Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And thats another fisticuff win for Matt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
This is a pretty good LP. :allears:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
That ending was phenomenal

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Pat has become an appliance that lives forever.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I will never get over pat continuing to poo poo the bed interacting with his partner. Matt killing him is just the cherry on the sundae.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This is a pretty good LP. :allears:

That was fantastic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pat doing everything wrong to make Hank like him, then getting himself killed again, means his boss also is not going to like him. It's great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was kinda worried about them picking Connor must Die mode for a first playthrough but honestly, I'm starting to come around the more they keep Final Destinationing him.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Yea, if this were Heavy Rain we wouldn't even be at the trials part yet, we'd be making snacks for SHAUN.

Also, there's been plenty of stupid already, like the loving price of the androids.

Oh, sure. The grasping robohands in the junkyard were pretty forced and felt cribbed from God of War of all things, and both the artist's son and the little girl's dad would need a lot more nuance to be considered even caricatures. But the magoc of in-your-face hackdome is missing. Whomever they hired to hold the electric prod and keep Cage away from the editing room deserves his or her pay.

I kinda wish there was a Hideo Kojima version of this game. There'd by like 40 minutes of exposition on how the android blood works and exactly why it uses a gallium prosthetic group on its proto-hemoglobin instead of iron, and halfway through we'd learn that all life on earth has always been fake and all that ever existed were machines pretending to have once been humans, and it all is still somehow connected to the Tuskegee experiment. It'd be loving glorious.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pat doing everything wrong to make Hank like him, then getting himself killed again, means his boss also is not going to like him. It's great.

Matt was the one who killed Pat though. :v:

Matt is poo poo at QTEs. haha but goddamn that rage. Pat was maaad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I was kinda worried about them picking Connor must Die mode for a first playthrough but honestly, I'm starting to come around the more they keep Final Destinationing him.

Every Connor is born knowing it will soon die an increasingly painful and unlikely death.

:black101:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Watching Detroit 5 amd I feel like "self-surgery" should've been a square in the David Cage bingo.

edit: watching Detroit 6 and SHORT HAIRED WHITE GIRL

Dias fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 6, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
loving

That

Part 6 might be some of the funniest poo poo they've done in a long rear end time. Not anything against ANYTHING they've done recently but goddamn that is some peak level Genuine Frustration Pat Time

loving perfect timing

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Normally, Matt is my least favorite Best Friend, but that had me cracking the loving up.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

loving

That

Part 6 might be some of the funniest poo poo they've done in a long rear end time. Not anything against ANYTHING they've done recently but goddamn that is some peak level Genuine Frustration Pat Time

loving perfect timing

Pat genuinely trying but failing to make anything better while drunk-rear end Matt bumbles his way to victory is very strong.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pat's trying so badly though!

Hank clearly doesn't like it when Connor talks back to him so why does he keep doing?!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Hank clearly doesn't like it when Connor talks back to him so why does he keep doing?!

I like how Pat thought "threaten" would lead to a positive outcome.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

WampaLord posted:

I like how Pat thought "threaten" would lead to a positive outcome.

These are the people that think telling a suicidal hostage taker that they will be destroyed if they surrender, is a good idea.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty eh on what I've seen of Detroit as a story, but the depth of the branching storytelling is gonna give them some fantastic ways to gently caress things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Pat's still got retail PTSD so when Hank starts belittling him he has an episode and the fact that he's big now (In game) means he doesn't have to be pushed around anymore.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Nalesh posted:

These are the people that think telling a suicidal hostage taker that they will be destroyed if they surrender, is a good idea.

That seemed more like a “Glass Him” situationbut more stupid because he though the truth was they weren’t going to kill the hostage

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Motto posted:

I'm pretty eh on what I've seen of Detroit as a story, but the depth of the branching storytelling is gonna give them some fantastic ways to gently caress things.

I'm really wondering how much of it is just smokescreens where the story gets railroaded anyway. Like if they had picked a different spot than the motel would the rest of the story have been completely different or would it just lead to the same scene but from a different angle?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kara and the kid could've died in that scene, that's a major branching point

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've seen bits where the same dialogue is used in different scenes, but even then they're in much different contexts leading up to divergent outcomes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh man that moment is going to go down in best friends history/lore.

