Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Well, it looks like I'm done drinking anything else for the summer...

https://twitter.com/OffcolorBrewing/status/1003727704011825163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Holy gently caress Yes.

In my beer stories, I was traveling around WI and MN for the past 8 days. One of my favorite stops was at Fair State Brewing in Minneapolis where I got 4 bottles to take home. The bartender tracked me down on facebook because he gave me the wrong bottle and since they were in bags I never looked. I probably wouldn't have noticed until I went to actually drink them and realized I would have never bought a smoked wheat sour. But luckily, despite the semi-weird stalking, I was able to just swap the wrong one for what I ordered and got a free pour out of the deal. Good thing I didn't delete my facebook acct yet?
But seriously even without that Fair State was really solid (good ipa, good pils, good to great mixed fermentations). Recommended if you're ever in Minneapolis.

E: Also for JP stuff, the new brewpub here is sponsoring my Ultimate league. So that is cool.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2018

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Holy gently caress Yes.

In my beer stories, I was traveling around WI and MN for the past 8 days. One of my favorite stops was at Fair State Brewing in Minneapolis where I got 4 bottles to take home. The bartender tracked me down on facebook because he gave me the wrong bottle and since they were in bags I never looked. I probably wouldn't have noticed until I went to actually drink them and realized I would have never bought a smoked wheat sour. But luckily, despite the semi-weird stalking, I was able to just swap the wrong one for what I ordered and got a free pour out of the deal. Good thing I didn't delete my facebook acct yet?
But seriously even without that Fair State was really solid (good ipa, good pils, good to great mixed fermentations). Recommended if you're ever in Minneapolis.

E: Also for JP stuff, the new brewpub here is sponsoring my Ultimate league. So that is cool.

Fair State is the poo poo and I even like their lichtenheiner. If I saw my family up there more often I would definitely be a coop member.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

ISO

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Good luck. That poo poo is going to be rare as hell after I drink it all...

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Fat Lou posted:

You either have a bad bottle or a broken mouth.

There's a hop that makes beer taste like dill water and this was my exact thoughts when I drank a can of it.

Turns out brewers are just dumb enough to make single hop pickle water.

fe: sorachi ace

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

Good luck. That poo poo is going to be rare as hell after I drink it all...

Do you think this will see distro? I see they mention hitting Chicago shelves so maybe not. We get a bunch of Off Color in Oregon and it mostly sits on shelves :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fat Lou posted:

You either have a bad bottle or a broken mouth.

It tasted so much like dill.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dphi posted:

Do you think this will see distro? I see they mention hitting Chicago shelves so maybe not. We get a bunch of Off Color in Oregon and it mostly sits on shelves :(

I wouldn't think so but I've heard some of their smaller batch stuff has gone out of the area so who knows. I wonder how the new location will change that, too.

A follow up tweet said its available now at the Mousetrap so I might be figuring out a time to get there sooner rather than later...

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Quick Grand Rapids Trip Report:

Greyline - Ruled. A number of good beers were on tap (all the IPAs I tried, DryPA, the basic stout) and I regretted nothing. Dinosaur Jr., Misfits, and Replacements for music helped the 3 PM on a Wednesday crowd feel it.

Vivant - Interesting brews, real cool set up, very friendly people. Beer was mostly just ok outside of Tart of Darkness but it was a real cool set up

City Built Brewing - Decent number of beers, cool brewery, but I wasn't sold on a lot of what I drank. Tasty, but not great in most cases. Really enjoyed their Gerald Fjord table beer but otherwise thought it was somewhat forgettable, despite my desire for Fluffy Pink Unicorns to be good (it was not)

Founders - This is a crazy neat facility, very similar to Troegs but in a downtown environment, but I don't think I can do any more of Founder's beers. Everything was so sweet, to pain of death. Double Trouble, Black Barleywine, everything was just so sweet I got diabetes just looking at them. Just say no. Except for the beer cheese. That was delicious.

Saugatuck Brewing Company - They actually had a number of good beers. I recommend them even though it is kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

the yellow dart posted:

Quick Grand Rapids Trip Report:

Founders - This is a crazy neat facility, very similar to Troegs but in a downtown environment, but I don't think I can do any more of Founder's beers. Everything was so sweet, to pain of death. Double Trouble, Black Barleywine, everything was just so sweet I got diabetes just looking at them. Just say no. Except for the beer cheese. That was delicious.

Have you been to the breweries around Tampa?

Apache
May 11, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

Have you been to the breweries around Tampa?

Are there others aside from Angry Chair that specialize in diabeetus beer around Tampa? All I ever visit anymore are 7th Sun, Cigar City, Hidden Springs, and Coppertail, none of which do stuff that's overly sweet.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cycle stouts are tapping on the toes of "too sweet" and that's the only other thing I can think of, but I haven't had the hyped stouts from Hidden Springs. No one else is really aping the beetus pastry stouts because it's too loving hot outside to drink that stuff.

