Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Everything about the Institute is incredibly dumb

Other than all of their aluminium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe the mayor had already been replaced by a synth when he kicked out the ghouls so he's let Nick stay for reasons. Also McDonough knows he is a synth and wants to become a courser and that is amusing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe the mayor had already been replaced by a synth when he kicked out the ghouls so he's let Nick stay for reasons. Also McDonough knows he is a synth and wants to become a courser and that is amusing.

My recollection seems to be wrong reading the wiki, McDonough ran for office on a no-ghouls platform

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Nick was around since before McDonough, he saved the previous mayor's daughter and was from a town before Gen 3s were even a thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wolfsheim posted:

Nick was around since before McDonough, he saved the previous mayor's daughter and was from a town before Gen 3s were even a thing.

Nick is over a hundred years old, if Dima bis anything to go by. Gen 3s only started appearing in the last seventy years due to being based off of Shaun's template. The broken mask incident took place in 2229 which was the first time diamond city encountered a Gen 3. McDonough was elected in 2282, so there's plenty of time for him to be replaced before his campaign started.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 5, 2018

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i just hated how retardedly scripted everything is

you must fight kellogg

there is no negotiation between the factions

the minutemen have to take over sanctuary

glory has to die

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

All retconned in the dlc.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nick_Valentine

Please do not play this game to learn the story.

I've always wondered... why exactly were the original Nick Valentine's memories scanned pre-war? I... don't quite understand why something like that was done in the first place, and it was a plot thread I was hoping Fallout 4 would bring up again and elaborate on, but they never really did.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

toasterwarrior posted:

Bethesda's attempts to use urgency never works, because it always clashes with their modern open-world design. Morrowind straight up wouldn't let you start the main quest until you had some levels under your belt, even.
:goonsay: It doesn't, actually. Caius tells you to come back when you're more seasoned, but you can just pester him another time and start the quest right then. What Morrowind does do extremely well is craft a villain who is operating on a different timescale. There's no rush, no urgency to defeat Dagoth Ur, because he isn't right on the verge of success—he's just winning, and he's had the upper hand for a decade by the time you show up on the scene.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

All retconned in the dlc.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nick_Valentine

Please do not play this game to learn the story.

gently caress i can't believe i forgot about that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I can't hate on Fallout 4 because when Kellogg says "Let's talk" you can immediately shoot him in the face with a Fat Man.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
fallout 4s combat, fallout 3s environmental asthetic, new vegas' quests and characters in a new engine thats pretty

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've always wondered... why exactly were the original Nick Valentine's memories scanned pre-war? I... don't quite understand why something like that was done in the first place, and it was a plot thread I was hoping Fallout 4 would bring up again and elaborate on, but they never really did.

Nick Valentine was a real detective who, right before the War, was involved in a high profile mobster investigation that resulted in his girlfriend/fiancé being murdered to try and stop his investigation. Some other people knew this was going to happen but were prevented from doing anything so they didn't screw up a separate investigation that was being conducted at the same time. Nick some how found out about this and became really, really angry and bitter (as dicks in noir stories are wont to do) and one of his colleagues suggested he try a new form of therapy being developed by MIT using the memory loungers we later find in Goodneighbor. His brain scans are later picked up by the Institute and used when they were developing the new Nick Valentine for whatever reason.

You find some details about this scattered around the BADTFL offices, in the Eddie Winter holotapes and later with Valentine's loyalty quest.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I played some fallout 4 last night. My character is around level 35 and I haven't even progressed the minutemen quest enough to have them show up in sanctuary. I've done just enough railroad quests to get ballistic weave. It was worth it for extra defense on the atom cats jacket which also helps get my luck to 15+.

Collecting garbage and finding places I haven't found before is always pretty fun.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

buglord posted:

What do you guys think the next poorly received macguffin will be for fallout 5 for whatever

I really hope they go a more New Vegas route with it.

Sure, there was an overarching goal in New Vegas, but it was motivated by a personal need to find out who tried to kill you and why. If you didn't care about that and thought "maybe I'm just happy to be alive", you were just some guy wandering around and helping/hurt the locals as you saw fit. There wasn't a true urgency to the main goal, but it was always there in the background.

That kind of thing works best when telling open-world narratives, because its almost impossible to *create* a sense of urgency without also making your player feel like they're being railroaded.

Skyrim sort of had this problem, but it was at least mitigated somewhat by the fact that you didn't have to go talk to the greybeards and learn about the coming end of the world if you decided not to. And even once you did, the idea of you needing to come into your own as the Dragonborn to stand a chance at least gave a thin excuse as to why you wouldn't just beeline through the main narrative.

