Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Why does NXT use more traditional Indy booking and storytelling, but then force the workers to do WWE style when they get called up? Shouldn’t their training be more WWE focused?

NXT's primary purposes are to get people to watch/spend money on a WWE product while pretending they aren't, to keep talent away from competition, and to make sure HHH can point to something so investors don't piss themselves when Vince steps down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: wow wrong thread

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

In the vein of GAB '06 and TLC '17, are there any other PPVs (doesn't have to be WWE) that had major changes in several matches to their top billed card at the last minute?

Souled Out 2000 kept changing during the last week. Goldberg cut his hand up which cancelled Bret Hart vs Goldberg. Then Bret Hart's concussions pulled him out of what I believe would have been Bret Hart vs Sid. With a week to go Russo wanted to do a battle royal for the belt with Tank Abbott winning, he got sent home for that. Jeff Jarrett got injured taking him out of the featured 3 match series as well. This led to Benoit vs Sid for the title and Kidman vs the Revolution in a 3 match series.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

In the vein of GAB '06 and TLC '17, are there any other PPVs (doesn't have to be WWE) that had major changes in several matches to their top billed card at the last minute?

No Mercy '07 ended up redoing the card so there were 3 world title matches.

MassRafTer posted:

Souled Out 2000 kept changing during the last week. Goldberg cut his hand up which cancelled Bret Hart vs Goldberg. Then Bret Hart's concussions pulled him out of what I believe would have been Bret Hart vs Sid. With a week to go Russo wanted to do a battle royal for the belt with Tank Abbott winning, he got sent home for that. Jeff Jarrett got injured taking him out of the featured 3 match series as well. This led to Benoit vs Sid for the title and Kidman vs the Revolution in a 3 match series.

Souled Out 2000 was probably the king. It did go from Sid/Bret to Sid/JJ to Sid/Benoit over the span of a week.

Goldberg didn't just cut up his hand, this was the window breaking incident that nearly severed his arteries and sidelined him for 5 months. But this was still like 3 or so weeks out from the PPV so they replaced him with Sid.

Jarrett got concussed by Jimmy Snuka on the go home Thunder by taking a Supafly Splash off a cage from all things.

Plus that's not even getting into how Russo's release forced the Sullivan situation and led to Benoit getting his release the day after winning the title.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is there a blade job near as bad as Eddie's during Judgment Day 2004?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Undertaker did a sick one in his first cell match against Brock Lesnar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Jay Briscoe's vs Joe at ROH At Our Best is so much worse. The blood clots and hangs off his forehead. Literally hangs as a solid off his forehead.

I remember Jericho's vs The Heavenly Bodies being worse too but it was hard to tell since it was off an old VHS that had been copied a bunch.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Was there a specific incident that caused the end of blood or was it just the progressive PG turn the company was making?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Was there a specific incident that caused the end of blood or was it just the progressive PG turn the company was making?

Undertaker did a segment with Randy's dad Bob Orton in 2006 where Bob bladed, and Undertaker was furious after finding out after that Bob had Hepatitis C

It's curable now, but wasn't back then

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Undertaker did a segment with Randy's dad Bob Orton in 2006 where Bob bladed, and Undertaker was furious after finding out after that Bob had Hepatitis C

It's curable now, but wasn't back then

Michaels bladed during the Jericho feud in 2008 and that was the impetus for the ban.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

John Cena, Judgement Day 2005, in an I Quit match against the same opponent.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

MassRafTer posted:

Michaels bladed during the Jericho feud in 2008 and that was the impetus for the ban.

Wasn't that also the year of Linda's first Senate run?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Wasn't that also the year of Linda's first Senate run?

No, that was 2 years later.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blading was always pretty stupid and in the mid-2000's they were completely overdoing it to the point of meaninglessness.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dont even fink about it posted:

Blading was always pretty stupid and in the mid-2000's they were completely overdoing it to the point of meaninglessness.

