Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, it's absolute garbage and it's just mindblowing they think it's acceptable. It's also in a 35W configuration, so it's basically running below UHD 630 performance. It's super dumb and I can't figure out how they think it'll sell at that price. To be special it'd need to somehow fully use the IMC to feed the 512 GCN3 ALUs, it'd have to be capable of running both DDR4 and GDDR5 simultaneously, and it'd need an adequate cooling solution to run at full speed. Instead it's just an obnoxiously expensive, underpowered toy.

Now, this on the other hand might be worthwhile https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-bolt-raising-the-maker-world-to-the-next-leve

I wanted to chime in on this as say that I was a backer of their previous x86/arduino hybrid board, and they missed their ship date by 9 or 9 months, they didn't have some of the advertised features working like HDMI CEC (still not working completely correct), and their customer service is really really bad. My unit shipped without the screws for acrylic case that was included and it took them 7 months to even ship them (despite being repeatedly told that they had already shipped them or would that day). I know many other users had to wait months to get the antennas for their wifi modules.

Basically, I wouldn't trusty these clowns to deliver what they promise or on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I wonder what kind of heatsink it takes to passively cool 25W (alu vs cu).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Not much at all if there's some case airflow.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Seamonster posted:

I wonder what kind of heatsink it takes to passively cool 25W (alu vs cu).

https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/alpine-m1-passive.html This cools up to 35w apparently, I have one and it's enormous.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So while we computer enthusiasts find the Atari VCS dumb and stupid and why woul- It sold 2 million in preorders on the first day and crashed Indiegogo. I'm loving baffled but *grumbles* Fishmech was right(?)

What is interesting about this is they could still "fix" the Atari VCS since Bristol and Raven are socket compatible. A 2400GE and 4GB more of DDR4 @ 2933mhz would at least match if not sometimes beat the Xbox One S, while fitting into the same thermal envelope as the A12-9800E they intend to use. They still haven't finalized the design, that's still for Q3 2018 and 2 million in preorders means they actually have a loving market, it's not the Ouya again.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

So while we computer enthusiasts find the Atari VCS dumb and stupid and why woul- It sold 2 million in preorders on the first day and crashed Indiegogo. I'm loving baffled but *grumbles* Fishmech was right(?)

What is interesting about this is they could still "fix" the Atari VCS since Bristol and Raven are socket compatible. A 2400GE and 4GB more of DDR4 @ 2933mhz would at least match if not sometimes beat the Xbox One S, while fitting into the same thermal envelope as the A12-9800E they intend to use. They still haven't finalized the design, that's still for Q3 2018 and 2 million in preorders means they actually have a loving market, it's not the Ouya again.

quote:

“Hurry, while supplies last!” says the pre-order campaign
There are no "supplies". There is nothing yet, just words.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'd normally be all over a nostalgic Atari console -- and something about it is still kind of appealing to my inner child -- but I'm also old enough to know that crowdfunding something like this is a HUGE red flag. It's a method of raising money more suitable to DIY / vanity projects, not for a rollout of an ecosystem based on classic IP that will require ongoing support.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'd normally be all over a nostalgic Atari console -- and something about it is still kind of appealing to my inner child -- but I'm also old enough to know that crowdfunding something like this is a HUGE red flag. It's a method of raising money more suitable to DIY / vanity projects, not for a rollout of an ecosystem based on classic IP that will require ongoing support.

Atari games at this point? I am too old to be entertained by Joust or Pong.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Sounds a bit like an Ouya for nostalgics - instead of Android games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You'd think Atari would do what their history, Sony, and MS did... and use Jaguar. :rimshot:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Crosspost from the PC building thread. Please keep in mind that I'm in Canada before you start giving me links to US retailers.

Has anyone had any luck using RAM that's not on the official QVL to run at 3200mhz with a Ryzen 2000+ CPU?

