Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Araby and Cathay and so on are way too culturally insensitive; the next game will probably just be daemons and End Times content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Araby and Cathay and so on are way too culturally insensitive; the next game will probably just be daemons and End Times content.

This.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
honestly Dogs of War is going to be fascinating in that regard, because they really had the barest loving skeleton of an army list to begin with

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Haha. Culturally insensitive.

Is this going to be another "you can't say nippon" thing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
One of the code branches is "Carpet," Araby's going in and I can't wait. Besides they already have an official Warmaster list and models, while Cathay doesn't have anything from GW.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Technically the eastern factions got some rules in like, 2nd or 3rd. Amazing creations like “ashigaru”, “samurai”, and “asiatic horde chinamen”

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

This argument is incredibly stupid

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Dramicus posted:

The map extension would have to be far too big. The only type of those factions that could sort of fit into the Mortal Empires map are the Kingdoms of Ind. They are located just to the right of the gulf. It's likely we will never see any of the far east factions.

Edit: see my ultra professional map

1)Yes. 2)No.

Kinda liked this (old) map, but everything east of Chaos Dwarves and Ogres is a long shot. Still, adding totally not asian empires and beastman kingdoms would pretty much complete Warhammer Total War.

https://royalpsycho.deviantart.com/art/Warhammer-World-Map-by-Zanzibar-with-nations-654039761

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It seems to me that modern GW are being fairly hands off, "keep the money rolling" with TWW, so I'd imagine that CA has, in not carte blanche, then at least carte-off-white when it comes to adding stuff to their games.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'd like ogres. i just want dudes carrying cannons as a unit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

As long as the magic carpet cavalry don't come with bomb vest infantry, I think making Araby a faction is fine. Fantasy Arabia and fantasy China are pretty far removed from today's political controversies, unless people want to be super particular about appropriation (in which case I guess we'll just have boring fantasy Europe poo poo forever). They're already doing Three Kingdoms, so I don't see why Cathay would be out of bounds.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 5, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

hemale in pain posted:

i'd like ogres. i just want dudes carrying cannons as a unit.

Between Chaos Dorf Earthshakers and Ogre Kingdom Ironblasters, TWW3 is gonna be when the real big boy guns enter the field. :getin:

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I could see this for Nippon, but Cathay just seems like medieval China with magic. I thought Araby seemed too insensitive/on the nose for being literally named Arab-y but after the carpet code branch name thing I'm convinced it's actually coming.

Also why was "spaghetti" assumed to mean Dogs of War? The only dog I'm aware of with that name was from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which also makes me want to play a Moononight faction

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 5, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Angrymantium posted:

I could see this for Nippon, but Cathay just seems like mythological China. I though Araby seemed too insensitive/on the nose for being literally named Arab-y but after the carpet code branch name thing I'm convinced it's actually coming.

Also why was "spaghetti" assumed to mean Dogs of War? The only dog I'm aware of with that name was from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which also makes me want to play a Moononight faction

Mostly because they're a faction of not-Italians and have a lot of things like DaVinci inspired flying machine troops etc.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
How are any of these posts real

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zore posted:

Mostly because they're a faction of not-Italians and have a lot of things like DaVinci inspired flying machine troops etc.

Sounds like they are putting the factions from Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends into the game. Dogs of War = Vinci, Araby = Alin, now what vague and rarely mentioned faction can be the fill in for Cuotl?? Or just add them to Lizardmen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GW decided to nuke the entire setting rather than release armies for the human kingdoms of the Far East

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I mean I'd be 100% on board with an Italian catapult that slung gigantic meatballs, honestly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

GW decided to nuke the entire setting rather than release armies for the human kingdoms of the Far East
Adding Nippon could would have acted like a honeypot similar to Tau in 40k.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

I mean I'd be 100% on board with an Italian catapult that slung gigantic meatballs, honestly.

That would be amazing. Someone has to make that a mod.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

add in the halfling steam tank with the gravy cannon and I'm sold

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PlushCow posted:

now what vague and rarely mentioned faction can be the fill in for Cuotl?? Or just add them to Lizardmen.

