Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dizz posted:

you guys are upset that the devs can't port backwards compatibility but not cheating prevention?

The online battler has as much cheat prevention as you would need, and anything that's not online battling couldn't possibly matter less wrt cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I just bought ultra sun because I want them fancy new ultra beasts to fill out my living dex and have a fun new Pokémon adventure

But then it turns out it’s 90% just sun again

I was expecting a B2W2 setup

I’m mostly disappointed in myself for not doing more research

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Sockser posted:

I just bought ultra sun because I want them fancy new ultra beasts to fill out my living dex and have a fun new Pokémon adventure

But then it turns out it’s 90% just sun again

I was expecting a B2W2 setup

I’m mostly disappointed in myself for not doing more research

90% the same + objectively worse because it lacks this:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I'm trying to go through Ultra Moon but it's just too similar to be very motivating. Had it since release and I'm somewhere on the second island and blergh

Those spacemen are cool though and I like the big pokemon

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's a shame GF keep doing third versions, I hoped they had stopped with Platinum, since DP had a lot of problems that needed to be fixed that they thankfully did, but I didn't feel like SM had any huge glaring issues that required two games to fix it. And then they say that XY was 100% complete, perfectly fine by itself, no fixes needed. Doesn't seem too legit.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's disappointing that I find the story in regular SuMo to be so much better than the story in USUM.

The positive changes are the addition of the photo club, Totem stickers and interacting with the overworld pokemon. Those are all great.

However, I far preferred Lusamine as the villain and everything that came with that.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Spare Zygarde codes from GameStop, just post if/when you claim one:

A832-M8CG-NRJN-KCG3
A832-M8DL-FWX5-5WEX
A832-M85K-8Z8H-WY5Y

Also got a couple spare Yveltal/Xerneas codes:

A825-35M6-237A-TYG5
A825-4DYY-76ZM-NDPK

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hangedman1984 posted:

A832-M8CG-NRJN-KCG3
Claimed this top one, thanks a bunch! Literally just came down with a head cold two days ago so I really appreciate not having to interact with humans :shobon:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nessa posted:

It's disappointing that I find the story in regular SuMo to be so much better than the story in USUM.

The positive changes are the addition of the photo club, Totem stickers and interacting with the overworld pokemon. Those are all great.

However, I far preferred Lusamine as the villain and everything that came with that.

Mother Beast Lusamine is so much of a cooler final form than Ultra Necrozma that it isn't even funny. Hell, regular space alien Necrozma is the best and was way better than turning into an even uglier Reshiram.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Crosspeice posted:

It's a shame GF keep doing third versions, I hoped they had stopped with Platinum, since DP had a lot of problems that needed to be fixed that they thankfully did, but I didn't feel like SM had any huge glaring issues that required two games to fix it. And then they say that XY was 100% complete, perfectly fine by itself, no fixes needed. Doesn't seem too legit.

Considering the Zygarde forms, it feels like they were planning on making some kind of Z version before they just decided to move on.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

hangedman1984 posted:

A832-M85K-8Z8H-WY5Y

Grabbed this one since I wont be able to make it to my "local" GS anytime soon so thanks!

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

A832-M8DL-FWX5-5WEX

Snagging this one thank you!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Farfetch'd getting an evolution just seems kind of wrong to me. Like the thing's whole deal is that you expected something great for a trade and you get this duck who's mostly useless past the halfway point, no help against the gym leader in the city you get him from, and is a metaphor for something that comes with its own meal ingredients.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

Spare Zygarde codes from GameStop, just post if/when you claim one:

A832-M8CG-NRJN-KCG3
A832-M8DL-FWX5-5WEX
A832-M85K-8Z8H-WY5Y

Also got a couple spare Yveltal/Xerneas codes:

A825-35M6-237A-TYG5
A825-4DYY-76ZM-NDPK

First code has already been claimed by someone else. I have claimed the second Zygarde code, thank you!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

farfetch'd is cool

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Farfetch'd getting an evolution just seems kind of wrong to me. Like the thing's whole deal is that you expected something great for a trade and you get this duck who's mostly useless past the halfway point, no help against the gym leader in the city you get him from, and is a metaphor for something that comes with its own meal ingredients.

But then you find one with a Stick in XY and it gets Slash, Night Slash, Air Cutter and you breed one with Leaf Blade and you get 50% crit ratios on all the moves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the voodoo doll that looks so happy about the pin in its body.:3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the voodoo doll that looks so happy about the pin in its body.:3:

"My entire existence is nothing but pain, but I don't know anything else, so therefore it's amazing."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kikas posted:

But then you find one with a Stick in XY and it gets Slash, Night Slash, Air Cutter and you breed one with Leaf Blade and you get 50% crit ratios on all the moves.

