Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

extra stout posted:

Class balance patch #1 hits tomorrow, also includes other fixes and additions notes are here

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7841067#post7841067

Great, now I have to read the forums to figure out what to pick out on my Hunter again :(. And I bet my legacies should be changed again, buy hey, just buy scrolls on the store!

Well, whenever I play again that is. Still haven't played Mordor, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Here's my Mordor synopsis: it's hard, it's ugly, it's confusing, and it's fundamentally unfair.

It's hard- you need to get lots of light of earandil gear to negate the Mordor debuff, which takes some time. Mob density is ridiculous. Mobs also will chase you halfway across the map. Quests take a long time to complete compared to previous content.

It's ugly- yeah, it's Mordor, but so far there's been lava filled area 1, lava filled area 2 and lava filled area with spiders. I'm really longing for northern mirkwood at this point. And all this lava crap and mob density makes riding your warhorse difficult.

It's confusing- figuring out the ashes of enchantment thing is weird, the alliance thing is another grind and the vendors area numerous and every one seems to sell a different thing.

It's fundamentally unfair- you will start getting lots of gogoroth lockboxes. You will not get keys for them until you are running instances at 115. So you can either get them from the store or wait til then. I also have yet to find any non-quest gear that's between 106-115, so you rely on quest rewards to get you through until you've ground your way through.

Alternatively, I played my guardian tonight through the lush fields of Rohan and had a lovely time.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

Here's my Mordor synopsis: it's hard, it's ugly, it's confusing, and it's fundamentally unfair.

It's hard- you need to get lots of light of earandil gear to negate the Mordor debuff, which takes some time. Mob density is ridiculous. Mobs also will chase you halfway across the map. Quests take a long time to complete compared to previous content.

It's ugly- yeah, it's Mordor, but so far there's been lava filled area 1, lava filled area 2 and lava filled area with spiders. I'm really longing for northern mirkwood at this point. And all this lava crap and mob density makes riding your warhorse difficult.

It's confusing- figuring out the ashes of enchantment thing is weird, the alliance thing is another grind and the vendors area numerous and every one seems to sell a different thing.

It's fundamentally unfair- you will start getting lots of gogoroth lockboxes. You will not get keys for them until you are running instances at 115. So you can either get them from the store or wait til then. I also have yet to find any non-quest gear that's between 106-115, so you rely on quest rewards to get you through until you've ground your way through.

Alternatively, I played my guardian tonight through the lush fields of Rohan and had a lovely time.
All of this is true. I'd also add that a lot of your experience depends on how much time you put in to your imbued legendary items - i.e. none if you level skipped or didn't have a character at cap before Mordor.

Honestly I'd recommend at the point you run out of patience just running through the Black Book until it takes you to Northern Mirkwood, at which point you'll get some outstanding gear as quest rewards and can go back. In a few months the level cap goes up and if you outlevel the content Mordor should be much less painful.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
drat. I was hoping this far after Mordor's release it would have been tweaked a bit.

My LIs are in good shape (at least for pre-Mordor). I don't have a bunch of extra saved though in the bank to be able to just pump it up to max with the new stuff that's been unlocked since I last played.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Grab the +12 radiance token from the black book asap. Of course it has you running around middle Earth for no reason but eventually you can get it and it will help mitigate some of the debuff in Mordor. Getting a couple extra levels before entering and getting finesse gear helps as well. It's still a poo poo show depending on your class, but there you go.

The patch somehow hosed my Captain up- whereas I could tank 2-3 mobs in Mordor before, now they kill me in about 10 seconds due to low healing. Sounds like other healing classes got shafted too.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 5, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't blow his Horn of the Dwarrowdelf every 15 minutes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lotro has a rich history of balance changes being tuned for the latest content at max level only, while completely loving up earlier levels.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

On the other hand, it looked like the changes improved Guardian damage output and the dwarf appearance update has gone in since I last had a go, so started a new character to get bored with after a week.

If you actually buy the trait point slots, is it better to go yellow line for soloing so you can use a two-hander and still block?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The next several quests of the 'lay of rust and rime' saga are now live

I think most guardians level in redline but I'll need to talk to some or read the patch notes again as of this week (the balance patch)

edit

And regarding hunter changes don't believe the babby class and their complaints. Hunters still are crushing dps charts in raids as of yesterday and today.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After over 30 levels my RK finally got defeated. I was running around in Agamaur looking for "gaunt protectors" and took on a named mob around my level that was too tough for me. Styggur? Screw that guy.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

extra stout posted:

And regarding hunter changes don't believe the babby class and their complaints. Hunters still are crushing dps charts in raids as of yesterday and today.