Amazons, 10000%

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There is a 0% chance of Cathay happening, they'd have to double the size of the ME map and look how much they had to cut to squeeze game 2's map in

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm playing a warriors of chaos run right now and Varg just confederated Helspire Tribe and then the Vanaheimlings a few turns later.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Wafflecopper posted:

There is a 0% chance of Cathay happening, they'd have to double the size of the ME map and look how much they had to cut to squeeze game 2's map in

Plenty of time to piss and raise my firstborn child waiting for each turn to end, bring it on.

I am gonna get SO MUCH laundry folded!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
meanwhile I just realized Avelorn is a homophone of Avalon and I feel dumb as poo poo

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I’m not holding out for Cathay, but I doubt the ME map having to cater to lore would factor into their decisions on making paid DLC. Put any super Far East lords on an edge or some islands by the coast and have the narrator go “Boy you sure are a long way from home, my Lord. Why not massacre the locals and start a new Kingdom”

Like how Teclis and Snake woman have completely different starts. Slap ‘em down wherever looks like it needs more action.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbh if there were anyone out there who could make warhammer fantasy-styled India, China, and Japan, it'd be CA. There's Empire, Shogun, and the upcoming Ro3K game. And of the two that were in games that were released, they certainly put more thought into bringing these places to life than GW did.

But they won't because that's too much work for what's basically just going to be Total Warhammer End Times

feller
Jul 5, 2006

gently caress off forever tyrion

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

gently caress off forever tyrion

be fair, your army would look considerably like that if the situation was reversed.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The player's wrath at Tyrion is only deepened by the knowledge that they would have done the exact same thing had their positions been reversed.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

tbh if there were anyone out there who could make warhammer fantasy-styled India, China, and Japan, it'd be CA. There's Empire, Shogun, and the upcoming Ro3K game. And of the two that were in games that were released, they certainly put more thought into bringing these places to life than GW did.

But they won't because that's too much work for what's basically just going to be Total Warhammer End Times

If it was something like, say, Nippon as Fall of the Samurai armies but with wizards or Ind as the Maratha confederation with tiger dudes (and wizards), I would plop down approximately all the money. As it is there just isn't much there for GW to build off of. At least Araby and Kislev both had minor lists in Warmaster from what my quick Google search told me so I could maybe see them being fleshed out but it seems like a stretch.

Unrelated, but after multiple false starts in a chaos campaign, kislev scares me because their doomstacks always came screaming into the chaos wastes and annihilated my armies.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Aurubin posted:

be fair, your army would look considerably like that if the situation was reversed.

No! I would have the cool high elf units like erm.. uhh... treekin?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

If it was something like, say, Nippon as Fall of the Samurai armies but with wizards or Ind as the Maratha confederation with tiger dudes (and wizards), I would plop down approximately all the money. As it is there just isn't much there for GW to build off of. At least Araby and Kislev both had minor lists in Warmaster from what my quick Google search told me so I could maybe see them being fleshed out but it seems like a stretch.

Unrelated, but after multiple false starts in a chaos campaign, kislev scares me because their doomstacks always came screaming into the chaos wastes and annihilated my armies.

Yeah I'm playing on Normal and even now they're a pain in the butt. Probably having more than one stack would help.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Angrymantium posted:

I could see this for Nippon, but Cathay just seems like medieval China with magic. I thought Araby seemed too insensitive/on the nose for being literally named Arab-y but after the carpet code branch name thing I'm convinced it's actually coming.

I don't see what would be insensitive about Araby being so literally named.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Araby and Cathay are archaic names for Arabia and China, respectively.

If GW wanted to keep the theme up, Nippon would instead be called Zipang.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'm aware of that. I just don't see the problem with it, especially not to the point where anybody would actively avoid developing the factions because of it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm agreeing with you, it just sounded like the person you were replying to didn't actually know about it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
pet peeve: Throgg says "I eat my enemies" but in his little intro clip he throws the dude aside instead of eating him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

packetmantis posted:

pet peeve: Throgg says "I eat my enemies" but in his little intro clip he throws the dude aside instead of eating him.

He has standards.