Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

InevitableCheese posted:

Hello goons, I've never been into racing at all but since trying out simulation games it's really grabbed my interest. I've only ever thought of NASCAR because of where I'm located, so I'm new to most of the terminology and popular championships. What's a good way to get caught up for a newbie on everything?

This is also a really good read that I highly recommend, and will help you make better decisions when passing or being passed:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

TremorX posted:

This is also a really good read that I highly recommend, and will help you make better decisions when passing or being passed:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/amp/

If only we could get Verstappen to read this.

e: also, if you ever - like ever - get the chance to talk to someone who actually does racing - irregardless at what level - listen to them if you get the chance to talk to them. The input you can get from real race drivers will help you tremendously, and the nice thing is that sometimes, you can actually help THEM with their simulator setup, because most of them have some kind of simulator at home, but not all of them have the money/personal to set all the software stuff up perfectly. Or they don't even know about stuff like crewchief etc.

I once had the very, VERY big pleasure to talk to Daniel Juncadella on a discord (well, me and a bunch of other simracing nerds), and the setup tips he shared there (he uses the same simracing game at home as the rest of discord did) helped me shave about 1.2 seconds off my laptime at Hockenheim and around 0.8 seconds at Lausitzring.

Imo, the more you dig into simracing, you more you realize what it actually takes to be a professional race driver (outside of talent) regarding setup knowledge and stuff like that.

So if you get the chance, talk to race drivers. Some of them might laugh about simracing, but most either do it themselves or are super open to give a beginner some tips.

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 19, 2018

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Do any of you play project cars 2 with a controller on PC? I'm getting this really weird issue where when there is a certain fuel level in the car there are certain cars where I just cannot turn the wheel all the way. So for example I was messing around with the F50 GT in quali with really low fuel levels and everything was fine. Then when I went to the race and upped my fuel level I could only turn the wheel 50% of the way or there abouts. Same thing has happened to me in the ford GT LM GTE. But for some cars I don't have any issues with that happening.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For those of you with a wheel and 2 pedal setup: do you left foot brake? If so, do you get shin pain from hovering over the pedal so much?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I two foot all the time. You’ll lose a lot of seconds moving your right foot

I’d argue if you are in pain you need to move the pedals away from you a bit. It usually means you are having to pull your foot away actively. Your pedal action should really be all in the ankle and your leg should be fairly still.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I mostly do 20 minute sprints, so any hovering I do is not for very long. You can much more easily "hover" by anchoring the but of your heel in front of the pedal (mostly just what Jim above said). If you really want to put down pressure and lift the heel up during braking, you can... but then just go right back to having your heel rest against the floor while not braking.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

For those of you with a wheel and 2 pedal setup: do you left foot brake? If so, do you get shin pain from hovering over the pedal so much?

Depending on how stiff the paddle is, you can also adjust the deadzone. Rest your foot on the brake, and then adjust the deadzone so that no signal is shown. Thus, you can rest the foot on the brake without the car braking. Then again, I also hover and put the foot next to the pedal when I know I don't have to brake for some time (straight etc)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I've started streaming my racing, with webcams facing my feet and the wheel, and I was surprised to find that I take my foot off the brake, and rest it by rotating my heel when I dont have any braking coming up. I didnt even realize I did that, but I do. I move my foot back just before I'm coming to a braking point. If I'm near other cars and will have to actively avoid being a bumpy boi, I tend to leave my foot on the pedal.

All the months I've been racing in my rig and I never realized how I actually use it until I recorded it, so much of it is muscle memory.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies guys.

I do the relax-on-the-straights thing already, and I also moved my pedals almost as far as possible away from me already.

I'll see if the return spring is strong enough to let me rest on it, but other than that it sounds like I just need to toughen up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey, development hell rally game gRally finally came out in early access. Haven't had time to mess with it yet but it's £3 so I picked it up anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is every online racing game that isn't iRacing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGxE8TYCj0I

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verstappen's gamertag spotted.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GT Sport is clean at the upper levels but yeah most every other game is that or worse

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

Verstappen's gamertag spotted.

Just wanted to post that

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Zaphod42 posted:

This is every online racing game that isn't iRacing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGxE8TYCj0I

Oh goodie, someone was a dick so the only answer is to be a dick too. This is every online racing game... including iRacing. Come race at simracingsystem.com where both of these tools would have been banned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As in real life racing, it's best to avoid any car that has a Red Bull livery. It's just going to run you off the road.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Imagine being so mad about some dickhead in a public lobby somewhere that not only do you do the stupid mist of red revenge poo poo and end your race but go to the effort to make some crybaby Youtube video about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah if I was gonna put that kind of effort into a thing I'd make drat sure I look like a loving angel. Jesus himself would show up and be all "bro you did good and he's the worst and ain't welcome in my house no more. good job."

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

My favourite Nords lobby is one where a couple of drunken guys sit there all day in like LMP1 cars as well as GT3 cars, at the tourist exit, and they gamble about at what turn they can sandwich you into death.

I actually like practising in this lobby, because it means something if you can escape the sandwich and they send like some open wheeler after you.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’d love of these games had an in game currency system that was hard to earn and you had to use it to pay for repairs to your cars. That would curb dirty racing real quick.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

I’d love of these games had an in game currency system that was hard to earn and you had to use it to pay for repairs to your cars. That would curb dirty racing real quick.

