Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

According to Amazon the new "album" will be available on CD the same day as the vinyl is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Yeah that Melvin’s Guy is insufferable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

While I'm ragging on Reznor here's a Melvins account of them touring with NIN during the Downward Spiral tour: https://www.spin.com/2012/09/melvins-51-states-tour-diary-rob-zombie-sucks/

Now, The Melvins are pretentious assholes. But it's pretty funny because the Melvins guy goes: 'yeah, NIN were MTV babyrockers and we weren't into that, and we watched them destroy a $30,000 arena dressing room because they were idiot kids. But overall they were nice to us, which is rare in this business, and put on a good show so we didn't have any complaints, unlike Rob Zombie... because gently caress Rob Zombie."

Maybe one day I'll move to Vegas, live cheaply, find work in the service sector and/or methamphetamine distribution, and have all the cheap concert tickets in the world because every band goes through there.

Q: do you know what the word pretentious means

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

are you saying this ISNT pretentious?

The video was OK, I guess, and surprisingly enough the chorus to this baby rocker hit was “I want to gently caress you like an animal,” which I couldn’t get my head around because the music that goes along with this “gently caress-you-like-an-animal” sex boast sounds like weak, elevator music synth crap and would by no means lead you to believe the singer is capable of doing anything “like an animal.” I suppose he could get hosed like an animal, but that’s not what he’s saying.

I suppose he could be writing in the “third person,” but I ain’t buying that either.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The Melvins are great but Buzz definitely comes across as pretty pretentious in that interview. From other parts of that diary:

quote:

I’m also reading Oscar Wilde’s Picture of Dorian Gray. In its own, completely antithetical way, it is also heartbreaking. By way of selfishly succumbing to base desires, the characters in this book fill me with pity and despair. I stare out the window of the van between chapters, chewing on sunflower seeds trying not to cry. Then I crawl into bed with Natalie Wood on my laptop, dejected and melancholy — her and I both — and ponder asceticism, morality, and compassion.

quote:

After all, I’m getting paid to slam my hands into a hollow piece of wood with metal strings on it. The thing is amplified so a couple hundred people can hear it from across the room. For some reason when and where I place my fingers seems to make a big difference. If I can somehow coordinate my physical motions with that of the two other guys’ motions, the reaction it produces is to great effect. People seem to like it. It’s not an enormous amount of people, but it’s impressive enough.

quote:

After the show a slightly overweight but still somehow attractive “Goth” looking girl told me that I should stay out of the graveyards around there because it’s hard enough for them in that town as it is.

He's very talented but also actually pretentious as gently caress.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 5, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

A human heart posted:

quote:

This was NIN’s Downward Spiral tour, which ended up being the bands zenith, meaning it was their biggest and most interesting album along with the biggest and most semi-interesting point in their career. I honestly didn’t know much about NIN before this tour. I mean I knew they were popular with the MTV baby rock crowd and that they had sold a lot of records but I had never actually listened to one of them. Why would I? I usually have no interest in checking out what sort of bands the baby rockers dig. This is as a result of almost always hating whatever bands the baby rockers dig.

That’s not hard to do. The baby rockers are wrong. Wrong about everything actually.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The weirdest part of it is him talking down to people that smash things while also saying that when he was their age, while still acting like their motivations are because they are spoiled children while not applying that to himself.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
To be fair, Trent was almost 30 when TDS came out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
imagine thinking that "I want to gently caress you like an animal" is a boast lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

To be fair, Trent was almost 30 when TDS came out.

To be fair back, dude from the Melvins doesn't seem to know that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the Melvins loving own but yeah Buzz is an Albini-level douchenozzle

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember when Melvins and Isis played at a small club in Boston, I didn't give a poo poo about Isis so I went around the back to smoke a joint and ended up sharing with the members of Melvins minus the singer. They seemed pretty chill, one of them had a dry-erase marker and was writing a bunch of random poo poo all over Isis' tour van.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

precision posted:

the Melvins loving own but yeah Buzz is an Albini-level douchenozzle

Albini's that bad?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Albini's that bad?

Arguably worse. After producing Surfer Rosa, he asked to have his name removed from the liner notes and called it "a pinched off turd"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

precision posted:

Arguably worse. After producing Surfer Rosa, he asked to have his name removed from the liner notes and called it "a pinched off turd"

you have to include the whole quote for maximum :discourse:

quote:

"A patchwork pinch loaf from a band who at their top dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock. Their willingness to be 'guided' by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

you have to include the whole quote for maximum :discourse:
Does Steve Albini just not know what good music is or what?

Like, Pixies now? Sure, but not Surfer Rosa era Pixies.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 6, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao holy poo poo yeah the full quote is even more :smug: than i remember

Incidentally, he has never asked for his name to be removed from the credits for this masterpiece of indie rock

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

precision posted:

That's just a plain funny thing to do

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

lmao holy poo poo yeah the full quote is even more :smug: than i remember

Incidentally, he has never asked for his name to be removed from the credits for this masterpiece of indie rock

:lol: when I went from cassettes to CDs (I'M OLD) I bought four CDs to start off: Nine Inch Nails-Broken, Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream, Type O Negative-October Rust and Bush-Razorblade Suitcase.

Guess which of those albums I still to this day haven't listened to all the way through?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

:lol: when I went from cassettes to CDs (I'M OLD) I bought four CDs to start off: Nine Inch Nails-Broken, Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream, Type O Negative-October Rust and Bush-Razorblade Suitcase.

