Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
All of these points are 100% correct. We're only playing it after being together as a group playing multiple times a week for almost a year with very clear X card rules and lines and the ability to have an adult conversation and I couldn't imagine trying to play it with a pick up group because that is a recipe for disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I adore Monsterhearts, but I had bad experiences with some of the folks I played it with. I'd very much like to play it again, this time with people who won't be major creeps.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I did have fun with my Mortal with a high Dark stat, who was in love with the idea of darkness without really understanding how bad it could be. Complete with internal monologues about how much she hated the 'mundanes' in her life. One of her monologues even intimidated the Infernal's entity, though said entity later talked her into doing a ritual that involved breaking a bunch of mirrors.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Any good PbtA games for playing stompy mech-based squad combat ala Front Mission or Armored Core or that one Gundam where they were Geurillas? I'm toying with running a game where the players are a mercenary squad piloting Wanzer-style customize-able Mecha in objective-based squad on squad combat missions and seeing what systems work that don't involve a fuckmillion pages of tables and firing angles and stuff mecha games tend to trip headfirst over.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Fumbles posted:

Any good PbtA games for playing stompy mech-based squad combat ala Front Mission or Armored Core or that one Gundam where they were Geurillas? I'm toying with running a game where the players are a mercenary squad piloting Wanzer-style customize-able Mecha in objective-based squad on squad combat missions and seeing what systems work that don't involve a fuckmillion pages of tables and firing angles and stuff mecha games tend to trip headfirst over.
It's not like there's an abundance of PbtA mecha games to begin with. But Firebrands sounds pretty close to what you're describing, if somewhat basic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fumbles posted:

Not PbtA, but you might like Mechnoir, the mecha spinoff of Technoir.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
There's one in development now called "Too Good To be True."

Helpful link: http://blog.trilemma.com/2017/04/2btbt-010-mecha-rpg.html

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
It's not quite PBTA, but since BitD is a descendant, you might be interested in Beam Saber, a game that cites Front Mission, Armored Core, and some of the more grounded Gundam series as inspiration.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think the author of Kill 6 Billion Demons just released the beta iteration of his mecha RPG. I believe it's called Lancer.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think the author of Kill 6 Billion Demons just released the beta iteration of his mecha RPG. I believe it's called Lancer.
Yeah, but while his Broken Worlds (a K6BD game) is PbtA, Lancer isn't and has been presented like more of an SotDL hack.
Does anyone here know if Broken Worlds if any good, by the way? I heard criticism.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Broken Worlds is fun, but should really have "just do it narrative or not at all" for PVP. Having played MH the flaws of BW stand out, like having a generic "this does anything the other moves don't cover" move is kind of not very good. But also you can be Pai Mei from Kill Bill and make people explode because you tell them their kung fu is weak.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It’s not a bad PbtA, but it’s definitely not one of the stronger examples.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Just came across this Undying game of vampires and it looks neat. Anyone know it? What's the general opinion?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I read it and it had some interesting ideas, but it's diceless and vampires aren't my thing, so I didn't really latch on. I like the debt mechanics in particular.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Having only skimmed it, I can say: It's a minimalist take on Vampire: the Masquerade, and a minimalist version of PbtA.

The diceless system seems to mean that contests with prey are about making difficult choices, and contests between vampires are about marshaling every advantage going in, if you can. It reminds me a lot of Jared Sorensen's "Monster Garage" rules from the Requiem Chronicler's Guide. The general objections are likely to be a) people just love dice, of course, and b) like My Life With Master, there are things that trigger when X is greater than Y, and a player might find it noisome to remember why they might want a given stat to be higher or lower. (Humanity, for example, has both advantages and disadvantages.)

Would I play it? Sure. I like the way it handles debts, humanity, and status among vampires, with a simplified scale and clear paths to gaining and losing them, which is a giant gaping hole in Vampire itself.

I feel like it could use one or two more playbooks, and to my taste, will really benefit from a GM who will dress up the basic facts of vampire existence with some custom lore (and it has guidance for doing that).

It's the same issue I have with Vampire: I definitely agree that late-era Masquerade had so much stuff going on that it obscured the central themes of the game. But dammit, I also like to sometimes have the party put on trenchcoats and carry katanas on a quest to uncover some ancient Egyptian elder's tomb or whatever.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I did have fun with my Mortal with a high Dark stat, who was in love with the idea of darkness without really understanding how bad it could be. Complete with internal monologues about how much she hated the 'mundanes' in her life. One of her monologues even intimidated the Infernal's entity, though said entity later talked her into doing a ritual that involved breaking a bunch of mirrors.

