Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My kids would be getting a refurbished iPad anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My kid got a Kindle Fire Kids tablet because I had to deal with a 486 all the way through 1997.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The fact of the matter is that the Nintendo Switch is the greatest video game console of all time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

It's gonna disappoint me if a new Animal Crossing game isn't announced. New Leaf is six years old, dammit!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It's gonna disappoint me if a new Animal Crossing game isn't announced. New Leaf is six years old, dammit!

Well if this E3 is the prophesized return of E3 2008, you (and only you) have nothing to worry about!

content
Feb 13, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

New Leaf is six years old, dammit!

Jesus, where does the time go?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I picked up a 8bitdo SF30 for my fake rear end snes classic with a raspberry pi 3 in it and it's one of the better controllers I've used. Highly recommend, especially if you were put off by how small the NES30 was.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheScott2K posted:

My kid got a Kindle Fire Kids tablet because I had to deal with a 486 all the way through 1997.

My daughter’s first computer is probably gonna be a Raspberry Pi kit, so she has to put some effort into it and understand stuff, put it together, use Linux, etc. But that’s gonna be for the preteen/teenage years, she’ll likely be getting an iPod Touch year before that.

Assuming she’s interested in electronics at all, anyway. If she’s not then that’s fine too!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Labo of all things made me aware that there's actually some pretty sophisticated new stuff in the joycons and pro controller. First of all the motion control uses both a gyro and accelerometer, unlike the DS4 and Move that only has the gyro. Secondly the HD rumble works completely different to older controllers. In those it's the usual quarter-circle piece om metal that spins around. The Switch version is a weight that snaps back and forth sideways. That let's it start and stop much faster and also has way more variety of force.
Not defending the stupid pricing but there is cool new tech in those bastards. Also, the IR camera is really nifty and I wish more games would find a way to use it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CascadeBeta posted:

I picked up a 8bitdo SF30 for my fake rear end snes classic with a raspberry pi 3 in it and it's one of the better controllers I've used. Highly recommend, especially if you were put off by how small the NES30 was.

8bitdo controllers are really good for those Pis. I picked up the SN30 (which was Amazon's Choice) because I was also playing PS1 era games on mine but they're pretty good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want an 8BitDo GameCube controller clone more than any other controller. I’m hoping they announce one for delivery around the Smash 5 release date.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So I have an of 3ds that's finally kicking the bucket (the r button is not working at all) and I'm curious, if I get a new system can I keep the ambassador games? I'd really like to keep the ability to play Metroid fusion and sacred stones without pulling my gba out from whatever box it's in

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

As much as the Pro controller looks kind of plain and cheap, it's legit one of the most comfortable and overall great controllers. Tell you the truth I'm kind of stunned at how great the triggers and buttons and stick/dpad feel on the thing, they just nailed it and it's kind of tough sometimes to go handheld compared to how loving great the Pro is. I had contemplated getting one of the 16bitdo things that looks like an SNES Advanced controller but the regular switchpro is just so good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mandatory lesbian posted:

So I have an of 3ds that's finally kicking the bucket (the r button is not working at all) and I'm curious, if I get a new system can I keep the ambassador games? I'd really like to keep the ability to play Metroid fusion and sacred stones without pulling my gba out from whatever box it's in

Yup, my ambassador games have followed me through four system transfers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can do a system transfer and those will all transfer to your new device.

Unfortunately the final confirm prompt for transfer has you press the R button

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

mandatory lesbian posted:

Absolutely, just do a System Transfer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lelandjs posted:

Yup, my ambassador games have followed me through four system transfers.

Ah hell yeah, thanks bud :cool:

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

You can do a system transfer and those will all transfer to your new device.

Unfortunately the final confirm prompt for transfer has you press the R button

No wait what for real

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

I want an 8BitDo GameCube controller clone more than any other controller. I’m hoping they announce one for delivery around the Smash 5 release date.

Not 8bitdo but:
https://twitter.com/NinSwitchNews/status/1003838763938734080

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Getting ready for Smash.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah I was just joking about the R button

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I love how the second Smash starts wafting through the air you know aftermarket GameCube controllers are on their way

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wired and by Power-A, who have never impressed me with a controller. Because of how my Switch is set up I actually need wireless controllers, I have it hidden behind a half wall so my daughter can't mess with it or the cables. She used to yank the Apple TV off the shelf when she could reach the various a/v components.