Specifically, I'm about to pull the trigger on this motherboard:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/rpZ2FT/asus-tuf-b350m-plus-gaming-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-b350m-plus-gaming

The QVL for 3200mhz memory is here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...7108.1527885469

I'm looking at the following RAM kits:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/MYs8TW/team-night-hawk-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-tf1d416g3200hc16cdc01
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/ybrcCJ/gskill-tridentz-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzr

But none of these are on the list. The Trident's 3000mhz version is, but not the 3200mhz.

I know some people have luck getting RAM that's not on the QVL to run at 3200mhz but it's a gamble so I'm asking if anyone has been successful with these (or other) kits in a similar setup.

I'm open to any recommendations or suggestions for motherboard/RAM picks if they're confirmed to work at 3200mhz on Ryzen as well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Running 3200 on a B350 motherboard is tough as it is. Either buy X470 or wait for B450. Old first gen Ryzen motherboards are over.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Agreed, it's better to wait as B450 will likely debut along with the next wave of Pinnacle SKUs on June 5th.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I don't mind waiting a little bit. I keep seeing that B450 will be available Q3 2018. Hopefully I don't have to wait till the end of September... Do you think boards will be available shortly after the June 5 date?

Streak fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 1, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

You'd think Atari would do what their history, Sony, and MS did... and use Jaguar. :rimshot:

loving boooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Looks like AMD's computex keynote will unveil Fenghuang. TUM APISAK has one (he works at an OEM partner and has leaked reliable benchmarks several times previously)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 2, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Craptacular! posted:

Running 3200 on a B350 motherboard is tough as it is. Either buy X470 or wait for B450. Old first gen Ryzen motherboards are over.

I have a low-mid tier MSI motherboard that runs my B-die at 3333 with tight timings. Confirmed stable with 24 hours of Prime and a couple full passes of MemTest.

I’m merely saying that it’s not a pipe dream to overclock some on crappier boards.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looks like AMD's computex keynote will unveil Fenghuang. TUM APISAK has one.

Looks like 28CUs vs the 24 in Kaby Lake G. Also a pretty big memory frequency increase, although half the HBM.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looks like AMD's computex keynote will unveil Fenghuang. TUM APISAK has one (he's an AIB partner who has leaked reliable benchmarks several times previously)

Ya boy is thirsty for this one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Also a pretty big memory frequency increase, although half the HBM.

But everyone knows 3GB is too small for 1080p gaming in 2018 :rolleyes:

Guess we get to find out if HBCC can really "increase the size of the VRAM" in titles that aren't mismanaging their memory. It'll be fine either way though, 2GB is still alright especially for the esports that most people really play on these. Some AAA titles will probably need to run at medium textures, oh well.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 2, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Guess we get to find out if HBCC can really "increase the size of the VRAM" in titles that aren't mismanaging their memory. It'll be fine either way though, 2GB is still alright especially for the esports that most people really play on these. Some AAA titles will probably need to run at medium textures, oh well.

The big difference is that the fallback mode for a dGPU is the PCI-E bus instead of (hopefully) dual channel DDR4. This could be a big step towards making mid-range APUs price competitive, but it remains to be seen if AMD can stick the landing.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, this is my key interest point with this, the first real-world use case for HBCC. Well that, and the price - there's plenty of room beneath Kaby-G.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I thought we already learned that HBCC didn't do much if anything?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

In the lead-up to the Ryzen 2X00 release, I had planned to replace my 1700 with a 2700, and put the 1700 in a partial build that I had put on hold. But some life stuff came up, and I had to put that cash elsewhere for a couple months. Yesterday I decided to finish out the build, but to just keep my desktop as-is and slot a 1X00 into the second machine. My local microcenter had restocked, and had 10+ R5 1600s at $150, so I snagged one of those.

Now I have 28 threads, in two machines, crunching WorldComputeGrid workunits 24/7. Two years ago that would have cost me, what, $2500 in Intel CPUs? Total CPU outlay here: $450. Since neither of these machines is a gaming rig, I'll probably keep their mobos and memory and swap out CPUs when the Zen2s arrive.