It's not like they all became meaningless, it still worked very effectively for Lesnar/Taker, JBL/Eddy and JBL/Cena. Without it the latter two would have been forgettable as hell.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i'd much rather guys sparingly blade than having brock lesnar actually punch guys in the forehead until they open up

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean he's gonna do it anyway

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Foley and Flair lost about a gallon of blood in a throwaway match on Impact back in 2010.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35d55p

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert posted:

That's what the last big WWE Creative team member to be released said. NXT doesn't really produce what WWE writers want/need and Vince's demand.

They all come in overprepared so who cares. If you just want someone ready to have a bland match and get 50/50 booked while reading bad lines that aren't in any way tailored to them specifically, anyone could do that. You don't need a preparatory system for that.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Timby posted:

Foley and Flair lost about a gallon of blood in a throwaway match on Impact back in 2010.

Is Impact wrestling still allowing/encouraging chair-shots to the head as a way to differentiate them from PG WWE?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well hey, it's in the name,

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That Foley and Flair

Timby posted:

One minute in and they’ve both bladed.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MassRafTer posted:

It's not like they all became meaningless, it still worked very effectively for Lesnar/Taker, JBL/Eddy and JBL/Cena. Without it the latter two would have been forgettable as hell.

Yeah like blading isn't even in the top 10 of worst aspects of the business tbh. I don't want Flair out there bleeding every loving week, but one or two matches a year having blood would add a lot to the right match

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bigass Moth posted:

That Foley and Flair

One minute in and they’ve both bladed.

I'm more sensitive to it nowadays because I'm on a blood thinning medication and so the tiniest cut can lead to me bleeding for like a half-hour, but holy poo poo that match made me sick.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Timby posted:

Just talked to my friend from Florida who once told me she had to get treated for having a shitload of Flair blood all over her hands. She used to work for Universal Studios.

It was this match.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Blood in insanely good in matches. Especially two minutes into the opener or in 7/10 matches on the card.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Just talked to my friend from Florida who once told me she had to get treated for having a shitload of Flair blood all over her hands. She used to work for Universal Studios.

It was this match.

Flair blood is extremely toxic she's lucky to still have hands

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The first and only big event I ever went to was Summerslam 2016, which ended with Orton getting opened right up by Brock and it was kinda gross irl

On Saturday I’m going to my second one at Dominion, where Naito and Jericho are doubtless gonna bleed all over the place too

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Lesnar/Spanky squash always stood out to me. A pointless bump into the aftermath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh0yH1tVkks&t=432s

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Smoking Crow posted:

Flair blood is extremely toxic she's lucky to still have hands

Imagine a world where flairs blood was like a xenomorph

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Croc posted:

Imagine a world where flairs blood was like a xenomorph

So basically this world.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
My favorite bit of that impact match was when the camera stayed on Flair after the second Barbie shot so you can clearly see him saw at his own head several times.

I don’t think Mick bladed at the start. I think he bladed that before he went through the curtain because his hands never touched his head when ric was punching at the bandage.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you want probably the worst blade job of all time, look up the Mass Transit incident from ECW. Long story short, New Jack nearly killed a minor.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 6, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I wish we had as much coverage of the New Jack trial as we have had for the CM Punk trial.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
The match where New Jack just straight up stabs a guy.

Of course Muta vs Hiroshi Hase, the match that gave birth to the Muta Scale.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tbf the new jack-gyspsy joe stabbing dabacle is surprisingly gore free from what I remember

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Unless I remember wrong, NJ stabbed some nobody in Florida, and the Gypsy Joe match was "just" a brutal beating.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

OldTennisCourt posted:

The year previous Vince bladed against zack 'the novelty act' gowen at Vengeance and it was brutal and completely uncalled for. Like Vince barely touched the chair and it was just a brutal gusher. Then he pinned gowen.

I believe it made a botchamania for how ridiculous it was and how out of nowhere it was.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

ColeM posted:

The year previous Vince bladed against zack 'the novelty act' gowen at Vengeance and it was brutal and completely uncalled for. Like Vince barely touched the chair and it was just a brutal gusher. Then he pinned gowen.

I believe it made a botchamania for how ridiculous it was and how out of nowhere it was.

Man, on top of the Hogan Wrestlemania match and the Undertaker Survivor Series match, Vince just loved to blade in 2003 didn't he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vince has always loved the juice, big time