That still has only limited usefulness.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think the Farfetchd evo was going to be a ugly duckling/beautiful swan thing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dizz posted:

you guys are upset that the devs can't port backwards compatibility but not cheating prevention?

Cheating is so prevalent because all of the metagame poo poo involved with IV breeding is obnoxious. I have a hacked 6IV ditto, I will never complain about cheating in Pokemon because of how much time and effort that little fucker has saved me and I'm willing to deal with any amount of cheating other people want to do because of the convenience it's brought me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think the Farfetchd evo was going to be a ugly duckling/beautiful swan thing.

Yup, its name is even Madame.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Cheating is so prevalent because all of the metagame poo poo involved with IV breeding is obnoxious. I have a hacked 6IV ditto, I will never complain about cheating in Pokemon because of how much time and effort that little fucker has saved me and I'm willing to deal with any amount of cheating other people want to do because of the convenience it's brought me.

isn't it easy to loop dittos into a colossal chain by having them suicide forever? I heard you can get 6IV that way.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dizz posted:

isn't it easy to loop dittos into a colossal chain by having them suicide forever? I heard you can get 6IV that way.

That could be true but those words don't sound like anything that I have any idea what they mean, and I'm gonna guess that strategy hasn't been around since B/W when I got mine to start breeding for battlemons, much less since gen 3/4.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dizz posted:

Bulbapedia says the number of guaranteed perfect IVs maxes out at 4. The chances of any given Ditto in the chain after that having 6 perfect IVs are still tiny (1 in 1024) although you should be able to get a 5 IV one easy enough (approx 1 in 16). Haven't done the maths to work out how likely you are to get one with a useful combination of 5 IVs (i.e. excluding either Attack or Special Attack). Not sure if there's an easy way to tell within battle how many perfect IVs a summoned Ditto has. Possible to test speed IV and hidden power type, which maybe lets you know or make a good guess, but that's some work.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The thing I find funny about this new dex is that Qwilfish fits in perfectly with all the unused guys. In general while these unused guys may not be that great in a vacuum (though a few are better than their current versions, like the starters), it adds some intrigue to what was a very boring expansion to the pokedex. So many of Johto's native pokemon are so very forgettable, wheras I will probably never forget Bomb Seal.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gen 2 has the best designs overall. good stuff

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the gen 2 haters are Fools

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gen 2 will always have a place in my heart since the idea of even having any more mons after the originals was mind blowing to kid me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

Very, very good.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

absolutely anything posted:

the gen 2 haters are Fools

*nods*

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Setting the clock to night and the game actually being set at night, with owls and poo poo coming out of the woodwork, has to be one of my most mind-blowing Gamer Experiences

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Quality over quantity. I would rather have a new gen with 70 new mons that are as good as GSC's roster than another Sun/Moon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Quality over quantity. I would rather have a new gen with 70 new mons that are as good as GSC's roster than another Sun/Moon

Sun and moon only had about 70 new mons.

Also they were great, what the hell?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not to mention that Gen 2 is full of evolution lines that are rather unfinished, to be honest

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Qwilfish without it's evolution raises the question of why the hell it was even kept in.

It doesn't have Dunsparce's excuse of interesting design.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Half of Gen 2's designs are just more blobs. Its one of my least remembered sets, tbh.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe put your freaking glasses on !!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Gen II has some gems (Heracross, Espeon, Umbreon, Murkrow, Steelix, Forretress etc) some that were ruined by the transition to 3D models (rip Skarmory, Xatu), a bunch of bleh and the unforgivable crime that is Stantler, the worst pokemon, which condemns it to worst dex overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ROFL Octopus posted:

Setting the clock to night and the game actually being set at night, with owls and poo poo coming out of the woodwork, has to be one of my most mind-blowing Gamer Experiences

The worst part was hearing that R/S would keep the RTC function, but then completely neuter it in that nothing actually mattered other than berries and tides.

GSC's time-based changes and events were really awesome, and it made the old days of playing the GBC at night under the blankets with a mag-lite all the more fun. :kimchi:

The fact that there was planned to be a fourth time period (supposedly DARK) that would be even darker and maybe have a limited view range would've been neat to see. Imagine having a reason to use Flash more often than once or twice!