Breath of the Wild had a similar concept. Ganon is right there. You can literally see him from the starting location, and you can run right up to him and start a fight if you really want to, but the entire game is built around the idea that he will kick your rear end into next week if you don't remember how to be a hero, so all the questing and exploration is you "re-learning" how to be an adventurer and hero. Once you feel you're ready, you go for it.

In Fallout 4, you are immediately given the impetus to your quest, like in BotW and, to a lesser extent, New Vegas, but in this case there's no good reason given in-narrative for you to not immediately follow the trail to find your son. It makes no narrative sense to do anything else because you're playing the parent of a newborn child. You have to actively ignore that to do anything else, and it breaks narrative immersion immediately.

Fallout 3 had a similar problem, but not as pronounced. Basically Bethesda needs to let go of "I need to find *FamilyMember*!" and stop trying to make the personal stakes for the protagonist so high. The protagonist should be some random chump that slowly gets reeled into the area's politics and faction in-fighting. The protagonist should be Mad Max in Fury Road: technically the protagonist, but not actually the hero of their own narrative. Someone there to help out or make things worse and then ride off to the next adventure, building a legend at the same time. Bethesda seems to think they need huge, personal emotional stakes in their Fallout games and that's exactly wrong. Strangely, the usual Elder Scrolls thing of "you have to save the universe from total destruction" works better for their style of game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ComposerGuy posted:

In Fallout 4, you are immediately given the impetus to your quest, like in BotW and, to a lesser extent, New Vegas, but in this case there's no good reason given in-narrative for you to not immediately follow the trail to find your son. It makes no narrative sense to do anything else because you're playing the parent of a newborn child. You have to actively ignore that to do anything else, and it breaks narrative immersion immediately.

In the past few hours I watched a world-ending nuclear war start, my spouse get killed, my child taken away by unknown individuals, and then I step out into a destroyed world.

Everything's going to burn.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sinteres posted:

Honestly talking about the Fallout games made me nostalgic enough to play Skyrim again and it was better than I remembered. Bethesda should farm out Fallout to someone who can do it justice and stick to what they're good at.

Skyrim gave me a lot of hope for Fallout 4. They seemed to copy New Vegas's formula a bit and actually gave us two factions that had proper shades of grey morality in the Legion and Stormcloaks. They are really good at environmental story telling as well as most quest lines being interesting in the moment, where as Fallout 3 and 4 both have a lot of head smacking stupid writing. If they put the love and care into Fallout that they did Skyrim/Morrowind I think Fallout would be a lot better for it, even if it will never again capture the feel of 1/2/NV.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Skyrim gave me a lot of hope for Fallout 4. They seemed to copy New Vegas's formula a bit and actually gave us two factions that had proper shades of grey morality in the Legion and Stormcloaks. They are really good at environmental story telling as well as most quest lines being interesting in the moment, where as Fallout 3 and 4 both have a lot of head smacking stupid writing. If they put the love and care into Fallout that they did Skyrim/Morrowind I think Fallout would be a lot better for it, even if it will never again capture the feel of 1/2/NV.

Not really, one side is the current ruler who pissed off a bunch of nord hicks because they denounce their god to stop a world war with nazi elves, the other side a bunch racist nord hicks who are secretly controlled by the nazi elves.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Back Hack posted:

Not really, one side is the current ruler who pissed off a bunch of nord hicks because they denounce their god to stop a world war with nazi elves, the other side a bunch racist nord hicks who are secretly controlled by the nazi elves.

We had a thread for several years dedicated to which side is better. Regardless of who you think is better/more justified, the fact that we had a thread about it as long as we did shows that Bethesda did something right.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Back Hack posted:

"Asset" does not mean "agent."

Also, you left out the part where the empire wasn't really bothering with hunting Talos worshippers, that only started happening after the rebellion started.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

We had a thread for several years dedicated to which side is better. Regardless of who you think is better/more justified, the fact that we had a thread about it as long as we did shows that Bethesda did something right.

Yeah, it's very obvious the Empire was right. Glad we agree.

Less jokey despite all the poo poo people can say about Skyrim the fact people are still debating the Empire/Stormcloak stuff says it's probably the best bit of writing Bethesda has ever done.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Back Hack posted:

Not really, one side is the current ruler who would rather suck Thalmor cock than help their own people, the other side a bunch racist nord hicks who are secretly controlled by the nazi elves.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i never feel the need to immediately go and finish a game's main quest because it's a video game and no one's actually in any danger

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taerkar posted:

Everything's going to burn.

... Just as soon as I finish turning sanctuary hills into a theme park dedicated to mocking a drug addict

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

i never feel the need to immediately go and finish a game's main quest because it's a video game and no one's actually in any danger

Way to pierce the veil.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, it's very obvious the Empire was right. Glad we agree.

