Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this a play on Sun Tzu?

Yes, but Sun Wu's been a thing for a while. He was the first "new kid" on the children-of-current-rulers block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I do like that the takeover of the HPG facilities has sort of become this albatross around Capella's neck, since they really don't have the resources to run them the way that Comstar did, nor can they really afford to admit that they Done hosed Up in taking them over because the new Star League would exact a heavy price as reconciliation for the years of what is essentially the occupation of Comstar territory and the death of Comstar personel.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
On the other hand if C* were still in control their R&D program would have to deal with far more frequent accidents.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rorahusky posted:

I do like that the takeover of the HPG facilities has sort of become this albatross around Capella's neck, since they really don't have the resources to run them the way that Comstar did, nor can they really afford to admit that they Done hosed Up in taking them over because the new Star League would exact a heavy price as reconciliation for the years of what is essentially the occupation of Comstar territory and the death of Comstar personel.

Maybe. It may end up being a short term loss for a long term gain. It certainly offers them a unique position amongst the various contenders in the Sphere. As long as it doesn't get them ganged up upon and murdered, they should do OK. Hopefully the fact that they showed the rest of the Sphere that ComStar isn't all powerful means ComStar can't bully everyone into dogpiling them. One would assume if they were going to do that they probably would have already during the time skip?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They need to rebrand as Space TMobile.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We both know Space Verizon would be more somewhat nefariously suitable

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They can move into broadcasting and be space comcast.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Space Time Warner would be most fitting, given the drastically lower uptime of the network. :saddowns:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, but Sun Wu's been a thing for a while. He was the first "new kid" on the children-of-current-rulers block.

He's Romano's son by Justin Xiang, right? With her dead and him having disappeared, I can only hope he isn't as batshit as him mom and grandfather and the Cappies can actually get some positive things done.

Other kids post timeskip are who, Hanse and Jannike's child, Clovis Lestrade and Jenna Clay/Marissa Steiner's in Skye, Carlos Marik (though he's already grown up and commanding a battalion), and whoever is now the heir of the Lyran Commonwealth since Frederick Steiner took over and I dunno if he's married or has children, plus more I'm likely forgetting.

And that's not even counting the next generation of warriors from the Clans that decided to settle in the Inner Sphere are pushing out. Can't wait to see more post timeskip lore blurbs to find out how the Inner Sphere has been turned into that new blotch that you posted a couple pages back.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Federated Suns
Hanse Davion is dead. Janneke Kurita has retired from public life. Prince Ian Yorinaga Kurita-Davion, their eldest child, now rules the Federated Suns. It remains to be seen whether he’s inherited his father’s martial brilliance, his mother’s skill as a Mechwarrior, or something else entirely. He’s two years into his reign, and has thus far managed not to start any wars or assassinate any members of his extended family. The Federated Foreign Legion continues to assist the Draconis Combine along their border with the ilKhanate in exchange for Kuritan troops to defend the Capellan and Taurian Concordat borders. The two nations are closer than they’ve ever been, which frightens traditionalists on both sides of the border. The Federated Suns has a chilly relationship with the Hell’s Horses, who currently occupy a stretch of planets along the border with the Draconis Combine (D).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Federated Suns
Hanse Davion is dead.

Yessssss

GhostStalker posted:

Other kids post timeskip are who, Hanse and Jannike's child, Clovis Lestrade and Jenna Clay/Marissa Steiner's in Skye, Carlos Marik (though he's already grown up and commanding a battalion), and whoever is now the heir of the Lyran Commonwealth since Frederick Steiner took over and I dunno if he's married or has children, plus more I'm likely forgetting.

My guess is that Fred married a relative of either the Duke of Alarion or the Duke of Coventry.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The only child that matters is if Hogarth's progeny inherited his amazing flair and style in all things. Nothing else matters. :smuggo:

Or better yet, if Hogarth is still running around being Hogarth.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

. He’s two years into his reign, and has thus far managed not to start any wars or assassinate any members of his extended family.

In any other context this is damning with faint praise but in BT that's arguably a mark of competency :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Federated Suns
Hanse Davion is dead. Janneke Kurita has retired from public life. Prince Ian Yorinaga Kurita-Davion, their eldest child, now rules the Federated Suns. It remains to be seen whether he’s inherited his father’s martial brilliance, his mother’s skill as a Mechwarrior, or something else entirely. He’s two years into his reign, and has thus far managed not to start any wars or assassinate any members of his extended family. The Federated Foreign Legion continues to assist the Draconis Combine along their border with the ilKhanate in exchange for Kuritan troops to defend the Capellan and Taurian Concordat borders. The two nations are closer than they’ve ever been, which frightens traditionalists on both sides of the border. The Federated Suns has a chilly relationship with the Hell’s Horses, who currently occupy a stretch of planets along the border with the Draconis Combine (D).

Welp, looks like Korean Robert didn't manage to keep relations between the Hell's Horses and the Fed Suns as cordial as Hanse wanted...

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Federated Suns
He’s two years into his reign, and has thus far managed not to start any wars or assassinate any members of his extended family.

For a Kurita-Davion, this is remarkable.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostStalker posted:

Welp, looks like Korean Robert didn't manage to keep relations between the Hell's Horses and the Fed Suns as cordial as Hanse wanted...

