Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Happy Reagan Death Day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Happy Reagan Death Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He lies trapped in the diamond castle searching for the Fountain of Eternal Presidency.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
http://wtvr.com/2018/06/05/state-police-in-pursuit-of-stolen-tank-on-i-95-crime-insider/

Turns out the APC driver out of Fort Pickett was an LT!

"Sources say the Lieutenant is a commander with an engineering battalion at Fort Pickett."

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

thetechnoloser posted:

http://wtvr.com/2018/06/05/state-police-in-pursuit-of-stolen-tank-on-i-95-crime-insider/

Turns out the APC driver out of Fort Pickett was an LT!

"Sources say the Lieutenant is a commander with an engineering battalion at Fort Pickett."

Some how this is going to be e-5 and lowers fault.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He was pissed that he signed for it and then found out it was missing all of its BII.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gizmodo: Man Presumed Dead After Tragic Mount Everest Cryptocurrency Stunt.
https://gizmodo.com/mount-everest-cryptocurrency-stunt-turns-deadly-1826570646

It was a Sherpa that died, not one of the blockchain bozos.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gizmodo: Man Presumed Dead After Tragic Mount Everest Cryptocurrency Stunt.
https://gizmodo.com/mount-everest-cryptocurrency-stunt-turns-deadly-1826570646

It was a Sherpa that died, not one of the blockchain bozos.

quote:

In an effort to promote their initial coin offering, the social media platform ASKfm sponsored four “crypto enthusiasts” on their climb of Mount Everest, so they could bury $50,000 worth of the company’s cryptocurrency, ASKT, at the peak. The team made it to the top on May 14. A promotional video encourages others to scale the mountain in search of the crypto wallet.

That's some legit Saw poo poo right there, hiding loot in the death zone and tempting bigger idiots to their doom.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That volcano in Guatemala is scary stuff. 65-ish dead so far.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
FYI the Democrats didn't gently caress up in California. I KNOW RIGHT

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1004341848670957568?s=19

The potential problem was that in California, the top two candidates, regardless of party, advance to the general election. For a few districts, there were 2 Republicans and like 15 Democrats, where two Republicans could've advanced with zero Democrats advancing due to a split vote. The DCCC and local orgs did pretty good work to consolidate the votes right so there were zero freezeouts.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
WA state has the same goddamn top 2 system and also that voter roll "error" smells super hinky as hell when people were supposed to be given provisional ballots if they weren't found on the rolls but SURPRISE that wasn't happening.

So very shocking :thunk:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I don’t think Gavin is a great choice due to his politics overall, in fact he’s a perfect boogeyman for the R party.

Still better than the alternative.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Manafort is probably in jail by Friday

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Good

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Manafort is probably in jail by Friday
I know Republicans are loving stupid but it still boggles the mind that they'd think for a minute about letting a Russian whore boy who's 1 degree of seperation from the Taliban off the hook. They've got their stupid house of cards tp worry about, but it's so loving obvious.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Bold prediction: Congress is going to find a way to get Manafort off the hook.

Bolder prediction: nobody will care.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

Bold prediction: Congress is going to find a way to get Manafort off the hook.

Bolder prediction: nobody will care.

Not likely. They have State charges also leveled against him, it might work against the Federal charges, but from what they have on Manafort, it would take a LOT to get him off the hook, especially since he couldn't sit on his hands and decided to try witness tampering.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hot Take: As much as I think the sentencing of Brock Turner was kinda bullshit, I'm not sure recalling judges for not sentencing people to enough jail is a great idea in the super prison-happy nation of the USA. I don't really want judges to be scared of looking soft, and thus just hammering people across the board.

What's more problematic to me, regarding the Turner case, was this, wherein I am quoting the judge who in turn is quoting sentencing guidelines.

quote:

And so, for those – for those – evaluating those criteria in Rule 4.414, I find that both – chiefly, the facts related to the defendant, which I’ve talked about, which are favorable to the defendant support the decision to grant probation. And, again, it’s a balancing act. The advisory committee comment to Rule 4.414 is instructive. It states, [as read] “The decision whether to grant probation is normally based on an overall evaluation of the likelihood that the defendant will live successfully in the general community. Each criteria points to evidence that the likelihood of success is great or small. A single criteria will rarely be determinative. In most cases, the sentencing judge will have to balance favorable and unfavorable facts.” And that’s what I’ve – I tried to do here.

