Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

Tesla made many mistakes with the Model 3 production line, Musk admitted. He then bizarrely told the crowd that in the end, "Tesla's manufacturing is going to be the thing we're remembered for." 
:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

well you have to pick between academics and winning a national championship in football

:mmmhmm:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lol that he used the “but our cars have soul” argument

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

he's not wrong, just probably not quite in the way he intended

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

well you have to pick between academics and winning a national championship in football

They don't have either

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Waroduce posted:

They don't have either

hows birmingham this time of year?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spime Wrangler posted:

lol that he used the “but our cars have soul” argument

well they do when it gets absorbed after it leaves your smashed body

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Waroduce posted:

They don't have either

:thejoke:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1004425240741629952

:hmbol:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1004441988417163265

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Is there a meal delivery MLM scam yet? Seems like a good idea if any of y'all want to fire one up.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

muckswirler posted:

Is there a meal delivery MLM scam yet? Seems like a good idea if any of y'all want to fire one up.

it’s literally the supermarket

suckers invest down the line and are left holding the bag with a bunch of food

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Not a Children posted:

suckers invest down the line and are left holding the bag with a bunch of food

once again the conservative sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I was going to invest in a sandwich mutual fund but now I can't really trust a fund manager to draw a line as to what is or isn't a sandwich

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

muckswirler posted:

uhhh yeah have you heard of..... The Government???

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

muckswirler posted:

probably get into the prepper grift with that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

sonatinas posted:

probably get into the prepper grift with that

oh gently caress yes. just think of all the low quality "food" you could get them to buy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

isn't there already that guy who sells like 55 gallon drums of creamed corn and stuff to preppers through a megachurch

that's got to be a scam somehow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

isn't there already that guy who sells like 55 gallon drums of creamed corn and stuff to preppers through a megachurch

mormons are all supposed to keep like a year of food available so maybe that

or the company that supplies all the mormons decided to branch out

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

good advice in general imho

mega agreed

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

costcos got ya covered https://www.costco.com/THRIVE-1-Year-Food-Storage-31%2C500-Servings.product.11763436.html

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

that's got to be a s
if you cost out the contents of pre-made prepper/emergency kits, theres typically a 5x-10x markup

i remember when having your own apocalypse seed bank was a thing among teotwawki types, and people were paying $1200 for kits with like $20 worth of lettuce and cucumber and tomato plant seeds (kit did not include soil or fertilizer or netting or pest control or any of the thousand other things you need to feed yourself besides seeds)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
heh. i see you used fiat currency in your scenario there, which is worthless anyway, so it doesn't matter how big the markup is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the whole prepper industry is a scam. you're all set for when civil war II breaks out, what are you gonna do about your freeze dried food when the water/gas/electricity supplies get cut off?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

here u go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FCKGW posted:

the whole prepper industry is a scam. you're all set for when civil war II breaks out, what are you gonna do about your freeze dried food when the water/gas/electricity supplies get cut off?

lol ultralight 'cold soak' gonna make a comeback

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
prepping for short interruptions in municipal services and possibly job insecurity = smart

prepping for nuclear war = lol buy some shades and go outside and hug your loved ones as you watch the world come down

but this requires a non prepper mindset

remember that preppers are excited about nuclear war that eliminates 98% of the population because that's the only way they'll be the most fuckable person in the room

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

mormons are all supposed to keep like a year of food available so maybe that

or the company that supplies all the mormons decided to branch out

that stuff is pretty popular with the southern baptists too

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

The best survivalist skill to cultivate is sheep friendship

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

remember that preppers are excited about nuclear war that eliminates 98% of the population because that's the only way they'll be the most fuckable person in the room

unforunately the only girls left over will also be prepper types

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

if you cost out the contents of pre-made prepper/emergency kits, theres typically a 5x-10x markup

i remember when having your own apocalypse seed bank was a thing among teotwawki types, and people were paying $1200 for kits with like $20 worth of lettuce and cucumber and tomato plant seeds (kit did not include soil or fertilizer or netting or pest control or any of the thousand other things you need to feed yourself besides seeds)

this is exactly why the mormon church sells this stuff directly - their congregation kept getting ripped the gently caress off from stuff like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is exactly why the mormon church sells this stuff directly - their congregation kept getting ripped the gently caress off from stuff like that

yep they basically nationalize (since LDS is so separatist and We Only Patronize Mormon Biz) anything that could cause them to be taken advantage of by muggles

they have financing services for homes too, to get mormons in houses without being beholden to mugglebanks

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm prepping for short interruptions in municipal services and possibly job insecurity by keeping a well-curated list of singleplayer games downloaded to my SSD at all times.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lambert posted:

I'm prepping for short interruptions in municipal services and possibly job insecurity by keeping a well-curated list of singleplayer games downloaded to my SSD at all times.
i hope you have a portable generator with a supply of gas to power ur pc for another few days

bonus you can leave it running inside your room and slowly painlessly die of oxygen depreviation and go to sleep forever as you play ur games

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

prepping for short interruptions in municipal services and possibly job insecurity = smart

prepping for nuclear war = lol buy some shades and go outside and hug your loved ones as you watch the world come down

but this requires a non prepper mindset

i tried watching that preppers show because their wackadoo methods and families going along with things was entertaining at first

but it quickly wears on you because these guys always have super hosed up views about society that leak through when they're not just straightup telling the camera that the librul president is never gonna end the fed which is why i bought this here MRAP and make my wife and daughter practice rolling thunder firing drills from it once a month

that guy was actually p funny because his part started as explaining how they live on a little alaskan island and how that area is prone to tsunamis and what he's doin to guard against that. then they reveal the MRAP

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

i hope you have a portable generator with a supply of gas to power ur pc for another few days

bonus you can leave it running inside your room and slowly painlessly die of oxygen depreviation and go to sleep forever as you play ur games

the best trick that i saw during an Arkansas ice storm was to steal a lawnmower, wait till 3am, start the lawnmower in somebody's yard, then kill their generator and steal it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

yep they basically nationalize (since LDS is so separatist and We Only Patronize Mormon Biz) anything that could cause them to be taken advantage of by muggles

they have financing services for homes too, to get mormons in houses without being beholden to mugglebanks

lmao muggles

i love when fiction just assumes that they go and form their own separatist colony because of course they do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we hung out on a prepper ham net for a while and it was cute solar oven and battery power stuff until they got into a "ok shtf, whats the first thing you do" scenario and one guy replied "Get some gas by walking around my neighborhood with a pistol and a gas can"

if poo poo hits the fan, shoot all preppers on sight before they shoot you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's not terribly surprising that a lot of tech workers also get into a prepper mentality because eagerly accelerating the collapse of society is in the job description