Every Monsterhearts game I have been in with a Mortal, the Mortal was the loving creepiest PC at the table hands down.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Xand_Man posted:

Every Monsterhearts game I have been in with a Mortal, the Mortal was the loving creepiest PC at the table hands down.

Honestly that doesn't surprise me. It's an easy playbook to play in a creepy way.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Mortal is the worst one because Man is the greatest monster.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Having only skimmed it, I can say: [Undying] is a minimalist take on Vampire: the Masquerade, and a minimalist version of PbtA.

The diceless system seems to mean that contests with prey are about making difficult choices, and contests between vampires are about marshaling every advantage going in, if you can. It reminds me a lot of Jared Sorensen's "Monster Garage" rules from the Requiem Chronicler's Guide. The general objections are likely to be a) people just love dice, of course, and b) like My Life With Master, there are things that trigger when X is greater than Y, and a player might find it noisome to remember why they might want a given stat to be higher or lower. (Humanity, for example, has both advantages and disadvantages.)

Would I play it? Sure. I like the way it handles debts, humanity, and status among vampires, with a simplified scale and clear paths to gaining and losing them, which is a giant gaping hole in Vampire itself.

I feel like it could use one or two more playbooks, and to my taste, will really benefit from a GM who will dress up the basic facts of vampire existence with some custom lore (and it has guidance for doing that).

It's the same issue I have with Vampire: I definitely agree that late-era Masquerade had so much stuff going on that it obscured the central themes of the game. But dammit, I also like to sometimes have the party put on trenchcoats and carry katanas on a quest to uncover some ancient Egyptian elder's tomb or whatever.
Thanks for the description, Jack. I ended up buying it and I'm almost finished reading. Some other bits I've noticed:

- Hunting Grounds. Each predator has a delineated geographic area (the book suggests using a real city map), with 3 stats (pray abundance, awareness and proximity) that determines how easy or hard is your feeding. This gets better (or worse) as you shift in rank (from lowest up: Pariah, Plebean, Patrician, Princeps).

- Night x Downtime phases. The game assumes the moment-to-moment play occurs on the "night" phase where players must act on some inexorable bang! created by the MC or the players themselves. Once it is resolved, everybody lie down to their coffins or everyday activities in the "Downtime" phase and years/decades/centuries pass until the next "Night". This Downtime phase has it's own set of moves for scheming against others, gaining allies or strenghtening one's position. So one session can happen in middle ages, other at industrial revolution, and another on current day.

- Wager-based Conflict. Every predator has a pool of blood which is kept hidden from the others. If two players fight, it's a simple wager with the one who offered more blood winning, and deciding the fate of the loser: death or becoming a Pariah (the lowest rank in the predator hierarchy). For conflicts not based on fighting, the game turns into a poker like mini-game of call/raise/drop. This makes fighting other predators extremely risky, instead favoring meddling from afar/indirectly.

- Since there's no 6- roll (it's diceless afterall) there's no Hard Moves. To compensate for that, the MC is instructed to play hard through the NPC predators. The GM is instructued to create a handful NPCs with the players, assign their blood pools and pursue their agendas agressively. This means scheming or going for the players throats according to their relationship, which can be: Rival (interfere/meddle in a given player affairs), Enemy (ruin a player reputation) or Nemesis (destroy a player characrer). Various Moves can shift these relationships (including Downtime ones) so it seems wise to ponder every actions consequences less you find yourself in everybody's crosshairs.

That's basically it and I must confess I'M LOVING this stuff. It's the unholy child of Amber and Apocalypse World that bullies the snowflake chick in gothic cosplay that is Vampire the Masquerade. I'm surprised this game is not talked more.

lessavini fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 17, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well now I feel a little silly, because I read all this stuff that was sort of around the edges of the core mechanic, without reading the core mechanic and the basic setup for the cycle of play. Having actual and central mechanics for feeding ground is excellent. Being able to decide the pace of your game (from literally night-to-night or century-to-century) is excellent.

lessavini posted:

- Wager-based Conflict. Every predator has a pool of blood which is kept hidden from the others. If two players fight, it's a simple wager with the one who offered more blood winning, and deciding the fate of the loser: death or becoming a Pariah (the lowest rank in the predator hierarchy). For conflicts not based on fighting, the game turns into a poker like mini-game of call/raise/drop.
As to why Undying hasn't caught on in a big way: in my experience, simple wager systems aren't popular. (Personally, they remind me of Insylum, which was a basically incomplete game.)

