Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Who was cancelling Lucifer? Fox for airing it or WB due to it being a DC property (and producing?)?

With the whole Disney/Fox thing going on (and going off?), maybe there was a sense that should the acquisition happen that there wasn't going to be a continued, long-term home for the series on Fox, anyway?

Is the Fox Network part of the Fox deal, though? That Fox/Disney thing feels like it's been teased and talked about for so long that I don't even know who owns what, anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JediTalentAgent posted:

Who was cancelling Lucifer? Fox for airing it or WB due to it being a DC property (and producing?)?

With the whole Disney/Fox thing going on (and going off?), maybe there was a sense that should the acquisition happen that there wasn't going to be a continued, long-term home for the series on Fox, anyway?

Is the Fox Network part of the Fox deal, though? That Fox/Disney thing feels like it's been teased and talked about for so long that I don't even know who owns what, anymore.

I’m pretty sure each company has a team of lawyers that are going to be spending the next few years figuring out exactly who owns what and how much of it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JediTalentAgent posted:

If Brimstone had just come out 10-15 years later, it'd probably have been fairly successful.

I loved that show. John Glover was awesome as Satan.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There was this one show where The Devil was a recurring character but was played by a different actor/actress every episode but I can't remember what it was called right now

Pretty sure it got axed very early too

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alhazred posted:

Did the show explain why the devil would care about solving crimes?

In the TV show Lucifer was the reluctant guardian of Hell, banished there by God after his failed rebellion.

He decides to make a holiday to LA permanent but realises that he still quite enjoys punishing evil people. He is not evil himself, just self-absorbed and hedonistic. Solving murders scratches an itch, fuels his ego and allows him to get closer to the detective who showed her tits in a movie when she was a teenager.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

Everything about Brimstone was great, and it was really well planned out. There were some nice hidden touches, like the amount of money Zeke has.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sassassin posted:

In the TV show Lucifer was the reluctant guardian of Hell, banished there by God after his failed rebellion.

He decides to make a holiday to LA permanent but realises that he still quite enjoys punishing evil people. He is not evil himself, just self-absorbed and hedonistic. Solving murders scratches an itch, fuels his ego and allows him to get closer to the detective who showed her tits in a movie when she was a teenager.

but get this, his lucifer boner powers doesnt work on her. dun dun duuuuun

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
remember god the devil and bob? that is all

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jedit posted:

Everything about Brimstone was great, and it was really well planned out. There were some nice hidden touches, like the amount of money Zeke has.

I think even the number of souls he had to collect was a number that was fairly close to what a full 4-5 season number of episodes would have come out to be, too.

edit:
I just remembered the short-lived USA show G vs E. I seem to remember that show had a fairly strong cult following of people trying to save it, but I've not heard much about it in the last dozen or so years.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Tying a few threads together:

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1003794219515834368

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I really hope Shatner's being facetious and not a jackass, because Tom Ellis is one of his biggest supporters.

https://twitter.com/tomellis17/status/1003785142500982784

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shatner is a fan of the show

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mister Kingdom posted:

I remember that show now.

There was one scene where the main character got visited by an angel and he freaked out because angels look the same as the devil because he's an angel, too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I do! It was such an inoffensive show, but a lot of NBC(?) stations refused to even air it, and it was cancelled after 3 episodes, because of blaspheme :ohdear:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

fruit on the bottom posted:

I mean I sort of get it. Police procedural is probably the safest format in the history of television, so if you’re worried about any weird show concept not working you can pretty much just wed it to the procedural format and be on your way

At some point you have to actually make it weird though, not just make it straight up a police procedural where some of the characters are actually thousand year old devils and angels that look exactly like humans and act like humans.

Haven did a much better job of the "weird police procedural" for me.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I always wanted to see it just for the casting of later-years James Garner as the voice of God, but I never got the chance :(

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wait the show was based on that Sandman spinoff comic?!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

Wait the show was based on that Sandman spinoff comic?!

