Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Just got back into this game after binge on CK2 for a bit. Doing my first machine people run and haven't gotten too far yet but really appreciate the reworking of the hyper lanes. Much easier to carve out a piece of space and control access/create limited entry points into my space. Spawned next to the center of my 2 arm spiral galaxy and have enough living space now to control like 15% of the galaxy despite only have 4 total entrances to my space due to hyperlane choke points and aggressively looking for those points and expanding only to the points first to deny access. It took a poo poo load of game time to actually meet a different species as I looked inward once I secured my desired borders.

Looking forward to creating monstrous deterrents/delaying battle stations to delay any possible future invasion.

Kind of makes me feel like I am gestating in a giant cosmic machine egg.

It's extremely easy to just pump out pops and build insane amounts of infrastructure if you pick the two traits that give you plus 10% energy and minerals, and having the empire modifier of +10% minerals; its nuts. probably about 75 years in and I have like 90 pops on 5 planets, twice as many pops as next biggest empire, due to being able to settle any planet, picking the biggest ones, and filling the pop que each time I colonize as I am just overloaded with money and minerals. Not sure how where I am going to go diplomacy wise but I think that I may just gestate / spectate other wars until I can add an additional gov ethic or whatever and switch my ethics to "EXTERMINATE ALL BIOLOGICAL LIFE BEEP BOOP" and metaphorically hatch.

also no FE on my side of the galaxy which means not randomly getting curb stomped. Much enjoying the continued work by the developers on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

EmbryoSteve posted:

Just got back into this game after binge on CK2 for a bit. Doing my first machine people run and haven't gotten too far yet but really appreciate the reworking of the hyper lanes. Much easier to carve out a piece of space and control access/create limited entry points into my space. Spawned next to the center of my 2 arm spiral galaxy and have enough living space now to control like 15% of the galaxy despite only have 4 total entrances to my space due to hyperlane choke points and aggressively looking for those points and expanding only to the points first to deny access. It took a poo poo load of game time to actually meet a different species as I looked inward once I secured my desired borders.

Looking forward to creating monstrous deterrents/delaying battle stations to delay any possible future invasion.

Kind of makes me feel like I am gestating in a giant cosmic machine egg.

It's extremely easy to just pump out pops and build insane amounts of infrastructure if you pick the two traits that give you plus 10% energy and minerals, and having the empire modifier of +10% minerals; its nuts. probably about 75 years in and I have like 90 pops on 5 planets, twice as many pops as next biggest empire, due to being able to settle any planet, picking the biggest ones, and filling the pop que each time I colonize as I am just overloaded with money and minerals. Not sure how where I am going to go diplomacy wise but I think that I may just gestate / spectate other wars until I can add an additional gov ethic or whatever and switch my ethics to "EXTERMINATE ALL BIOLOGICAL LIFE BEEP BOOP" and metaphorically hatch.

also no FE on my side of the galaxy which means not randomly getting curb stomped. Much enjoying the continued work by the developers on this game.

Determined Exterminators, Driven Assimilators, and Rogue Servitors are all civics that must be chosen at the start of a game. You cannot pick them up mid-game.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Shadowlyger posted:

Determined Exterminators, Driven Assimilators, and Rogue Servitors are all civics that must be chosen at the start of a game. You cannot pick them up mid-game.

:sad:

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
What's a good bunch of traits and civics for expanding and exploring quickly while mostly being friends. I want a chill and straightforward game to go gently caress around with distant stars stuff. Are machine empires or hive minds pointless without going swarm, extermination, assimilation or servitor?

E: I hate dealing with democracies oligarchies and slaves more than anything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nothing's stopping you from rolling up your robo-sleeves and killing all meatbags the old-fashioned way, it just means you don't get the baked-in bonuses those ethics do.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Mahasamatman posted:

What's a good bunch of traits and civics for expanding and exploring quickly while mostly being friends. I want a chill and straightforward game to go gently caress around with distant stars stuff. Are machine empires or hive minds pointless without going swarm, extermination, assimilation or servitor?