Finally, it looks like the continued BIOS and/or kernel upgrades have improved performance under Linux. When I first rebuilt my desktop with the 1700, all cores were running at their base clock of 3.0GHz. Yesterday after initial install, I checked the speeds of the 1600s cores, and the kernel was reporting 3.4GHz. I thought I remembered (and Wikipedia confirmed) that the base clock of a 1600 was 3.2GHz -- but the all-cores boost clock is 3.4GHz, and the CPU is continuing to run at that speed even after about 18 hours of 100% utilization. The reason I think this is due to BIOS/kernel improvements is that my 1700 is now running all threads at 3.2GHz, which it definitely was not doing before. I'll take it.

Edit: interestingly, the 1600 is running all cores at 3393MHz, with just fractional clock differences. The 1700 has a bit more of a spread: 6 cores at 3193MHz, 1 core at 3187MHz, and 1 core at 3184MHz.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 3, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pubg definitely needs 4gb for High textures, I've run it through a few sampling runs and you'll start seeing the vram commit creeping up to the 3gb mark a few min in before it goes over, starts dumping in to ram and becomes a stuttery mess. That game has dogshit memory management though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

mdxi posted:

In the lead-up to the Ryzen 2X00 release, I had planned to replace my 1700 with a 2700, and put the 1700 in a partial build that I had put on hold. But some life stuff came up, and I had to put that cash elsewhere for a couple months. Yesterday I decided to finish out the build, but to just keep my desktop as-is and slot a 1X00 into the second machine. My local microcenter had restocked, and had 10+ R5 1600s at $150, so I snagged one of those.

Now I have 28 threads, in two machines, crunching WorldComputeGrid workunits 24/7. Two years ago that would have cost me, what, $2500 in Intel CPUs? Total CPU outlay here: $450. Since neither of these machines is a gaming rig, I'll probably keep their mobos and memory and swap out CPUs when the Zen2s arrive.

Well? Show us some sweet graphs of these monsters in action :D

mdxi posted:

Finally, it looks like the continued BIOS and/or kernel upgrades have improved performance under Linux. When I first rebuilt my desktop with the 1700, all cores were running at their base clock of 3.0GHz. Yesterday after initial install, I checked the speeds of the 1600s cores, and the kernel was reporting 3.4GHz. I thought I remembered (and Wikipedia confirmed) that the base clock of a 1600 was 3.2GHz -- but the all-cores boost clock is 3.4GHz, and the CPU is continuing to run at that speed even after about 18 hours of 100% utilization. The reason I think this is due to BIOS/kernel improvements is that my 1700 is now running all threads at 3.2GHz, which it definitely was not doing before. I'll take it.

Edit: interestingly, the 1600 is running all cores at 3393MHz, with just fractional clock differences. The 1700 has a bit more of a spread: 6 cores at 3193MHz, 1 core at 3187MHz, and 1 core at 3184MHz.

Have you tried overclocking? You're leaving a significant amount of performance on the table if you don't. My 1700 gets to 4.0GHz on 1.275V with 2x16GB ECC B-die at DDR4-2933 CL16. That's about ~30% more clock speed, to say nothing of the effects of high speed memory. The ECC RAM gets noisy throwing errors when I try to drive the DIMMs or the memory controller too hard, so it's easy to figure out how far you can push it.