Edit: oh wait there's garagiste and the handful of cideries around like CCCM but that doesn't count.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Many of the El Cat beers were openly dessert beers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Whoops yeah you're right. CCB is kind of the origin of it all because Ryan from AC and Doug from Cycle both used to work at CCB. It's funny how most of the tampa pastry stouts are mutations of zhukov.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Cycle stout base originated as a Zhukov recipe

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Whoops yeah you're right. CCB is kind of the origin of it all because Ryan from AC and Doug from Cycle both used to work at CCB. It's funny how most of the tampa pastry stouts are mutations of zhukov.

linkedin dickpic posted:

The Cycle stout base originated as a Zhukov recipe

loving echo chamber in here...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm drunk and didn't read his post right :downswords:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i love you, Triple Crossing, but come the gently caress on

"Soldiers of Summer 4% Berliner Weisse featuring 100% Raspberries which was brewed in collaboration with @hopculturemag and will be poured at Juicy Brews Invitational. Along with Soldiers of Summer there will be accompanying glassware, three separate labels for this beer randomly released throughout the day and 3 other cans (1 announced later today). We are shooting for 250 cases at $17.50 per 4 pack (1 case limit)."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

"Soldiers of Summer 4% Berliner Weisse featuring 100% Raspberries which was brewed in collaboration with @hopculturemag and will be poured at Juicy Brews Invitational. Along with Soldiers of Summer there will be accompanying glassware, three separate labels for this beer randomly released throughout the day and 3 other cans (1 announced later today). We are shooting for 250 cases at $17.50 per 4 pack (1 case limit)."

You know your industry is healthy and set up for long-term success when you are inspired by the comic book sales model!

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

How long 'til breweries start releasing random-packed beer "booster packs"? Collect all the rare holofoil label adjunct variants!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

how about a mobile game where you go around collecting beer labels

wait

Flunky posted:

How long 'til breweries start releasing random-packed beer "booster packs"? Collect all the rare holofoil label adjunct variants!

let me tap my FOMO Generator real quick

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 6, 2018

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Trip report: cuvée rene kriek is still good as hell.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I can't wait for unlabeled beer can lootboxes. You don't know what's inside until you pop the top! Could be an adjunct lager, could be a stale IPA, could be a holiday Charizard, who knows.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Been spending most of my drinking time on Highland Park's dry-hopped & unfiltered pilsners; perfect for the beginning of summer in LA and slamming a can of the latter on the walk to Dodger stadium from the new Chinatown location is a treat in itself.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My Tired Hands Pokemon av finally becomes real

Which one of you bought it, anyway?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

I can't wait for unlabeled beer can lootboxes. You don't know what's inside until you pop the top! Could be an adjunct lager, could be a stale IPA, could be a holiday Charizard, who knows.

Let me tell you about beer discovery clubs....

I mean the beer isn't unlabled by they are mixed boxes of mystery beer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

I have a friend who has been into Michigan craft beer for over 20 years now, and he tries to collect 2 of every release with a unique label. He really hates when Bells releases new designs of their mini kegs.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Aramoro posted:

Let me tell you about beer discovery clubs....

I mean the beer isn't unlabled by they are mixed boxes of mystery beer.

The one I tried (boxbeers.dk) was actually pretty good, never got any garbage and got to try a lot of breweries I'd never even heard about.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

The one I tried (boxbeers.dk) was actually pretty good, never got any garbage and got to try a lot of breweries I'd never even heard about.

Yeah I used the Honestbrew one in the UK when I was kinda new to this and didn't know what I liked

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

Full disclosure. This is literally what my wife does for a job, makes up these boxes. Some of them are genuinely very very good. It's a competitive market just now so you're getting some really great boxes as the companies try to compete with each other. There will always be some dud boxes but in general they seem good.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh hey, are we talking about the next BIF?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

I have a friend who has been into Michigan craft beer for over 20 years now, and he tries to collect 2 of every release with a unique label. He really hates when Bells releases new designs of their mini kegs.

Lt_Tofu posted:

Oh hey, are we talking about the next BIF?

lol

put our German pils in 16oz cans today- now a certain someone needs to give me their new address...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

put our German pils in 16oz cans today- now a certain someone needs to give me their new address...

You're too kind. New job doesn't pay til the 24th so the beer budget's at Hamm's levels. Dire times.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

funkybottoms posted:

PM incoming

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

lol

1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

TIA

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gay Retard posted:

That sounds like the opposite of a problem.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

TIA

not even joking, but if Hillary had won, we would 100% have our beer in the White House (Tim Kaine is a regular and had his son's graduation party in our beer garden)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

not even joking, but if Hillary had won, we would 100% have our beer in the White House (Tim Kaine is a regular and had his son's graduation party in our beer garden)

You really don't need to reiterate how much better things would have been if she'd won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Short notice, but hey SoCal guys, what super-new places should I be checking out? Special interest: Temecula, North Park, San Marcos/Vista, and Anaheim. Planned stops are Refuge, Fall, Burgeon, Mother Earth, Lost Abbey, Twisted Horn Meadery, Noble Ale Works. I'd like to hit Green Cheek but they're dark on Mondays, so any places that pour or (ideally) sell crowlers of their stuff would be welcome suggestions.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, doing Hessfest and Stone Sourfest and all of the above. PM me today if you want to grab a beer - I don't forum on my phone.