Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have two dvds (Goodfellas and The Wild Bunch) where you have to flip the disc over halfway through to finish the movie. It's strange for such famous movies. It can't even be the length - I have longer movies that all fit on one disc.

From memory those discs were DVD10, which is a double sided DVD5 (4.7gb, like DVD-Rs). Most movies that came after were DVD9 which was double the capacity on one side, so didn’t need to flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There was also DVD18 that came later (dual side dual layer.) It wasn't used very often though because it was cheaper to produce two DVD9 discs and marketers said that people responded better to having more than one disc on a "special edition" since it make the set feel higher value.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've stumbled into a Dragonball episode.

DVD POWER 900000000

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nani?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

There was also DVD18 that came later (dual side dual layer.) It wasn't used very often though because it was cheaper to produce two DVD9 discs and marketers said that people responded better to having more than one disc on a "special edition" since it make the set feel higher value.

Yeah not sure if I ever actually had any, but knew they existed. It’s a shame that Blu-ray spec won’t allow h.264 encoded main features because I was so sold on the prospect of having single disc seasons for shows that take up too much shelf space. But then media servers became big anyway and all my discs just got hidden away.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm catching up on izombie, and man do I wish this show was less desaturated. I get that it's probably so the zombie makeup works better without them having to keep Rose McIver in the makeup chair for an hour before every shoot, but knowing the show is based on an Mike Allred-drawn comic just makes me want something that pops more visually.

On the plus side the writing isn't nearly as twee as the comic's so I can actually enjoy it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dietland is really cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got around to watch Santa Clarita Diet and drat that's a lot gorier than I was expecting! The show has some pretty good whiplash going.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dietland sounds good and also stars Senorita Dido from Twin Peaks. I’ll check it out. Still got the first episodes of Succession and Pose to check out too.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I was worried it was HBO trying to do their own Billions but since you are cool and good I will watch.

It’s Billions except the characters are immediately shown to be contemptible pricks instead of cool puppetmaster super geniuses

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Rose McIver in the makeup chair for an hour before every shoot

Oh you sweet summer child

HMU takes an hour minimum per day for an actress, any special effects makeup is usually 2-3 hours every morning

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Oh you sweet summer child

HMU takes an hour minimum per day for an actress, any special effects makeup is usually 2-3 hours every morning

Yeah I had a feeling I was lowballing it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dare you defy Bosch Himself

https://twitter.com/welliver_titus/status/1004054525542424576

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

(How's new Archer btw? Still the same fume huffing that's been going on for a while, or a return to form? Or something different entirely?)

If you're alright with the show doing another season like the detective one except with a different setting and storyline, then I think it's pretty fun. Moreso than the past few seasons which I was only watching out of momentum or false hope. Maybe it's just that I really like the type of story they are doing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm catching up on izombie, and man do I wish this show was less desaturated. I get that it's probably so the zombie makeup works better without them having to keep Rose McIver in the makeup chair for an hour before every shoot, but knowing the show is based on an Mike Allred-drawn comic just makes me want something that pops more visually.

On the plus side the writing isn't nearly as twee as the comic's so I can actually enjoy it.

I have a feeling she's getting pretty tired of the zombie make up too as this last season that just finished up had quite a few episodes of her in "human" make up (as in, not made up to be a zombie.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All right so, people who've watched iZombie, just spoil my rear end: when does Liv just nut up and tell her ex about being a zombie, this is getting really silly.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lurdiak posted:

All right so, people who've watched iZombie, just spoil my rear end: when does Liv just nut up and tell her ex about being a zombie, this is getting really silly.

End of S1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC by the end of the first season Major is read into the whole "zombie" thing. Also they do a lot more with Clive as a character in s2.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah why the gently caress are people discussing if The Americans is good or bad when we could be talking about Bosch being good or bad instead

(I really like Bosch but it’s hard to actually recommend it because it does what it does very, very well but it doesn’t break any new ground. It does have some of the best cinematography I’ve ever seen on a TV show though)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It’s Billions except the characters are immediately shown to be contemptible pricks instead of cool puppetmaster super geniuses

It'd be a lot better if they decided between it being a drama or comedy. It feels a little too full of itself (that oppressive music, the directorial whips and tricks), hoping it settles into a tone as it goes. Good premiere tho.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I have a plot logic question about Imposters S2, if I missed the explanation: Why did Ezra need to leave Sofia a note? Since he had her phone number, couldn't he have just texted her?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Yeah why the gently caress are people discussing if The Americans is good or bad when we could be talking about Bosch being good or bad instead

(I really like Bosch but it’s hard to actually recommend it because it does what it does very, very well but it doesn’t break any new ground. It does have some of the best cinematography I’ve ever seen on a TV show though)

Bosch is: good

I loving love LA noire (the genre not the game) though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

Most of that stuff is pretty well advanced by S1 end. iZombie isn't my favorite show but slow plot progression is NOT one of its flaws. iZombie has no apparent fear of moving things forward from season to season even in pretty huge ways, and they're short seasons. So unless you're going to freak out about a "slow" 13 season you should be fine. And if you are it might not be the show for you since its mostly a procedural "victim of the week" show.

