan turns her back from the dark side? That about right? I miss anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, the fact that they won’t be doing that. There will never be a Solo sequel.