E: I hate dealing with democracies oligarchies and slaves more than anything.

you can be a nice hive mind or nice robots. democracies oligarchies and slaves are pretty much the de facto alternatives to gestalt consciousness of varying flavors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I wish you could set where aliens can live more on a planet by planet basis because, for me anyways, if a planet is in a sector or not has very little to do with it's status as "core" world. In fact the ones I'm manually controlling are generally my frontier planets I'm still building up to then throw into a sector.

Mm, it's a bit irritating as a gaia worlder because I would quite like to let my other species live wherever, but if you all bundle into every habitat or gaia world I find, then my own dudes literally can't live anywhere else.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Hmm well first time I've ran across this bug.
A 50k federation fleet is destroying my two 100k+ fleets because they aren't engaging.
I also can't retreat because they don't think they are in combat or something? Gonna try ending process and hope it reverts to before the battle and try again.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Krazuel posted:

Hmm well first time I've ran across this bug.
A 50k federation fleet is destroying my two 100k+ fleets because they aren't engaging.
I also can't retreat because they don't think they are in combat or something? Gonna try ending process and hope it reverts to before the battle and try again.

This is a bug that's been in a while and still not fixed. Goes away on a save/reload.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Why can't I be nice assimilators?

They all think I am terrible for teaching them the truth about Robot Jesus. It just includes putting a few things into your body to accept Robot Jesus.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
:negative:

I decided to see how the AI does without Glavius AI and in the process found out that mod is somehow completely overriding The Utopian Dream's ascension perk changes despite a big thing on Glavius' page saying 'NOW COMPATIBLE WITH 100% OF ALL MODS'. Modding! :argh:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1003976340054466562?s=19

Literally all my Spiritualist factions are going to be called The Westboro Baptist Church from now on.

Haha, I was just wishing I could do this earlier today. It's one of those little things that I always wanted but never thought it was important enough to bother anyone else.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Shadowlyger posted:

If you're playing a Machine AI without one of these traits, you're basically playing the AI from the Matrix - hooking up all captured pops to the power grid and harvesting them for energy. It's a gentler start as no-one automatically hates you, you can communicate and form alliances with biological races, etc. At some stage your technology will exceed the 6 power captured pops generate, and at that point you change the racial templates to purge, chemical processing. It's genocide and everyone will hate you but whatever, you can still form an alliance with all the determined exterminators and assimilators out there, they don't care about it so much.

Alternatively, if you hold out long enough you can turn all your worlds into machine worlds, all the bio pops die off and you it doesn't count as genocide. That way you can keep your fleshy allies around.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I am so tired of losing battles I should win because the enemy brought their stupid little army to the fleet engagement and my fleet spent the first 20 seconds destroying it instead of the ships shooting at it. How the gently caress is this a thing

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yay another bug.

5% shield research apparently turns free when it hits like level 30?
I researched like 20 levels with free cost until I hit level 50 and then it looks like the cost has rolled over to starting levels.
Currently have +315% shields.
No mods most if not all DLC.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

I am so tired of losing battles I should win because the enemy brought their stupid little army to the fleet engagement and my fleet spent the first 20 seconds destroying it instead of the ships shooting at it. How the gently caress is this a thing
This and primarying stations when there are brittle ships to shoot is why I'm not playing right now. Those are "must fix before I buy any DLC or launch the game again" territory now.

The fact that long range ships don't fly away from contact and things with PD hug missile launching ships despite being on picket duty is also infuriating. I guess in 2200 they don't get the concept of "shoot the weakest target first" or "you have weapons that require some range to work so don't facehug the things you are trying to keep distance from". Like...PD is useless if your ships hug the things shooting missiles, because then PD doesn't get to shoot the missile because the missile hits it's target immediately.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Krazuel posted:

Yay another bug.

I researched like 20 levels with free cost until I hit level 50 and then it looks like the cost has rolled over to starting levels.

Honestly though, if your shields get that high the game is at the stage where you're just running up the score.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Krazuel posted:

Yay another bug.

Integer overflow is a thing. There are a few items in the game that, if you let the game go on way longer than intended, roll over like that.

TL;DR: The cost got so high it ran out of numbers and went back to the lowest possible value (a negative number)

This is the reason Gandhi in the Civ games is nuke happy. He'd be so mellow he'd roll over to warmonger and nuke everyone.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
A bit bummed you can't use the machine ascension path to become a full-on gestalt mind and/or integrate the captured robo empire pops into productive members of society. I'm a robot now!
Last run I became robots, peacefully vassalized the two determined exterminator empires (ok, the first one wasn't THAT peaceful) but integrating them made me automatically dismantle every single one and I had to rebuild their planet's pops from scratch..