I feel bad for Connor, which is funny because he's the only one who hasn't actually gone deviant.

WampaLord posted:

Also, there's been plenty of stupid already, like the loving price of the androids.

I don't really see the problem with that, or at least it's a pretty easy thing to suspend disbelief for? It seems like a good explanation for how you have 40% unemployment, and people treating them as disposable/replaceable in general to the point there's a landfill of the things.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it's okay, Connor would have died to Vile at the end of the highway stage anyway

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

I don't really see the problem with that, or at least it's a pretty easy thing to suspend disbelief for? It seems like a good explanation for how you have 40% unemployment, and people treating them as disposable/replaceable in general to the point there's a landfill of the things.

Because the price of them is loving ridiculous. For 8k a piece, i'm astounded that the game world's unemployment rate isn't at least double that. Why would any employer ever hire a human again when a superior option is available for half what a minimum wage job would pay yearly.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You've already thought about this more than the people who wrote it ever did

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Because the price of them is loving ridiculous. For 8k a piece, i'm astounded that the game world's unemployment rate isn't at least double that. Why would any employer ever hire a human again when a superior option is available for half what a minimum wage job would pay yearly.

Anything that can be automated is probably automated by Androids. We saw the paint shop run by android, most retail is probably exactly the same. There probably is some caveats where customers simply would not want to deal with androids (given a lot of public opinion) and also some places that would see human service as a selling point. (Literally something I've seen in the real world: Some places haven't gone with self checkout as a part of a brand image thing.)

The other factor is maybe there's restrictions on how much of a work force can be androids (we did see Canada doesn't have androids,) or Cyberlife charges more for business models / has lockouts that prevent normal androids from working jobs (much like how companies have business versions of software or services.)

As much as I like chewing apart David Cage games, I think the idea is the average player will just get the idea that "umployement rate is fuckin high" and "androids are cheap and disposable."

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

It's probably because America manipulates its unemployment statistic to make it much smaller than it really is. Even today, someone working one hour a week is not counted as unemployed, nor is someone who has gotten so depressed they've stopped looking for work despite wanting it. So the actual number of people holding full time jobs would be much lower than 60%.

I mean, I doubt Cage thought of that, but maybe that helps?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

In typical "woolie is poo poo at audiobalancing", he can't hear the "this cannot continue" in the first actual bossfight in nier automata.

God drat it woolie, just take half a day and get decent at it, there's tutorials on this poo poo.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Nalesh posted:

In typical "woolie is poo poo at audiobalancing", he can't hear the "this cannot continue" in the first actual bossfight in nier automata.

God drat it woolie, just take half a day and get decent at it, there's tutorials on this poo poo.

That's because it's not "this cannot continue," it's the Japanese track. I guess because they're probably playing on Liam's PS4, and he got the Japanese version so he could play it on release. I'm not sure how Liam and Woolie also didn't catch that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Because apparently it's a bug.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Squidtentacle posted:

That's because it's not "this cannot continue," it's the Japanese track. I guess because they're probably playing on Liam's PS4, and he got the Japanese version so he could play it on release. I'm not sure how Liam and Woolie also didn't catch that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA36gSdoDbE

It's still pretty obvious that they're saying SOMETHING.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've never heard the JP version of that track and if I did not know that track had characters chanting something from the english version I'd probably assume it was just background noise on the song.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nalesh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA36gSdoDbE

It's still pretty obvious that they're saying SOMETHING.

...that's not obvious at all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I had no idea that the background chanting was a thing

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe ya'll need better audio mixing too cause I can hear it fine :v:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

It's obvious to hear but it's impossible to tell what they're saying, and if, like Woolie, you're asked if you hear "this cannot continue", then you're not going to get that out of it.

It's like asking if someone hears real words in any other Nier song. Yes, there are words there, obviously, but not real ones. Except this is in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tbf the JP version has english voices in it and it does play the English track when you do this section. I would say if they're playing on english voices woolie should be able to hear it pretty decently, but all of the noise and talking to Liam over the game would probably distract from that.