Yeah, feels pretty OK now that I’ve worked out rotation (need to add quick shot in now is main trick). About my only annoyances at moment with it are how slow it feels to do Barbed Arrow (which sucks considering blue is supposed to use it a bunch) and if you hit Barrage twice the second level of the increased damage buff stays on waaaaay longer than five seconds like the initial Barrage buff does, which makes it a pain when I’m on new mob and can’t use Barrage at all for a while lest I trigger the 30 second cooldown. Be nice if the boost either wore off when out of combat or I had some way to dump it manually so I could use the non-cooldown levels of Barrage in a new fight.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Meanwhile, my red line hunter, who was already sufficiently geared that he was in pretty good shape, is absolutely destroying mobs. Upshot doesn't suck, finally, and Quick Shot is SO FAST now. Plus with the various increased bleeds and 100% exsanguinate chance dots finally feel worth it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I was one shotting mobs with my red Hunter through the lone lands- easy to grind those Slayer deeds.

I started using my Captain with the mitigation herald and stopped dying so quickly in Mordor, and actually was killing things relatively fast. I'm still squishier than I was but overall it's good. Redline is still way too easy to die, but at least I can play now.

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
Anyone know if you can get Pukel man housing stuff anywhere?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Do they still do the 75% off sales? Kinda want to give this another shot but drat that barrier of entry for expansions is high.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The biggest deals are usually in November for Black Friday, but historically there's some decent discounts during a summer sale. You can also buy keys from third parties who stock up during the sales for a good price. For example, I missed out buying the quad pack for $10 during a sale but picked it up for $16 from this reseller: https://cheappunk.com/products/lord-of-the-rings-online-quad-pack

You might find better deals if you search but also keep in mind the risk involved and make sure you verify that they're reputable first. Or just wait until November and buy straight from the developer.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

I could use an invite to the kinship, name is Apathe

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sgbyou posted:

I could use an invite to the kinship, name is Apathe

Didn't see you on when I logged, let me know when a good time is and I'll hop on

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

extra stout posted:

Didn't see you on when I logged, let me know when a good time is and I'll hop on

Somebody already got me, thanks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Follow in Frodo's Footsteps 20% off now through June 28th:
Quest Packs
The 100% XP Boosts
Mithril Coins
Max Morale & Power Scrolls
The Weekly Coupon gets you +5000 Enhanced Reputation Supply x1 with coupon code MOREREP now through June 28th!

The coupon code is the best I've seen since the last free black steel key, use it!

Also there are now new quatermasters for featured instances, so if you're trying to gear at 115 and the Northern Kingdoms content is hard for you or even Mordor is hard for you, get it. Not a super exciting month for the game, but a great chance to get caught up while they work on the Grey Mountains update. Also there's a new fancy Felegoth elk also using the new coin from the featured instances, the new currency is 'the newfound coin'.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I was waiting for mithril coins to go on sale to buy this thing https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Expedient_Traveller but it doesn't appear to be in the starting-zone mithril vendor's inventory. Is it available anywhere else? It was on sale in the cash shop a couple of weeks ago, but I skipped it thinking I could get a better deal via mithril coins

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There's a mithril trader in thorin's hall right next to Thorin I think.

I finally made it to 115 but have 6-7 more quests to be able to do allegiance dailies. Is it worth it (i.e. will this be another abandoned game system)?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

There's a mithril trader in thorin's hall right next to Thorin I think.

I finally made it to 115 but have 6-7 more quests to be able to do allegiance dailies. Is it worth it (i.e. will this be another abandoned game system)?

It's already an abandoned game system (and will be even more so when the cap becomes 120 in a few months), but the allegiance system contains some of the best writing/story in all of Mordor IMO and once you've gotten the huge rep gains from doing the Lost Lore deeds you'll need to do dailies to keep gaining rep. If you haven't already, be sure to at least switch between every allegiance (which you can do for free) and do the intro quest of each faction.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The summer instances are live, the picnic one scales to any level I believe but has some cool bugs still, the rift boss Thrang also scales, but gives new possibly best in slot jewelry at 115.