Specifically: Major figures out about zombies midway through S1 and finds out about Liv before S1's end. Peyton finds out at the end of S1. Clive takes longest finding out towards the end of S2. Then the show gets weird.

Lycus posted:

I have a plot logic question about Imposters S2, if I missed the explanation: Why did Ezra need to leave Sofia a note? Since he had her phone number, couldn't he have just texted her?

I think he didn't have a phone or it was dead at the time or something since they were hustling to escape the cops and not actually following Sofia's plan.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I loving love LA noire (the genre not the game) though

That reminds me, does anyone know if that L.A. Confidential tv show that's supposed to be in development is going to include stuff from the other novels in that series?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Most of that stuff is pretty well advanced by S1 end. iZombie isn't my favorite show but slow plot progression is NOT one of its flaws. iZombie has no apparent fear of moving things forward from season to season even in pretty huge ways, and they're short seasons. So unless you're going to freak out about a "slow" 13 season you should be fine. And if you are it might not be the show for you since its mostly a procedural "victim of the week" show.

It's not that I have a problem with the pace of the subplot, I'd be fine with them dragging it on for the entire series depending on how it's handled. It's just that way too many reasons have piled up for her to disclose by the point I'm at. At the point where not knowing is actively endangering someone's life, it's pretty silly not to tell them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a CW show, that sorta soapy poo poo is par for the course.

I’m being snarky but didn’t Flash actually have a lot of major plot issues that revolved around characters keeping secrets

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know about Flash but Spider-man's run for 50 years without it becoming stupid that he doesn't reveal his secret ID some of his friends and acquaintances. I guess part of that is because he's not also trying to conceal the very existence of superheroes and supervillains from them as well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wheat Loaf posted:

That reminds me, does anyone know if that L.A. Confidential tv show that's supposed to be in development is going to include stuff from the other novels in that series?

I pray so, because all those books are awesome. White Jazz is my favorite.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's not that I have a problem with the pace of the subplot, I'd be fine with them dragging it on for the entire series depending on how it's handled. It's just that way too many reasons have piled up for her to disclose by the point I'm at. At the point where not knowing is actively endangering someone's life, it's pretty silly not to tell them.

I mean, it is CW soapy. But it's the good kind, for the most part.

I think Major went from being the thread's least liked character, to the thread's most liked character, and back to its least favourite, over the course of about four seasons. That's pretty impressive, in its own way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a CW show, that sorta soapy poo poo is par for the course.

I’m being snarky but didn’t Flash actually have a lot of major plot issues that revolved around characters keeping secrets

Flash has the opposite issue; Barry can't stop people from finding out that he is the Flash

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Succession: I like it!

And yeah holy hell I want to kill about four of the characters already. Love the guy from The Big Short as the main son.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

It'd be a lot better if they decided between it being a drama or comedy. It feels a little too full of itself (that oppressive music, the directorial whips and tricks), hoping it settles into a tone as it goes. Good premiere tho.

While I was working on it, I genuinely thought it was a pure comedy but then I saw it pitched as a drama and was confused

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

While I was working on it, I genuinely thought it was a pure comedy but then I saw it pitched as a drama and was confused

I wanted to murder Culkin in the game scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So where is the catchall Adult Swim thread so I can talk about how great Joe Pera Talks To You is?

The second episode this week "Joe Pera Reads You the Church Bulletin" was completely amazing.

Everything you need to know about the show's brand of humor could be distilled down into the scene where Joe starts singing "Baba O'Riley" and instead of anyone making fun of him they all join in.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Cheers is a legit good show, not surprised it spawned Frasier

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just watched the first two episodes of Dietland on AMC, and it is GOOD. Really good. The name alone would probably be enough to turn a lot of people off of the show. It sounds like chick-lit -- something light and inessential, aimed at women, like a rom-com. Definitely not a show that most of us would be the target audience for, let's face it. But assuming it keeps up this level of quality, it's going to be one of the sleeper hits of the year, along with Killing Eve, another brilliant, fascinating, feminist show. It's dark and twisty already, setting up mysteries and conspiracies. It feels like Fight Club to me, only dissecting modern femininity and feminism the way Fight Club satirized (toxic) masculinity 19 years ago. Hopefully that pitch will convince a few of you to give it a chance.

Awwww, just saw this on the previous page:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Anyone see the Dietland pilot? Holy poo poo. So good.

Uh... elevator pitch: it's a feminist version of Fight Club written by UnReal's Season 1 showrunner. Julianna Margulies is terrifying in it. Robin Weigert's a regular too. Also it rules and I have great taste.

I'm off to watch the second episode now.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I very much enjoy Joe Pera talking to me. :unsmith:

Edit: "I don't mean to get so down on the dominoes, but it's one of my core beliefs that you shouldn't waste kinetic energy."

:discourse:

Laterite fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nate fisher posted:

I pray so, because all those books are awesome. White Jazz is my favorite.

I recently read the first Lloyd Hopkins book, which was a trilogy Ellroy did immediately before the L.A. Quartet. It finds James Ellroy trying really hard to do his own Red Dragon and not really pulling it off. The second one is an improvement.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm pretty annoyed that there were only six episodes in this half of Kimmy Schmidt. They were super good and it made me want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hulu got the rights to Killing Eve.