Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just drive it out of state for a minute every 44 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

dee eight posted:

Any car 10 years old or older can get permanent MT plates. Pay 3 years of registration and then never have to pay again.

Is that poo poo new? All my family's old shitboxes had to renew reg every year upuntil I left in '97... (Cascade County)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Is that poo poo new? All my family's old shitboxes had to renew reg every year upuntil I left in '97... (Cascade County)

Don't recall when it went into effect, but it's been a while. I've had perm plates on my '94 since 04. Also motorcycles and trailers get perm plates no matter the age.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Living around D.C., technically he's a person I share the road with. Haven't seen him in a few years but he still had the mini last time I did.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

davebo posted:

Living around D.C., technically he's a person I share the road with. Haven't seen him in a few years but he still had the mini last time I did.

Vice did a cool little 15 minute documentary on him. Seems like a good dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utiIdR-XVJg

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol I went to college with that dude's nephew or cousin-once-removed, he was a dead ringer for the original.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

At least for South Carolina it's technically* illegal to do this, because the car must be registered in state if it has been there for more than 45 days. That enforcement is generally lax doesn't absolve people of breaking the law.

That's illegal in most states, if not all. Some states are definitely more lax than others with enforcement though. I drove out to the west coast a couple years ago, spent all of ~48 hours in California, and then about a month later got a letter in the mail from the Cali DMV saying something to the effect of "We saw you were driving a car with Texas license plates here, you better register it in California if you live in California now."

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Love seeing Hawaii plates in California. Dude let's be honest. Although I'm sure a bunch are military folks.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Loanarn posted:

Vice did a cool little 15 minute documentary on him. Seems like a good dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utiIdR-XVJg

Until he goes crazy and starts speaking in riddles about bats

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When I lived in Boston there was a guy with a Chevy Avalanche with Hawaii plates for a couple years, until he eventually replaced them with MA plates (with the same tag) :iiam:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
One of the people we share the road with tried to drive his rig with two cargo containers under the railway overpass (13' 10") at the intersection of two major streets here in Spokane.

Before 7:30 AM, based on how much traffic had backed up.

He got far enough to block half the cross street, which was far enough to shove his containers back, with the rear one hanging slightly less than half-off the back of the trailer. :golfclap:

Eventually they got everything towed off onto the side streets and brought in a crane to re-mount the containera, on two different trailers.

I guess the trestle was OK as they still had trains running after all that was cleared out from underneath.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Until he goes crazy and starts speaking in riddles about bats

This joke took me an embarrassingly long time to get.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

One of the people we share the road with tried to drive his rig with two cargo containers under the railway overpass (13' 10") at the intersection of two major streets here in Spokane.

Before 7:30 AM, based on how much traffic had backed up.

He got far enough to block half the cross street, which was far enough to shove his containers back, with the rear one hanging slightly less than half-off the back of the trailer. :golfclap:

Eventually they got everything towed off onto the side streets and brought in a crane to re-mount the containera, on two different trailers.

I guess the trestle was OK as they still had trains running after all that was cleared out from underneath.

Does anyone have a camera setup there like 11foot8?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dee eight posted:

That's a bit of a silly law. Technically, Joe Contractlabor would have to re-register his truck if he worked in SC for 2 months and then again when he went back home to Hogpen, GA.

Typically those laws only apply to permanent residents. Otherwise it'd also apply to college students and the like.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Diodeous posted:

That's what I was thinking. Isn't it the same in NY with Delaware/NH plates?

At least in NYC, Florida seems the most common.

wolrah posted:

Typically those laws only apply to permanent residents. Otherwise it'd also apply to college students and the like.

I'm reasonably certain that every state has a law that residents have to register their vehicles (and get a new license) with the state of residence.

It's funny because, for motorcycles at least, vermont is a workaround for getting a title for old or small untitled bikes and they have, in their FAQ, on their DMV site "Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?
No"

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

builds character posted:

At least in NYC, Florida seems the most common.

I'm reasonably certain that every state has a law that residents have to register their vehicles (and get a new license) with the state of residence.

It's funny because, for motorcycles at least, vermont is a workaround for getting a title for old or small untitled bikes and they have, in their FAQ, on their DMV site "Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?
No"

Yep, used this for my CT90 here in Florida. Rocking those Vermont plates.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Back in the 90s my dentist got an impaired and was going to lose his Alberta drivers license, so he somehow got a Montana license so he kept driving. Not sure how it worked with Montana but he pulled it off but :shrug:

That was also the time frame when there were no speed limits on Montana highways.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There always used to be ads in DuPont Registry for a company called "alaskan auto trust" to register your expensive cars in Alaska, but i'm guessing that got busted because it all went tits up pretty quickly.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

That was also the time frame when there were no speed limits on Montana highways.