Or when the inevitable money exploits happen you end up with the same kinds of assholes doing the same things, just now they have an impact beyond ruining one race.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

F1 2018 is gonna allow you to manage the ERS yourself (finally). The halo is there, in a somewhat weird off-center external view. There's also a nose cam view which is probably what I will use myself.

I am kinda getting the hunch that there won't be VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk1FntYSFqM

Edit: I just realized the halo angle is the on-board camera angle from the broadcasts. It might be possible they're showing the lap in replay mode with broadcast angles, not actual gameplay angles. At least I would think so, since having a gameplay angle where you're off center on top of the halo seems like questionable design.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 24, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The off-centre t-cam is a view a lot of people use so it'll be an option. Nose cam I don't think has been a view option before so probably don't expect it. As for VR I got the impression from VR being in Dirt Rally then not in Dirt 4 that the numbers said it wasn't worth their time to implement into the engine which isn't that surprising.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That perspective mimics what they use for the TV broadcast so that's why it's off to the left.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

As for VR I got the impression from VR being in Dirt Rally then not in Dirt 4 that the numbers said it wasn't worth their time to implement into the engine which isn't that surprising.

I've heard that, but it seems like a pretty weak excuse. When some amateur can patch a 14 year old game (Richard Burns Rally) to work with VR, surely it can't be all that complicated.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Steen71 posted:

I've heard that, but it seems like a pretty weak excuse. When some amateur can patch a 14 year old game (Richard Burns Rally) to work with VR, surely it can't be all that complicated.

It is rather complicated if you also have to deliver pretty graphics and your engine isn't made for easily scaling down so it runs well in VR. Then again, there are enough racing sims that implemented VR quite well even if they weren't made for it from the start, and if you look at something like PCars2 that had it on the table from the very start, it should be possible for a studio like Codemasters.

Imo, it also depends on the target audience....if it's a diehard sim, there might be more VR-nerds in the audience than with a simcade game like the F1 series.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Thing is Assetto Corsa has a lazy quick bolted on VR and I find it frustrating. So yeah, proper VR does take some testing and development and they probably figured very few use it.

That said, I only JUST got dirt 4, I would have bought it at launch if it had VR support. (Its actually better than everybody made it out to be too)

Looking forward to f1 2018. I hope they let you control the car during gridding and pit lane. I HATE having control taken away ever during a race. Its super lazy.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I hope they let you control the car during gridding and pit lane. I HATE having control taken away ever during a race. Its super lazy.

That's why I like rFactor. Getting lost on the camping ground with your GT3 car because it's a track you never raced before and have no clue where to exit the tourist entry towards the actual race track never gets old.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tuo posted:

That's why I like rFactor. Getting lost on the camping ground with your GT3 car because it's a track you never raced before and have no clue where to exit the tourist entry towards the actual race track never gets old.

Damnit now I guess I have to buy rFactor too

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Thanks for the tips, guys, been reading Skip Barber's books and learning alot. I've been taking the GT86 out on Vallelunga Club, and am slowly shaving off time.

It's a shame most of these games don't have built in leaderboards, and if I'm correct, RSR is shutting down for AC soon? Without leaderboards it's hard to know how I'm doing compared to others. I guess just trying to improve my own times is enough?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Imo codemasters only recently turned it around they were downhill for awhile there honestly. I think they should learn to walk before they run and they seem like they are just now getting to solid releases and post launch support for their games. If vr would be hard to support as well i can see why they arent doing it. Also that license is up soon i think so any sort of flop or backlash would hurt pretty bad. Not that vr would cause chaos or anything but it is more to juggle and those forums arent pretty on a good release lol.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

InevitableCheese posted:

and if I'm correct, RSR is shutting down for AC soon?

They recently extended their service for one year, I'm pretty sure. That was a month or two ago.

Hopefully ACC will have a built in leaderboard service.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Just noticed spirit of lemans dlc for project cars 2. I didnt hear anything about it and no reviews yet but it looks like it has a historical le mans and 9 cars. Pretty rad dlc. Has a porsche 924 and the 961. porsche got the most love but both versions of the 1970 ferrari 512 are in.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think next time PC2 is on sale I'm gonna give it another go. I refunded it at release because I just didn't feel it.

Edit: Oh wait it's on sale right now!

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 5, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's 24 dollars.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Are there a decent amount of goons playing this lately? If so I'll probably pick it up at this price and avoid the Turn 1 chaos.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The lemans dlc is better than i expected. The track is worth the price on its own. I have no idea if its a perfect recreation but i totally buy that it is. Like signs and everything are the right logos for the era. Ive only driven the 512 but its an awesome car. When it lets go it really gets wild but its easy to keep it tame. Lot of cool little details, has a vintage road atlanta sticker inside the cockpit. Imo this dlc is their best ever but i really dig the vintage cars and endurance cars so there isnt a car here i wouldnt like i guess. Same for the track, i pretty much only switched to 2 because it had vintage spa and rouen les essarts. This vintage track blows both of those out of the water. Its real good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think PCars 2 is underrated. Its not quite iRacing but its like almost as realistic, and has rain and day and night and while the AI isn't amazing (none are) its at least something to race against if you just want some practice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I think PCars 2 is underrated. Its not quite iRacing but its like almost as realistic, and has rain and day and night and while the AI isn't amazing (none are) its at least something to race against if you just want some practice.

but what about my ovals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PCars 2 still carries the stink of PCars 1 to me, every time someone told me they'd fixed the problems with that game I'd reinstall it and everything that annoyed me was still there so PCars 2 needs to get a lot cheaper or end up in a bundle before I'd likely give it a shot.