Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my stanford story is parking in the mall lot to try to dodge paying for parking one time and getting caught by the security guard so I had to park in the garage anyway

also i didn't know anybody went there for tourist stuff lol wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of the more surprising things about stanford is that it is at heart a jock school

stanford alums will proudly tell you that they have more ncaa division i titles (across all sports, not just football and mens basketball) than any other school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_schools_with_the_most_NCAA_Division_I_championships

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as a person that works with more than my fair share of cal and stanford alum, i am more than well aware :eng99:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i knew a guy who was in the top-5 of fencing in high school and didn't make the 3-person stanford team because the top 3 were there

they win the sears cup every year through a combination of blitzing every non-popular sport and nobody else really caring

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

lol if you care about the sports team where you went to school

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't know why but i find the idea of stanford min-maxing that to be especially amusing and meta :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

i knew a guy who was in the top-5 of fencing in high school and didn't make the 3-person stanford team because the top 3 were there

they win the sears cup every year through a combination of blitzing every non-popular sport and nobody else really caring

all i know about fencing is that my mom was on the caltech fencing team with david brin

caltech, technically they have (had?) sports!
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-12-18/news/gl-3888_1_caltech-football-team

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

keyboard vomit posted:

our womens' rugby and ultimate frisbee teams were really good :2bong:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i went to a community college because im a loving broke idiot moron

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think there was an official thing that said that stanford students were the least enthusiastic wrt sports in the entire div 1

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think there was an official thing that said that stanford students were the least enthusiastic wrt sports in the entire div 1

well yeah, whenever you head up to the northeast side of campus it's filled with fit, attractive people. best to avoid all that nonsense and get back to the EE labs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

keyboard vomit posted:

lsu alum here and one of my fav profs used to refer to tiger football as a tumor feeding on the body of higher learning

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lsu alum here and one of my fav profs used to refer to tiger football as a tumor feeding on the body of higher learning

i think he got that one backwards :secsmug:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
In my defense the University of Miami was a top-15 program when I attended, and Stanford had gone something stupid like 29 and 28 my senior year while i was being recruited. I am also from Florida and had no concept of the tech bubble or how Stanford would play out in regards to future career placement and all that kind of fun stuff and I am aware of now.

I also thought Miami girls would be way hotter and my parents did not want me going across the country away to college

If I could travel back in time the one thing I would tell my dumb teenage self would be to attend Stanford because I would have gotten out in like 12 or 13 in Prime bubble position

The second thing I would have told myself would be to play soccer since I am one of the few non professional soccer players in my family. RIP

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Waroduce posted:

and my parents did not want me going across the country away to college

this is why one of our interns turned down a full ride to swarthmore in favor of a partial scholarship at santa clara u

lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it turns out you can make a shitload of money in "amateur" sports when you don't have to pay the players

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i remember one year all the tigers were given vespas and it became a joke to watch two ripped to hell dudes try to share one on the way to class

later the paper only mentioned it in passing since the real scandal was that they were being given free rent condos near the stadium (which are typically built to be sold to wealthy foobaw fans who aren't interested in dropping that money on an RV to tailgate in)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a friend of mine got accepted by both MIT and caltech and then didn't go to either because his insane helicopter mom refused to have any part in it because she wanted to make him go to a closer school where she can still latch her claws into him forever

he wound up going to the university of south florida instead. thanks mom!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
humb.le brag

FCKGW posted:

i went to a community college because im a loving broke idiot moron

hell yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i remember one year all the tigers were given vespas and it became a joke to watch two ripped to hell dudes try to share one on the way to class

later the paper only mentioned it in passing since the real scandal was that they were being given free rent condos near the stadium (which are typically built to be sold to wealthy foobaw fans who aren't interested in dropping that money on an RV to tailgate in)

i appreciated seeing uf linemen sharing scooters

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ate all the Oreos posted:

a friend of mine got accepted by both MIT and caltech and then didn't go to either because his insane helicopter mom refused to have any part in it because she wanted to make him go to a closer school where she can still latch her claws into him forever

he wound up going to the university of south florida instead. thanks mom!

yeah thats why i passed on that full ride to Reed and went to Henderson State University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah all that esteemed higher learning going on at lsu. This middle-bottom tier university used to MEAN something... but now?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
please don't school shame

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

please don't school shame

its ok i went there too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ADINSX posted:

oh yeah all that esteemed higher learning going on at lsu. This middle-bottom tier university used to MEAN something... but now?

eehhhhhh depends on the program

most of the engineering departments are in the top quintile since it's apparently p beneficial to have the second largest chemical plant complex in the nation on your doorstep and nasa's rocket testing facility right around the corner. geology there is world-class too, for similar petrochemical reasons

but yeah it's an agricultural university, you don't go there for a liberal arts education like rich people want

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

eehhhhhh depends on the program

most of the engineering departments are in the top quintile since it's apparently p beneficial to have the second largest chemical plant complex in the nation on your doorstep and nasa's rocket testing facility right around the corner. geology there is world-class too, for similar petrochemical reasons

Thats fair; but LSU was barely anything before huey p long tried to raise its profile with tiger stadium and increased focus on the football team. The only reason people have heard of it is football and its always been that way.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol at school rankings tho

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i got school shamed last time school chat came up but lol if your school hasnt been in any scifi movies

also that pointy building is a piece of poo poo that is going to be torn down at some unspecified time in the future

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you can qualify for housing assistance there if your household income is under $250k

palo alto high is probably going to begin construction on dorms for their teachers soon

jeeeeesus. looking forward to watching city governments and various essential services falling to pieces due to impossible housing costs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my favorite thing is when a school is so desperate for rankings that they put a line in their brochure like "one of the top 17 journalism programs among northeastern universities!"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my high school made 'best 100 high schools in america' in like 1991 and they still had the article framed on the wall as late as 2012

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
just like how every movie needs to mention the rotten tomatoes score

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shaman Linavi posted:

i know a dude that got in to stanford on a soccer scholarship and i never thought he was a real nerdlinger type dude.
after graduating he played in the MLS for a year before getting a job at Zenefits where he got shitcanned during the whole insurance compliance disruption phase

p sure he is still unemployed now

he was probably making more even if he was just on the phones or something - unless you've appeared on the front of a video game in the last three decades pay in the mls is worse than most lower-league english clubs

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
i went to stanford once to see a free photo exhibition about CRAY (the photos were interesting and I learned a lot)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
stanford's rodin sculpture garden is the largest in the nation of his works

you can go see the gates of hell there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

my high school made 'best 100 high schools in america' in like 1991 and they still had the article framed on the wall as late as 2012

my high school won an award around the same time and the principal spent like 5 grand on a 30' banner with "A California Distinguished Scool" printed on it and nobody noticed until they hung it up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

stanford's rodin sculpture garden is the largest in the nation of his works

you can go see the gates of hell there

they have one at the legion of honor in sf too plus there's a great museum and land's end right there

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I want to the local equivalent of a community college, paid $600 tuition, walked out with a diploma and into a 70k job, now I have a cushy rear end middle management job where I make six figgies in a place where that buys you a comfortable lifestyle

A++++ would fail out of pre-calc again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i got my associates degree before matriculating the local middling state university. it’s one of the best decisions ive ever made and I thoroughly enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

go cougars/broncos!!!