Ran it once on both characters, got the ilvl 345 jewelry each time (with the wrong stats) but you can trade them in the fellowship for something like 45 minutes from looting, as long as you don't equip it. They also drop summer tokens and some new Thrang tokens but I haven't seen what they barter for yet.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been playing my hunter and it's stupid how much easier the game is with an effective damage dealer.

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

Do expansions ever go on sale in the in-game Lotro Store? I need to buy Mordor but would like to save some Lotro points if possible.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If I buy the Quad Pack, Helms Deep and Mordor and play on a $15/mo sub, is there still stuff I have to purchase to be able to do everything? I can accept having to buy expansions but I'm not really interested in having to buy a ton of packs. Account was already oldschool created at launch.

I'd also be interested in raiding and doing dungeons on the regular and I'm assuming the best way into that is probably tanking or healing just like every other game. Guardian or Minstrel probably the best way to get into that stuff? I'll be coming in solo and hope to get in with a group as I go. I had a 50 guardian from way back before Moria that I'd probably remake. Or maybe captain so I could do all three roles and raid/dungeons as a buffer. People still like that stuff right?

Reading about what the game is like today has proven to be a challenge as well. I'm reading about 3 man content being what a lot of people run today? How does that even work? Seems like it doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room to get into groups since I'm assuming everyone will want Tank, Heals and whatever flavor of the month 3rd class. What does everyone who doesn't fall into those roles do?

Givin fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 5, 2018

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Rech posted:

Do expansions ever go on sale in the in-game Lotro Store? I need to buy Mordor but would like to save some Lotro points if possible.

They do, rarely. Usually Black Fridayish time of year. Mordor will have been out for a year so...maybe?

Givin posted:

If I buy the Quad Pack, Helms Deep and Mordor and play on a $15/mo sub, is there still stuff I have to purchase to be able to do everything? I can accept having to buy expansions but I'm not really interested in having to buy a ton of packs. Account was already oldschool created at launch.

I'd also be interested in raiding and doing dungeons on the regular and I'm assuming the best way into that is probably tanking or healing just like every other game. Guardian or Minstrel probably the best way to get into that stuff? I'll be coming in solo and hope to get in with a group as I go. I had a 50 guardian from way back before Moria that I'd probably remake. Or maybe captain so I could do all three roles and raid/dungeons as a buffer. People still like that stuff right?

Reading about what the game is like today has proven to be a challenge as well. I'm reading about 3 man content being what a lot of people run today? How does that even work? Seems like it doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room to get into groups since I'm assuming everyone will want Tank, Heals and whatever flavor of the month 3rd class. What does everyone who doesn't fall into those roles do?

Yes, you'll be good while you have the sub. If you let it lapse, you'll have a gap from about levels 30-40 that new characters will be unable to fill. Fortunately the Evendim quest pack will be easily purchased for ~600 points (You get 500/mo for being subscribed).

I don't do group content, but from what I've seen: Captain is actually always needed, because of the buffs they provide. Minstrel or Runekeeper for Heals (mostly the former) and Guardians for tanking.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
You can buy a key from a reseller for the Steely Dawn Pack that includes Evendim and 500 points for like $3. I'd suggest playing for free until 30, then buying the pack which will take you to 40 during which time you'll accumulate other points via deeds, and then spend points for whatever you want to get to 50 with. Then buy the quad pack to start Moria etc..

If you've never subbed then I'd do that for a month early on, maybe by 30 to get the quality of life unlocks. But either way buy Steely Dawn because $3 for 500 points is a good deal.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Givin posted:

The level cap is raising to level 120 with the Grey Mountains update, and will include new instances in maybe 6-8 weeks. Currently not a ton of folks raid but you can find groups. Melee classes are at a disadvantage in that raid so a common preference is guardian tanks, minstrel heals, at least one captain a raid, and a lot of ranged DPS. But in smaller groups, the three man content is often easy unless you run challenge mode. Some of it you can do easily with three champions, three hunters, etc. 3/4 of the game is just casual fun and a long interesting story.