TheScott2K posted:

I love how the second Smash starts wafting through the air you know aftermarket GameCube controllers are on their way
I don't want one specifically for Smash (though I do have a friend that refuses anything but a GameCube style controller for Smash play) I just really like the GameCube controller.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 6, 2018

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
drat May had lots of nice games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BplExZH8IQ

I'm kind of holding out for any surprise E3 drops before getting anything but there's like half a dozen games there I'd buy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

99% for Smash, 1% chance of GC "virtual console," right?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Protip - the Wii U Gamecube adapter works with the Switch if you already have that or just prefer to use original GC controllers. Support was quietly added in one of the Switch firmware updates a while ago.

Do wavebirds work with the Wii U adapter? 🤔

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Guy Goodbody posted:

Inti Creates released some sales data for Bloodstained

https://twitter.com/IntiCreatesEN/status/1004207303761932290

I like to tell myself I'm not a "fanboy", but when I keep hearing these stories about how these great games are doing well on the Switch it makes me more likely to purchase that game on the Switch instead of my PS4 or Steam. ( As long as there's no stability/FPS sacrifices. )

I don't really find these successes all that surprising though, portability for indie games seems like a huge bonus. Also I feel like PS4 is starting to have the same problem as Steam where a lot of games get drowned out by other releases.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lodin posted:

Labo of all things made me aware that there's actually some pretty sophisticated new stuff in the joycons and pro controller. First of all the motion control uses both a gyro and accelerometer, unlike the DS4 and Move that only has the gyro. Secondly the HD rumble works completely different to older controllers. In those it's the usual quarter-circle piece om metal that spins around. The Switch version is a weight that snaps back and forth sideways. That let's it start and stop much faster and also has way more variety of force.
Not defending the stupid pricing but there is cool new tech in those bastards. Also, the IR camera is really nifty and I wish more games would find a way to use it.

Plus the joycons/pro controller have a perpetual battery vs. PS4's dingdong three hour battery or Xbone's need for double AA

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Protip - the Wii U Gamecube adapter works with the Switch if you already have that or just prefer to use original GC controllers. Support was quietly added in one of the Switch firmware updates a while ago.

Do wavebirds work with the Wii U adapter? 🤔

As long as you have both USBs in to power it, I assume so, but you can probably only fit two because the ports are close together, unless you also use extension cords or something

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

DLC Inc posted:

As much as the Pro controller looks kind of plain and cheap, it's legit one of the most comfortable and overall great controllers. Tell you the truth I'm kind of stunned at how great the triggers and buttons and stick/dpad feel on the thing, they just nailed it and it's kind of tough sometimes to go handheld compared to how loving great the Pro is. I had contemplated getting one of the 16bitdo things that looks like an SNES Advanced controller but the regular switchpro is just so good.

My one gripe about the pro controller is I actually think the dpad is really bad. It's super mushy and doesn't feel like you're making concrete inputs.

content
Feb 13, 2014

repiv posted:

Are there any places where the analog triggers would work? Is the Switch even set up to take the input?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

My one gripe about the pro controller is I actually think the dpad is really bad. It's super mushy and doesn't feel like you're making concrete inputs.

That's probably the least controversial opinion in this thread. I just use my 8bitdo controller for dpad heavy games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My 8bitdo SN30 stopped working and no amount of attempting to re-sync it or recharge it helps. :(

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

As long as you have both USBs in to power it, I assume so, but you can probably only fit two because the ports are close together, unless you also use extension cords or something

I only have the mayflash adapter, not the official one, but it uses gc spacing so wavebird receivers fit fine

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't reveal my sources but I have it on good information that we're getting an Animal Crossing battle royale for the Nintendo Switch

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Your Computer posted:

I can't reveal my sources but I have it on good information that we're getting an Animal Crossing battle royale for the Nintendo Switch

100 Villagers drop into a town and the one who pays off their debt to Nook the fastest gets to live.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I need a Civ game on Switch! I don't want to buy a newer ipad just to play on the go :(

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The GameCube controller face button layout was perfect and should never have changed.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CascadeBeta posted:

100 Villagers drop into a town and the one who pays off their debt to Nook the fastest gets to live.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Are licensed 3rd party accessories like those any better than random ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Motto posted:

Are licensed 3rd party accessories like those any better than random ones?

Hori's licenced gear certainly is.

• Locked thread