Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

More like because everyone is conditioned to how movies at 24fps look, so anything higher "looks wrong" despite the higher rates actually being closer to how the eye would normally perceive and register moving scenes.

Yep. This is part of why higher framerate video seems "unnatural" and "cheap." The high budget stuff is 24fps, and if a random joe has seen 60fps it's from some shoddy home movie or a soap opera. Remember all the fuss over The Hobbit and its 48fps recordings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

DrDork posted:

More like because everyone is conditioned to how movies at 24fps look, so anything higher "looks wrong" despite the higher rates actually being closer to how the eye would normally perceive and register moving scenes.
Increasing frame rate does result in a more realistic video, but the thing I'm describing is shutter angle at given frame rate.

For a visual example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1mpszEjZM

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I just hate truemotion everything else is fine thus sayeth me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Llamadeus posted:

less blur looks unnaturally jerky.

only when your frame rate is bad

LRADIKAL posted:

Sometimes its' art, sometimes it is realism. Like looking through a sniper scope, or focusing on something up close. These have real DOF effects in real human beings. Try it.

i'll buy this argument when every pc comes with eye tracking and actually focuses on the thing you're focusing on :P

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 5, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

i'll buy this argument when every pc comes with eye tracking and actually focuses on the thing you're focusing on :P

Interestingly there's an Oculus Rift prototype that does this with eye tracking, but it actually focuses on near objects with an actuated, physical lens, instead of in software.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Used market prices in Vancouver BC:

780Ti: $275

GTX 970: $300

GTX 980: $400

980Ti: $600

Keep in mind these are all nearly / over half a decade old now. :cripes:

Sounds like a good time to use Point-2-Point Parcel in Point Roberts or some Bellingham equivalent (or just get a US listing w/ international shipping).

E: You'll have to pay GST/PST when crossing the border, but there's no duty and it should still be worth it with prices like those!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 6, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tangentially, does anyone here know of a UK or EU equivalent of Point-to-Point Parcel there? Been a few times I've been trying to get non-computer electronics from Europe but they don't ship to the US.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Finally broke down and got the Geforce 1080ti from the nvidia store that I can never catch in stock since February. Didn't feel like waiting anymore on my r290 for the new cards since I have a 40" 4k tv. What cpu level should I look at buying to pair with this for just like Battlefield 1 or V? Other than that nothing major. Would a used Ryzen 1700 be ok?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Christobevii3 posted:

Finally broke down and got the Geforce 1080ti from the nvidia store that I can never catch in stock since February. Didn't feel like waiting anymore on my r290 for the new cards since I have a 40" 4k tv. What cpu level should I look at buying to pair with this for just like Battlefield 1 or V? Other than that nothing major. Would a used Ryzen 1700 be ok?

Yeah the Ryzen will be fine you're gonna be GPU bound at 4k in the vast majority of games anyways.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Palladium posted:

People now have the attention span of a ADHD cat so I guess facts don't matter anymore as long as there's news

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > GPU Megat[H]read - don't need facts when there's news

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm seeing infinityfabric for 7nm vega? what? (computex demo)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GPU to GPU interconnect i think, ala NVLink. thats what i thought they were talkin bout.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Zero VGS posted:

Interestingly there's an Oculus Rift prototype that does this with eye tracking, but it actually focuses on near objects with an actuated, physical lens, instead of in software.
wait, what? There's no "near objects" in an oculus rift, it's all just pixels on a screen mostly-equidistant from your eye. At most you could blur out everything away from a radius from the point the lens is focusing on, no matter how virtually "far away" they might be.

E: I work on this stuff (HMDs), but I do the electronics, not the optics.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Harik posted:

wait, what? There's no "near objects" in an oculus rift, it's all just pixels on a screen mostly-equidistant from your eye. At most you could blur out everything away from a radius from the point the lens is focusing on, no matter how virtually "far away" they might be.

E: I work on this stuff (HMDs), but I do the electronics, not the optics.

The Oculus Rift Half Dome prototype has motors that control the distance of the screen to your eyes to adjust the focal depth of the display. Eye tracking lets it see when you are looking at something near your face and adjusts the physical position of the displays to change the focal distance.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yep. This is part of why higher framerate video seems "unnatural" and "cheap." The high budget stuff is 24fps, and if a random joe has seen 60fps it's from some shoddy home movie or a soap opera. Remember all the fuss over The Hobbit and its 48fps recordings?

