Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

unruly posted:

Yes, and? I saw that. It doesn't exactly change my feeling that the character is the most checkboxy new hero for inclusiveness sake. That's fine, it's just not what I enjoy. I'll look for her YA stuff and see if I end up liking it.

In VENGEANCE I don't recall much about her parents or orientation being mentioned. Hell I don't think we even find out she likes girls til the end of YA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's amazing how quickly almost every complaint about america turns out to be from nazis who cant believe there might be someone who would want books about them dang ol coloreds and queers

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
From basic wikipedia-ing it looks like her deal is the standard package plus some sliders nonsense, how often does that come up? Is it a once an issue thing, or more of "technically the Flash can go back in time, but he doesn't because it would kill all narrative tension" sort of thing? Because it seems like you could have a lot of fun with it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is this like the thing where everybody started fighting because Ms. Marvel was making meme references?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

unruly posted:

It doesn't exactly change my feeling that the character is the most checkboxy new hero for inclusiveness sake.

You should probably think long and hard about why you feel that way. It says significantly more about your personal beliefs than you realize.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Keeshhound posted:

From basic wikipedia-ing it looks like her deal is the standard package plus some sliders nonsense, how often does that come up? Is it a once an issue thing, or more of "technically the Flash can go back in time, but he doesn't because it would kill all narrative tension" sort of thing? Because it seems like you could have a lot of fun with it.

It depends on the writer's imagination. Sometimes she does really fun poo poo like having a punchfight through dimensions, other times she's just the transportation.

She's already better than most teleporters because she literally kicks holes in reality. Star-shaped ones.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

brown person: *exists*
white person: this is beyond my suspension of disbelief

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

Is this like the thing where everybody started fighting because Ms. Marvel was making meme references?

To be fair, I was still annoyed back then that they were already doing the obligatory Wolverine team-up and she still hadn't met that hedgehog with the hulk hands from the one cover page.

Come to think of it, did that hedgehog ever show up?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

purple death ray posted:

every fantasy or historical media piece

edit: double if it's a woman and/or in a position of power

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

purple death ray posted:

Wow look at this checkbox character

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Look at this new character. He’s a straight, white, cisgendered man with a hot love interest and a gruff attitude. Very new and original, no checkboxes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Where can I buy a "Crossbones Was Right" shirt?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

unruly posted:

Yes, and? I saw that. It doesn't exactly change my feeling that the character is the most checkboxy new hero for inclusiveness sake. That's fine, it's just not what I enjoy. I'll look for her YA stuff and see if I end up liking it.

Just get outta here, dude. And stop harassing Kelly Marie Tran.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, Coates' Black panter had some growing pains in the beginning as he struggled to get a grasp on writing for comics, I was hoping Rivera was experiencing something similar, but... no. It was just bad. Which is a shame because Chavez is awesome.

It's really a failing of her editor too. Who the gently caress let that Fifth Element sorority gag through?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Archyduke posted:

Is Runaways Rainbow Rowell's first comics work? Because she's killing it, that series is a ton of fun.

Yes, and agreed.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ecavalli posted:

You should probably think long and hard about why you feel that way. It says significantly more about your personal beliefs than you realize.

I dunno, the sample presented didn't seem exactly like something someone should defend simply because the character is a Latinx LGBT character. If the writer is bad and their intention is solely just to attempt to appeal to a demographic by saying 'hey look, they're just like how I think you are, buy this book!' then a character like that can be offensive as hell and difficult to read.

Though to be fair I haven't read anything with the character and know next to nothing about them or their book so I can't make a very informed opinion on the subject.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven’t heard anyone say good things about that book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Even Hitler loved his dogs. And even Hitler followers love their yappy dogs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My hot take on "Inclusive comics, or PANDERING!?"

Just feeling suddenly old and thinking "Is Holy Menstruation a thing kids say to eachother these days?"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

John Dyne posted:

I dunno, the sample presented didn't seem exactly like something someone should defend simply because the character is a Latinx LGBT character. If the writer is bad and their intention is solely just to attempt to appeal to a demographic by saying 'hey look, they're just like how I think you are, buy this book!' then a character like that can be offensive as hell and difficult to read.

Though to be fair I haven't read anything with the character and know next to nothing about them or their book so I can't make a very informed opinion on the subject.