In name only, but yes. Lucifer is running Lux, Mazikeen is a regular, and Amenadiel is there giving Lucifer poo poo. That's where the resemblance ends.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pastry of the Year posted:

I always wanted to see it just for the casting of later-years James Garner as the voice of God, but I never got the chance :(

Im sure it holds up just fine.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Amazon streaming has Babylon 5, so I've been watching that again. It holds up surprisingly well, especially the pacing. Everything except the CG every time they show the station's exterior. Looks like something straight out of Captain Power.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It always surprises me how well Batman: TAS holds up. I always expect it to be one of those shows that was a fairly good kids' show that just sticks in our memories as really good because we were kids and it was better and different than a lot of kids' shows at the time. But then I actually see an episode, and it's like oh yeah, these characters are all written well, and Bruce Wayne has a personality beyond "playboy", and the music and whole style is awesome. It's a legit good show that holds up well, and there's a reason beyond "It's what I was exposed to as a kid" that a lot of people find it to be one of the best portrayals of Batman and the Joker.

As far as actually on topic, a lot of old SNL is terrible. A lot of classic skits are really, really cringy. Like Pat, or the John Belushi samurai skit. Hell, it wasn't that long ago they had Fred Armisen in black face playing Obama because Keenan was the only black guy. I think they get away with some stuff because a cast that small isn't going to have people of the right ethnicity, build, and ability to imitate everyone that they want to satirize? But poo poo like yellowface is still being done instead of either hiring more asians, or just not doing skits about asians. I get Kim Jung Un and poo poo like that, but maybe don't invent characters and skits if you don't actually have someone of that race to play them. Judging by trying to google older lovely skits though, looks like they still do a lot of asian face, and at least once not long ago Colin Jost said democrats lost the election because trans people have too many genders or some poo poo.

The Pat one still makes me so mad though. Definitely one of the things that made me loathe and be disgusted by myself for being nonbinary for so long.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

psychopomp posted:

Amazon streaming has Babylon 5, so I've been watching that again. It holds up surprisingly well, especially the pacing. Everything except the CG every time they show the station's exterior. Looks like something straight out of Captain Power.

Digital rot is probably the biggest tragedy of B5.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Iron Crowned posted:

I do! It was such an inoffensive show, but a lot of NBC(?) stations refused to even air it, and it was cancelled after 3 episodes, because of blaspheme :ohdear:

Interesting how that was a pretty isolated event

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Samuringa posted:

As I remember it (I last watched the series in 2010, so I have no idea how much of it might be cringeworthy now), it actually presented a fairly positive view of Christianity, all things considered. Maybe “lower-case christianity,” almost.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Araenna posted:

It always surprises me how well Batman: TAS holds up. I always expect it to be one of those shows that was a fairly good kids' show that just sticks in our memories as really good because we were kids and it was better and different than a lot of kids' shows at the time. But then I actually see an episode, and it's like oh yeah, these characters are all written well, and Bruce Wayne has a personality beyond "playboy", and the music and whole style is awesome. It's a legit good show that holds up well, and there's a reason beyond "It's what I was exposed to as a kid" that a lot of people find it to be one of the best portrayals of Batman and the Joker.
All of the 90s-2000s Warner Bros. DC shows are good. Batman, Superman, Justice League, JLU, Young Justice, I forget the others. JLU and Batman are especially great.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Araenna posted:

As far as actually on topic, a lot of old SNL is terrible. A lot of classic skits are really, really cringy. Like Pat, or the John Belushi samurai skit. Hell, it wasn't that long ago they had Fred Armisen in black face playing Obama because Keenan was the only black guy. I think they get away with some stuff because a cast that small isn't going to have people of the right ethnicity, build, and ability to imitate everyone that they want to satirize? But poo poo like yellowface is still being done instead of either hiring more asians, or just not doing skits about asians. I get Kim Jung Un and poo poo like that, but maybe don't invent characters and skits if you don't actually have someone of that race to play them. Judging by trying to google older lovely skits though, looks like they still do a lot of asian face, and at least once not long ago Colin Jost said democrats lost the election because trans people have too many genders or some poo poo.

The Pat one still makes me so mad though. Definitely one of the things that made me loathe and be disgusted by myself for being nonbinary for so long.