Guess which of those albums I still to this day haven't listened to all the way through?

It's such a phenomenally far fall from Sixteen Stone. Did they rip off Nirvana? Maybe. Was Sixteen Stone still excellent? Yes.

Alien was the best track :colbert:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I can usually get up through track 8. I didn't even know there was stuff after track 8.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't know people hate that album. But then again, I got it when I was in middle school, so :shrug:

If I was home, I'm sure my iTunes would tell me I have over 70 listens of every track on that album since the first iPod.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of Bush, did y'all know they're still together? Because I saw this a few weeks ago and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki88m6v77dM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I heard their new radio single awhile back and it is hilarious they seem to be trying a radio rock thing like the Goo Goo Dolls because man they can not pull that off at all and that poo poo was horrendous

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of 90s bands, this festival here that I've been going to every year for the past like 12 years (where I've seen NIN twice) announced their lineup for this year and loving Third Eye Blind is on it :lol:

So is A Perfect Circle and Marilyn Manson. I reeeeeeeeally can't get excited about APC being on that lineup after their new album. God, that thing was..........not good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I heard their new radio single awhile back and it is hilarious they seem to be trying a radio rock thing like the Goo Goo Dolls because man they can not pull that off at all and that poo poo was horrendous

all that radio fart rock is the most painful poo poo to listen to. Goo Goo Dolls, The Verve Pipe, all that poo poo.

funnily enough the Goo Goo Dolls had like one decent grunge album before they went full AOR.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It kills me that bands like that are considered rock when bands like The Sword and Graveyard exist that deserve to be on every radio station in the country

e: I'm not even projecting my personal music tastes, they're both amazing bands that are basically pure rock & roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBFdL4phvp8&t=1140s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Mb2dsSqrs

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 7, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

It kills me that bands like that are considered rock when bands like The Sword and Graveyard exist that deserve to be on every radio station in the country

poo poo like that destroys my faith in people. Like I'll be talking to someone who says "oh well I mostly listen to hard rock" and then they list a bunch of bands that couldn't get hard in a whorehouse and I'll be like "have you heard of The loving Champs, Dead Meadow, Pelican, whatever" and they just look at me like :geno: and it's like LIVE A LITTLE

There's also a whole subset of humans who for some reason refuse to ever admit that something they didn't discover for themselves is great, which also drives me nuts.

Being a music-obsessive is a curse! Let me use it for good at least! :mad:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

precision posted:

poo poo like that destroys my faith in people. Like I'll be talking to someone who says "oh well I mostly listen to hard rock" and then they list a bunch of bands that couldn't get hard in a whorehouse and I'll be like "have you heard of The loving Champs, Dead Meadow, Pelican, whatever" and they just look at me like :geno: and it's like LIVE A LITTLE

There's also a whole subset of humans who for some reason refuse to ever admit that something they didn't discover for themselves is great, which also drives me nuts.

Being a music-obsessive is a curse! Let me use it for good at least! :mad:

And the wonderful thing about being a music-obsessive is being receptive to that kind of poo poo.

For example, I love Pelican but I've literally never heard of Dead Meadow or The loving Champs. Are they Pelican-type bands or are you just listing "good rock bands" in general?

e: also this is probably a no-brainer if you like Pelican, but on the off chance you haven't already, you need to go listen to Russian Circles like right now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pelican and Russian Circles both loving own. I've seen them both multiple times and they put on a hell of a live show. They'd probably make good openers for NIN, actually. Better than Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed.

I love Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed, but Pelican and Russian Circles fit with NIN way more stylistically.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The loving Champs were buddies with Trans Am (there's a The loving Am and a The Trans Champs record but they're hit or miss) and they're pretty much just good heavy metal. Like they're jokey in the sense that they have a song called "Thor is Like, Godly" but they're not "ironically playing metal". They're great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH0AXOxibPI

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Albini is a total turd but somewhat mellowed out as he got older.

But his body of work is impressive though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Does Albini still absolutely hate digitally mixed/mastered work?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

algebra testes posted:

Albini is a total turd but somewhat mellowed out as he got older.

But his body of work is impressive though.

This is true, but it's also true that when he produces an album he just turns everything on and leaves the room. His production style is "raw" because he doesn't really do anything.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does Albini still absolutely hate digitally mixed/mastered work?

He is still an analog only guy, yes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

precision posted:

This is true, but it's also true that when he produces an album he just turns everything on and leaves the room. His production style is "raw" because he doesn't really do anything.

That may be true, but the stuff they play on college radio is also "raw" and... Well, there's definitely a difference.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Dead Meadow is way more psychedelic and swirly than Pelican. I love both bands, but definitely not in the same camp.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They added some new dates

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Maybe I’m dumb, but is it legit buying these tickets on Stubhub? Yeah the prices are a bit of a ripoff but I would have bought a couple if it didn’t involve driving 3 hours both ways to Dallas to stand in line all day. I guess I thought the whole point of Trent doing this was so they DIDN’T end up on these sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

roboshit posted:

Maybe I’m dumb, but is it legit buying these tickets on Stubhub? Yeah the prices are a bit of a ripoff but I would have bought a couple if it didn’t involve driving 3 hours both ways to Dallas to stand in line all day. I guess I thought the whole point of Trent doing this was so they DIDN’T end up on these sites?

There really wasn't anything to prevent them from being resold, aside from being physical tickets. StubHub is legit, I've never had an instance where I got ripped off buying tickets from there. A bunch of tickets for the Detroit show are going for below face (fees included), which is nice.