Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I usually have over a thousand books on my Kindles, all worked perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone with one of the giant drive kindle oasis or kobo auro ones try to load up a few gigs of books on there and see if it loads and works? As a USB drive and in calibre, I mean.

The reason I ask is I want to get one or the other, but with my nook, if I load up a ton of books the nook just flat out stops responding and I can't easily add more to it.

I don't want to drop 300 bucks on a bigger ereader if the only thing it'll do when I load a shitton of books is just stop me from ever adding anything else.

It'd be cool to have my entire collection on one ereader.

I'll download a Project Gutenberg archive and give it a go. Bear with me.

Hope the metadata on these aren't garbage. :stonklol:

Edit: Yeesh, they couldn't just give me a bunch of epubs, could they...

Edit #2: Bleh, can't find any public domain collections of epubs without :filez: dominating search results. Not interested in converting all these text files that's on Project Gutenberg DVD, sorry!

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 1, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Or go through a bajillion steps to get it on a Kindle for that matter.

:confused:

I click a button on my library’s website and it sends me to Amazon, where I “buy” the book. It gets returned automatically.

What are these steps?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

:confused:

I click a button on my library’s website and it sends me to Amazon, where I “buy” the book. It gets returned automatically.

What are these steps?

An exaggeration of course. I was more into the fact I can do it directly from the device as if I was buying a book through the store. It's just there if available on the service.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

An exaggeration of course. I was more into the fact I can do it directly from the device as if I was buying a book through the store. It's just there if available on the service.

Ah, gotcha. I could see that being a nice feature, especially if your library has a large stock of ebooks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Can someone with one of the giant drive kindle oasis or kobo auro ones try to load up a few gigs of books on there and see if it loads and works? As a USB drive and in calibre, I mean.

The reason I ask is I want to get one or the other, but with my nook, if I load up a ton of books the nook just flat out stops responding and I can't easily add more to it.

I don't want to drop 300 bucks on a bigger ereader if the only thing it'll do when I load a shitton of books is just stop me from ever adding anything else.

It'd be cool to have my entire collection on one ereader.

Not "a few gigs", but my Kobo handles ~500 books just fine via Calibre.

N.b. I haven't really tested this since the latest Kobo firmware update (the one that completely redid the UI), because I installed KOReader about that time.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It came.

Was a pleasant out of box experience. Felt good in the hands as I anticipated after handling the Oasis 2 prior. Converted my Kindle books to their offshoot epub format, kepub, to take advantage of the format's features and loaded them up, bought a book on the Kobo store to check things out though I was supposed to get 5 bucks off my first book so I guess I'll have to contact support on that. LED array is mostly fine, not as good as the Oasis 2's, but I'm not minding it. Better than my Paperwhite's more obvious light shafts however. One weird thing though is that they included an extra micro USB cable in the shipment. Only thing I can tell is that the extra one is Kobo branded. Hope the one that's in the box doesn't have problems. :tinfoil:

Gonna pick up my first library card in like 20 years this week to check out the Overdrive stuff.

It was worth the extra inch.

I'm hella jealous. Enjoy that shiny new device!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I bought my wife a Kindle Oasis for Mother’s Day but I forgot completely about a cover. She will be using it for to work and back (so in a laptop bag), in the bathtub (waterproofing made her want this so much) and around the house. A few questions:

1) Is a cover really necessary or is the Oasis pretty sturdy?
2) If a cover is needed, which one does everyone suggest? Regular cover or charging cover?
3) If you get a cover, is a screen protector necessary since you can put water on it to wipe it off?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I bought my wife a Kindle Oasis for Mother’s Day but I forgot completely about a cover. She will be using it for to work and back (so in a laptop bag), in the bathtub (waterproofing made her want this so much) and around the house. A few questions:

1) Is a cover really necessary or is the Oasis pretty sturdy?
2) If a cover is needed, which one does everyone suggest? Regular cover or charging cover?
3) If you get a cover, is a screen protector necessary since you can put water on it to wipe it off?

Regarding 2, if you bought the current gen Oasis, that does not have a charging cover. That was last gen only.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Regarding 2, if you bought the current gen Oasis, that does not have a charging cover. That was last gen only.

Okay, so charging case is out.