The judge didn't create those sentencing guidelines, but it sure does lend itself to a judge, consciously or not, favoring probation for wealthy people, people with support networks, and probably white people. If the circumstances of the crime were identical in all ways, save that the defendant were a poor black guy without a lot of references to write letters about how awesome he was, maybe the judge wouldn't have judged that he was as likely to "live successfully in the general community."

That's a problem, but again, the judge didn't write that guidance. I would sure like judges to think about race and class and whether they're unfairly using that to judge whether someone ought to be given leniency, crime aside. But even if judges lack that nuance or awareness of their own biases, I don't think the healthiest option is just scaring judges into throwing the book at everyone, lest they be perceived as soft on crime.

One of the other complaints against this judge was that he was working the court schedule around defendant work/school schedules. That's pretty reasonable in most cases. And hell, if we're not going to let some rich kid at a fancy university to get court dates that align with work/school, what do you think the odds are that some poor person is going to be given even an ounce of leeway in scheduling court appearances around a job where they might just get fired for missing a scheduled shift?

Link to the judge's full sentencing statement: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/14/stanford-sexual-assault-read-sentence-judge-aaron-persky

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

The judge didn't create those sentencing guidelines, but it sure does lend itself to a judge, consciously or not, favoring probation for wealthy people, people with support networks, and probably white people. If the circumstances of the crime were identical in all ways, save that the defendant were a poor black guy without a lot of references to write letters about how awesome he was, maybe the judge wouldn't have judged that he was as likely to "live successfully in the general community."

That's a problem, but again, the judge didn't write that guidance. I would sure like judges to think about race and class and whether they're unfairly using that to judge whether someone ought to be given leniency, crime aside. But even if judges lack that nuance or awareness of their own biases, I don't think the healthiest option is just scaring judges into throwing the book at everyone, lest they be perceived as soft on crime.

One of the other complaints against this judge was that he was working the court schedule around defendant work/school schedules. That's pretty reasonable in most cases. And hell, if we're not going to let some rich kid at a fancy university to get court dates that align with work/school, what do you think the odds are that some poor person is going to be given even an ounce of leeway in scheduling court appearances around a job where they might just get fired for missing a scheduled shift?

Link to the judge's full sentencing statement: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/14/stanford-sexual-assault-read-sentence-judge-aaron-persky

He sentenced a rapist that was caught, mid rape, to 3 months. C'mon.

The best part was where he lamented the damage this would do to Turner, and Turner's father came out and basically blamed the victim for being a whore. There is no excuse for the judge's sentencing. Sorry.

https://heavy.com/news/2016/06/brock-turner-father-dad-dan-turner-full-letter-statement-stanford-rapist/

If this had been any other rapist, they'd throw the book at him. The EXACT issue with his ruling is that he tries to excuse the 'damage this will do to Turner's life', which is disgusting because Brock Turner didn't care what would happen to the victim, and simply excused it as 'She consented before passing out, so it was okay'.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 6, 2018

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

Hot Take: As much as I think the sentencing of Brock Turner was kinda bullshit, I'm not sure recalling judges for not sentencing people to enough jail is a great idea in the super prison-happy nation of the USA. I don't really want judges to be scared of looking soft, and thus just hammering people across the board.

What's more problematic to me, regarding the Turner case, was this, wherein I am quoting the judge who in turn is quoting sentencing guidelines.

I'd be willing to bet money that Persky wouldn't have been nearly as lenient to a rich white kid who went to Santa Clara University and did the same stuff. He's a Stanford graduate, and those people are all insane.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

If the GOP let's trump get away with pardoning all his buddies who hosed with the election your country is probably past the point of return if you're not there already

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Hot Karl Marx posted:

If the GOP let's trump get away with pardoning all his buddies who hosed with the election your country is probably past the point of return if you're not there already

they will, the GOP loves this poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Your president is saying his wife was "spotted" at least four times, and is upset that the media are not reporting about the "sightings" :lol::lol::lol:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
gently caress Brock Turner and gently caress Donald trump. You know Donald would agree with the judge on the ruling of that case.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

gently caress Brock Turner and gently caress Donald trump. You know Donald would agree with the judge on the ruling of that case.