I feel like Undying could be a lot more exciting if there was a bit more meat to the playbooks. I mean, it's a good game as-is. It's just not "V:tM as it was always meant to be" or suchlike.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Well now I feel a little silly, because I read all this stuff that was sort of around the edges of the core mechanic, without reading the core mechanic and the basic setup for the cycle of play. Having actual and central mechanics for feeding ground is excellent. Being able to decide the pace of your game (from literally night-to-night or century-to-century) is excellent.

As to why Undying hasn't caught on in a big way: in my experience, simple wager systems aren't popular. (Personally, they remind me of Insylum, which was a basically incomplete game.)

I feel like Undying could be a lot more exciting if there was a bit more meat to the playbooks. I mean, it's a good game as-is. It's just not "V:tM as it was always meant to be" or suchlike.
I thought that too when I was midway through the book (just 5 playbooks? Pffff) but after finishing it I think the playbooks are "weak" on purpose. I think Undying wants the player to enter a poker mindset, you know hiding his weaknesses and probing the opponents' while constantly bluffing maneuvering etc his way to the top, with his "hand" being the 4 stats: blood, debts, status and humanity. That's the crux of the game. Adding more playbooks and elaborate moves would dilute that core, I suspect, and make complex a process that seems pretty involving already ("Do I hit that patrician now that he just spent some blood to deal with the raging mob assaulting his estate? I own him a major debt though, meaning everybody will suspect it was me. And how about his allies, are they near, and if so, how much blood they have? Do I have anyone who owes me enough that would agree to help me out with such a move? ").

lessavini fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 17, 2018

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

lessavini posted:

I thought that too when I was midway through the book (just 5 playbooks? Pffff) but after finishing it I think the playbooks are "weak" on purpose. I think Undying wants the player to enter a poker mindset, you know hiding his weaknesses and probing the opponents' while constantly bluffing maneuvering etc his way to the top, with his "hand" being the 4 stats: blood, debts, status and humanity. That's the crux of the game. Adding more playbooks and elaborate moves would dilute that core, I suspect, and make complex a process that seems pretty involving already ("Do I hit that patrician now that he just spent some blood to deal with the raging mob assaulting his estate? I own him a major debt though, meaning everybody will suspect it was me. And how about his allies, are they near, and if so, how much blood they have? Do I have anyone who owes me enough that would agree to help me out with such a move? ").

For what it's worth, the Plague Empire Quick Start adds an additional playbook, the Sybil.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Any interesting hacks based on air combat and ace pilots? I know Strike Witches is cool & good but it's not really about awesome dogfights necessarily.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Night Witches, Strike Witches is something else entirely.

In any case - Flying Circus is the answer to your question and it just finished it’s Kickstarter. It’s from the designer of Patrol so she’s done a ridiculous amount of research to back it up as well.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Night Witches, Strike Witches is something else entirely.

In any case - Flying Circus is the answer to your question and it just finished it’s Kickstarter. It’s from the designer of Patrol so she’s done a ridiculous amount of research to back it up as well.

Oops, not sure how I even mixed those up. :psyduck:

Thanks for the link! That looks neat.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
The latest version of Impulse Drive is available for free on DTRPG and Itch.

It's evolved a fair bit since the last time I posted it, mostly streamlining the flow of play by cribbing some of how Blades in the Dark does gear - but lots of other small changes along the way.

If you're interested in free games about misfits and spaceships check it out!

https://adrian-thoen.itch.io/impulse-drive

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Foglet posted:

Yeah, but while his Broken Worlds (a K6BD game) is PbtA, Lancer isn't and has been presented like more of an SotDL hack.
Does anyone here know if Broken Worlds if any good, by the way? I heard criticism.

Coming to this a bit late but Lancer is undoubtedly not a PbtA hack in the strictest sense, but the latest draft does incorporate a new Advanced Pilot Play section which is much more strongly inspired by PbtA's rules framework. There's a very active Discord server and in fact several people in the homebrewing channel are in the process of kitbashing an even more strongly PbtA hack for Advanced Pilot Play if anyone's interested in lending some advice.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kai Tave posted:

Coming to this a bit late but Lancer is undoubtedly not a PbtA hack in the strictest sense, but the latest draft does incorporate a new Advanced Pilot Play section which is much more strongly inspired by PbtA's rules framework. There's a very active Discord server and in fact several people in the homebrewing channel are in the process of kitbashing an even more strongly PbtA hack for Advanced Pilot Play if anyone's interested in lending some advice.

They didn't say Lancer was a PbtA hack, but a SotDL one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Angrymog posted:

They didn't say Lancer was a PbtA hack, but a SotDL one.

Yes I know, I was agreeing with them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I'm thinking about running a game based on My Hero Academia and after seeing how TAZ has been doing with PbtA with Monster of the Week I'm thinking of giving the system a go and I'm wondering what system would suit better between Worlds In Peril or Masks or something I'm not seeing.