I thought the Hobbit looked great that way, and I applaud Peter Jackson for trying to up the rate. I remember the first film looking a little odd at times, but the two after that were just gorgeous. Can't explain why. nailed the frame rate smoothness, without mentioning the other visual dodginess

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 6, 2018

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

I thought the Hobbit looked great that way, and I applaud Peter Jackson for trying to up the rate. I remember the first film looking a little odd at times, but the two after that were just gorgeous. Can't explain why.

those films looked like poo poo and you know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1xG8haCtvg

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can I use DSR to decrease the internal rendering resolution or only to increase it?

I have my PC hooked up to a TV that only accepts 1080p or 4K input signals (no 1440p). Is it possible to use DSR to lower the internal resoltion for games that I can't run at 4K but can run at something above 1080p?

For example, say I'd like to play a game at 1800p, could I use DSR with a 0.8 scale to get to that resolution or would I need to go up from 1080p?

I'm wondering if there is a difference between going up from 1080p and going down from 4K if my target resolution is closer to 4K.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

GPU to GPU interconnect i think, ala NVLink. thats what i thought they were talkin bout.

Infinity fabric is the thing they have in zen chips for inter-core comms. No idea what that means for vega yet.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah NVLink is a card to card bus or card to CPU (for POWER CPU, not Intel or AMD) bus.

IF as its being used in (supposedly, been rumored for a while now) Navi/7nm Vega is a die to die bus for a multi die package sorta like TR/Epyc.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

It looked like complete dogshit, but I think it had more to do with all of the CGI and a lot of the sets not really being setup for the frame rate. It wasn't all that bad until some CGI thing came in usually.

I can't remember if it was the second or the third film, but in the intro of the movie all the dudes were rowing into some town on rafts/boats kinda under the cover of darkness with torches lit up everywhere and it was completely obvious they were in some kind of olympic sized pool housed in some set with the water randomly cutting off at an edge with no depth to the background.

Kinda hard to explain, but I was pretty shocked that the increased frame rate made really small set details stand out. Shots that were outside and on location were a lot more tolerable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Can I use DSR to decrease the internal rendering resolution or only to increase it?

I have my PC hooked up to a TV that only accepts 1080p or 4K input signals (no 1440p). Is it possible to use DSR to lower the internal resoltion for games that I can't run at 4K but can run at something above 1080p?

For example, say I'd like to play a game at 1800p, could I use DSR with a 0.8 scale to get to that resolution or would I need to go up from 1080p?

I'm wondering if there is a difference between going up from 1080p and going down from 4K if my target resolution is closer to 4K.

DSR can't be used like that, but there's still a way to do it. Just go into the NV control panel, "Adjust desktop size and position", select the TV and change "perform scaling on" to "GPU".

Then it should let you choose any resolution and the GPU will upscale it to 4K before sending it to the TV.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

repiv posted:

DSR can't be used like that, but there's still a way to do it. Just go into the NV control panel, "Adjust desktop size and position", select the TV and change "perform scaling on" to "GPU".

Then it should let you choose any resolution and the GPU will upscale it to 4K before sending it to the TV.

Thanks for this. After enabling GPU scaling and creating the custom resolutions I wanted I can now not just select 1080p and 4K but also some resolutions in between.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's the reason that some freesync monitors, particularly lg, will only allow higher refresh rates when freesync is selected?

And that this can cause frame drops with Nvidia cards?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Generic Monk posted:

I was referring to the frame rate alone, but yes, I remember seeing that shot in the cinema, that CGI gold is stunningly awful and incredibly out-of-place

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 6, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Welp I couldn't pass up a 1080 for $400.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GeForc...353.m2749.l2649

use code pickdadsgift for -$100 and msi is running a $20 rebate

E: good luck anyone trying for this. They had sold like 500 in the last hour when I hit it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ this item is out of stock :(

Some day I'll get a better GPU for my VR.. I really just want a 1070 kuz 1080's are spensive.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Seamonster posted:

Welp I couldn't pass up a 1080 for $400.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GeForc...353.m2749.l2649

use code pickdadsgift for -$100 and msi is running a $20 rebate

E: good luck anyone trying for this. They had sold like 500 in the last hour when I hit it.

Welp, I'm sick of waiting around for Nvidia, I guess I'll grab a GTX 1050 Ti for the time being. Can't beat $175.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 6, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You want to buy my 390 for $200 instead?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I am intrigued and excited by the prospect of 7nm Vega on infinity fabric.