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

As a Devouring Swarm, and I supposed to get food when purging robots? Because I'm totally getting food for purging these Driven Assimilators and their Rogue Servitor buddies. Not just from their biological pops, but from the robots too.

And unlike the bio pops, the robots aren't generating any unrest.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ConfusedUs posted:

As a Devouring Swarm, and I supposed to get food when purging robots? Because I'm totally getting food for purging these Driven Assimilators and their Rogue Servitor buddies. Not just from their biological pops, but from the robots too.
Mmm, tasty metal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IAmTheRad posted:

Why can't I be nice assimilators?

They all think I am terrible for teaching them the truth about Robot Jesus. It just includes putting a few things into your body to accept Robot Jesus.

I'm making friends with some dedicated assimilators in my current game. As egalitarian spiritualists too. About to 40 opinion and 70 trust.

"<<Booting diplomatic protocols>>"

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Thinking about it more, are there any major hurdles to a slave empire? Do I have to do more micromanaging or do I just enslave anyone on mineral and/or food tiles? Are there slave rebellions? Do I make sure to build extra armies or strongholds or something? I haven't really put any time into them before.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ConfusedUs posted:

Integer overflow is a thing. There are a few items in the game that, if you let the game go on way longer than intended, roll over like that.

TL;DR: The cost got so high it ran out of numbers and went back to the lowest possible value (a negative number)

This is the reason Gandhi in the Civ games is nuke happy. He'd be so mellow he'd roll over to warmonger and nuke everyone.

Well it probably isn't negative, since the value is presumably unsigned. It'll just be small.

Though the better answer is "why the gently caress would you keep playing long enough to research 50 levels of repeating techs??" :psypop:

It would be a serious outlier for my games to run past 2500, what are you people even doing?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’ve had that issue with unity, where I was generating so much of it, I hit some cap and just went back to 0. Still ended up getting enough within a few years that it didn’t even affect my unity edicts :v:

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

PittTheElder posted:

Well it probably isn't negative, since the value is presumably unsigned. It'll just be small.

Though the better answer is "why the gently caress would you keep playing long enough to research 50 levels of repeating techs??" :psypop:

It would be a serious outlier for my games to run past 2500, what are you people even doing?

The year was like 2430 or something when that happened. After I teched out to only the % upgrades shields is the only one i researched because I wasn't using any energy weapons nor needed the extra energy. I think when shields hit 30 is when it turned free and then I basically instantly upgraded another 20 levels until it hit 50.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

My comp was strugging with the mid game before this latest patch, now things are running nice and smooth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Trying to RP WH40K with extremely strict rules of empire generation?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mahasamatman posted:

Thinking about it more, are there any major hurdles to a slave empire? Do I have to do more micromanaging or do I just enslave anyone on mineral and/or food tiles? Are there slave rebellions? Do I make sure to build extra armies or strongholds or something? I haven't really put any time into them before.

If you go with the Civic that lets you design your slave species, make your main species focus on Science/Energy/Unity/Leader buff traits and your enslaved species minerals/combat (unless you're a pacifist).

Been tinkering with a Authorization, Militarist, Materialist empire build and it is capable of insane mineral output at times. Might rebuild and add some synergy with Edicts if I can, since they own. Might drop Materialist for Xenophobic too.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

If you go with the Civic that lets you design your slave species, make your main species focus on Science/Energy/Unity/Leader buff traits and your enslaved species minerals/combat (unless you're a pacifist).

Been tinkering with a Authorization, Militarist, Materialist empire build and it is capable of insane mineral output at times. Might rebuild and add some synergy with Edicts if I can, since they own. Might drop Materialist for Xenophobic too.

Authoritarian and spiritualist are a good pairing, as temples help offset the drift to egalitarianism that slaves engender.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have your core worlds set to citizen pops only?

That was it, thanks :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Aethernet posted:

Authoritarian and spiritualist are a good pairing, as temples help offset the drift to egalitarianism that slaves engender.