A cool dude wrote a script (https://github.com/r4m0n/ZenStates-Linux) that lets us overclock at runtime on Linux like Windows users can with the Ryzen Master app. I find it both easier and more reliable than trying to work around some of the overclocking-related UEFI bugs on my system. It won't do anything with RAM speed or timings though, so get those settings dialed in with the UEFI.
code:
$ sudo zenstates.py -l
P0 - Enabled - FID = A0 - DID = 8 - VID = 2C - Ratio = 40.00 - vCore = 1.27500
P1 - Enabled - FID = B4 - DID = A - VID = 3A - Ratio = 36.00 - vCore = 1.18750
P2 - Enabled - FID = D8 - DID = 10 - VID = 50 - Ratio = 27.00 - vCore = 1.05000
P3 - Disabled
P4 - Disabled
P5 - Disabled
P6 - Disabled
P7 - Disabled
C6 State - Package - Enabled
C6 State - Core - Enabled
$ sudo dmidecode -t memory | grep -E '(Manufacturer|Part|Speed)' | grep -v Unknown
	Speed: 2934 MT/s
	Manufacturer: Samsung
	Part Number: M391A2K43BB1-CRC    
	Configured Clock Speed: 1467 MT/s
	Speed: 2934 MT/s
	Manufacturer: Samsung
	Part Number: M391A2K43BB1-CRC    
	Configured Clock Speed: 1467 MT/s
I have a systemd unit that'll enable my overclock settings at boot:
code:
$ cat /etc/systemd/system/overclock.service 
[Unit]
Description=Configure CPU overclock

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/overclock --enable
ExecStop=/usr/local/sbin/overclock --disable

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
$ cat /usr/local/sbin/overclock
#!/bin/bash

ZENSTATES="/usr/local/sbin/zenstates.py"

while [[ $# -gt 0 ]]
do
case $1 in
  -e|--enable)
# Overclocked values:
# P0 - Enabled - FID = A0 - DID = 8  - VID = 2C - Ratio = 40.00 - vCore = 1.27500
# P1 - Enabled - FID = B4 - DID = A  - VID = 3A - Ratio = 36.00 - vCore = 1.18750
# P2 - Enabled - FID = D8 - DID = 10 - VID = 50 - Ratio = 27.00 - vCore = 1.05000
  P0="-p0 -f a0 -d 8  -v 2c"
  P1="-p1 -f b4 -d a  -v 3a"
  P2="-p2 -f d8 -d 10 -v 50"
  shift
  ;;
  -d|--disable)
# Original values:
# P0 - Enabled - FID = 78 - DID = 8  - VID = 3A - Ratio = 30.00 - vCore = 1.18750
# P1 - Enabled - FID = 87 - DID = A  - VID = 50 - Ratio = 27.00 - vCore = 1.05000
# P2 - Enabled - FID = 7C - DID = 10 - VID = 6C - Ratio = 15.50 - vCore = 0.87500
  P0="-p0 -f 78 -d 8  -v 3a"
  P1="-p1 -f 87 -d a  -v 50"
  P2="-p2 -f 7c -d 10 -v 6c"
  shift
  ;;
  *)
  echo fart!
  exit 1
  ;;
esac
done

$ZENSTATES $P0
$ZENSTATES $P1
$ZENSTATES $P2

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 5, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Gee, there's (probably unfounded) rumors about more than 16 cores for the upcoming Threadripper.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-threadripper-2-moar-cores

While that'd be hilarious, it'd make latency worse, since it'd imply activating the other two dies, halving direct die to die bandwidth.

--edit:
Holy crap, that upcoming X399 Creation board from MSI is loving gaudy.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 5, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gee, there's (probably unfounded) rumors about more than 16 cores for the upcoming Threadripper.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-threadripper-2-moar-cores

While that'd be hilarious, it'd make latency worse, since it'd imply activating the other two dies, halving direct die to die bandwidth.

--edit:
Holy crap, that upcoming X399 Creation board from MSI is loving gaudy.

AMD should just rebrand an 32 Core Epyc part to ThreadRipper ( which it probably is ) and call it a day.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If I recall correctly Epyc already uses sTR4, so they probably could straightforwardly hack together a 32-core "Threadripper" which would just be a full four-die Epyc instead of the 2-die+2-shim thing they're doing now. My main concern with that would be increased NUMA issues - we already have two channels connected to one die and two connected to the other, are we going to come up with a new memory controller design that connects one channel to each die or are we going to just tack on two new dies and force them to go through the first two for all memory accesses? I probably don't need to elaborate that each of those two approaches has some nasty performance implications.