Yeah SNL has some major issues, even today. Michael Che, the other Weekend Update anchor, likes to make pretty tasteless and unfunny jokes and then takes any and all criticism way too personally.

Jimmy Fallon straight-up did blackface when he played Chris Rock. For some reason it's very hard to find a video of it online anymore...

Plus so many videos have really homophobic portrayals or "jokes". The characters Fred Armisen and Seth Meyers play in this sketch are particularly egregious, and it's only like ten years old.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Samuringa posted:

It was HUGE in the UK, and I'm surprised it wasn't renewed after its initial run and its word-of-mouth success. A show in a similar vein (theology, sex, satire, crude animation) was the British-Canadian production 'Aaargh! The Mr Hell Show' with much-loved British family comedian Bob Monkhouse playing extremely against type as the cursing, sneering title demon (and clearly having the time of his life).

https://youtu.be/qd3q2Xuxyys
We were totally fine with it. We're a godless folk..

knife_of_justice has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jun 6, 2018

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mister Kingdom posted:

John Glover is awesome.

Fixed.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ghost emoji posted:

Yeah SNL has some major issues, even today. Michael Che, the other Weekend Update anchor, likes to make pretty tasteless and unfunny jokes and then takes any and all criticism way too personally.

Jimmy Fallon straight-up did blackface when he played Chris Rock. For some reason it's very hard to find a video of it online anymore...
You know, I was thinking "He actually looks surprisingly like Eddie Murphy" but then noticed he was supposed to be Chris Rock. It's not even a good impression.

quote:

Plus so many videos have really homophobic portrayals or "jokes". The characters Fred Armisen and Seth Meyers play in this sketch are particularly egregious, and it's only like ten years old.

That one could have been funny and less offensive for 10 years ago if they actually threw the footballs well. Subverting the trope instead of leaning into it. It seems like that would obviously be more funny to even someone homophobic tbh.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

FactsAreUseless posted:

All of the 90s-2000s Warner Bros. DC shows are good. Batman, Superman, Justice League, JLU, Young Justice, I forget the others. JLU and Batman are especially great.

Counterpoint: "The Zeta Project"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zeta_Project

maltesh has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Jun 6, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FactsAreUseless posted:

Teen Titans also aired on WB Kids but I don't know if it was actually one of them but it was drat good

(the original 2003-2006 one, I don't have an opinion about the new one because I don't really watch TV anymore but I know it's polarizing to idiots)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Teen Titans also aired on WB Kids but I don't know if it was actually one of them but it was drat good

(the original 2003-2006 one, I don't have an opinion about the new one because I don't really watch TV anymore but I know it's polarizing to idiots)

TTG is basically Always Sunny for kids with DC superheroes. If that sounds like your poo poo, you'll like it, if that doesn't, you'll probably dislike it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The new one is a basically fine show for children.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Which was launched as an episode of FUTURE BATMAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EbNIFNs3UU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

Which was launched as an episode of FUTURE BATMAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EbNIFNs3UU

FUTURE BATMAN is hilarious to me in the same way as TEENAGE MUTANT HERO TURTLES or GI JOE: INTERNATIONAL HEROES

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's so good though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Batman Beyond was actually one of the ideas that the suits forced the DCAU crew to make and its testament to their skills that they actually made something genuinely good out of it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Batman Beyond was actually one of the ideas that the suits forced the DCAU crew to make and its testament to their skills that they actually made something genuinely good out of it.

what if batman was also spiderman isn't a bad concept, though

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

"Make Batman, but set it in high school!" is one of those decisions you hear about execs making and wonder just how many pills they had taken with their pre-lunch martini. Batman Beyond is a good show.

That being said, has Drawn Together aged well? Its humor was borderline offensive at the time, but fron what I remember it always seemed to be poking fun at stereotypes, and not at groups specifically. I'm afraid to rewatch it and learn that what I remember as being a borderline offensive funny cartoon (with a really lovely movie) is actually horribly offensive and I'm just a terrible person for liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody else remember Static Shock? It was surprisingly decent, hit on some heavy issues, and was pretty ahead of its time.