I wonder if the relatively low clock speed of HBM will exacerbate issues with GCN based designs already having memory bandwidth issues with IF clocks being tied to memory clocks. Maybe they "solved" it with Vega+HBM on EMIB?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What was the hype about the first gen vega using Infinity Fabric? It was all hyped as a feature of the original?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

"Infinity Fabric" is just a marketing term they are applying to a whole family of related interconnects, really. There is IF between CCXs/memory/IO on a die, a different type between dies on a MCM running via PCIe, and yet another type between MCMs in different sockets via PCIe for Epyc. All three are different, but hooked together.

With that definition, Vega could be using "IF" on-die between the cores and memory controllers or decoding units, but they could also theoretically use "IF" to go die to die, or card to card via PCIe cable or bridge connector.

The vibe i got from the presentation was that they were talking about connecting GPUs together, not for a Vega MCM (cause... why? imagine cooling that thing in a rack), but in an NVLink style card-to-card connection.

The wikichip on Infinity Fabric helped me understand it a bit more https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/infinity_fabric

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cygni posted:

"Infinity Fabric" is just a marketing term they are applying to a whole family of related interconnects, really. There is IF between CCXs/memory/IO on a die, a different type between dies on a MCM running via PCIe, and yet another type between MCMs in different sockets via PCIe for Epyc. All three are different, but hooked together.

With that definition, Vega could be using "IF" on-die between the cores and memory controllers or decoding units, but they could also theoretically use "IF" to go die to die, or card to card via PCIe cable or bridge connector.

The vibe i got from the presentation was that they were talking about connecting GPUs together, not for a Vega MCM (cause... why? imagine cooling that thing in a rack), but in an NVLink style card-to-card connection.

The wikichip on Infinity Fabric helped me understand it a bit more https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/infinity_fabric

That's what I thought, it's likely to be for compute in this case?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
1080 Ti on ebay from Newegg for $674.98 after shipping using code PICKDADSGIFT. :eyepop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292425280399

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

repiv posted:

So does this work by setting the desktop resolution, to say 1440p and then running the game, or even if you keep the desktop resolution at 4k and then set the game resolution to 1440p? I notice that there is a setting to override game and programs.

Is there any additional benefit to having the GpU do scaling and not the TV?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
In general the GPU will do a much better job of scaling than your TV will, and will do it faster, reducing latency. Some TVs will also get cranky about input formats that aren't exactly 720/1080/4k, so letting the GPU do it takes care of that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Turning on GPU scaling means that the GPU will always output at the native resolution of the target device. You can leave your desktop at 4K, it doesn't matter at all. The GPU will always be putting out 4K no matter what the internal resolution is.

Override scaling mode has to do with the scaling mode, not forcing the GPU to do it. It's only relevant if you're getting incorrect behavior in terms of what(if any) scaling is being done to your content.

Also seconding that there is almost never a reason you would not let your GPU do the scaling. They're incredibly good at it and monitors and especially TVs are generally very bad at it.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 7, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for the help.

I've noticed that when I let my TV do scaling from 4k to 1080p, the image looks washed, almost as if gamma is too high. But when I set the GPU to do the scaling, the colors are accurate.

But a weird thing is happening with XCOM2 in that when I downscale (so, 4k desktop resolution, 1080p in-game resolution), vsync sets to 30fps and not 60fps. But refresh rate is set in the nvidia CP at 60hz.

Not sure what's going on there, but I just ended up framecapping at 70fps and am not noticing any tearing.

Another thing that happens in 3d apps anyway is that MSI afterburner freezes up.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I tried some custom 21:9 ultra widescreen resolutions (specifically 3840x1600 for desktop and 2560x1080 for some games) on my 4K set (Vizio M50-E1) and while it works great on the desktop only certain games seem to support ultra-wide natively and only some games will work if I have the GPU do the scaling instead of my 4K TV. And I agree that doing the scaling through the GPU is much better than through the display. My TV won't even upscale 1080p to 4K but if I set my GPU (GTX1070) to the scaling it will upscale 720p up to 4K although it still looks like kinda soft but not jagged and blurry like with the TV's built in scaling.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Prescription Combs posted:

1080 Ti on ebay from Newegg for $674.98 after shipping using code PICKDADSGIFT. :eyepop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292425280399

Nice!

But I think I'll be more than happy with a plain old 1080 for $400 with 7/10?nm rolling around within 24 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Unfortunately the eBay promo code expired at 7pm Pacific last night.