Trump would’ve directly talked poo poo to the jury for finding him guilty.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Your president is saying his wife was "spotted" at least four times, and is upset that the media are not reporting about the "sightings" :lol::lol::lol:

The media did report those appearances, the problem is that he's deep into Executive Time today.

https://twitter.com/juddzeez/status/1004372535205597185?s=19

That's the problem with saying that morons like Tomi Lahren are irrelevant and shouldn't be posted. The President of the United States listens to those morons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tomi Lahren is an actual person that goes on TV. Jacob Wohl is just some dude that subtweets trump begging for a pardon and bill mitchell is an idiot who just tweets a lot. If they were regulars on fox n friends it would be a different story.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I agree, am a bit disgusted that I even know who Bill Mitchell and Jacob Wohl are at this point and they should just get memoryholed.

Also, loooooooooool

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1004359542308855809

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Killdozer Jr. was indeed driven by a drugged out 1LT.

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1004374400701902848?s=19

11 years in with a 2008-2009 Guard deployment to Afghanistan. Had a personal weapon on him with no ammo.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
sounds like one of his leaders should have asked him his weekend plans, and I hope that they're punished appropriately for failing their soldier

edit: Excuse me, Soldier

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Where was his battle buddy?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Was he at least wearing a reflective belt?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Was he at least wearing a reflective belt?

Asking the real questions.

Where was his TRIPS report?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
At least he probably didn't have to do a FLIPL.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

He sentenced a rapist that was caught, mid rape, to 3 months. C'mon.

The best part was where he lamented the damage this would do to Turner, and Turner's father came out and basically blamed the victim for being a whore. There is no excuse for the judge's sentencing. Sorry.

https://heavy.com/news/2016/06/brock-turner-father-dad-dan-turner-full-letter-statement-stanford-rapist/

If this had been any other rapist, they'd throw the book at him. The EXACT issue with his ruling is that he tries to excuse the 'damage this will do to Turner's life', which is disgusting because Brock Turner didn't care what would happen to the victim, and simply excused it as 'She consented before passing out, so it was okay'.

He sentenced him to 6 months, which is in line with what the probation department's report (which if it's like my state is usually in depth and carries a lot of weight with the judge), and IIRC this judge had a history of being very progressive with his sentencing (i.e. being lenient and/or diversionary in general).

gently caress Brock Turner and gently caress his sentence but I don't think it's fair to put all the weight of the failing of the criminal justice system on this judge and gently caress gently caress gently caress an elected judiciary for exactly this reason. Even if we want to give all the hate in the world to this judge adjudication by popular vote is loving terrible and the cure here is worse than the disease.

This is 2 steps forward for #metoo and 10 steps back for criminal justice reform.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Dude's commander is going to be pissed that they can't PMCS that APC because it's in police impound as evidence.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Killdozer Jr. was indeed driven by a drugged out 1LT.

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1004374400701902848?s=19

11 years in with a 2008-2009 Guard deployment to Afghanistan. Had a personal weapon on him with no ammo.

11 years in and he's only an O-2? Are they counting JROTC time or something?

Also--does having one of your vehicles in an impound lot count against readiness numbers?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
He's got to be prior enlisted, as an officer if you don't progress in rank you have to get out. There's no officer equivalent of riding out 14 years as an E6 to retirement.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

In the Guard you need to be in a slot that requires that rank to get promoted, and you can also refuse promotion (for a time). His situation isn't too crazy especially if he's prior.

Example: 1LT is promoted to CPT automatically, but can't pin CPT until he's in an MTOE slot that requires it. This is so we don't have O-3 XOs and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Itchy_Grundle posted:

11 years in and he's only an O-2? Are they counting JROTC time or something?

Also--does having one of your vehicles in an impound lot count against readiness numbers?

My guess is green to gold or he went to college and commissioned afterwards.

• Locked thread