Do you need a case and if so, which one is recommended? Also, do you really need a screen protector?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Do you need a case and if so, which one is recommended? Also, do you really need a screen protector?

You will ultra regret not having a case, but a screen protector? Not ultra necessary honestly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kobo Clara HD info leaked by way of an Italian retailer and it's more or less what people thought when FCC info came out initially. Another 6-inch device.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/05/14/leaked-kobo-clara-hd-costs-129-ships-early-next-month/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Looks like an updated Glo HD at a lower price point, not too bad.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A screen protector seems like massive overkill. I would think you’d want a case, though. Works fine in the tub, per the wife, but all of these screens get weird if water is actually ON them at the time, you have to wipe it off or the touch sensitivity acts up. But no worries about splashing it or dropping it in the tub. Just shake it out, dry it off, and resume reading.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
If you're a shower or bath reading gremlin like me, a small Ziploc bag is a great way to prevent damage on an eReader

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Looks like an updated Glo HD at a lower price point, not too bad.

I loved my Glo HD and was very sad when it died and I found out that they'd discontinued it, leaving me with the inferior Aura, so this is exciting news.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

whomupclicklike posted:

If you're a shower or bath reading gremlin like me, a small Ziploc bag is a great way to prevent damage on an eReader

Pardon me, how the gently caress do you read in the shower?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Pardon me, how the gently caress do you read in the shower?

With a Ziploc bag. What do you mean?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

With a Ziploc bag. What do you mean?

No I mean, you just stand there reading? With water cascading over your eyes? I can see reading in a bath but in the shower it just seems odd. Fair play though, never heard of this before!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

.... why would you read in the shower? It takes like 5 minutes to wash everything.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

.... why would you read in the shower? It takes like 5 minutes to wash everything.

I've never considered reading in the shower, but...is this a real post?

I mean, even if you don't get pleasure out of a hot shower, surely you've surely heard of the fact that many human beings do?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never heard of this. Drinking in the shower, sure, but not reading. Reading in the BATH, yeah, that I've heard of.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've eaten soup in the shower before. I just take like 15 minutes.
I don't read in the shower anymore like I did in college. I also used to text in the shower in the morning because all my European friends were awake then.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I guess I'm thinking from the view of rushing to get ready in the morning.

On the weekends, a shower beer is nice to enjoy, so yeah I'll give you weirdos your shower reading I suppose.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

whomupclicklike posted:

I've eaten soup in the shower before. I just take like 15 minutes.
I don't read in the shower anymore like I did in college. I also used to text in the shower in the morning because all my European friends were awake then.

Son, you've got a condition.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
https://youtu.be/15puo-dSEIY

I used to do a warm up routine in the shower before the water restrictions went into effect in CA.

lostleaf fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 18, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I suppose the press embargo on the Kobo Clara HD is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aOFW6_jppo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRyE8B5J4Nw

Oh hey, you can even pre-order: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav&utm_campaign=Clara%20HD

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I read through the last couple pages of the thread, but I'll risk being redundant to satisfy my concerns (and wallet). I've never owned an eReader and am looking at a Kindle Voyage,. My top two priorities for an eReader are visual quality (since I typically prefer physical books) and ergonomics (particularly being able to read lying down, as I read a lot in bed). The Voyage seems to be my best bet on this, but I know basically nothing about Kobo's and haven't even glanced at a Nook.

Should I just pull the trigger on a Voyage, or is there anything else that I should consider?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Codeacious posted:

I read through the last couple pages of the thread, but I'll risk being redundant to satisfy my concerns (and wallet). I've never owned an eReader and am looking at a Kindle Voyage,. My top two priorities for an eReader are visual quality (since I typically prefer physical books) and ergonomics (particularly being able to read lying down, as I read a lot in bed). The Voyage seems to be my best bet on this, but I know basically nothing about Kobo's and haven't even glanced at a Nook.

Should I just pull the trigger on a Voyage, or is there anything else that I should consider?

How do you know you prefer physical books if you've never owned an ereader?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Codeacious posted:

For visual quality, a 300 ppi screen is most likely what you want. The Voyage has that among some of the other Kindles. Kobo does as well on their high end devices and the upcoming Clara HD. Nook does as well I believe with their currently available devices. Next is the question of ecosystem. Some people like the freedom to shop anywhere that's not Amazon and buy epubs. The Kindles are the only devices that can't read epubs without conversion. Others like Amazon's scale compared to other ebook shops and convenience, especially if you have Amazon Prime. Then there's others who don't really care, buy what they want and strip DRM and put it on their device of choice.