I worked in MT during the last few months of the 'reasonable speed' limit. Got a picture of my speedo at about 154mph. Still the fastest I've ever driven a car!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hello friend, doing 80 in a 110 km/h zone is inadvisable as it makes it very difficult to merge between you, and the person behind you going a normal loving speed on the goddamn highway. Good thing I noticed you were dawdling when I did, or I would have rear-ended you at something approaching, but definitely distinct from, highway speed.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

wolrah posted:

YMMV, but I got pulled over while in the military more than once. Having a DL from Wisconsin and California plates on my bike were of no concern to the LEO when he saw my military ID. Not sure if that still applies.

An one thing that would be impossible to get away with today, I had two valid driver's licenses for 2+ years. Pre-internet. I would give the cop my WI DL when pulled over, and my insurance got my clean, ticket free, CA DL. Saved me a lot of money, back in the day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/wsyx6/status/1004127707981058053

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ParkerSlay89/status/1004175909702823936

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wat

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol that dude's loving gunning it too

thank you iospace for those 2 quality posts they made my lovely day a little brighter

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cops wear body armor, criminals get armor piercing bullets. Cops get automatic weapons, criminals get tanks.

That's how the saying goes, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Backing up the ramp is stupid, but I understand why a stupid person might want to do it.

What I don’t understand is why they pulled a one‐eighty so they could back up along Gender Road.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Backing up the ramp is stupid, but I understand why a stupid person might want to do it.

What I don’t understand is why they pulled a one‐eighty so they could back up along Gender Road.

the whole point of miracles is that they have no rational explanation

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This wouldn't have happened with more citizens with concealed tanks.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Yesterday was the tenth anniversary of :killdozer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

At first I thought they were just reversing down the ramp like "oh gently caress this" after seeing the traffic. But then they... keep driving in reverse. What. Like did their transmission grenade every gear but R and they're like "gently caress paying for a tow, I got this"?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Just two people deciding they've had it up to here with our RULES

in orange county CA today, driving on the 5 at like 830p, newish Corolla with its lights off, driver sitting in complete darkness. With my auto dimming mirror i could only see the car behind me as like a dark shimmery silhouette blocking light from drivers behind

Thought that would be enough fun for one night but then there was a guy doing 50 in the fast lane with a flat front right tire. I suppose if you're going to drive in the fast lane with a flat tire there's no reason to put your hazards on either

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

i'mnotevenmadthatsamazing.mov

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

What happens if someone goes on a tank rampage and tries to kill people - i.e. driving it at schools or malls? How do they stop it?

You can't put down spike strips or PIT a tank

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

What happens if someone goes on a tank rampage and tries to kill people - i.e. driving it at schools or malls? How do they stop it?

You can't put down spike strips or PIT a tank

Historically? Put every cop car you have on the street, try to move people out of the tank’s way, and wait till the driver makes a mistake and gets stuck.

Heemeyer dropped into a basement. Nelson got hung up on a freeway barrier.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

Historically? Put every cop car you have on the street, try to move people out of the tank’s way, and wait till the driver makes a mistake and gets stuck.

Heemeyer dropped into a basement. Nelson got hung up on a freeway barrier.

This is a nation that literally has .50 cal machine guns mounted to APCs under the justification that illegal gambling dens might resist arrest - I find it hard to believe that the don't have more dramatic plans other than 'I hope he hits something and gets stuck'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

This is a nation that literally has .50 cal machine guns mounted to APCs under the justification that illegal gambling dens might resist arrest - I find it hard to believe that the don't have more dramatic plans other than 'I hope he hits something and gets stuck'

The governors in both cases were about to bring in National Guard helicopters when the problem solved itself.

Or so Wikipedia says. Nelson’s article provides no citation for that claim. Heemeyer’s article gives this book as a citation.

I’d like contemporary sources but I can believe it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I was a person you share the road with today but only as a result of another. Came across a broken down car sitting in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway. The traffic in both lanes was doing 80km/h so trying to squeeze in was difficult to say the least. I thought I had a gap so I took it but the person coming up that lane wasn’t happy to slow down even though they’d pulled into the same lane not long before hand.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

It's just been the 25th anniversary of someone doing that in australia
https://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga7430

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was going to make a crack about it being a Chrysler product and the transmission probably poo poo itself and R was the only gear that worked, but I think it's an Isuzu or something, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

spog posted:

allt his stuff is for intimidating poor people and minorities, not actually facing a threat