Less jokey despite all the poo poo people can say about Skyrim the fact people are still debating the Empire/Stormcloak stuff says it's probably the best bit of writing Bethesda has ever done.

I’d put Far Harbor, Tribunal, and the Oblivion dark brotherhood up there as well. They’ve got talent. They just don’t focus on it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Everything about the Institute is incredibly dumb

Todd Howard watched Blade Runner one night, and the entire writing team had to frantically work backwards from there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fintilgin posted:

Todd Howard watched Blade Runner one night, and the entire writing team had to frantically work backwards from there.

“Are we robots? How do we know? Guys, write it! Include lasers!”

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the synths sit at the back of the bus, for you see,

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sinteres posted:

Way to pierce the veil.

Games could do a better job too.

Oh no, he's been poisoned! You need to go kill the swamp witch for the antidote, but hurry he's only got minutes to live! 27 in game months later you stumble across him again and finally remember what that antidote vial you've been carting around for the last 73 hours of gameplay was for and turn in the quest.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fintilgin posted:

I could forgive the Bethesda writing team if they were just idiots or bad writers.

But I think the true answer is that they're not idiots or bad writers, they just literally don't give a poo poo, are utterly indifferent to story as anything but an excuse for theme park set pieces, and have an active, aggressive contempt for the intelligence of their audience. Which is actually worse then being well-meaning idiots or dumb, fan-fic quality 'writers'.

No, Bioware went down the same hole. Good game writing is apparently really hard and all the people who could do it right quit a few years ago.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Azhais posted:

... Just as soon as I finish turning sanctuary hills into a theme park dedicated to mocking a drug addict

Hey, you burn the world your way and I'll burn it my way.

By building motels everywhere

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Oh god, gentrification!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

AlternateAccount posted:

No, Bioware went down the same hole. Good game writing is apparently really hard and all the people who could do it right quit a few years ago.

I remember reading that being a game writer(that is not also a developer) is really difficult because in most projects the story needs to exist around the gameplay and its setpieces, and not the other way around. Which makes sense, I guess, but doesn't lend itself well to well made stories.

While it's a bit of a shame the writing in the later Bethesda games is so lacking, I'm not exactly disappointed since it's pretty clear they never actually bothered making a great story, they have their focus elsewhere. There are genres to go for if you want good writing, and first person action RPG's are not one of them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chaosapiant posted:

They are really good at environmental story telling

You know, people say that about Bethesda a lot but I just don't think it's true. Visually interesting environments sure, but almosy all the environmental storytelling (at least in Bethesda's Fallouts) is skeletons in various humorous poses.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
pc question:

the steam version of fallout 3 goty is rotten with gfwl, right? instead i wanna get the gog.com version, yeah?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

pc question:

the steam version of fallout 3 goty is rotten with gfwl, right? instead i wanna get the gog.com version, yeah?

I don't remember, but you might as well buy the Steam version of FONV Ultimate and combine the FO3 files into FONV and run Tale of Two Wastelands instead. Get the best of both worlds and you don't actually ever run FO3, you only copy/paste the data files.

Regardless of how you do it, I recommend getting the 4gb patch mod as well as the stutter stop mod.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 5, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it was a sweet gesture that Shaun gives you a second chance to be a family with "him" but hosed up that unless you're paying attention around the Institute you wouldn't even realize that synth Shaun doesn't age. way to sell me a lemon, son, if I wanted an immortal mental adolescent I already have Strong

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Autism Sneaks posted:

it was a sweet gesture that Shaun gives you a second chance to be a family with "him" but hosed up that unless you're paying attention around the Institute you wouldn't even realize that synth Shaun doesn't age. way to sell me a lemon, son, if I wanted an immortal mental adolescent I already have Strong

We'll, they put so much effort into making synth!Shawn so they could punk you with him, it'd be a shame to just throw him away afterwards.

That's what gets me; his last act is to give you a synth (whom he believes is as sapient as a toster, mind) that he used to pull a ridiculous, pointless prank on you. The holotape he passes along for Father!Shawn might as well say:

"Hey DadMom, you remember when I tricked you into thinking this thing was me? Good times. Well, anyways, I'm probably dead by now, so I think you should keep it. Y'know, something to remember me by. Like a teddy bear, but one of those ones with the pullstrings that repeats canned phrases when you pull it, because really, that's all synths are. Ciao!"

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 5, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

We'll, they put so much effort into making synth!Shawn so they could punk you with him, it'd be a shame to just throw him away afterwards.

You know, I've never played a black character in Fallout, do they make a black android Shaun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yes.