America Chavez has been a queer Latinx character for years though, that's not something the writer of her solo title just pulled out of nowhere. To be clear, I think her solo title is very very bad, but most of the basic coordinates of her character were already laid out by Kieron Gillen and to a lesser extent Joe Casey and Al Ewing (in comics that were for the most part very very good).

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Archyduke posted:

America Chavez has been a queer Latinx character for years though, that's not something the writer of her solo title just pulled out of nowhere. To be clear, I think her solo title is very very bad, but most of the basic coordinates of her character were already laid out by Kieron Gillen and to a lesser extent Joe Casey and Al Ewing (in comics that were for the most part very very good).

I wasn't aware the character was that old, honestly, and wasn't sure who her creator was. I guess it's more of a bad writer on a good character then.

poo poo like what I was talking about doesn't seem AS common these days and seems more like a 90's/2000's thing. Speaking of, whatever happened to Simon Baz, the Green Lantern with a gun who was also Islamic?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

John Dyne posted:

poo poo like what I was talking about doesn't seem AS common these days and seems more like a 90's/2000's thing. Speaking of, whatever happened to Simon Baz, the Green Lantern with a gun who was also Islamic?

Turned into a pretty decent and well rounded character once he was out of Geoff Johns clutches.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rhyno posted:

Turned into a pretty decent and well rounded character once he was out of Geoff Johns clutches.

Awesome. He seemed like he had a lot of potential once you got past the silliness and in-your-face 'I'M MUSLIM SO WHAT, DEAL WITH IT *SHOOTS GUN*' poo poo that he first got advertised with.

I do love Wiki's list of his powers though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The people of Smallville are going to make America great again:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The people of Smallville are going to make America great again:

I'm just amused that the Kryptonian scientist from a super-advanced civilization is building a log cabin.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

Frame this post and hang it in the Smithsonian

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1004243128851652608

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

site posted:

it's amazing how quickly almost every complaint about america turns out to be from nazis who cant believe there might be someone who would want books about them dang ol coloreds and queers

My complaint is that she debuted in one of the worst books to ever waste good covers, and literally nothing in it deserved to ever be referenced again. Salt the loving Earth on that one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

America is a great character, but sadly her solo title really is very bad. It's not just clunky dialogue, it has a lot of issues with plotting and is rife with basic continuity errors. I don't mean continuity errors like, "Wolverine's claws were bone in this time period!" or whatever, I mean continuity errors like things randomly changing from scene to scene and the plot and stakes of the stories being wildly inconsistent.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I’d have to go with Trivial Pursuit on this one, you can count Affleck as Batman over my cold dead body.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dewgy posted:

I’d have to go with Trivial Pursuit on this one, you can count Affleck as Batman over my cold dead body.

The Moops Clause of Trivial Pursuit clearly establishes Affleck is the correct answer.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Since when did Trivial Pursuit put photos on the question cards?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

Since when did Trivial Pursuit put photos on the question cards?

Based on the context given, some time between 1956 and 2016.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Android Blues posted:

America is a great character, but sadly her solo title really is very bad. It's not just clunky dialogue, it has a lot of issues with plotting and is rife with basic continuity errors. I don't mean continuity errors like, "Wolverine's claws were bone in this time period!" or whatever, I mean continuity errors like things randomly changing from scene to scene and the plot and stakes of the stories being wildly inconsistent.

It genuinely comes off like the editor just ignored the book and that Rivera had the level of understanding and respect for the medium that leads to every newspaper article about comics getting the headline "BIFF! POW! NOT JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE!!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just wanted to point out, if "diversity bingo" grampa is reading, that like a dozen people have managed to say this is a bad comic without being chased out of the thread. It's entirely possible to dislike and criticise comics featuring minorities and not be racist.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

I don't know, I'm pretty sure if you asked him Clooney would be very happy if everyone would forget he was ever Batman.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

purple death ray posted:

I just wanted to point out, if "diversity bingo" grampa is reading, that like a dozen people have managed to say this is a bad comic without being chased out of the thread. It's entirely possible to dislike and criticise comics featuring minorities and not be racist.

I tell myself it also helps to recognize that you're old and lame and that's why "holy menstruation" sounds weird as hell to you. drat kids. :doom:

(But that's "drat those kids, being different then me", not "drat those kids, they shouldn't be allowed to be different".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody, including kids, says “holy menstruation”.