Can't comment on ergonomics unfortunately as I have a Kobo Aura One which is huge as hell for a non-writing e-ink device. :v:

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Thermopyle posted:

How do you know you prefer physical books if you've never owned an ereader?
I've borrowed several eReaders in the past, typically older Paperwhites or something similar. I got to try a Voyage last weekend, and it was the first time that I actually enjoyed using an eReader. The person I was borrowing it from also has a system set up to get academic PDFs onto the Kindle, which convinced me that it was worth investing in one.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

For visual quality, a 300 ppi screen is most likely what you want. The Voyage has that among some of the other Kindles. Kobo does as well on their high end devices and the upcoming Clara HD. Nook does as well I believe with their currently available devices. Next is the question of ecosystem. Some people like the freedom to shop anywhere that's not Amazon and buy epubs. The Kindles are the only devices that can't read epubs without conversion. Others like Amazon's scale compared to other ebook shops and convenience, especially if you have Amazon Prime. Then there's others who don't really care, buy what they want and strip DRM and put it on their device of choice.

Can't comment on ergonomics unfortunately as I have a Kobo Aura One which is huge as hell for a non-writing e-ink device. :v:
Part of the reason I'm looking at a Voyage is that the flush screen made a huge impression on me when I was using it; I'd definitely prefer to get a device that doesn't have the screen sunk into the bezel. The Aura One seems to have that- though it definitely seems larger than the Voyage.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Codeacious posted:

I've borrowed several eReaders in the past, typically older Paperwhites or something similar. I got to try a Voyage last weekend, and it was the first time that I actually enjoyed using an eReader. The person I was borrowing it from also has a system set up to get academic PDFs onto the Kindle, which convinced me that it was worth investing in one.

Part of the reason I'm looking at a Voyage is that the flush screen made a huge impression on me when I was using it; I'd definitely prefer to get a device that doesn't have the screen sunk into the bezel. The Aura One seems to have that- though it definitely seems larger than the Voyage.

It most definitely is. Here it is next to my old Paperwhite which is similar in size to the Voyage.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That 6" vs 8"?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wibla posted:

That 6" vs 8"?

6” vs 7.8”

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Looking to get a new ereader. I haven't had one since the Kobo Glo I loved got broken. Currently debating between the new Kobo Clara HD or a Paperwhite. Both are 6" and $139.99 CAD. I liked the simplicity of not needing to convert file formats to get library books onto the Kobo (which also has double the storage). It looks like the Kindle bookstore has a slightly better/different selection of books. Anybody have opinions on one of these over the other?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I have a Kobo and I personally don't find the process of stripping DRM and converting stuff I buy from the Kindle store too much of a hassle (especially since I don't have to do it too often, since it's often the more niche books that don't get onto the Kobo store). But I also keep my Kobo on airplane mode all the time so it doesn't download books I buy off the store since I make everything go through Calibre first, so I'm probably an edge case more than anything.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

kurona_bright posted:

I have a Kobo and I personally don't find the process of stripping DRM and converting stuff I buy from the Kindle store too much of a hassle (especially since I don't have to do it too often, since it's often the more niche books that don't get onto the Kobo store). But I also keep my Kobo on airplane mode all the time so it doesn't download books I buy off the store since I make everything go through Calibre first, so I'm probably an edge case more than anything.

You are me. I go on an Amazon buying binge and then it's batch-processing a bunch of stuff at once to shove it onto the Kobo, which is always in airplane mode unless I want to look for a library book, which is rarely because my success rate is so low at finding what I want there :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, that's the one thing the Kindle has over kobo is the ability to email books to your reader.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

If you were so inclined, you could set up your own ebook "storefront" on your home network. There's a couple apps out there (Calibre included with some setup) now that let you host your ebooks on an ereader friendly webpage through OPDS so you can access your collection to download to your device on wifi without ever having to connect it physically to your computer.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Yea, that's the one thing the Kindle has over kobo is the ability to email books to your reader.

This is honest to God the only reason I haven't jumped ship yet. C'mon Kobo, it ain't so hard.