To clarify the idea I had in mind was making it set in the US with the players working for an agency.
I went with US largely because MHA hasn't gone into the US much so it was fertile grounds for setting.

So, thoughts, opinions, calling me a weeb dork, anything?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not familiar with Worlds in Peril or MHA, but Masks has a very specific kind of story in mind: adolescent superheroes who are trying to figure out their place in the world, with all the teen angst drama and confrontations with flawed authority figures that that implies. It's a really good system for doing its thing, and it's reasonably decent at the standard superhero-adventure portions, but the meat of a Masks game is going to be interpersonal and coming-of-age stuff. If that's what you want, I'd go for it, but if not, it's not going to work out.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Masks seems like a really bad game for MHA for the simple reason that the central adult/child relationships are while not flawless, incredibly positive. Like, Deku is probably a Legacy in game terms and the assumption that Legacies are about having the past trying to force itself on the shape of the future aren't really appropriate to All Might's nurturing and even fanboyish relationship with Deku.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Deku is honestly more of a Protege, in my opinion, with the way he interacts with All Might.

Also, I don’t think that Masks leans too dark for MHA, it’s just a matter of the table agreeing to a lighter tone in the spirit of the work. That probably means, for example, not using the Transformed or Doomed playbooks unless you’re willing to go more serious in tone.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, thoughts, opinions, calling me a weeb dork, anything?

Well, first of all, it should be legal to hunt scum like you in the streets for sport, obviously.

Second, Masks is more of a angsty teen relationship game that also has superpowers, Worlds in Peril is, from what I've heard, a bit unpolished. You could also take a look at City of Mist, that's also a PbtA about superpowereds.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

Masks seems like a really bad game for MHA for the simple reason that the central adult/child relationships are while not flawless, incredibly positive. Like, Deku is probably a Legacy in game terms and the assumption that Legacies are about having the past trying to force itself on the shape of the future aren't really appropriate to All Might's nurturing and even fanboyish relationship with Deku.

Well, one of the "members of the Legacy" you can note is a former foe who's still at large. Regardless of what the actual person of All Might is doing to "force itself on the shape of the future", the idea of All Might is driving a hell of a lot.

Also Deku completely took "The Legacy Matters" and is gladly shorting out his own labels for potential and +1 forward.

Masks is much more about HeroAca than it is about the world of HeroAca - one of the primary mechanics of the game is that your stats are drastically in flux based on your own resolve and what the people you respect or fear tell you that you are. As part of advancing through the game you lock down parts of your identity and can eventually "retire" to being an established hero.

So if you wanted to run an American counterpart to HeroAca, full of sullen and fractionally-less-sullen teens, Masks is great. If you're actually doing established heroes, you might want to look at Worlds In Peril, though it is as said a bit rough around the edges.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Some weird, peculiar questions about AW:

1. What are the best examples of Battlebabes in fiction? Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil series is probably the most obvious answer, but IMO Snake Plissken was the first Battlebabe, followed by Trash in Bronx Warriors 2 (he was a Chopper in the first one), and most recently, Mad Max by the time of Fury Road.

Meanwhile, John Wick and the Punisher are straight up gunluggers.

2. What is the value of tags like +valuable and +high-tech? Don't they play out purely as constraints?

3. Why did they take the new rules for weapon ranges and harm back out?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 6, 2018

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Halloween Jack posted:

Some weird, peculiar questions about AW:

1. What are the best examples of Battlebabes in fiction? Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil series is probably the most obvious answer, but IMO Snake Plissken was the first Battlebabe, followed by Trash in Bronx Warriors 2 (he was a Chopper in the first one), and most recently, Mad Max by the time of Fury Road.

Han Solo.

More seriously, Battlebabes are great at getting themselves out (and in, let's be honest) of trouble but not necessarily by shooting their way out of it. They're not particularly Hard so they've got to be a little smarter about their engagements and rely on their Cool if things go south.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I was watching Into the Badlands earlier and I thought Sunny might be a pretty solid example of a Battlebabe. Maybe the Widow as well. It's a pretty Battlebabe heavy show. Incidentally, the setting is really distinctive as post-apocalyptica goes and something similar would be a pretty cool setup for AW.

Trinity from the Matrix is another good one.

Valuable and hi-tech are "worth more than 1-barter." Personally I'd also let them be used to impress people etc., like wearing a sweet hat to get yourself into a flashy party or something.

As for ranges, :shrug:

megane fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Ur-Battlebabe is absolutely Zed from Zardoz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
James Bond: good at stunts, has lots of sex but is unaffected emotionally by it most of the time