By Battletech standards them not shooting at each other means he still gets a solid B+

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I am a little curious about something... didn't Hanse sire two children? And weren't they supposed to be called Ian and Yorinaga. Could this be a sign that the Kurita-Davions have some skeletons in their closet? Hmmmmm...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Draconis Combine
Isoroku Kurita’s health is failing. The Combine’s warlords clamor for renewed campaigns against the Clan ilKhanate, but Isoroku knows that until the Combine’s forces are rebuilt such assaults would be suicide. So far he’s managed to limit them to light raiding, but his most pressing concern is a practical one: preparing the Combine for the ascension of his chosen heir, Yumi Marie Kurita-Davion—Ian Kurita-Davion’s twin sister. The Draconis Combine’s relationship with the Hell’s Horses is cordial, but distant.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GhostStalker posted:

That's probably Khan Korean Robert to you.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I cannot wait to see the antics Victor Lestrade-Steiner gets up to.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hearing that the Hell's Horses relations with both sides is polite but distant is actually somewhat reassuring. If they got too close to either side they'd be failing in their role as a buffer state/mediator.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Draconis Combine
Isoroku Kurita’s health is failing. The Combine’s warlords clamor for renewed campaigns against the Clan ilKhanate, but Isoroku knows that until the Combine’s forces are rebuilt such assaults would be suicide. So far he’s managed to limit them to light raiding, but his most pressing concern is a practical one: preparing the Combine for the ascension of his chosen heir, Yumi Marie Kurita-Davion—Ian Kurita-Davion’s twin sister. The Draconis Combine’s relationship with the Hell’s Horses is cordial, but distant.

Oof, having the Combine being run by a woman will be hard for the traditionalists to accept, especially if she's half Davion. Sure, there can't be too many of them left in positions of power after Luthien and subsequent campaigns and the behinds the scene work by Theodore, but there's bound to still be some around, if the Warlords are pushing to renew the offensive. Still, at least Isoroku is prudent to know that's dumb until his forces are even close to fully replenished.

paragon1 posted:

Hearing that the Hell's Horses relations with both sides is polite but distant is actually somewhat reassuring. If they got too close to either side they'd be failing in their role as a buffer state/mediator.

Fair enough, though things seem to be doing better on the Combine side. Similar mindsets helping things, maybe? Just hope nothing breaks out at an inopportune time.

DatonKallandor posted:

That's probably Khan Korean Robert to you.

Probably. Forgot if he was appointed to that title within the Horses or left as a "liaison", though the respect for killing Khan Siedman still should be there. Maybe we'll be seeing a bloodname Korean after the timeskip.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Draconis Combine

Siblings running neighboring rival nations with a history of conflict. Pretty much asking for the inevitable war of unification.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
All good things must come to an end, even this thread.

I enjoyed it occasionally in the past years despite not posting, especially all the design contest stuff. Some of the designs were very inventive and aggressively suboptimal as one poster put it back around page 650 or so. Thanks to everyone for making this fun stuff happen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Can we hear more about these educational curriculums Melissa cooked up for the kid Clanners? Are the Vipers basically living like WiE did at this point?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Will we see the adventures of Clan Spaniel?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Can we hear more about these educational curriculums Melissa cooked up for the kid Clanners? Are the Vipers basically living like WiE did at this point?

I am still amazed that the Vipers in this timeline are much more competent. Though to be fair, the problem with them in canon could be more on their leadership's decision.

Also, just want to give props to PTN before this thread close that I really enjoy it, and how well he writes the various factions despite any preference he has for them - like if you ask me what his favourite faction just based on the tactical/campaign/political updates, I would have said NRWR (and only because that is an 'original' faction).

Looking forward to the time-skip!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't think the current campaign is over quite yet guys!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh right.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Weissritter posted:

I would have said NRWR (and only because that is an 'original' faction).

I'm a Draconis Combine / Jade Falcon fan.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The NRWR only did as well as they did because the players went out of their minds crushing missions (and the dice didn't conspire against them for once), and even then they still lost on Andurien. I think PTN has done pretty well in not having a pet faction show up to poo poo on everyone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, if anything, the NRWR is the thread's pet, not PTN's.

Having a friendly Bond villain be the face of the faction for an entire mini-campaign certainly didn't hurt. RIP Uncle Steve

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm a Draconis Combine / Jade Falcon fan.

Yeah, that is my point - if I had to give an answer without knowing what you like (which I think you have mentioned before).

Some authors have certain pet factions/characters that are really obvious (see Karen Traviss and the Mandalorians), and I really appreciate the way you write in this LP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

The NRWR only did as well as they did because the players went out of their minds crushing missions (and the dice didn't conspire against them for once), and even then they still lost on Andurien. I think PTN has done pretty well in not having a pet faction show up to poo poo on everyone.

Andurien was lost the moment we voted to send the Clans there. Our job was to make the Snow Ravens and Sea Foxes bleed for it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I hope we get to do a Clan perspective mission post-timeskip. The thread's irrational hate boner (seriously guy, give PTN some credit for doing them better) for them is kinda discouraging sometimes.

EDIT: to be fair I've only been following the thread for a year-ish I think, so if there were any good numbers of them before that I wouldn't recognize them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of Clanners, if the thread closes does that mean Mukaikubo is finally free from his geas

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Uncle Stefen is basically the David Xanatos of PTNverse, full of charisma and very likeable, but someone you should never /ever/ trust.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Strobe posted:

I hope we get to do a Clan perspective mission post-timeskip. The thread's irrational hate boner (seriously guy, give PTN some credit for doing them better) for them is kinda discouraging sometimes.

EDIT: to be fair I've only been following the thread for a year-ish I think, so if there were any good numbers of them before that I wouldn't recognize them.

We've had some great missions as the Clans over the years. If anything they were running riot over their initial invasion corridors for quite some time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Counterpoint all the Clanners should transmit the Kodiak blueprints to the Inner Sphere and then die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ironically, the best use for the Clans is as what they hate most: mercenaries. They get to fight for no reason just like they love and nobody else has to deal with their poo poo. And when the last Clanner dies, we'll be rid of their awful culture for good.

• Locked thread