The alternative would be to use a >8 core die but that doesn't exist yet and I don't know that it's actually a good idea to go past 8 cores on the mainstream models yet. You could also go from four memory channels to eight but then you're just straight up selling Epyc as a consumer product and you'll need all new motherboards, I assume.

e: 1 die != 1 CCX

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 5, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

There was a video a while back where someone tried to get an Epyc to work in a TR4 socket.

It is physically compatible but there is differences in the memory controller that prevent it from booting.

So it is very possible for AMD to roll out a 32 core TR.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

SamDabbers posted:

Well? Show us some sweet graphs of these monsters in action :D

There's not really a lot to show, but here's some relevant WCG screenshots:

SamDabbers posted:

Have you tried overclocking?

No. I'm running them at 100% utilization 24/7, and they're hot enough and drawing enough power as it is. Maybe this winter!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
So apparently Z490 was preemptively aborted due to shortage of PCI Plex chips if you were like me and holding off on X470.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Xae posted:

There was a video a while back where someone tried to get an Epyc to work in a TR4 socket.

It is physically compatible but there is differences in the memory controller that prevent it from booting.

So it is very possible for AMD to roll out a 32 core TR.

I don't think this will happen until 7nm but hey more power to them. Once 7nm TR does hit though and you've got 64 threads @ ~5 ghz holy shiiiiiiiiiitt

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The problem with a 32-core Threadripper on the current set of boards, or probably any upcoming board (due to routing complexity), is that only two dies will have access to memory. The others would be accessing memory by proxy. The current Threadrippers have double bandwidth between the two dies, that one will also go missing, the second channel would make a stop over one of the two additional dies. For creative stuff, a 32-core one on Zen+ would probably be awesome. But that's about it. Also, +33% TDP doesn't make up for double the cores.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

The problem with a 32-core Threadripper
is that the only people who need a 32-core processor are the people who AMD would rather sell higher-priced Epyc server chips to.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The problem with a 32-core Threadripper on the current set of boards, or probably any upcoming board (due to routing complexity), is that only two dies will have access to memory. The others would be accessing memory by proxy. The current Threadrippers have double bandwidth between the two dies, that one will also go missing, the second channel would make a stop over one of the two additional dies. For creative stuff, a 32-core one on Zen+ would probably be awesome. But that's about it. Also, +33% TDP doesn't make up for double the cores.

I'd imagine most of the problems that benefit from more than 16 full x86-64 cores and can't be trivially done better on a GPU are not going to be memory bound anyway.

Seeing as threadripper is essentially EPYC with two dead dies, it is definitely possible for 32 core threadripper to be a thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Doubt it's 24C/32C, probably just extra TDP headroom for higher turbos.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Eyes Only posted:

I'd imagine most of the problems that benefit from more than 16 full x86-64 cores and can't be trivially done better on a GPU are not going to be memory bound anyway.
Computational Fluid Dynamics. You always want more cores than you've got but it's also massively memory bandwidth bound.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pablo Bluth posted:

Computational Fluid Dynamics. You always want more cores than you've got but it's also massively memory bandwidth bound.

CFD is still strongly single thread limited. Not nearly as badly as most things, but it's often better to have 10 cores at 5ghz vs. 20 cores at 3ghz. Some code sets scale very nicely, where each extra proc gives you 0.97x the previous performance, some code is poo poo and gives you only 0.71x. In some specific cases, it's better to run the code on some hilariously OC'd HEDT proc vs. putting it on the shiny new 90 core quad socket server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The CFD software I use includes a lot of combustion and thermal radiation calculations. At the start of the simulation it is usually heavily memory bound until there is a lot of movement in the model then it tends to be heavily cpu bound. At least I think that's correct as recently I found out the cpu load reporting includes treating a cpu as busy with cache miss and the cpu is halted waiting for a memory read.