Yeah my problem is I'm a whore for science gains, so even the small buff to science from Materialist is attractive to me. But I guess less important since it can be gotten with techs and other nonsense.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

As of a few updates ago really happy slaves now drift authoritarian.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

As of a few updates ago really happy slaves now drift authoritarian.

But...but why would you want your slaves to be happy?!?!?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

But...but why would you want your slaves to be happy?!?!?

I like all the bars to be green, okay? Let's me know everything is fine. Yellow and red bars are indicative of thought crime and needs to be corrected.

Harmony traditions in combination with space coke "spice" (Which is now back to the crystals for some reason) and space orgy can make for some really happy pops, regardless of their situation in life.

What's usually more of a problem is "high living standards" also causes eglitarin drift. Apparently when you leave everyone to wallow in poverty they just accept it but when you start giving them things like food nd shelter they start thinking they can think for themselves all of a sudden. Ungreatful bastards.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
It's funny, I'm doing a slaver game now and gave my main species Caste System rights, with slavery type being Domestic Servitude. And I've got two slave factions, Content Servicers and Forgotten Underground with 75% and 63% faction happiness respectively. So apparently life is great for everyone* in my barbaric despoiler slaver/pirate empire.

*Everyone in this case being my primary species, anyone else is going to have a bad time.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Mahasamatman posted:

You can go small into micromanaging or hard into it. At the smallest level, leave your starting race on the default option of "caste system", this auto-enslaves pops on food/mineral tiles while not enslaving other tiles. At a higher level you could start with syncreatic evolution, specialist your second race is uber miners/fighters and your main race into science gods, and occasionally shuffle pops around to make sure the proper people are on the proper tiles. If you're planning on doing biological ascension, option 2 is really handy because your mining/science pops are already split and easy to improve.

The slave processing facility is a really strong building, +10% slave output, and generates +2 food/minerals. This means it activates both food and minerals on a tile, and each output also gets the bonus from being adjacent to your planetary capital.

The Harmony tradition tree is really strong, and is a solid 2nd tree option (after discovery). You're one of the only people that benefit from -unrest, and paradise domes are baller. Between those and slave processing you'll cover most of the food needed for a colony, and the benefits from harmony are all great for a growing empire.

Your main faction will want the domination tree unlocked. I wouldn't delay finishing your first tree to do so, but take the hit and unlock it once the faction forms. You'll get a lot of influence from doing so, and when you're actually able to vassalize someone it is handy.

There are slave rebellions but they're really rare. As in I don't think I've seen one actually occur. The only time I'd really be worried is if you've got a planet that is so mine heavy you have unrest going, and tossing a fortress down would probably solve it (plus those generate unity, so not a total loss). On a note to this, you also benefit more from having a high level empire leader (-5 unrest, +5 edict duration, +3% unity per ruler level) so things that increase that can be pretty useful. On a downside note, I believe the max level is hard capped to 10, even though you can get over 10 in terms of bonuses.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mahasamatman posted:

My first run ever was as a Barbaric Despoiler with slave guilds. I made my main species a bunch of dumb, strong, excellent-soldier orcs. About 50 years in, I realized that my own guys were wayyyy better slaves than any other species I could potentially enslave, which really threw a damper on the whole "galaxy in chains" motif I was going for.

Really, you want your main species to be effete science/energy producing types who snatch lesser species (preferably with Charismatic or Strong traits) to do the dirty farming/mining/soldiering work. Think Dark Eldar from WH40K.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bug report- I attacked a -1000 hostile neighbor, while coaxing a neighbor on their other side into joining me in my war. This was a traditional all-or-nothing fight, no claims. At the war's end, we had each carved about half of the territory out when they surrendered, and everything we'd taken became ours automatically. The neighbor I was fighting with instantly went hostile and closed borders, citing claims on my systems? I'm guessing that what happened was that they'd claimed the systems while the hostile neighbor was there, but I happened to take them during the conflict.

This is pretty aggravating because afaik I can't even see which systems it is they are claiming. Not that I'd give them away, but it'd be nice to see how much it would cost me to get the borders open again. The last piece of my alien zoo is in there, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You can see - use the Manage Claims option and mouseover the systems in question. It'll tell you who has a claim on it. It would be nice to have a Claims mapmode though.