The new summer 6 man instance is the boss Thrang from The Rift, but it scales up to level 115 with amazing loot. Guardians are the #1 best tanks for this, but every other class has some role still. Everyone who is level 115 should be running this for the 100 ash per char per day, and the relatively common ilvl 345 teal jewelry. The ash cap is 10,000, so hit this right before the next game update and you're ahead of the curve.

I don't want to tell anyone which class to play, but in the off chance goons raid together again we will probably always need another guardian or minstrel online and will never need another hunter.

Also:

Summer Sales! Now through July 12th get:
35% off 100% Crafting Crit
50% off Gondor Deed Tome
75% off Beorning + Character Slot
Skip to Your Favorite Chapters! Get 20% off now through July 12th:
Gift of the Valar + Blessing of the Valar
3rd Age Item Trove
Legacy Scroll Box
The Weekly Coupon gets you a Skill and Slayer Deed x1 with coupon code DEEDBOOST now through July 12th!

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
That's a good deal on Beorning since they're about to get an overhaul and become the most OP class (I hope).

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

extra stout posted:

The Weekly Coupon gets you a Skill and Slayer Deed x1 with coupon code DEEDBOOST now through July 12th!

These are okay because they also remove the daily limiter on skill deeds

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
I played this way back when it first came out, but never leveled very far. Now I have a hankering to level a character through a scenic old-school MMO and have fond memories of LOTRO.

I've done some reading, both here and elsewhere on the web. I understand the basic dynamics of what characters are wanted for high-level group content, and the basic character roles/abilities. My main question is: how much slower will casual mostly-solo leveling be if I play as a Guardian or Captain rather than as a more dps-oriented class like Champion or Hunter? I'm not looking for a mad race to max level, but I also don't want to spend hours plinking away at normal monsters if Captain dps is really as gimpy as a few writeups have made it sound. On the flipside, I like the utility of having a character in demand for occasional group activities, and generally favor tanky/bulky type melee in MMOs that I play.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's best to play the class that sounds the most interesting. Every class is going through a rebalance (or will shortly), and early leveling is a cinch. In fact, until you get to Mordor, you're in pretty good shape, at least as far as my experience has been.

Guardian went through a balance pass and I think redline is stronger than it's ever been.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lewd Mangabey posted:

I played this way back when it first came out, but never leveled very far. Now I have a hankering to level a character through a scenic old-school MMO and have fond memories of LOTRO.

I've done some reading, both here and elsewhere on the web. I understand the basic dynamics of what characters are wanted for high-level group content, and the basic character roles/abilities. My main question is: how much slower will casual mostly-solo leveling be if I play as a Guardian or Captain rather than as a more dps-oriented class like Champion or Hunter? I'm not looking for a mad race to max level, but I also don't want to spend hours plinking away at normal monsters if Captain dps is really as gimpy as a few writeups have made it sound. On the flipside, I like the utility of having a character in demand for occasional group activities, and generally favor tanky/bulky type melee in MMOs that I play.

You don't need to solo if you don't want to, you can ask for help if you get bored or stuck on a quest. Also this year more than most I got back into just making friends with whoever seems the most friendly and talented from /world chat groups, and while I admit I only add maybe one person to friends every three groups I meet, it adds up. I've got some non-goons I run with for a half hour a night and it's a really fun and quick way to max my gear.

As of the last class balance patch, I'd go with champion out of those choices. Also I'm with Ossipago on hoping the beorning buffs make it as fun at 115 as it is at say level 50.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I haven't played this since the Nazgun days, but after a brief foray into Neverwinter (lol currencies!), I need a new poopsock. Any chance of finding my old character?

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.
I've started playing this and am playing a warden. There's a lot of overwhelming systems they throw at you but right now I'm just leveling a warden and following the story.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This game still has some great enviroments.
I really am enjoying turning off the combat sounds, leaving the environmental effects such as wind and birds on and just working through the story while stoned. Warden combos can be a little rough when you are blazed but you can steamroll anything if you just do that aoe lifetap gambit.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 11, 2018

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So are tanks other than Guardian actually viable? Enjoy tanking usually when I play MMOs but Guardian just doesn't scratch the itch. Kinda liking Beorning so far, but I noticed the character creation just labeled it as damage and support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Not sure this is the right place to ask, but LOTRO feels pretty dead (I realized the OP is like 4 years old). And while still a pretty good game, I'd like something a bit more active. Are there any good primarily PvE MMOs with active goon guilds running on them?